Ter

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Ross McCormack comes on for Arteta

Got half an hour or so to see what he can do icon14.gif

btw, where is everyone? Surely not at the match? icon_biggrin.gif

Took a while to get off our feet but a good performance on the whole. Standouts were Frank de Boer and Chris Burke. Ross McCormack and Gary McKenzie both looked competent when they came on. Hopefully they'll get a few more games each before the seasons end and then have a decent footing for next year.

My rating for Today: Klos 7, Hutton 6, Vanoli 5, Frank de Boer 9, Khizanishvili 7, Burke 9, Hughes 7, Ricksen 6, Arteta 7, Namouchi 8, Thompson 8

Subs: Ross 6.5, McKenzie 7, McCormack 7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> May 2 2004

By Mark Guidi

RANGERS are close to completing the signing of Dundee striker Nacho Novo.

Talks between the clubs have been ongoing and a fee of around £275,000 is likely to be thrashed out by the end of the week.

The Dens Park outfit around £15million in debt and under threat of closing down are desperate for the cash.

Rangers are keen to bring in a couple of strikers next season and getting Novo at that price will be seen as a bargain.

The capture of Novo will be Alex McLeish's fourth signing for the new season following on the heels of Jean-Alain Boumsong, Marvin Andrews and Alex Rae.

He is still searching for a proven goalscorer, a playmaking midfielder and a left-sided central defender.

MailSport can reveal that the man occupying his thoughts is Boumsong's Auxerre team-mate Olivier Kapo.

Former Ger Charlie Miller has also entered McLeish's thoughts and Big Eck has been discreetly asking about the player's current attitude and lifestyle.

Miller outstanding this season is out of contract in the summer and a return to Ibrox has not been ruled out although Dundee United have made him an attractive offer to stay.

Miller's agent John Viola said: 'Charlie is a talented footballer and has had the best season of his career.

'United want to keep him but I have been made aware of interest from major clubs.'

Kapo capped eight times by France is out of contract in the summer and has attracted interest from clubs in the English Premiership and Italy's Serie A, as well as Paris Saint Germain.

McLeish knows plenty about him and has watched him several times.

He is seen as a possible replacement for Ronald de Boer. However, it's understood Kapo is looking for a wage of more than £35,000 per week and that is putting a lot of teams off.

French striker Frederic Piquionne has also been watched by McLeish.

The £2m-rated Rennes star is a tall and powerful hitman who is known for putting the ball in the net and for putting himself about on the pitch.

He has been informed of Rangers' interest and would welcome a move to Scotland.

Meanwhile, Rangers' on-loan striker Steven MacLean is being tracked by Sheffield Wednesday.

The Owls are the latest English club to express an interest in the 21-year-old who has bagged 25 goals for Scunthorpe this season.

Gaffer Chris Turner is desperate for a goal poacher to kick-start a Wednesday revival and will have money to spend if ex-Chelsea supremo Ken Bates takes control of the club.

Turner said: 'We need a striker who can score 20 goals a season and Steven's the sort of player we are thinking of.'

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I thought that about Kapo too.

Lazy journilism in the Scottish media....never icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the Charlie Miller story was a wind up but now I hear it may be true! Bring back Jorg Albertz too! icon_biggrin.gif

nothing sums up how the mighty have fallen better than this sentence:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Miller outstanding this season is out of contract in the summer and a return to Ibrox has not been ruled out<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Namouchi played quite well yesterday and took his goal very well, willing to run beyond the ball, tacle back and shoot from distance, he'll be a good replacement for Arteta icon14.gif

Means we can spend the 5 million on other players too.

Anyone else heard Namouchi is out for the rest of the season? Ligament damage apparantly.

I hadnt realised how big a guy Namouchi was, proper battler as well.

there was only one bad player on the park for Rangers yesterday and that was Vanoli..I dont understand how he gets a game. icon_frown.gif

Dunno about Miller! Its a big gamble..hes already shown he cant make it a level acceptable for Rangers, but then it could be a maturity thing!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ArmedJimmy:

Dunno about Miller! Its a big gamble..hes already shown he cant make it a level acceptable for Rangers, but then it could be a maturity thing!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and Gazza's fault icon_biggrin.gif

The Saga that is Mikel Arteta

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>MIKEL ARTETA has hinted that he may be staying at Rangers after all.

Unlike the Motherwell defence on Saturday, the Spaniard was giving little away despite another week of relentless speculation linking him with a return home.

