One Day We'll Basque In Glory!

B.W.G

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks :D We're up to 14 points but just suffered out first defeat in six games as we lost 3-1 to Espanyol.Sevilla are next up but all the pressure is on them,if they get a bad result against us then their managed could end up being sacked :lol:

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - October 2017

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-68.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-2.png

Manager's Thoughts

We picked up vital points and a vital win against Zaragoza and Real Sociedad as these points are vital towards succeeding in the battle against relegation.The defence played a key part in avoiding defeat,without them playing so well then we would have undoubtedly lost.The game against Espanyol saw a vast difference in class and quality as we were outplayed throughout the whole game,the fact that they scored our goal says it all really.The game against Sevilla was a dirty affair as it saw us receive 5 bookings and a red card while Sevilla received seven bookings but they also had a goal disallowed so we were quite lucky to leave the match with a point.

My worry for the month comes in the form of Iker Sola,his discipline has been extremely poor as he has received 6 yellow cards and 2 red cards in 8 appearances,he shouldn't even be that high and his aggression is low so I can't understand why he has poor discipline unless he tackles like Paul Scholes.November is probably a easier month league wise and then we have our Copa del Rey fixtures against Xerez which I will be looking to win.

coentrao - To be fair,we've not exactly have faced the more difficult teams,just wait till you see the fixture list for December and January!

AK22 - Thanks :D The problem with Atletico Madrid has been their finishing although their defence is brilliant.

SRL88 - Thanks fella :D

JackJCFC - Thanks :D I've not even faced them yet,my start to the season will be alot easier then my end.

deltablue - Would be amazing but who knows what will happen.At the moment it is Real Madrid,Malaga and Barcelona > everyone else.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - November 2017

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-69.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-3.png

Manager's Thoughts

Deal with the League first,Malaga stomped us badly,the quality difference between the two teams was ridiculous.We fought well against Sporting and drew 2-2,the remarkable thing was that we were 2-0 down after 80 minutes.A vital win against Alaves saw Sola score a double to help us in the battle against relegation but not only that,we actually won this game with 9 men!.Mallorca absolutely dominated us in the final league game,they had 23 shots,we have 5,they score from open play and we score from a controversial penalty,not that I'm complaining.

The Copa del Rey saw us face Liga Adelante side Xerez,a well disciplined performance saw us win 2-0 to give us the advantage on away goals.The 2nd leg was even but it was frantic from both sides but our superior finishing saw us win 5-2 on the night and 7-2 overall.With regards to the 5th round draw,we have been drawn against the Copa del Rey holders,Athletic Bilbao.Bring it on!

December starts with tricky fixtures against Deportivo and Hercules and just ends in two hellish games against Barcelona and Real Madrid.....the Christmas break cannot come quick enough!

Stellar debut season at the top level so far, get as much points as you can before the Barça and Real games because if that goes too wrong it could hurt your team's confidence for a while.

Thanks :D That's true,after my games against Deportivo and Hercules,we have Barcelona,Real Madrid,Athletic Bilbao and At.Madrid (as well as facing Athletic twice more in the Copa del Rey).Think I definitely got the short straw with regards to fixtures.

Tactic Master - Thanks :D Overachieving seems to be my speciality.The other two promoted teams are in a relegation battle for sure.

deltablue - Thanks :D We lost to Barcelona 2-1 but we got a point against Real Madrid as we drew 2-2.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - December 2017

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-70.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-4.png

Manager's Thoughts

That was an absolutely brilliant month considering who we were facing.An unlikeyl victory against Deportivo saw Iker Sola score the only goal in what I class a priceless victory.In a pretty even game against Hercules,Iker Sola was again man of the moment as he netted twice which included an 89th minute winner to record another victory to keep out hopes of a European spot up.Barcelona absolutely dominated the match,yet we only lose 2-1 while we scored with our only shot on target,once again Sola had to be centre of attention,this time he was sent off for the third time this season!The game against Real Madrid saw us take a 2-1 lead after 15 minutes,it looked like we would claim an unlikely victory but Cristiano Ronaldo had other ideas and netted an equalizer in the 89th minute!

December was a pretty fantastic month,hopefully January can be as kind,especially with having three games against Athletic in a row then At.Madrid.I would easily sacrifice the cup competition if it meant getting points in the league but we will see what happens.

