"Chester - The Art Of Youth Development"

Tactic Master

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Always good to see youth given a chance. I'm hoping to have the time to start my own campaign soon. Probably in Northern Ireland' date=' which I have taken a fancy to. :D[/quote']

It's more fun than some people think and provides a great challenge. I picked England because the thread I visited (the one in my OP) was based on England and also, I think that despite all the money being in England, it's a bigger challenge to get to the top, than it would be in a smaller country with a lot less leagues. I suppose once I reach the Premiership, Northern Ireland is a harder task.

2013/2014 Youth Intake!

Although I was hoping for more than one "definate" top talent, i'm over the moon! I've got my first San Marino player :) Not only that, he's the best of the bunch! I have high hopes that I could train him up well and he will play for San Marino in no time!

ChesterYouthCandidates.png

There are some decent talent in there which I will sign, as the current players in the first team squad are dropping stats wise, which means i'll need players to take over!

Overview.png

He appears to have some unpredictability in him, very fast for this level of football, determined which is a big bonus, could be a future free-kick taker possibly, decent technique on the ball and works hard.

Report.png

Potentially a leading League 2 left midfielder, which isn't bad at all, but i'm waiting for a report back from my Assistant Manager, to see what he thinks.

I have just looked through all my players with a Current Ability of 3half to 5 stars and Potential Ability of 4 to 5 stars and i've set up some very unique training schedules, aimed at their role in the club. We have schedules for Poachers, Target Men, Ball Winners, Playmakers, Wingers and even Limited Defenders, plus more! If these work out, then i'll post them on the forum for people to use. I've created them with how I think they would fit best with the role.

Training Schedules Preview

I've got 3 schedules to display and I would like your opinions on them if possible. This is just basically my take on how to create a schedule for that specific role.

Note: I always use individual training to focus on a specific stat that is too low or I want to get high. Example... If a Poacher has 5 finishing, it obviously needs to be focused on.

Poacher-2.png

The Poacher schedule, after taking a second look, i'm not too sure if i've given enough Strength Training, so your opinions on that are needed. I feel a poacher needs to be able to accelerate fast and have pace to get to the ball, so i've put Aerobic up high. Also a poacher needs to be good at anticipating and decision making, so i've put tactic training up high. He's a poacher, so he doesn't need to worry as much about his technique and dribbling, but he still needs some training to improve his first touch. I've often seen strikers go in for a tackle and turn it into a goal, so I believe all strikers need some defence training, with extra for poachers. The attacking slot is up just passed halfway, as with my team, I feel all players need to know how to pass, cross and create. Shooting is self explanatory, he needs this most because he's a poacher and need to know how to finish.

TargetMan.png

A Target Man needs to focus more on his Strength training than Aerobic training, because he needs strength over pace, basically for going up for headers and holding up play. He will need to be a good decision maker and be able to anticipate, but equally needs to be able to dribble well, have a good first touch etc. Once again, he has a slight bit of defensive training, whilst having decent training for passing and creativity etc. Shooting is once again the main training focus as he's a striker.

CompleteForward.png

A complete forward needs the ability to do almost anything, he needs to be equally strong, whilst have good acceleration and pace, along with decision making, dribbling, creativity etc. The main focus being his shooting abilities. If you think i've got this one wrong, please give me your advice :)

Monthly Updates

March

March.png

After a difficult month in February, losing many matches, we finally put a bit of form together! It wasn't the best of months, but we only lost once and I will take anything at this stage! Just to justify the results a bit more, 5 out of 6 of those games were against teams in the top 10!

April

April.png

April was very much like March, with some very difficult matches. It seems that we just couldn't win this month, except the shocking victory over Mansfield. The Kettering match has to go down as a very bad results, with Kettering in last place and already relegated, so I would have expected so much more from that game, but it wasn't to be!

End Of Season Report To Follow Soon!

End Of Season Report 2013/2014

This season, we would be challenging in the Blue Square Premier, after a successfull Play-Off Final in the Blue Square North against Darlington! The BSP would definately provide us with a huge challenge and it's down to the players to prove that we deserve to be here...