Real Sociedad, Espanyol, Real Betis and Real Murcia are all said to be courting the midfielder who opened the floodgates at Ibrox with a brilliant free-kick just a minute before half-time.

However, it’s unlikely that any of these La Liga sides will meet the asking price of £4million.

And after showdown talks with Gers’ director of football business Martin Bain this week, Arteta now looks set to ditch switch plans.

The playmaker revealed: “Nothing is happening with me, nothing at all. I don’t really want to speak about the whole situation either.

“I understand though that the fans want to have an idea, they have been fantastic with me.

“All I can say is that I’m happy at Rangers. This season has not been enjoyable, but that doesn’t just go for me, the whole team feels like that.

“We have lost everything this year and that is not a nice feeling.

“I have always said that I would see out my contract and I have two years left.

“I can’t do much about what is written about me but I have met with the club and I’m happy.â€

If boss Alex McLeish can get Arteta back to the player he was last season, then there’s no doubt he’ll prove an invaluable asset. But at times against Well he looked uninterested.

He drifted in and out of a match he should have controlled from start to finish.

It must be so frustrating for the Ibrox fans because on 44 minutes he showed exactly what he can do with that curling free-kick into the corner of the net.

Just before that Arteta had embarked on two breathtaking runs from midfield which perfectly summed up his talent.

However, he doesn’t do it often enough and it was no surprise to see him hooked after 61 minutes — young Ross McCormack earning a debut at his expense.

But after hailing McCormack and fellow debutant Gary MacKenzie, Arteta, 24, told how the imminent arrival of France stopper Jean-Alain Boumsong can help put the heart back into Rangers.

He said: “It was good to see two kids coming on because they will play a big part in this club’s future.

“I was happy they got a run and when you see their performance and attitude then of course you have belief for next season.

“The gaffer has already bought people like Boumsong. He is a

fantastic player, I played against him when I was with PSG.

“He is a strong player and a great character. He will do really well at Ibrox.

“You do need time to settle because here you are either brilliant or bad. Second place is just not good enough.

“We’ve found that out this season but I’m sure the manager will add more people like Boumsong in the summer and the club will compete again next term.

“We are desperate to make it up to the fans. As a team we’re feeling bad about ourselves and can use that to motivate us for next year.

“I feel I have already learned from this and I know I don’t want to have this feeling again.â€

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

STEFAN KLOS, Chris Burke and Peter Lovenkrands were the big winners at the Rangers Players' Ball in Glasgow tonight.

Mr Consistency Klos scooped two awards at the Hilton Hotel - Players' Player of the Year and Carling Player of the Year - while pint-sized winger Burkey bagged the Young Player honour.

Pistol Pete won the Goal of the Season gong for his stunning effort against VfB Stuttgart in the Champions League.

Ronald de Boer, whose bullet header in the epic 3-3 Old Firm draw at Parkhead was voted last season's top strike, accepted the award on his behalf.

Klos bagged Best Old Firm Performance at last year's event but he collected the two top prizes this evening and the quiet German deserves his recognition for another sensational season between the sticks.

Burkey, excellent against Motherwell yesterday, has shone on the right flank this term - managing three goals and countless assists in 22 top team games and he is another worthy winner.

Chris took the Under-19 Player of the Year honour 12 months ago and retained his title despite strong competition from Alan Hutton.

Danish flyer Lovenkrands, who is close to returning to action after a knee problem, narrowly pipped Paolo Vanoli to Goal of the Season.

The Italian's screamer against Dundee last September was the early favourite to win but Peter's mazy run and long range finish against Stuttgart was voted number one by supporters.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can a sclaffed shot that took a massive deflection be the best goal icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haz5168:

How can a sclaffed shot that took a massive deflection be the best goal icon_confused.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was reading the article and thinking exactly the same thing! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Standard Liege's Belgian international striker Emile Mpenza says he would be interested in discussing a move to Rangers at the end of the season.

Mpenza, who has been linked with Rangers in the past, scored in a recent 1-1 draw with Anderlecht, a game watched by Rangers boss Alex McLeish.

McLeish said he was looking at a number of players playing in the match.

"It gives me great pleasure that a club as big as Rangers is thinking about me," Mpenza told the News of the World.

"I don't want to be too preoccupied thinking about them for the time being - I want to concentrate on my duties on the pitch.

"But once the season is over, we can sit down and have talks.

"It is not 100% certain that I will remain with Standard but they were the only club to give me a chance eight months ago, when nobody else wanted me.

