One Day We'll Basque In Glory!

B.W.G

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coentrao - Thanks :D I am looking forward to it already,we go in at the 4th Qualifying Round,I think the CL may have been a step too far regarding quality.

JackJCFC - Thanks :D That's the way I am looking at it as well,hopefully it can help with increasing the youth recruitment as well.

Sevilla were also in the running but they had to play Malaga but Malaga won 2-0 and took 2nd.Hard to believe that Malaga won Liga Adelante in 2014/15 and 4 seasons later finish above Barca!

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - End of Season-2018/19

2018/19 Transfers

To show I'm following the rules by not signing anyone.The one player who left was never going to make,he wouldn't even had made the B team if we had one.

Competitions

Liga BBVA

Wow,what a season!I was hoping to finish in the top half of the table after last seasons 12th place finish but the players had other ideas and gate crashed the Europa League places as well as just narrowly missing out on a Champions League spot.We had a slow start but when things picked up,we were never in danger of being relegated which was very pleasing.We had a few injury problems around November-February but the players stuck together and ground out results.When Sola returned in March,that began the flurry of goals,from the 17th March which was his first game back,we racked up 27 goals in 12 games.The best result of the season will definitely be beating Barcelona 2-1 at Vitoria Stadium.I do have to say well done to Malaga as well,4 seasons ago they picked up the Liga Adelante title and now they finished above Barca,watch out Real Madrid,you could be next!

Copa del Rey

5th Round

We entered at the 4th round where we faced Liga Adelante side Mallorca.We lacked discipline but a tight and clinical display saw us secure a 2-0 victory in the first leg,the second leg of the tie was a bore draw with the only real highlight was us being reduced to ten men.The 5th round was a very cruel draw for us as it pitted us against Real Madrid.Considering we had 3 men suspended and 3 injured for the first leg,we can take a lot of credit from the 1-1 draw in the first leg as well as the 2-1 defeat in the second leg.It was a weakened Real Madrid side but if we had our full team available then I reckon we could have beat this weakened Real side.Real would go on to lose to Barcelona in the final!

Players,Stats and Awards

Best XI 19/20 - Overall Best XI

A quick look at the Team Stats for the season.

We won Most Improved Team which wasn't too difficult to guess as we were predicted 19th but finished 5th in the league.

Iker Sola

Your seeing that right,the guy who missed four months action with a broken foot was the clubs top scorer hitting 15 goals in 24 appearances which was a very impressive return considering the circumstances.He would have easily broke the 20 goal barrier and maybe even the 25 goal barrier as he missed up to 18 appearances during the season.His return was a relief as his return also saw the return of goals flying in during the last two months of the season.Was hard done by with the injury but he showed everyone why he is highly rated at the club after his return.

Miguel Angel Rodriguez

He has come on leaps in and bounds in the last season and topped the assist chart last season with 13 but also managed to score 10 goals as well and average at 7.20 over 36 games.Incidentally he was good all season but as soon as Sola came back,he looked pretty much unstoppable which was brilliant to see and hopefully he can do that on a more consistent basis next season.His performances saw him net Fans Player of the Year.

Special Mention - Rodolfo Bodipo

Once again,Bodipo deserves a mention as he is a very solid player who very few can actually get the best of.His wages are deserved as it is the 2nd highest behind Sola,he is the most consistent player in the team which makes him a valuable asset to both club and country.He does very well with the Spanish u21 side so will be interesting to see if he can make the senior side.He never whines about moving to a bigger club unlike some so he deserves his status as a club legend.Now has a £20 million buyout clause attached to him so that should scare some teams off.

Overview

That was another brilliant season where we proved the media critics and our doubters that we were not a flash in the pan and were here to stay with the big boys.We massively overachieved our prediction of 19th (Thanks Osasuna!) to come 5th and earn a shot in Europe in the Europa League which is probably for the best as it will help with our seeding for when we do eventually reach the Champions League.Even though we had numerous injuries and suspensions at the worse possible time,the boys showed togetherness and even put Barcelona to the sword in that period.I feel the interesting thing will be to see if we can do this again with the added test of Europe next season.

