The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 03/04

Ter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

We could'nt afford the 3Million or so Genk wanted for him, we wanted him bad tho :/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At Ajax he doesn't hold a first team spot though, and maybe he'd be more willing to join you than when Rangers were up against Ajax (where he thought he'd hold a regular first team spot)

But then again if Ajax sells Ibrahimovic he'll be a first teamer there ...

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But by the same argument, these are the guys who ridicule Celtic and our perception of bias within the Record, and yet they are wanting Graham Spiers sacked for an article that as far as I can see is not disrespectful in any way, if anything it's a piece that supports Alex McLeish, who Graham, the son of a Baptist minister, is a very good friend of.

These guys don't see, actually I'll rephrase that, don't want to see that the Scottish tabloids have actively pursued a pro-Rangers, I wont say anti-Celtic as thats incorrect, agenda, over many years, and particularly a policy of non employment of catholics in that time. But when Spiers who is obviously disliked amongst Rangers fans in general, writes about the sycophancy towards Murray and of the undesirable element within the Rangers support, which incidently he has also done on more than one occasion, they deem him unfit to continue in his job and then accuse us of paranoia in our dealings with the media.

Damn, posted early by mistake!

But when Spiers who is obviously disliked amongst Rangers fans in general, writes about the sycophancy towards Murray in other areas of the media and of the undesirable element within the Rangers support, which incidently he has also done on more than one occasion about Celtic, they deem him unfit to continue in his job and then accuse us of paranoia in our dealings with the press.

Absolutely, but some of the attacks on that messageboard are ridiculous and fail to understand the social background that Graham Spiers comes from and they are just attacking him because they see him as being anti-Rangers.

Thankfully, in here, common sense generally prevails.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

Why should his backround have anything to do with what he writes? he's a prodestant so can pretty much slag Rangers off as much as he sees fit?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing.

He has the right to slag off anyone he sees fit. That's his job as a journalist.

My argument with the follow follow motrons is that Spiers is accused of being pro catholic, pro IRA and pro Celtic by people who know nothing about him but choose to take selective phrases from his writing when it suits and yet they welcome blatantly biased and bigoted journalism when they agree with it.

I'm glad to see that paranoia is alive and well down Edmiston Drive but I'm equally glad to see that most posters in here are a fair bit more level headed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Nothing.

He has the right to slag off anyone he sees fit. That's his job as a journalist.

My argument with the follow follow motrons is that Spiers is accused of being pro catholic, pro IRA and pro Celtic by people who know nothing about him but choose to take selective phrases from his writing when it suits and yet they welcome blatantly biased and bigoted journalism when they agree with it.

I'm glad to see that paranoia is alive and well down Edmiston Drive but I'm equally glad to see that most posters in here are a fair bit more level headed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good, but whilst i agree that over at Follow Follow the offended bus is wheeled out every morning about X,Y or Z journo and it does come across as a bit sad. In the case of Mr Speirs though i don't think that he's pro anything other than Martin O'Neill.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=202182

The agent of Mikel Arteta has insisted that the midfielder will shortly be completing a move to Monaco.

The Spaniard has been linked with the UEFA Champions League finalists for a couple of weeks, and Miguel Santos is adamant the transfer is now as good as done.

"As it stands, Arteta is a Monaco player," the agent is reported to have told the Spanish press.

Santos travelled to Glasgow on Thursday to negotiate the player's departure from Rangers who have so far maintained that the 22-year-old would not be leaving Ibrox.

Arteta has made no secret of the fact that he wanted to quit Scotland this summer, but had hinted that a move back to his native Spain was his preference.

However, it seems that a switch back to France - where he enjoyed a loan spell with Paris Saint Germain - is now all but certain.

Real Sociedad, Atletico Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, Internazionale and Marseille are all reported to have contacted the gifted playmaker, but Monaco - who have earmarked him as a replacement for Lucas Bernardi - appear to have won the race.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=202182

The agent of Mikel Arteta has insisted that the midfielder will shortly be completing a move to Monaco.

The Spaniard has been linked with the UEFA Champions League finalists for a couple of weeks, and Miguel Santos is adamant the transfer is now as good as done.

"As it stands, Arteta is a Monaco player," the agent is reported to have told the Spanish press.

Santos travelled to Glasgow on Thursday to negotiate the player's departure from Rangers who have so far maintained that the 22-year-old would not be leaving Ibrox.

Arteta has made no secret of the fact that he wanted to quit Scotland this summer, but had hinted that a move back to his native Spain was his preference.

However, it seems that a switch back to France - where he enjoyed a loan spell with Paris Saint Germain - is now all but certain.

Real Sociedad, Atletico Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, Internazionale and Marseille are all reported to have contacted the gifted playmaker, but Monaco - who have earmarked him as a replacement for Lucas Bernardi - appear to have won the race.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no mention of a fee though for you guys...sounds suspicious

i'll believe it when i see it..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>RANGERS have beaten off some of the top clubs in Europe to land Croatian strike star Dado Prso on a three-year contract.

The 29-year-old Monaco ace, who is set to play in the Champions League Final in 17 days, was in Scotland over the weekend for discussions and a deal was clinched.

A statement from the Club reads: "Rangers FC can confirm the signature of Dado Prso from Monaco. The player has signed a three-year contract commencing season 2004/05.

"The Club has shown a real determination to challenge for the honours again after a disappointuing season and have done really well in fighting off stiff competition from many major clubs throughout Europe."

Prso has enjoyed a sensational season with Monaco and the Croatian national team so Rangers seem to be getting their man at exactly the right time.