Squad Stats

We were inconsistent all season really, with only one or two players with consistent form and the rest picked up AVMR's between 6.60 and 6.80! Gary Beckford YPO1 was arguably one of our best players, despite his awfull AVMR, picking up 15 goals to become the top goalscorer for the club this season, whilst assisting 9 goals, which was the second best after Matt McGinn. Ryan James was our star at Centre Back and when he got injured, the squad fell to pieces and we couldn't win matches, so he's been very important and the best player in the squad by far. Manuele De Petrillo YP02 stepped in late on in the season to provide 4 assists in just 5 games! If he can hit that sort of form next season, we might just better ourselves!

Squad Training

Just a quick note on our training. We have brought in 2 new coaches during the season, after the board allowed us 2 extra. This has allowed us to bring fantastic training to our players and i'm sure you would agree if you have a look at the star ratings for coaching above.

Squad Tactics

Here are the tactics I used in April and what I intend to use next season. I'm hoping that with a few tweaks to player instructions, I might be able to get something better out of the squad. At times it was painfull to watch the team, so this is why I made swift action to change things tactics wise.

Transfers

The "Transfer Proof" for the season!

Finance Summary

Overall, for the season, we've struggled with outgoings, but we've ended with £77k in the bank on the 1st June. Hopefully this will improve next season, but I wouldn't put a bet on it!

Blue Square Bet Premier

17 wins, 13 draws and 16 losses... We can't complain at our 13th place this season as we were very much expected to be in a relegation dog fight! An amazing finish to the season, saw us keep the spot that we have rarely vacated all season! The only thing that has worried me a lot this season is the amount of goals we concede and i'll be looking to rectify that for next season.

FA Cup

4th Qual Round: Southport 1 - 2 Chester

1st Round: Chester 3 - 1 Gloucester

2nd Round: Chester 1 - 1 Swindon

2nd Round Replay: Swindon 3 - 1 Chester

Overall, very pleased to have reached the second round and pushed Swindon right till the end. They are a League 1 side, so we can be very proud of our draw and we weren't bad in the replay either! It definately brought in some money and is key to the fact that we still have money at the end of the season.

FA Trophy

1st Round: Chester 1 - 1 FC United

1st Round Replay: FC United 1 - 1p Chester

2nd Round: Northwich 1 - 2 Chester

3rd Round: Chester 0 - 2 Macclesfield

I was hoping for a longer run, but we came up against an extremely strong Macclesfield side and we were never expected to beat them! Hopefully next season we can go a bit further...

GoalOfSeason.png

[video=youtube;8ss-CjWtKaM]

Verdict: A fantastic season for Chester really and I couldn't find much fault, especially for a team that has brought 0 players in and relied on youth intake. As shocked as I was, I have been voted 2nd for Manager Of The Year!

Progress Update - Beginning Of Season 2014/2015

After a fantastic season in the Blue Square Premier last season, finishing 13th, the table is set and it only requires us to better ourselves, come out with more wins, instead of drawing games and we could push for the play-offs! Lets see how we got on so far, starting with pre-season friendlies!

Pre-Season

Pre-Season.png

A very tough Pre-Season compared to our last 2 seasons, but after only just staying above the red zone financial wise, I decided we needed some money spinners! Some of these teams approached us for a friendly, whilst the 2 cups and a few other friendlies were done by me. We ended pre-season with a massive £500k in our bank!

August

August-1.png

A brilliant start to the season and against a few tough teams aswell! We have been shutting shop at the back and getting that all important goal. The Accrington game was probably the most amazing result. Ebbsfleet are one of the best teams in the division, so we can be forgiven for not beating them. The only downside to this month, was Gary Beckford YP01's injury against Cambridge, keeping him out for the next 5 - 6 weeks.

League Table

LeagueTable-14.png

It's only early days, but I'm hoping we can get in and around our current position at the end of the season. We have a few tough games coming up, but also some winnable ones as well, so it will be interesting to see where we are at the end of September!

Manuele De Petrillo YP02 Watch

DePetrillo.png

Our best player so far with 2 goals and 3 assists, whilst picking up Man Of The Match twice! He's an absolute menace for other teams on the pitch and they struggle to contain him at times. I hope this form continues!