We are in a healthy financial position as we have just over £28 million in the bank,I could go for more facility upgrades but at this moment in time,I am intending to go with Youth facilities as they are slightly behind the training but I will also keep looking to see if I can extend the Youth Recruitment range as well as get a feeder club to extend our network in which I hope they will give us a foreign one to see if we get youngsters from those countries.

Season        Division            League       Cup       Continental      Avg.Att              Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Tercera Div.Grp 4       2nd         N/A           N/A            418              Promoted!  
2012/13    Segunda Division B3     9th         N/A           N/A            646              Survival!
2013/14    Segunda Division B2     9th         N/A           N/A            712          Copa RFEF Runner Up
2014/15    Segunda Division B3     3rd        1st Rnd        N/A            827          Won Promotion Playoff!
2015/16     Liga Adelante          7th        3rd Rnd        N/A           1487        Self-Proclaimed Entertainers
2016/17     Liga Adelante          2nd        4th Rnd        N/A            900              Promoted!
2017/18      Liga BBVA            12th        5th Rnd        N/A            900              Survival!
2018/19      Liga BBVA             5th        5th Rnd        N/A          11771        EUropa League Qualification!

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - Pre-Season-2019/20

Information - Facilities - Boardroom Overview - Expectations - Finances

Pre-Season Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-87.png

Pre-Season means nothing but we did have some impressive results against Leiria and Roda JC as well as stuffing Bilbao Ath!The loss against Villarrobledo was a surprise as we totally dominated them and lost.

The Team

Team Report - Tactics

Key Players

Jose Zubillaga - GK

He continues to get better with each passing season which is brilliant.I think he will eventually become a Spanish international which will be something special.Has made 183 appearances for the club and is still only 19 years old and with no one to really challenge him at the moment,he could rack up over 500 appearances with ease.Conceded 45 goals in 42 appearances which is a respectable return.

Rodolfo Bodipo - DC

Don't think I have to say anything about this Vitoria Legend.I think he will be the ideal role model for any defenders coming through the ranks.He had another season where he averaged above 7 and I hope he can do the same again this season,I am looking forward to seeing him play in the Europa League in the new season.

Miguel Angel Rodriguez - AMC/AMR

He showed why he was one of the key players last seasons.He performed brilliantly throughout the whole season and went even higher at the end of last season as he seemed pretty unstoppable in the last couple of months.He is actually labelled as a Wonderkid as well as the next Guardiola which is brilliant,I'll be damned if he doesn't get a cap for Spain in the future.I am hoping he can do more of the same in the new season,if pre-season is anything to go by then he should be able to do so.

Iker Sola- AMC/ST

Another of the Vitoria Legends and the first player to join the 100 Club by scoring 100 goals exactly by the end of last season.He was the top scorer hitting 15 goals in which he should can feel robbed as he could have easily scored over 20 goals for the club.I am hoping he can do the same this season and with the players around improving,he could have a successful season.

Overview

Same old same old,the only major difference is that we have to prepare for the Europa League this season and on paper it looks to be an easier tie as we face Albanian side Vllaznia,then I discovered they knocked out Brondby so they are definitely not to be underestimated.I will be happy with more of the same this season as we did last season in the league but would like to do slightly better in the Copa del Rey as we have gone out in the 5th round twice in two seasons.Think I have done well in the eight seasons as we have had three promotions and never won a cup so hopefully we can change that somehow.

For the future,we now have Segunda Division B side Deportivo Haro as a feeder club,we have loaned them three players so far with a fourth in the contract stage to join them on loan for the season so it is a bonus as first team action can help them develop then sitting around doing nothing.Can't increase Junior Coaching anymore so I am waiting for Youth Recruitment to become available for an increase which will help with the youngsters in the future,to further this,I will be looking at another upgrade for the Youth Facilities.I still have a contract till 2023 and by then,I reckon we could be competing for the title with the way things are going so let this longer season begin!

