One Day We'll Basque In Glory!

B.W.G

It looks like we made progress in the cups but our league form is suffering slightly.We should be in the top 4 easily but some performances have let us right down.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last game of February and it is the 2nd leg of the 1st KO round in Europa League.We produced this beauty....

VitoriavLiverpoolInformation_Overview.png

I think February 2020 is a month the Vitoria fans will never forget.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - February 2020

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-94.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-27.png

Manager's Thoughts

First up is the Copa del Rey,we were 2-1 down from the first leg and I was hoping for a sneaky 1-0 win which would see us win on away goals.The boys had other ideas and scored five from seven on target to see us record a fantastic result which saw us win 6-2 on agg!We will now face Barcelona in the final in April.

Europa League saw us up against English side Liverpool.The first leg saw us absolutely battered from start to finish and still come out with a 0-0 draw,massive credit to my defence and goalkeeper needs to be given.The 2nd leg I decided to go back to a 4-2-4 formation to give us a more attacking look,we fell behind early on but two goals in the space of a minute saw us take a 2-1 lead.We added a 3rd just after the break before Liverpool pulled one back late on.It was a deserved victory and we now go on to face Benfica in the 2nd Knockout round.On paper it looks to be an easier tie but I can't take anything for granted.

Liga BBVA saw us unbeaten in 5 but only win 2 of the matches.Against Espanyol,we really should have lost as we were absolutely appalling and a draw is more then what we actually deserved.The Almeria game saw a dominate performance from us as we battered them from start to finish,gave Ayechu his first start of the season and he scores a hat-trick.The games against Sevilla and Deportive were really boring and none of the strikers on the pitch looked like they wanted to score.The game against Osasuna was a game of few chances but we we made the most of it as we scored 3 and had a 4th disallowed wrongly but it was still good finishing from the side and a vital 3 points.

March is now here and the weird thing is that no one is running away with the league and there are no packs of teams in the top half so it will be tight till the end.The surprise is probably Barcelona under performing which will probably put Carlo Ancelotti under a lot of pressure.Youth Candidate day arrives in March and I am hoping for some defenders,in particular a natural left back or other wise some good backups will do.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - Youth Candidate Day 2020

The Candidates

CDVitoriaYouthCandidatesSquad_Players-6.png

The Star - Ander Diez

AnderDezOverview_Profile.png

Yet another top class striker and yet another selection headache as that is 7 strikers for two spots.May see if I can improve his wing positions as that could be handy in the future.

Biggest WTF Moment....Angelo Roman

AngeloRomnOverview_Profile.png

When I saw the name I thought it would be another Spanish/Basque or possibly a Spanish/Italian.What we get is a Canadian/Spanish who was born in Toronto.Has 3 star potential so definitely come in handy as a backup down the line.

I know but this save has turned out to be quite weird for hot prospects and players who will have no problem playing in Liga BBVA.I keep getting offered players from Jamaica,Panama,Uzbekistan,Canada and Honduras who I did scout just to see how they were.

He could be good in the future but he would go straight into your first eleven.I wouldn't actually mind managing Canada on this save as there are few decent players coming through.

He could be good in the future but he would go straight into your first eleven.I wouldn't actually mind managing Canada on this save as there are few decent players coming through.

He's 1000x better than whatever I have on my team! :D

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - March 2020

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-95.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-28.png

Manager's Thoughts

The big news comes in the Europa League as we knocked out Benfica to move onto the quarter-finals.The first leg saw us do a speciality of mine,a hit and run victory as we were outplayed for the majority of the game.The 2nd leg was a very even game and it was settled by a goal from Romero which secured a 2-0 aggregate victory.In the quarter finals we will face Lyon with the winners going on to face Everton or Schalke!

Our league forms saw us win five out of seven games to keep up the pressure on the teams occupying the Champions League spot and especially Barcelona who occupy 4th place.A MAR hat-trick was enough to secure victory against Zaragoza in a game which saw Sola sent off.Two 1-0 defeats put a massive dent in keeping up a title challenge,we lost to Valencia and At.Madrid but both were deserved.The games against Betis and Real Sociedad saw us dominate both teams and we could have easily scored 7 in both games.

April is a massive month for us,we have the Europa League quarter final against Lyon,the race for fourth place as well as the Copa del Rey final against Barcelona.This is the month where we need to play to our absolute best to stand any chance of progressing nationally and on the continent.