An absolutely brilliant season so far at this stage! A point against Real Madrid is a very special one too :) Going to get people starting to notice soon!

rancer890 - We're still in the top half after a bad January.It could have been three if we just held out for a few minutes longer :(

cerud - Thanks :D It is indeed but I will still curse Ronaldo as long as he is playing.They have already noticed,Bilbao and At.Madrid wouldn't give me a break in January.

SRL88 - Thanks :D I am thankful the teams around me are just as bad :lol:

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - January 2018

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-71.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-5.png

Manager's Thoughts

The cup games were up first so lets start with them,the first leg saw a thrilling encounter with the number 1 Basque team Athletic,the game saw saw seven goals,three braces and us take a slender lead to San Mames.Highlight of the first leg was Daniel Reuter scoring his first goals for the club.The 2nd leg saw us completely dominated in which we mustered 4 shots compared to their 22 but it would only take one goal to knock us out and they got.This was our 3rd loss on away goals in cup competitions in 6 seasons.

Our first league game was against Athletic and I was sick of the sight of them by now.This game wasn't as completely one sided as the 2nd leg but Athletic were the better team,the major talking point of this game was Ruben Tena scoring his first goal for the club in 20 appearances and he is a striker!The 2nd game saw 10 man At.Madrid beat us 1-0 and they were lucky by the end of the match,it was an even game but we couldn't finish our chances,when we play the return game,I reckon we could potentially upset them.The final league game was against Betis was a lot closer then the score suggested,the fact that we only had two shots on target and scored three tells you how bad a day it was for Betis.

The fact that we lost two in the league and won one but still remain 7th in the league says it all about the quality difference between the top and the rest.We need 10 points from 18 games and that is my primary target,anymore will be a bonus.For February,I will be happy with three points as that will still leave us on course for survival but I reckon we could get four of five if we play to our fullest.

A very tough month and you done well to get a win out of it to be honest. 3 league games in a month, all away from home isnt exactly the easiest of tasks.

That win was one of those where you punch the air in delight when the final whistle goes.As for the fixture list,it's just a challenge I had to overcome even if it was highly annoying.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - February 2018

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-72.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-6.png

Manager's Thoughts

Pleasing month overall,we need 6 points from 14 games which should be enough for survival.The game against Valencia was a joke,we were on course for a draw but they then score in an offside position and it's allowed to stand which was annoying.The game against Racing was quite remarkable as they were the better team but we showed what happens if you don't finish your chances,I was over the moon with the result against Villarreal as a 93rd minute equalizer from Romero snatched a point from the jaws of defeat.Almeria game was a fair result as we didn't really show up for the match till the last 15 minutes,I have to say that we were rather lucky to only concede 2.

We no come into March,we have what should be an easier game against Real Sociedad,a mid table game against Zaragoza,a fight for a European spot against Sevilla and a scary looking game against Real Madrid who only scored 21 goals in their 4 league games in February!On a bright note,March brings the Youth Candidate Day back and that is probably one of the most exciting times in the game when you only rely on players coming through!

7th Annual Youth Candidate Day

The Candidates

CDVitoriaYouthCandidatesSquad_Players-2-1.png

Markel Aranburu - MC - Spanish/Basque

MarkelAranburuOverview_Profile.png

The pick of the bunch according to my ass man (17 JPP),he is rated as a decent player for Liga Adelante on current ability but has the potential to be a leading La Liga player.Think I need to get a feeder club and loan him out for a couple of seasons.

Mikel Rodriguez - AMRC/ST - Spanish/Basque/Mexican

MikelRodrguezOverview_Profile.png

An interesting case,out the two he would be my pick but he is a curious case as he has 5* Potential Ability but all it says is he has the potential to be better then Sola's current ability.Will make a good target man in the future,also has high anticipation which is a first for my strikers.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - March 2018

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-73.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-7.png

Manager's Thoughts

We were terrible in the game against Rea Sociedad and got what we deserved which was absolutely nothing but the hair dryer treatment at full time.The game against Espanyol was pretty even but our finishing was golden but 5-1 did fatter us a lot,a fair result would have been winning by one goal.The game against Real Madrid had a whole lot of bull**** in it,we had a red card given which should never had been a red,they were given a controversial penalty which Ronaldo scored and all this happened in the last five minutes of normal time,not happy one bit.We fought back from being 2-0 down against Sevilla to draw 2-2,they took their foot off the gas and we got back in it,we were unlucky not to win it in injury time as we had a shot blocked on the line.