Junior Coaching Upgrade

JuniorCoaching.png

This is just what we needed! It's taken a while, but finally the option was made available and despite a set back in talks at first, I managed to win the board round on the idea! This is fantastic news for me, as we need to start producing more quality players.

FA Cup Action - WARNING: Shocking Content!

The FA Cup is the holy grail for this club and in past careers, it has been a trophy that I love to win and have managed on several occasions! Last season was exceptional for us in the FA Cup, reaching the 2nd Round, which I consider to be very good. It provided us with some healthy income, aswell as making teams aware of our presence. This year, we are looking to go one better!

2014/2015 FA Cup

This season, we were drawn against an familiar opponent in Alfreton! This 4th Qualifying Round tie would see us go up against a team that we have a well known dislike for. They beat us to the BSN title, whilst also causing problems for us last season. Here is what followed in this sensational tie...

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

(Home Game) Chester 0 - 0 Alfetron

Alfreton made us work for this draw, there is no doubt about that, with 20 shots to our measly 5, whilst we got 0 on target! We were never going to win and I was thankfull, after biting all my nails off, that the final wistle went! I think it's fair to say, that we have a huge task ahead of us in a few days time for the replay.

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round Replay

(Away Game) Alfreton 0 - 2 Chester

I decided that after one of out worst performances of the season a few days ago, I would change the tactics, hopefully in our favour! Although we didn't match them possession wise, I think we fully deserved out victory in this match, mostly down to the brilliance of Antoni Sarcevic who scord the brace. There was a sacrifice made during this match, as Steve Caroll picked up a pretty bad injurt, but he wont care so much as we got the result we wanted and needed!

FA Cup 1st Round Draw

This was the draw that could make or break us and we ended up with the following game...

(Home Game) Chester Vs Port Vale

Port Vale are a League 1 side, which potentially looks like a very dangerous tie for us. We beat a League 2 side last season in the 1st Round, but this could possibly be asking too much. Despite all the negatives, we do have a couple of positives, one being we are playing at home, whilst the other is we are playing against a team with very low morale, who are sitting in 23rd in League 1, with only 3 wins from 17 games! Here are some images of our shocking content!

Shock.png

ChesterFACup.png

A brilliant victory with 10 men from the 10th minute! Port Vale fully deserve their 23rd place in League 1 and we proved that today with a sensational victory! Bring on the 2nd Round!!!

Great win, hopefully that will get you a good draw for the 2nd round and a decent cash boost.

I have to say, I wasn't expecting this...

CrayWanderers.png

I'm not sure which league they are in, but it's somewhere below the BSN/BSS! Although I wont be taking them lightly, because they mananged to beat Boreham Wood who are in the BSP aswell!

Season 2014/2015 - 3 Month Update

As you all know, we started the season in brilliant fashion, with several good results. I have since played on for another 3 months and it's time to see where we are at! You may have already noticed my FA Cup update, which I intend to update as we go along, if we get further. We have since played against Cray in the 2nd round, so you will find the result in the Novemeber update below.

September Update

September-1.png

After a fantastic August, we moved into September with high hopes, but knew we had to play against some very difficult teams. Dag & Red, Dartford, Gateshead and Bath were 4 extremely difficult matches to tackle and was made worse as they were one after the other! This could have caused problems with morale, but luckily we some how came out with 2 wins out of 4. We expected our victories over Boreham Wood and Welling, so it was fantastic to pick up maximum points from those matches, to put us in good stead in the league!

October Update

October-1.png

October saw us go unbeaten, probably for the first time ever in an entire month (I think i'm right!), which we can be very pleased with considering the opposition yet again, on par with last month! This month also saw us go face to face with self made rivals Alfreton (self made, meaning I believe them to be rivals!), dipping out toes into the FA Cup for the first time this season and beating them in the replay in their own back yard! Unfortunately, we found out on the 30th that we would play League 1 opposition in the 1st round...