Yet another class intake, with so many great strikers maybe you should just play 5 up front and hope for the best! :lol: By the looks of it, you could easily retrain him to a left wing role, so that'll probably be the best choice. He'd be a giant winger though, almost 2 metres tall!

Also, another great season so far, hopefully you can make the Champions League.

Last game of February and it is the 2nd leg of the 1st KO round in Europa League.We produced this beauty....

VitoriavLiverpoolInformation_Overview.png

I think February 2020 is a month the Vitoria fans will never forget.

Booooooooo!!!

Coentrao - Thanks :D I think this was our best intake to date for depth wise.Benfica were rather unlucky in the first leg but at least Sporting didn't get any further either.

Scarman - Hmmmm,maybe worth experimenting with a 3-2-5 during pre-season.I didn't actually realise he was nearly two metres tall so I'm guessing Diez is another target man to add to the other two I have!Thanks :D

SRL88 - Behave :lol: At least you were in Europe this season unlike a certain Man Utd who were not in Europe what so ever this season.

Thanks :D It must suck to have Everton get further in the same competition :D

Quite miraculous,unfortunately most of the 'keepers' always seem to be strikers.I have 2 with 5* PA,2 with 4.5* PA,1 with 3* PA.1 with 2.5* PA and 1 with 2* PA.So that is 7 strikers for two positions.I also get quite a lot of wingers.This season was the first for a while where I got decent defenders in.

Knocked out on penalties by Lyon,slipped off the pace in the league.Barcelona up next in the Copa del Rey final and I was literally dreading it after recent poor performances.All I can say is set your faces to stun :eek:

VitoriavBarcelonaInformation_Overview-1.png

Put 5 past Real Madrid in the Semi-Final and now we go and stick 5 past Barcelona in the final.Think I forgive the players for recent performances.We are also guaranteed for more European football next season!

deltablue - Thanks :D

rancer890 - It does seem impressive but it's not as memorable as winning the Champions League with an all Welsh Bridgend Town side :D Think next stop will be level 8 England seeing as this Spanish file runs fine with Uncle Ron's Level 8 England.

cerud - You will one day but I guess Spain is a bit overrated with the amount of talent emerging from clubs.

Coentrao - Thanks :D My first trophy in this save and it only took 9 season!

The Star - Ander Diez

AnderDezOverview_Profile.png

Hah, FM seems to love Ander Diez's, have one in an Athletic Bilbao game who is going to be the best midfielder in the world, yours looks like he could be one of the best strikers. Amazing attributes for a newgen.

Well done on the Barca win, bet you were cheering every goal :)

scarman - Thanks :D

SRL88 - Nice to have some approval :D

cemendur88 - He does look like he could be pretty good in the future.Thanks :D I did pinch myself when the 5th goal went in as I thought I was dreaming.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - April 2020

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-96.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-29.png

Manager's Thoughts

The highlight of the month is undoubtedly the Copa del Rey Victory against Barcelona.I have to be honest,when they scored first I was dreading a long afternoon.We pulled it back before half time.The second half saw superior finishing from us in what was a even half,never in my dreams did I think we'd score four in a half against Barcelona without them scoring back.

Europa League saw us crash out in the Quarter Finals to Lyon.The first leg saw us lose 2-0 but the only person I can blame is me as I messed up the tactics and they took full advantage of it.I honestly thought that was it and decided to go all out in the 2nd leg,Iker Sola scored a brace to bring us back into the game but we cruely lost on penalties which dampened a good night of football.Overall it was a good first European Campaign and if for anything it will be memorable for knocking out Liverpool.

The league was not as satisfying,destroyed by Barcelona,barely scraped a win against Granada before very disappointing results against Sporting and Villarreal.We were firing on all cylinders against Numancia as we took them apart before a 1-0 victory against Mallorca ended the month on a high.We have three games left and still have a shot at the last CL spot but we have the hardest run in.In the last three games we will face Real Madrid,Malaga and Sevilla so I don't think I could have had a tougher run in.If we didn't throw away stupid points then we could have easily secured 4th.

