The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 03/04

Ter

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE finalists Monaco are believed to be lining up a firm bid for Rangers star Mikel Arteta after being given permission to discuss terms with the player's agent.

The Daily Mail is reporting that Arteta's advisors travelled to the principality earlier this month to seal a deal and now Rangers are waiting for a formal transfer offer for the Spanish midfielder.

Manager Alex McLeish made it plain to rangers.co.uk last week that Arteta would be sold if the price is right and there is little doubt that Rangers would want to recoup a large percentage of the £6million they paid Barcelona for his services two years ago.

Arteta has already enjoiyed a successful spell in France, spending 18 months with Paris Saint-Germain on loan where he played Champions League and UEFA Cup football.

Ibrox chaiman John McClelland, who is Gelsenkirchen for tonight's Champions League Final between Monaco and Porto, told the Mail: "Monaco have not been in touch with us about a transfer fee but Arteta's agent has spoken to a number of clubs around Europe.

"As ever with matters of this nature we will have to see what transpires."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's from the official website. Since he wants to go they should get shot of him asap - it'll be interesting to see what kind of player he develops into in the long term.

Maybe still a chance of getting Novo?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

RANGERS are set to land Nacho Novo despite having their latest offer for the Dundee striker knocked back.

Record Sport can reveal that the Ibrox club put in a £250,000 offer for Novo on Monday.

This followed discussions between Rangers' director of football business Martin Bain and Dens Park administrator Tom Burton.

It is understood Burton rejected the offer and is holding out for a fee closer to the £1million mark. However, Rangers are still waiting to hear officially from the cash--strapped Taysiders and negotiations are expected to open up again at some point in the next 24 hours.

Yesterday, Dundee chief executive Peter Marr refused to speculate on the players the club will be forced to sell.

But he said: 'We are no different from any other Scottish club, all our players are for sale at the right price.'

Record Sport first revealed in January that Rangers boss Alex McLeish would attempt to land both Novo and Scotland midfielder Gavin Rae from Dens Park as the accountants moved in to stop the club from going to the wall.

McLeish moved swiftly to tie up Rae for a cut-price £250,000 before the winter transfer window slammed shut and has now made his move for Novo with another knock-down offer.

This time,however,Dundee are unlikely to settle for such a low price and Rangers may have to double their initial offer to land a striker who McLeish believes could net his side 30 goals a season.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is from the Record mind you :/

Record seem convinced Novo will come once a fee is agreed, and they say Dundee are looking for £1m. Daily Express says that Rangers and Celtic are in a bidding war, with Celtic asked to be notified on any bids made for Novo, so they can just outbid.

What did people think of Prso last night? I didn't catch much, but from the radio it sounded like he played not bad. The Record was making him out as a villain for 'flopping' a good chance early in the 2nd half, which I have yet to watch on the video.

If Dundee think they'll get a million for Novo there having a laugh. He's only got one year of his contract to run and they have only come out of administration because of creditors generousity. They should take between 250-400k with a smile.

Prso looked ok last night - had a bit of presence in the air and bit of speed. But Porto were solid at the back. I think when he starts for Croatia in Euro 2004 - we'll be able to judge more

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deerokus:

hahaha mclesih thinks novo'd get 30 goals a season for rangers?

HAAHAHAHAHAHA <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

why not?

he got 25 for Dundee this season!

I thought Prso looked strong, won almost everything in the air but not so good footballing brain, i think if we can get the likes of Novo and Arveladze playing around him he can be good foil for them.

Hope we do get Novo but i would'nt pay 1 million for him, maybe 2-3 years ago he'd be worth that but not now, 400k tops.

Few points from the interview

Atleast ONE more striker will be signed and a Midfielder.

Robbie Fowler is a defenite no

The club was advised there would be no value in becoming a PLC due to the state of the football market.

Ewan Cameron say's he knows who the striker is we are chasing and it's not Novo, he also feels Murray has something up his sleeve just doesn't know what yet.