We didn't do too bad as we beat Vllaznia 6-1 on agg which is quite pleasing for our first fixtures in Europe.Think the biggest shock of the round was Shamrock beating Buraspor 5-2 on agg.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - August 2019

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-88.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-21.png

Manager's Thoughts

I will start with the one game in the league,we did battle hard but we just came up short against a very good Athletic side so it was an acceptable loss.September doesn't look too difficult of a month as we don't face any of the major Spanish names for a while yet so we should rack up a few points along the month.

August also saw our first outings in Europe as we faced Vllaznia,both games were really comfortable and we could have recorded a bigger aggregate victory if we finished our chances but 6-1 is a very good first outing for us.Daniel Reuter was the star of the show in the first leg as he netted a hat-trick which also equals his highest goal scoring tally in a season!It was also nice to see Iturri get on the scoresheet in both games as he continue to shows improvement.The Group Stage draw has been pretty cruel on us as we have been drawn against Ajax,Spartak Moscow and Renova,3rd is more then achievable but that gets us nothing and it will be very tough against Ajax and Spartak.

SRL88 - Thanks :D I will settle for 5-6th again and I would settle for 7th but that position is dependant on the Copa del Rey winners.We'll try our best,who knows what we can do.

deltablue - I know,put that with the 8 seasons without winning a single trophy and I think I'm starting to be a bit under pressure :lol:

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - September 2019

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-89.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-22.png

Europa League Group Stage

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages.png

Manager's Thoughts

That was a pretty good month for us as we picked up 11 points and finish the month above both Barcelona and Malaga,we are also above Real Madrid but they do have a game in hand so it has been a pretty funny start.The Europa League saw a dominate performance against Renova and we could have easily scored more then 5 if our finishing was better.September saw scrappy wins against Espanyol and Almeria as well as a dominate performance against Osasuna.The draw against Deportivo was a good one considering their high morale due to topping the table so it was good to get a point out of that match.The game against Mallorca was very disappointing,the fact we got a draw when we could of and should of lost says it all.The highlight og that match was Reuter scoring his 4th of the season which is a record for him!

October sees two tough ties in Europe and two tough ties in the league.We have Spartak (away) and then face Ajax (home) which will see how far we have progressed and how we compare to teams in the Europa League but this was always going to be a tough group.The toughest games in the league are Valencia and At.Madrid but I still see us picking up 4-6 points from the month as we do face Zaragoza and Betis and we should be able to get something out of those games.

Thanks guys :D

We've done remarkably well in both competitions so far but the games against Ajax should tell us how far we could potentially go in Europe.In the league,both Barca and Real have not kicked things into gear yet so it is anyones at the moment.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - October 2019

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-90.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-23.png

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages-1.png

Manager's Thoughts

Looking at the Europa League first,excellent defensive performances saw us win in Moscow as well as claim a valuable point in Amsterdam which sees us top the group with 7 points.To top this off,both return games against Spartak and Ajax are at our ground so if we can get something out of those games then we should qualify.The Copa del Rey saw an efficient performance as we brushed aside Girona 3-1 on the first leg and will be looking to finish them off in the 2nd.

The league saw us win 2 out of 3 and it took an 81st minute winner for At.Madrid to beat us so the players have done really well so far.Think the Valencia game was the most impressive as MAR scored us a 92nd minute winner as we refused to roll over for Valencia.The league is very close at the moment and to see us sitting above Barcelona by the end of October is pretty shocking to say the least!November will be a much tougher month as we face both Barcelona and Malaga in successive league games but the other games are still winnable.

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - November 2019

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-91.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-24.png

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages-2.png

Manager's Thoughts

Just the two cup games to start with,up first is the Europa League in which we took a massive step in securing a knockout place as we beat Ajax 2-1,a win against Spartk or Renova in December will guarantee European football after Christmas.The Copa del Rey saw us take apart Girona in the 2nd leg which Iker Sola being the star of the show as we won 4-1 on the night and 7-2 on agg.As a reward,we will now face Racing in the 5th round which is our best opportunity to get past the 5th round!