November Update

November.png

This month was devastating for our Blue Square Bet Premier charge, with a defeat to Stockport and 3 draws! I would like to say, I think that we have had the toughest start to the season out of any clubs and I believe December could possibly be an easy month after getting all these difficult matches out of the way. Despite the heartache in the BSP, we found ourselves in the FA Cup! An abolsute cracking and shocking match against Port Vale, beating them with 10 men over 80 minutes (3-1) and then moving on to non-league Cray, budging ourselves into the 3rd round for the first time ever!

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw - Interesting Matches

Chelsea Vs Man Utd

Fulham Vs Aldershot

Reading Vs Dag & Red

Middlesbrough Vs Man City

Plymouth Vs Arsenal

Newcastle Vs Gateshead

Chester Vs Fleetwood or Bath City!!! (Both BSP)

Chesterfield Vs Derby

We got the easiest draw in the entire FA Cup draw!!! There will only be 4 lower league teams and none are lower than the BSP, with all 4 being from the BSP, (Ourselves) Chester, Dag & Red, Gateshead, & Fleetwood or Bath City! If we can manage to get into the 4th Round and we get a decent draw from League 1 or below, I believe we could be in with a good chance!

League Table

LeagueTable-15.png

Despite a difficult month in November, we have only played 20 games, compared to some teams above us who have played 21 and 22 games and our league position might be 11th, but there are only 4 points between 11th and 4th! I think if we can start scoring and winning these games that we keep drawing, then we could push for a play-off position!

Looks like you could be going to Wembley if the FA Cup draws continue to be so kind!!

That would be amazing, but I very much doubt it :D The FA Cup draws have been a bit back to front this season really, picking up Alfreton was a difficult first match, then League 1 side Port Vale was a horrible draw, but then non-league, now BSP! You'd normally expect it to be the other way round :D

FA Cup Action Continued...

First off, we will recap on our success in the cup so far!

4th Qualifying Round

(H) Alfreton 0 - 0

(A) Alfreton 0 - 2

1st Round

(H) Port Vale 3 - 1

2nd Round

(H) Cray Wanderers 1 - 0

Everything was going to plan and we managed to get an unbelievable draw for the 3rd round, playing either Bath City or Fleetwood Town! We couldn't have been luckier if we'd tried. This meant we had a massive chance of reaching the 4th round, if we consider the league positions of both clubs, compared to our own! This is how proceedings went...

3rd Round

BathCityH.png

It didn't exactly go to plan against bath and they dominated the match, so we should be greatfull with the 1 - 1 draw! It looks like we will have to end this in their own back yard!

3rd Round Replay

BathCityA.png

Another nail-biting match against Bath City, which they once again dominated for some reason, but we are very resilient and thankfully we have reached the 4th round because of that! It's also good to see 3 of our most consistent performers, put the ball in the back of the net in the penalty showdown!

The 4th Round Draw - Some Interesting Pairs!

Norwich Vs Aston Villa

QPR Vs Huddersfield

Man City Vs Sunderland

Wolves Vs Newcastle

LIVERPOOL VS CHESTER

Coventry Vs Tottenham

Southampton Vs Arsenal

Man Utd Vs West Brom

Looking at the draw, only one team would have given us a chance of reaching round 5 and even that was highly unlikely! Therefore I was over the moon about an away game against Liverpool, one of the biggest teams in the draw! This is one hell of a money spinner for us and we will enjoy it for sure! To even be part of the 4th round, being 2 leagues apart, from League 1 Coventry as the smallest club left, it's amazing and the draws for each round have been on our side for sure!

4th Round Action!

Liverpool.png

Although Liverpool didn't field a full strength side, they still had players like Glen Johnson, Jonjo Shelvey, Steven Garrard, Jordan Henderson, Andres Guardado and Andy Carroll, with Stuart Downing coming off the bench aswell! Even the second string players who played were of Championship and League 1 standard! I think we did extremely well not to get slaughtered and kept the scoreline respectable and our confidence intact!

As was expected, this game against Liverpool was going to be a super money spinner for us and these are how things look in the financial department!

Finances.png

£1,000,000!!! I can't believe we are at such a good standing as a BSP team and will help us an awfull lot over the coming seasons!

Verdict: This has to go down as a huge success for the club, not only reaching the 4th round, but also the scoreline against Liverpool, which went to prove how resilient we are! The dressing room is right behind me and if you'd asked me this time last season if we'd be in this position, I would have had my doubts... The dressing room was a nightmare, but I put my foot down and didn't let players walk all over me and it's paid off.