That's all i really got due to Real Radio cutting out all the time, stupid server icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Toner:

That's all i really got due to Real Radio cutting out all the time, stupid server icon_mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should try a REAL RADIO to listen to Real Radio - it works you know. icon_razz.gif

Obligatory comment on Prso:

Before the final I read he was the hold up the ball type of striker who doesn't score much. Did just that sort of work, excellent at times and poor at others. Not as good at Sutton in his passing or holding up but still good.

Could easily do well for Rangers if he lined up with Thompson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jimbhoy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Toner:

That's all i really got due to Real Radio cutting out all the time, stupid server icon_mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should try a REAL RADIO to listen to Real Radio - it works you know. icon_razz.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't get it on a Real Radio up here, fupping sheep icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fat Bhoy Tim:

A _Phillips_ Tv, Dvd, Hifi, Vcr or Screwdriver.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a Grundig icon_redface.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgot about wee Jimmy Grundig prolific scorer in the itzabitza premier league

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> RONALD DE BOER has completed his megabucks move from Ibrox to Qatar.

The Dutch international has signed a one-year deal with Al-Rayyan after two weeks of talks in the Middle East.

The former Rangers midfielder, who has just turned 34, is hopeful his brother Frank will soon be joining him.

He said: 'I'm anticipating an enjoyable time here as it heralds a new phase in my playing career.

'I have heard that negotiations with Frank are still ongoing but I have no idea which club exactly. Although I do hope to see him joining me here in Doha very soon.'

Al-Rayyan, who are owned by the Qatari royal family, refused to disclose the financial terms of de Boer's one year contract.

Rangers and Celtic were last night told to forget about bidding for Scotland star James McFadden by new Everton chairman Bill Kenwright.

Kenwright said: 'It would not surprise me in the slightest if Rangers, or indeed Celtic,were still interested in McFadden.

'The fact is, we see James as one for the future.I have spoken to Davie Moyes over the weekend and I know he sees James as a first team pick next season <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen conflicting reports about Moore and Everton as well - one said that they weren't at all interested in him, another saying that a swap of Moore and Naysmith was all but a done deal.

hello. just a short notion that you guys could really do me a favour by filling out the questionnaire i provided here on OTF. help the poor Ösi as a moment of remembrance for Alex Hauser at Rangers, will you? he turned out quite good after coming back fom rangers. Good work up there. icon14.gif

Thanks in advance.

here is a link to his player profile at SW Bregenz.

this energetic midfielder is not considered anwhere near the national team, though in my opinion we could do with someone with experience in british football, seeing as we're playing england, northern Ireland and wales in the qualifiers for germany, even if he's still a young lad at twenty. and it's not exactly like our other players are so classy..

now, about my questionnaire...icon_smile.gif

Alex Mcleish will offer Chinese keeper An Qi the chance of a dream move to rangers.

The Ibrox Gaffer is frantically looking for cover for gers no1 Stefan Klos next season with Alan Mcgregor set to go on loan.

In a bid to solve his problems big Eck could turn to Qi when he hands the 6ft 4in goalie the chance to prove himself during rangers tour of austria next month. Oi's agent Eric Manasse said "he's one of the top keepers in asia and is the no1 choice for china's olympic team for athens later this summer"

If he manages to convince Alex Mcleish he might be offerd a deal.

For rangers this would be a good way to break into the chinese market.

Qi has been a defensive rock for Dalian Shide since his dream move to newcastle fell apart 2 years ago after he suffered an ankle injury.

Toon boss Bobby Robson was keen to bring him over for a trial but had to put his plans on ice when the 23 year old broke down in training.

--------------------

Interesting...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZeRenato:

as i mentioned before: meeeeeeeetup! cause i'll surely watch that. we rarely get to see class teams in austria. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing has really changed, it's Rangers! icon_wink.gif

Oh this thread is exciting.