"They took a risk, and now I want to repay them by helping them get into the Champions League."

The 25-year-old has scored 18 goals this season after returning to Belgium from German side Schalke 04.

Standard currently lie third in the Belgian First Division behind Club Bruges and champions Anderlecht.

McLeish admitted again on Friday that Rangers are in the market for a "top-class" striker and among others they have been linked with are Dundee's Nacho Novo, Marcus Bent of Ipswich and a loan-move for Inter Milan's Obafemi Martins.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cmon, please please please icon_mad.gif Mpenza would bang in lots of goals for us icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Rangers consider rights issue

04/05/2004 - 8:30:09 AM

Rangers are considering a “substantial†rights issue to reduce their debt after majority shareholder David Murray admitted the club might be in trouble with the bank if his trading company was not profitable.

The Glasgow club have made substantial efforts to cut costs in a bid to fight debts which amount to around £65m (€96.6m), the largest slice of which is due in 2008.

And, while Murray – a former chairman at Ibrox – is content with the progress that has been made, he admits more drastic measures may have to be taken if the club fails to meet targets by the end of a three-year plan in 2005.

Murray, who has already invested £40m (€59.4m), including the £6.5m (€9.7m) he paid to buy Rangers 16 years ago, told the Financial Times: “We will have to do a substantial rights issue, of which I would subscribe for my fair share.â€

He added: “We need to regroup, refinance and get the club on an even keel, and I have never denied that is a responsibility.

“We have got the club trading pretty level now. We have got a tremendous stadium at £100m (€148.6m), a training ground, a playing squad – assets of £150m (€222.9m) – but there is a rump of debt that will eventually have to be attacked.â€

Murray’s personal fortune has been estimated at around £450m (€668.6m) and his holding company Murray International Holdings is one of the largest private firms in Scotland.

And the steel magnate revealed he has been able to shelter Rangers from the worst of what he called “the cyclical downturn of football".

“If I did not have a trading company that is making money, the bank would look on it differently,†he said. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"if i was'nta multi millionare we would be in administration byt now" if you had'nt ran up the debt we would'nt be in this mess you ****.

Major creditor is due in 2008, 4 years to go...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Standard Liege's Belgian international striker Emile Mpenza says he would be interested in discussing a move to Rangers at the end of the season.

Mpenza, who has been linked with Rangers in the past, scored in a recent 1-1 draw with Anderlecht, a game watched by Rangers boss Alex McLeish.

McLeish said he was looking at a number of players playing in the match.

"It gives me great pleasure that a club as big as Rangers is thinking about me," Mpenza told the News of the World.

"I don't want to be too preoccupied thinking about them for the time being - I want to concentrate on my duties on the pitch.

"But once the season is over, we can sit down and have talks.

"It is not 100% certain that I will remain with Standard but they were the only club to give me a chance eight months ago, when nobody else wanted me.

"They took a risk, and now I want to repay them by helping them get into the Champions League."

The 25-year-old has scored 18 goals this season after returning to Belgium from German side Schalke 04.

Standard currently lie third in the Belgian First Division behind Club Bruges and champions Anderlecht.

McLeish admitted again on Friday that Rangers are in the market for a "top-class" striker and among others they have been linked with are Dundee's Nacho Novo, Marcus Bent of Ipswich and a loan-move for Inter Milan's Obafemi Martins.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cmon, please please please icon_mad.gif Mpenza would bang in lots of goals for us icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hamburg have already started talks with Mpenza...

Does Murray think you guys are like his sycophants in the media and actually believe him now?

This is the man who has released millions of shares in issues over the years to the likes of Ian King and yet still holds the same majority shareholding himself.

And yet he still maintains he will subscribe for his "fair share". That's a shock!

The supporters are smarter than he thinks but he doesn't realise that, maybe he thinks Chic Young is a typical Rangers fan.

(That was meant to be on the last post, don't think I'm boosting your thread deliberately! icon_biggrin.gif)

Too true, many fans have went on the record stating they will not invest money in the club whilst he is the majority shareholder because he has proved that he cannot run a football club, his share issue will fail and things will get worse.

There are already rumors of Auchenhowie and the land ajacent been sold of to Barret and building will commence when GCC build the sports center for Celtic to train in, rangers will train there also and Murray will pocket the money for the land which the training ground that Rangers paid to have built.