Junior Coaching Upgrade

After our success in the FA Cup this season, I decided to go straight to the boardroom and ask for yet another upgrade to our Junior Coaching! It hasn't been long since the last upgrade, so lets see what happened...

JuniorCoaching-1.png

Brilliant stuff! I never expected to be pushed right up to "Excellent Junior Coaching"! I am definately looking forward to March this season!

Monthly Updates (December - March)

It's time to come back from where we left off in the last monthly update! We were 11th place with 1 or 2 games in hand depending on the team and were close enough to reaching the play-off spots! How has the team played since?

December

December-1.png

This month, we lost narrowly to Macclesfield and York which was difficult to take, but they are top teams. We also got dumped out on the first hurdle in the FA Trophy, but i'm not too bothered as it will save energy later in the season. Apart from that we picked up 10 points which we can be happy with!

January

January-2.png

This month may not look like much, but for me it was fantastic! We hit the £1mil mark in finances after the Liverpool game on the 31st! I do wish we could have put the Ebbsfleet and Dag & Red games to bed, but it wasn't to be.

February

February-2.png

A fantastic month going unbeaten, but yet again, I wish we could put the games to bed, but unfortunately we either don't score or we score but concede too many, it's a vicious circle! The Welling game was so unlucky because we dominated, but they stole 2 goals late on...

March

March-1.png

Yet again we had that problem where we score goals, but conceded too many against Hereford. The new youth-intake players missed out on playing the game against 1st placed Dover, but were picked for the Forest Green and Stockport game! Stockport at 2 places behind us and we thrashed them!

League Table

Verdict: We have come a long way this season and over the past 2 games we have looked even stronger, since the youth intake! I really do believe we now can push for a higher position in the league table and it's still possible to come 1st place, although I wont push my luck!

Youth Intake 2014/2015

Youth Intake CA/PA

I'm over the moon with this years youth intake and it mostly boils down to the amazing run in the FA Cup which secured us some very nice finances and allowed me to ask the board for yet another upgrade only shortly after already agreeing to one. This time the chairman pushed our Junior Coaching up the Excellent! Here are the 4 players i've decided to tag, going back on my previous rule of 1 per intake, due to the pure brilliance of these players!

RodDelfounesoYP03.png

This Central Midfielder has some huge potential, but I will definately need to focus on his passing ability to allow him to link up easier. He definately has a chance at a spot in the CM for the rest of this season!

KylePopeYP04.png

Kyle Pope is definately more of a striker than a winger with horific crossing ability and I think he could become a future star for the club, but with another striker in the youth intake, whilst having Beckford on form currently, he may struggle!

ChristianWalshYP05.png

I'm excited about this guy and so are the coaches! He's the perfect partner for Beckford in my eyes and i'm looking forward to the rest of the season as he's rated 2nd best behind Beckford!

CiaranWoodYP06.png

I've been hoping for a top class Center Back to come through the ranks and my prayers have been answered! Absolutely fantastic intake and he will fit in perfectly next to Bilal!

Wood looks very promising.

One of the coaches thinks he could be a good League 1 defender if he reaches his potential, whilst the rest believe a leading league 2 defender. Bilal is already top quality and they think he will far exceed him, so it's looking good! :)

End Of Season Report - Chester - Season 2014/2015

Please Note: I have decided to add a little bit extra to my updates now with "Video's & Commentary". I will still have screenshots available as requested, but all the detail will go into the video as I feel that reading reports can sometimes be boring for people, unless you like reading!

For best results, view in 720p HD and Full Screen

[video=youtube;NxfNfbux1q4]

Important Images

Blue Square Bet Premier Table

Transfers

Finances

Chester Squad

Youth Intake Images

Youth Intake 2014/2015

Gary Beckford YP01

Manuele De Petrillo YP02

Rod Delfouneso YP03

Kyle Pope YP04

Christian Walsh YP05

Ciaran Wood YP06

Season Verdict: A brilliant season that has seen us get promoted to League 2! Very pleased with the squad this season and over the moon with this seasons youth intake, with 4 players who I think will definately make the grade! Next season will be extremely difficult, but hopefully this squad i've been assembling will become better as the season goes along.