Eurosport Breaking News

XabierEtxebarriaNews_Inbox-9.png

Vitoria's Iker Sola has been called up for the Euro 2020 prelim squad.Massive recognition for the 21 year old.Athletic Bilbao player Mikel Goni,At.Madrid Sergio Asenjo and Real Madrid's Ivan Vazquez also a called up.

Think everyone knows about goalkeeper Sergio Asenjo and our very own Iker Sola.Both Mikel Goni and Ivan Vazquez are both attacking players.Goni plays AMR/ST while Vazuez plays AMRC/ST.

It is,it's gone to the last game.Malaga are 4th with 68 points and face Deportivo,we are 5th with 68 points and we face Sevilla.Barcelona are 6th with 67 points and face Mallorca so we definitely have the hardest game.

At.Madrid have already won the league with Sevilla and Real Madrid battling for 2nd/3rd.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - May 2020

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-97.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-30.png

Manager's Thoughts

Only the league games,we recorded a historic win against Real Madrid as MAR scored the only goal against them to record our first victory against them in the league.The Malaga game was absolute rubbish as the ref showed a lot of bias towards Malaga.We had a controversial red card as Iker Sola was sent off unfairly,they scored in an ofside position,we should have had a second penalty and the one they missed should never had been a penalty in the first place.Overall we are still yet to record a win over Malaga in any competition,maybe next season.Our finishing in the Sevilla game cost us the match but I'm not too bothered by that as we already have got European football next season.

I know we finished lower then last season but we have actually accumulated more points which shows how close the league was.I am more then happy as we have won our first trophy in 9 seasons and will go up against At.Madrid in August for the Supercopa which will have no El Clasico teams in it for the first time since 2004 when Zaragoza won against Valencia.

rancer890 - Thanks :D I've been a bit cautious in the last couple of seasons but from next season I will just take the leash off and let them go all out.I hope so,I want to see how I would get on against the Milans,Man City,Bayern and wanting a rematch with Lyon!

SRL88 - Cheers fella :D

The point total shows that you've done better than you did last season. Too bad other clubs improved as well! :) BUt you should be seeing Championship League football soon enough.

cerud - I don't think it is was other clubs getting better,it's just that Real and Barcelona have gotten weaker.Glad we've done better this season and hopefully your right with seein CL football soon.

deltablue - It was but I still think we could of and should of done better.

AK22 - Thanks even though I was stunned by it :D I'm going to let my players off the leash and go all out,hopefully that will work.

JackJCFC - Cheer fella :D I was quite shocked that neither Real or Barcelona came in the top 2.The last time that happened was in 2002!

cswalk08 - Thanks,only took 9 seasons as well :D That will be my main aim for next season,third time lucky hopefully.

The end of season update will be next but after that there will be a major announcement.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - End of Season 2019/20

Competitions

Liga BBVA

League Table

We may have finished lower then last season but we accumulated more points so it was a more successful season.If we didn't mess up stupidly in some games then we could have easily snatched a top four spot but we didn't and that can be something we can work on next season.For the number of goals scored against the number conceded,I actually feel we finished in the right position.We need to be tighter while scoring more consistently and that is what will help us claim a Champions League spot which is definitely possible in the near future.The major talking point of the season will be the performance of Barcelona and Real Madrid as they finished 4th and 3rd respectively which having neither of the two in the top two has not happened since 2002 when Valencia and Deportivo were the top two.

Europa League

Quarter-Finals

We kicked the campaign off with a 6-1 agg victory against Vllaznia in the 4th Qualifying Round.The group stages saw us face Ajax,Spartak and Renova in what appeared to be a tough group,6 games,5 wins and a draw later we topped the group with help from gutsy performances against Ajax and Spartak.Renova were the whipping boys as we put 12 past them while conceding 1 in both games.The 1st knockout saw us against Liverpool,heroic performances from the keeper and defenders saw us draw 0-0 in the first leg before shocking them at home as we clinched a 3-2 victory to go through.The 2nd knockout saw another team who play in Red in the shape of Benfica,again we drew 0-0 in the away leg before securing victory in the home leg as we won 1-0 to go through.The game against Lyon saw a tactical blunder by me in the first leg and we lost 2-0,the second leg saw us win,draw and lose all in one match as we won 2-0 on the night which meant we drew the tie before we lost on penalties.It was a very good first campaign so no complaints from me and we will be back stronger.