April is now here and we are only two points away from my target of 40.Over the season so far I have learnt how much fight my players have in them.I reckon we could get four of five points which will secure safety but I want revenge for the hammering Malaga gave us earlier in the season so I'm hoping for seven or eight.

Bloody hell, another solid intake there with another 2 good potential players. Can your youth candidate magic come to Canada, specifically to the Markham Marauders? :lol:

All I can do is give your team my blessings...maybe that will work :lol:

They are very good but will take them a few years to break the first team but they're not even close to the calibre of player Barcelona just had through,English defender Gary Hunt who is just amazing.

GaryHuntOverview_Profile.png

Quite handy looking at other teams u19's on youth candidate day to see what they get.

Quite an interesting player,on his information page it said "feels that he can become good enough to play for Spain when he qualifies for them."Can't say I've ever seen that before,I scouted him and he comes in at 4.5*CA when compared to my team but that doesn't say much seeing as we are nowhere near top quality.

We are officially safe,we have 4 games left and we have 46 points but we have slipped down to 11th.

Rodriguez has been drafted to the first team but having five strikers for two places is particularly annoying.

Thanks :D Give it a couple of season and we should be,the end of seasons has been quite bad as we've recorded one win in seven but we were safe anyway.With Regards to the players,I'll post them in a separate post straight after I've done the end of season report.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - April/May 2018

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-74.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-8.png

Manager's Thoughts

Thank god this was the end of the season and we were safe as our form was absolutely terrible.Two wins in twelve and huge sigh of relief from me,all we can do is move on but the games against Zaragoza and Mallorca gave glimpses of what we can do which we need to give that display on a more consistent basis next season.

Amazing intake again, specially Mikel Rodriguez

Does Barcelona have an English manager or someone English on their staff? It's kind of weird they get an English defender on their intake.. maybe they opened a La Masia on England as well!

It was another good intake but what I've noticed is that they are either really good or really rubbish.

I had to check on Barcelona,they don't have any Englishmen as staff.It could be that Carlo Ancelotti is their manager and he may have English knowledge from his time at Chelsea.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - End of Season 2017/18

2017/18 Transfers

To show that I am following the rules of only bringing through youth players and not signing anyone bar the youth candidates on trial.

Competitions

Liga BBVA

League Table

I really don't know what to make of this season,on one hand we were brilliant on meeting the objective of avoiding relegation but on the other,the way we finished the season was absolutely terrible.Guess I am going with the feeling of to be happy,I am going with this feeling because the average age of the squad is only 18 so we have plenty of time to grow and gain experience which will help in the future.That said,we were the highest promoted team to survive as Almeria came 17th while Alaves were relegated in 18th place.My favourite victory was the 5-1 win over Espanyol but my favourite result was the 2-2 draw with Real Madrid.

Copa del Rey

5th Round

We didn't actually enter the competition till the 4th round where we were drawn against Liga Adelante side Xerez.A well disciplined performance helped us record a valuable 2-0 victory with Sola getting both.The 2nd leg was a home leg so I let them play more freely and the fans were rewarded with an entertaining game,we ran out 5-2 winners on the night and 7-2 on aggregate.As a reward we were then drawn against Athletic Bilbao,the first leg was an exciting affair as we an out 4-3 winners which saw braces from Daniel Reuter and Iker Sola to give us a slender league.The 2nd leg was complete domination by Bilbao and we were lucky to only lose 1-0 which was more then enough to knock us out on away goals.If a positive thing came out of this,it's that we lost to the eventual victors as Bilbao beat Valencia 5-4 in the final.

Players,Stats and Awards(Screenshots of players will be done in separate post.)

Best XI 17/18 - Overall Best XI

A quick look at the Overall Player Stats for the season.