Season      Division   Position   Achievement

2012/2013   BSN        2nd        Promotion Via Playoffs
2013/2014   BSP        13th       Mid-Table
2014/2015   BSP        4th        Promotion Via Playoffs

Season 2015 - 2016 End Of Season Report

Chester - League 2 - First Season

This was my first season in League 2 and the Football Leagues, a massive achievement for the club! Initially, I knew that this would be a very tough season and I set myself a few goals which I will now outline...

Season 2015/2016 Goals

1. Avoid Relegation - Achieved
  2. Wages Below 10k - Achieved (Below 8k)
  3. Have a player score a hatrick - Not Achieved
  4. Maintain Good Finances - Achieved (£748k)

League Table - League 2 | Fixtures - January To June | Squad - Team Stats | Youth Intake - March 2016

A very strong end to the season after a run of only 1 win in 16 games, we won 4 out of our last 6! The victory over Stevenage ensured our survival from relegation as they were 23rd and we won that match in style! We were also the team to end Exeter's hopes of survival after our 1 - 0 victory ensured their relegation from League 2. Finally, to prove how many strides we've made over the last 2 seasons, we managed to beat Luton (4-2) in our last game of the season. Some of you may remember my infamous loss to Luton 3 seasons ago in the BSP, where we lost 8 - 0! This was a sort of pay back for this growing squad of players.

On another note, I am unsure if my actions at the end of last season and the start of this season may have been the reason why we struggled this season, letting several original players leave and bringing through my YP's + other youth players, but we will never know and despite our problems, I feel I have done the right thing, as this should secure our long term plan. The original players were getting old and the only way I could see us securing our future was to go with the youth players development, whether they were YP's or not.

League Cup

Our first venture into the League Cup, with our first opponent in Round 1 being Huddersfield Town! As you would imagine, we didn't fair too well against this Championship side, beaten 2 - 0... I feel the scoreline was respectable considering the major revamp I had put in place.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

2nd Round North: Bury 0 - 1 Chester

Quarter Final North: Bradford 0 - 0 Chester (W - Penalties)

Semi Final North: Carlisle 1 - 0 Chester

We were knocked out by a very good side in Carlisle and I think that we did well to reach the Semi-Final North! Hopefully next season we can step it up a notch.

FA Cup

1st Round: Dag & Red 1 - 2 Chester

2nd Round: Crawley 1 - 1 Chester

2nd Round Replay: Chester 2 - 1 Crawley (After ET)

3rd Round: Luton 0 - 0 Chester

3rd Round Replay: Chester 1 - 0 Luton (After ET)

4th Round: Bournemouth 2 - 1 Chester

Once again we reached the FA Cup 4th Round and this time round we got lucky with the draw, with League 1 Bournemouth the only thing standing in our way of reaching a record 5th round! Unfortunately, they were just too good for us... Despite the scoreline only being 2 - 1, they dominated every area of the pitch and the scoreline flattered us really. Unfortunately this meant that we didn't get the sort of money we were looking for and I wish we had been drawn against a bigger side.

Club Finances | Club Transfers | Junior Coaching Upgrade

This season, our club finances have dropped, but we are still going very strong in that department thankfully and to top of our season of survival, we got some brilliant news on 1st June, as the board accepted my request of an upgrade to the Junior Coaching, bringing us up to Exceptional! Very pleased with this outcome!

This seasons YP Watch

Gary Beckford YP01

Manuele De Petrillo YP02

Rod Delfouneso YP03

Kyle Pope YP04

Christian Walsh YP05

Ciaran Wood YP06

Eric Davidson YP07

Brett Smart SYP01

This season brings in YP07 (Eric Davidson - CM) and a newly tagged SYP01 (Brett Smart)

Season      Division   Position   Achievement
2012/2013   BSN        2nd        Promotion Via Playoffs
2013/2014   BSP        13th       Mid-Table
2014/2015   BSP        4th        Promotion Via Playoffs
2015/2016   L2         18th       Avoided Relegation

Archived