Dado Prso-50 goals in 8 years scary

Marvin Andrews-LOL all is needed to say

Boumsong-I've Seen him on eurosport hes murder

Rae-Will need his zimmer at the side of the park

Big Name striker?Who are you's trying to kid

btw

Wallace>Burke

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kev1916:

btw

Wallace>Burke <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

50 goals in 8 years is a better tally than Bobo Balde, therefore he is a beter player than Bobo Balde.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kev1916:

btw

Wallace>Burke <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

50 goals in 8 years is a better tally than Bobo Balde, therefore he is a beter player than Bobo Balde. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Differant Postions

think you'll sneak a top 6 finish Vidmar?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

no icon_razz.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gah, vidmar, get it started, man. i've even got kilmarnockians(sp?) and airdrie-whatever( i can't spell that anyway) by now. will ya fill it in, ma sweetie?

rangers have pißed me off mightily when you couldn't score against bayern with linke in goal(iirc) that's why i mentioned that comment above.

Of course you are a big club.

Differant Postions

think you'll sneak a top 6 finish Vidmar? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Differant Postions' indeed, so goals scored is the only factor involved when looking for a striker? if that is the case then why were 'non-scoring strikers' such as Allan Smith and Paul Dickov in such high demand this summer?

there is no doubting Prso is not going to be a goal scorer of super Ally or Mark Hately, but he has a physical side to his game, which many people claim Rangers seem to lack up front, so even if he does not provide us with 35 goals next year there are no doubts he can have a more positive overall contribution.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZeRenato:

no icon_razz.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gah, vidmar, get it started, man. i've even got kilmarnockians(sp?) and airdrie-whatever( i can't spell that anyway) by now. will ya fill it in, ma sweetie?

rangers have pißed me off mightily when you couldn't score against bayern with linke in goal(iirc) that's why i mentioned that comment above.

Of course you are a big club. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dun worry i'll fill it in either tonight or tomorrow, busy with a networking project atm so my head is fried :/ icon_razz.gif

Differant Postions

think you'll sneak a top 6 finish Vidmar? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Differant Postions' indeed, so goals scored is the only factor involved when looking for a striker? if that is the case then why were 'non-scoring strikers' such as Allan Smith and Paul Dickov in such high demand this summer?

there is no doubting Prso is not going to be a goal scorer of super Ally or Mark Hately, but he has a physical side to his game, which many people claim Rangers seem to lack up front, so even if he does not provide us with 35 goals next year there are no doubts he can have a more positive overall contribution. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Allan Smith-because of his workrate and he is verstile and had a good season with Leeds

Dickow-Because he is a hard worker i dont rate Dickov

Prso is like Flo,a big fairy,Big Bobo will have him firmly in his back pocket

• SI Staff

Our resident football expert Gripper reckons that Prso is top quality and will be, and I quote, 'sensational' at Rangers.

Gripper isn't often wrong icon_smile.gif

Allan Smith-because of his workrate and he is verstile and had a good season with Leeds

Dickow-Because he is a hard worker i dont rate Dickov

Prso is like Flo,a big fairy,Big Bobo will have him firmly in his back pocket <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prso is far from beign a big fairy, he can more than hold his own in the air, Flo was never in the physical striker mould that we needed, he was and always has been more of a technical player and was often deployed in wide areas when he played for Chelsea, so where Flo struggled i feel Prso will do well, although Flo still managed to net more than a few goals.

You don't rate Dickov because he is a hard worker? most would feel this is his best attribute?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gearóid:

i'm pretty sure most thought flo would be sensational <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure if Flo came in for free he would not have been tagged a failure, just an opinion though, and as we have already discussed scoring goals is not everything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deerokus:

hahaha mclesih thinks novo'd get 30 goals a season for rangers?

HAAHAHAHAHAHA <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your right, that is a laugh. Novo at Rangers would prob hit more than 30 goals in a season for Rangers.

He was scoring 30 odd goals every season while playing in Spain, came to us at the Rovers and hit over 20 goals in a team that got relegated, then went to Dundee and has just hit over 20 goals in a season for them.

The guy is a natural goalscorer. This is the same as Billy Dodds, I said to my Rangers supporting mate that Rangers should sign Billy Dodds because he would score a barrowload for them. I was told I was talking crap and that Billy Dodds wasn't good enough for Rangers. A season later Dodds was signed for Rangers, and proved me right by banging in a load of goals for them before Dick realised he wasn't Dutch.

If a player can bang in as many goals as Novo does in teams which don't create very many chances then think how many goals he'll score in a team which DOES create a lot of chances.

Archived