Monaco can still win the French title as well as the Champions League and Prso will take on England, France and Switzerland at Euro 2004 having scored the vital play-off goals against Slovenia to get Croatia to Portuga

Boss Alex McLeish said: "I have watched Prso many times this season. He is very direct as a striker and he has a great presence which is just what we need.

"I'm absolutely delighted to have secured a player of his calibre. The fact that he is in the running for the French championship, the Champions League and Eyuro 2004 tells you that the man has that winning quality."

Prso is currently nursing a broken toe but that should clear up inside 10 days. He will join Rangers in July.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Prso is currently nursing a broken toe but that should clear up inside 10 days. He will join Rangers in July.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where a knee injury will soon follow. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gearóid:

he's got everything to prove, because he's done f'ck all other than score four goals in one game tbh icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We all know that past pedigree has nothing to with how well a player will do at Rangers, better and bigger reputation players than Prso have came here and struggled witht he game, like Basile Boli, lexi Michailichenko and plenty more

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gearóid:

he's got everything to prove, because he's done f'ck all other than score four goals in one game tbh icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the two that got Croatia through the play-off qualifiers.

Novo has already agreed to join the tarriers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin O'Neill said last week he wouldn't be singing Novo this summer.

Dado Prso has signed a 3 year deal.

This could be a disaster IMO. Where are people getting the idea that he has scored 23 league goals this season for Monaco. He has only scored 8 league goals for Monaco, added to his 7 in the CL, 4 of which were in one game. I've just watched Gerry McNee on Scotsport saying he's the finished article - if thats the case why has he only recently shot to fame.

Novo > Prso

I think Prso will score goals but not a huge amount, he does look very much like Salenko, as someone has already written previously in here, but given good service, from Burke particularly, he may be a good buy.

I don't think he's the outstanding striker you guys were looking for though and it seems as if Alex McLeish is trying to copy the Celtic style and make up with big centre halfs and a big striker up front, rather than go for a team of his own style.

Oh yes, just thought I'd mention, and it probably won't upset many of you, but Arteta really is a coward in the game. Not for his sly kicks that'she done before in retaliation, or for those so called "punches" he threw yesterday, but for his reaction at corners when he's on the back post. He cowers away from any players coming in at the post and actually backs away into the net and turns his back to the play. He's doneit before and lost a bad goal and yesterday when Varga almost squeezed one in at the back post in the second half, he was making no effort to stop it. It's a shocking indictment of a professional footballer and your better off without him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DodgyG:

Rumours of you lot offering 50k for Speroni, which is a highly bloody laughable offer if it is...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe it, purely because we don't have more than 50p icon_biggrin.gif

Thompson Escapes Punishment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The Scottish Football Association will take no action against Celtic's Alan Thompson over his "playful tap" on Rangers midfielder Fernando Ricksen.

The incident does not appear in referee Hugh Dallas' match report.

Ricksen branded Thompson a coward, saying he slapped him in the face after Celtic's last-minute goal.

But the Celtic player, who described it as a "playful tap", will not be punished by the SFA, who will not refer the incident to the video review panel.

Ricksen, meanwhile, has been told he will be put up for sale along with other players with only a year left on their contracts, if they cannot agree extensions to their current deals over the summer.

"We can't afford to lose him for nothing," said McLeish.

"If he doesn't commit himself then he will be sold and that's the same for any player who doesn't want to commit.

"They will be put up for sale. There are a number of issues after this game that we need to have a look at and there will be one or two statements made this week."

Captain Craig Moore and Spanish midfielder Mikel Arteta are in the same position, with Arteta almost certain to leave.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly suprising really

I think Prso could be a bit of a hit and miss....

I think he is one of these players who is good when things are going well, but can dissapear when the going gets tough.

Can't be bad for free, but it makes me wonder how ridiculous his wages and signing on fee will be now that he is a champions league finalist.

• SI Staff

Wasn't a big fan of Prso to be honest, but he's a Rangers player now and everyone should get behind him and see how he does.

Hopefully won't be another Capucho/Ostenstad/Emerson though... which is a slight worry.

Big Sam is hurting

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Bolton boss Sam Allardyce has launched a blistering attack on Dado Prso and his agent after the Monaco striker reneged on an earlier agreement to move to the Reebok Stadium and signed for Rangers.

Allardyce revealed that the club had agreed terms with the Croatian international six week ago, and the Trotters boss is livid that the 29-year-old and his agent Richard Bertoni sealed a deal with Rangers without notifying him.

Bolton had hoped to sign Prso on a free when his contract expires at the end of the season. But the striker will now join Rangers and according to Allardyce, he has demonstrated a lack of ambition by choosing to 'play in a lower grade of football'.

"I am bitterly disappointed that he has joined Rangers after we'd agreed terms with him six weeks ago,' Allardyce told the Manchester Evening News.

"A deal had been agreed between the player and his agent for him to join us once he had played his last game for Monaco in the Champions' League final later this month.

"I can't believe, at the 11th hour, he has turned us down. What makes it even worse is the fact that the player and his representative, Richard Bertoni, have not had the decency to contact me regarding their situation.

"Rangers are a massive club, but Prso has chosen to play in a lower grade of football. That tells me that he lacks ambition.

"We could have given him the perfect platform and offered him a new challenge of displaying his skills in the most competitive league in the world and within a very talented squad of players."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• SI Staff

The perfect platform for what?

Prso wants the chance to win things and play in the Champions League. He's not going to get that at Bolton icon_biggrin.gif

Archived