Iker Sola

Was the clubs top scorer hitting 20 goals in 36 appearances.I have to be honest,he did have a weird season as not only did he score 20 goals but he also picked up 14 yellow cards and 3 red cards to claim worst discipline record for Vitoria as well as take 2nd place in La Liga standings for worst discipline.Even with the contrasting stats,he still averaged at 7.15 over 36 games.

Unai Gurrutxaga

Once again he topped the assist chart with 18 for the season which came over 41 games.I don't know how he keeps doing it as he doesn't even look that good but is able to perform like he does is quite astounding.He only needs 18 assists to reach 100 for the club and he is the closest to doing so as well.His performances saw him pick up Jugador Joven del Ano and it was a deserved award for the way he played.

Fans Player of the Year - Rodolfo Bodipo

Bodipo claimed Fans Player of the Year for the 2nd season running and once again he fully deserved the award.Was the clubs most consistent performer as he averaged at 7.29 over 36 appearances which is very impressive but not as impressive as topping the Key headers chart for La Liga and he was 32 above his nearest competitor.Joined the Spanish u21 club we have going so it looks less and less likely he will play for Equatorial Guniea at some point.

Special Mention - Miguel Angel Rodriguez

Had no problem with the step up into top flight and was one of the more consistent performers,had a couple of injuries which made him miss a few games as well as one of those who found him suspended.Scored 11 in 38 appearances as well as providing 7 assists.His performances saw him awarded with a Spanish u21 cap in which he should go on to make a few more appearances for them.

Overview

For our first season in top flight,we did extremely well in coming 12 even if the end of the season was pretty terrible for us as we won two games in the last twelve matches but with having nothing to play for,I think some of the players just gave up.As for the cup,we did very well until a better side knocked us out on away goals again but at least we can say we were knocked out by the cup winners and the club I am aiming to overtake as the Basque number one.

Next season marks the beginning of a new era,first of all Club Icon Xabier Exetabarria (i.e. me!) has signed a new contract which runs to 2023 and by then I could be coming up to 600 games for the club.The facilities are continuing being improved as training and youth are being upped again,we are in a strong financial position as we were making a minimum of £1 million profit a month last season.The final and most important is the relocation to the 15,500 seated Vitoria Stadium,to mark a special occaision,we will face French side Evian at the start of pre-season and Italian side Brescia at the end of pre-season,I did want one of the big European teams but they refused.

Season        Division            League       Cup       Continental      Avg.Att              Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Tercera Div.Grp 4       2nd         N/A           N/A            418              Promoted!  
2012/13    Segunda Division B3     9th         N/A           N/A            646              Survival!
2013/14    Segunda Division B2     9th         N/A           N/A            712          Copa RFEF Runner Up
2014/15    Segunda Division B3     3rd        1st Rnd        N/A            827          Won Promotion Playoff!
2015/16     Liga Adelante          7th        3rd Rnd        N/A           1487        Self-Proclaimed Entertainers
2016/17     Liga Adelante          2nd        4th Rnd        N/A            900              Promoted!
2017/18      Liga BBVA            12th        5th Rnd        N/A            900              Survival!

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - First XI - 2017/18

GK - Jose Zubillaga - 41 Appearances,58 Conceded and 7 Clean Sheets

DR - Inigo Santos - 32 Appearances,1 Goal and 1 Assist

DC - Rodolfo Bodipo - 36 Appearances,3 Goals and 2 Assists

DC - Ignacio Romero - 39 Appearances,3 Goals and 2 Assists

DL - Javier Barandiaran - 38 Appearances,1 Goal and 1 Assist

MC - Ricardo Santamaria - 38 Appearances,1 Goal and 2 Assists

MC - Daniel Reuter - 35 Appearances,3 Goals and 3 Assists

AMR - Miguel Angel Rodrguez - 38 Appearances,11 Goals and 8 Assists

AML - Unai Gurrutxaga - 41 Appearances,3 Goals and 18 Assists

ST - Carlos Goni - 43 Appearances,20 Goals and 8 Assists

ST - Iker Sola - 36 Appearances,20 Goals and 6 Assists (14 Yellow Cards and 3 Red Cards :p)

It was a tough decision to move Diez from the first XI but if I want to progress then I need my best players playing.On the plus side,he does make a good backup player and I think Carlos Goni will be joining him sooner rather then later on the subs bench.

Archived