Copa del Rey

Winners

We kicked things off with a 7-2 aggregate victory over Girona in the 4th round.The 5th round saw us put in two dismal performances against Racing but still just edge the tie 2-1 on aggregate.The Quarter-Finals against Hercules was like a repeat of the matches against Racing as again we put in two dismal performance and still edge the tie 2-1 on aggregate.The Semis were our first real tie as we faced Real Madrid,we lost 2-1 in a game we deserved to lose as we were poor but the 2nd leg showed our superior finishing as we won won 5-0 in the 2nd leg to claim a remarkable 6-2 aggregate victory over Real Madrid.The final was against Barcelona and to win like we did was brilliant,I never thought we would score 5 against both Real Madrid and Barcelona in the same competition.

Players,Stats and Awards

Best XI 19/20 - Overall Best XI

A quick look at the overall stats for the team.

Iker Sola

I don't believe anyone will be surprised to see that Sola was once again the top scorer for the club as he hit 29 goals in 51 appearances.I really don't know what to make of his season,he was indifferent in the league as he scored 9 goals in 30 appearances but in the cups he scored 20 goals in 21 appearances.The one thing I keep needing to remember is the fact he is only 21 and has many years left and he can only get better.He already has 129 goals to his name and I reckon he could possibly get to 500 by the time he retires.I am kind of surprised he has not been given a chance in the national team as he is one of the better Spanish scorers.

Unai Gurrutxaga

I honestly don't think anyone be surprised with this one either as Gurrutxaga topped the assist chart with 28 which just narrowly missed out on his best of 31 which was set in 2015/16.Gurrutxaga became the 2nd member of the 100 club as he has now notched up 122 assists in 271 appearances so it has been good going from him.He also game a fairly impressive return of 17 goals from 57 appearances.

Miguel Angel Rodriguez

The guy was an absolute sensation throughout the whole season with only our keeper making more appearances then him.His 60 games saw him score 18 goals which was his highest goal scoring return as well as provide 25 assists which is also a personal best.His performances in the league were 37 games,14 goals and 15 assists.His performances saw him pick up Jugador Joven del ano.

Special Mention - Rodolfo Bodipo

He was the best of the rest and does what he does best which is defend like a warrior.I am now running out of things to say about him as he is a key player and is the most consistent of the bunch.His performances saw him pick up Fans Player of the Year for the third time in four seasons.Long may this sort of form continue.

Overview

It finally happened,after 9 seasons of managing Vitoria,we won a trophy!!!The Copa del Rey saw remarkable performances against Real Madrid and Barcelona and was truly a wonderful achievement for now.Even in the league we showed improvement,we may have actually finished lower in position wise but we actually scored more points.The end was disappointing as we missed out on a Champions League spot on the last day of the season again but we will get there eventually and there is no harm in having another season in the Europa League.

The major talking point for the next few seasons is the remarkable improvement in new sponsorship which shows our rise in Spanish football.We've gone up from 2* to 2.5* and have a national rep which is pretty amazing considering where we were a few season ago.Here's to the future!

Season        Division            League       Cup       Continental      Avg.Att              Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Tercera Div.Grp 4       2nd         N/A           N/A            418              Promoted!  
2012/13    Segunda Division B3     9th         N/A           N/A            646              Survival!
2013/14    Segunda Division B2     9th         N/A           N/A            712          Copa RFEF Runner Up
2014/15    Segunda Division B3     3rd        1st Rnd        N/A            827          Won Promotion Playoff!
2015/16     Liga Adelante          7th        3rd Rnd        N/A           1487        Self-Proclaimed Entertainers
2016/17     Liga Adelante          2nd        4th Rnd        N/A            900              Promoted!
2017/18      Liga BBVA            12th        5th Rnd        N/A            900              Survival!
2018/19      Liga BBVA             5th        5th Rnd        N/A          11771        Europa League Qualification! 
2019/20      Liga BBVA             6th        Winners      Quarters       11343            Won a trophy! 

Pepe Mel has been sacked as Spain Manager after the dismal performance in Euro 2020 as they crashed out in the 2nd Round.His replacement.....me!

Spainappointment.png

This will be quite tough as the squad is ageing but it will give a chance to some of the youngsters who are starting to shine through.I will not be using the national team job as an excuse to give my players caps just because I can.We do have a few on the fringes but they will need to earn it.

Archived