Not much to say about the league performances,we won two and we lost two.We lost to Malaga and Barcelona but they are both much stronger then we are even though we did give it a good go.The games against Real Sociedad and Betis showed we were much better,the latter saw me play mainly backup players and still win 2-0 with ease.The standout game in December is definitely the Real Madrid game as that is the hardest of the month.Villarreal could be a tricky game but Sporting and Granada are the easiest of the month so I will be happy with 6 points from this month.

rancer890 - Thanks :D No second season syndrome for me as we are in our 3rd season in Liga BBVA ;)

deltablue - We have now qualified as we beat Renova 7-0 even though we finished the match with 10 men!

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - December 2019

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-92.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-25.png

Europa League Group Stages

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages-3.png

Manager's Thoughts

Brilliant end to the Europa Group stages as we destroyed Renova 7-0 before beating Spartak 3-0 at home to ensure we topped the group with 5 wins and a draw,the funny side to things is that we finished the match against Renova with 10 men as Santos was sent off for two bookable offences.For the first knockout stage,we have been drawn against Liverpool with the winners facing Gaziantepspor or Benfica in the 2nd knockout round.

In the league we had two wins and two draws which was brilliant and keeps us in a position to challenge for the league.We beat Sporting 2-0 and to make this even more of a brilliant achievement,we finished this match with 9 men as Romero was sent off and Santamaria followed just minutes later.We also beat Villarreal 2-1 in a game we just edged with Daniel Reuter scoring the winner and his 7th goal of the season which is more then all the other seasons combined.The draw against Granada was disappointing as our finishing let us down in a game we could have easily won but that's football for you.We had a game against Real Madrid with yet more controversy as both sides had goals disallowed and both had penalty appeals turned down,the only shock is that no one was sent off but I will take a 0-0 draw anyday of the week considering we were away from home.

JackJCFC - Thanks :D I hope so too,Liverpool will be a tough game but anything can happen.

deltablue - Not quite but we are on our way slowly.We could even Basque in national glory as we've reached the semi-final of the Copa del Rey where we will face.....Real Madrid!

CDVitorua.jpg

C.D. Vitoria - Liga BBVA - January 2020

Fixtures

CDVitoriaFixtures_Fixtures-93.png

League Table

LigaBBVAOverview_Stages-26.png

Manager's Thoughts

Only the two games in the league as the match with Sevilla was postponed due to waterlogged pitch.The match with numanica was pretty dismal as a own goal gave us the three points where Iker Sola was sent off in the first half but we could have had more if the finishing was better.The game against Athletic showed our determination and fighting spirit,we were 2-0 down but we fought back and claimed a point,if our finishing was better then we could had won the game as we had 14 shots but only 3 on target.

The Copa del Rey took up most of the month with 5 ties.We were shocking in both legs against Racing but the home leg saw us edge it and win the tie 3-2 on agg but it was a poor match as I know we can do a lot better.The quarter finals saw us up against Hercules,a well disciplined performance in the 1st leg saw us clinch a 1-0 victory with Sola scoring a vital away goal while the 2nd leg saw Sola score again in a 1-1 draw in which we were below par but we still won the tie 2-1 on agg.We were drawn against in Real Madrid for the semi finals but in reality,it was a case of pick your poison as the four semi-finalists were us,Real,Barca and At.Madrid!The 1st leg saw us dominated but we still secured a vital away goal through Sola and only lose 2-1 so maybe we can snatch it in the 2nd leg.

Copa del Rey Semi-final 2nd leg,we start 2-1 down from the first leg.We produced an absolutely miraculous performance in front of the millions and billions watching....

VitoriavRMadridInformation_Overview.png

Okay it was a slight exaggeration on my behalf as it was a 15,500 sellout and was live on TV :D We now go on to face Barcelona in the final!

Unbelievable comeback! :thup:

Thanks :D Was quite shocking and it wasn't a weak Real side either.Martin is a Welsh international on £95k I think so we were definitely up against it.

Archived