Auchenhowie is definitely an interesting part of the Murray empire. I know it's been published by Rangers that Murray Park cost approximately £14m, which is apparently true, however I know for a fact that the project received £4.8m through the Scottish Executive, I've seen the paperwork yet there is no acknowledgement, at least publicly, of where this has gone.

The ground of course was owned by Murray because he bought it from the old Milngavie and Bearsden Sports Club and Glasgow Western Hockey Club, but it seems possible that he sold the part that Murray Park now stands on to Rangers for that £4.8mil and kept the surrounding area, a smart piece of business but not one of the great philanthropist that he makes himself out to be.

I notice too that Rangers accounts which used to be on the Murray website are now missing from 2001 onwards.

I'll say two things for Fergus McCann, he always made it clear he saw Celtic as an investment and would clear a profit and he would never have allowed anything connected with the club to be named after him!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Murray, who has already invested £40m (€59.4m), including the £6.5m (€9.7m) he paid to buy Rangers 16 years ago, told the Financial Times: “We will have to do a substantial rights issue, of which I would subscribe for my fair share.â€

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to see how that figure was arrived at. I suspect he's invested a good deal less than that.

However the real problem is just how much the bloke is taking out of the club. The catering, for example, was given to a Murray company without any kind of competitive tendering. Now it may be all perfectly legitimate and above board, but it doesn't look very good. Whatever goods and services Rangers buys in (and we buy in far more than catering from Murray owned companies) we should be sure we are getting good quality and paying fair market rates.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FrankJJ:

I'll say two things for Fergus McCann, he always made it clear he saw Celtic as an investment and would clear a profit and he would never have allowed anything connected with the club to be named after him!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he also didn't leave the club in ridiculous financial mess. and then claim credit for saving it icon_biggrin.gif

Emerson to hang around like a bad smell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Rangers manager Alex McLeish has made it clear that Emerson has no future at the club and Emerson is critical of the way the situation has been handled.

"I was bought by the owner of the club and I don't think that was a very positive thing for me.

"At first the coach called on me but when things went wrong I was left out of the team with no explanation. It is a sign of how young the coach is.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well maybe the owner of the club should pay his wages then.

Isn't this just another example of the profligacy of Murray which has gotten us into this mess. He isn't the first player Murray has signed over the head of the manager that the manager didn't really want.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lager:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/3682337.stm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Rangers manager Alex McLeish has made it clear that Emerson has no future at the club and Emerson is critical of the way the situation has been handled.

_"I was bought by the owner of the club and I don't think that was a very positive thing for me._

"At first the coach called on me but when things went wrong I was left out of the team with no explanation. It is a sign of how young the coach is.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well maybe the owner of the club should pay his wages then.

Isn't this just another example of the profligacy of Murray which has gotten us into this mess. He isn't the first player Murray has signed over the head of the manager that the manager didn't really want.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hm so emerson is blaming mcleish for his and murray's ****ness icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone see the story or non-story about Moore saying he may quit if Rangers don`t meet his ambition ?

Its an absolute joke that that guy got the captains armband and even more of a joke that he thinks he can cut it in Spain or the premiership if Rangers don`t prove themselves. If anyone had to prove himself this season it was that big Aussie tube.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Verbal:

Anyone see the story or non-story about Moore saying he may quit if Rangers don`t meet his ambition ?

Its an absolute joke that that guy got the captains armband and even more of a joke that he thinks he can cut it in Spain or the premiership if Rangers don`t prove themselves. If anyone had to prove himself this season it was that big Aussie tube.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read it and laughed, what an idiot he is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Verbal:

Its an absolute joke that that guy got the captains armband and even more of a joke that he thinks he can cut it in Spain or the premiership if Rangers don`t prove themselves. If anyone had to prove himself this season it was that big Aussie tube.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fact is, i'm not interested in the future of Craig Moore, i'm interested in the future of Rangers. The question he is asking is a very good one, do the club intend to sign quality players or Andrews, crawfords and co. The board have lied to us so many times in the past and Craig knows the score, assurances are not enough, we want done deals. Craig Moores stock has gone up now in my book.

If Stefan Klos was to come out with the exact same ultimatum, who would deny that he is well within his rights?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

Fact is, i'm not interested in the future of Craig Moore, i'm interested in the future of Rangers. The question he is asking is a very good one, do the club intend to sign quality players or Andrews, crawfords and co. The board have lied to us so many times in the past and Craig knows the score, assurances are not enough, we want done deals. Craig Moores stock has gone up now in my book.

If Stefan Klos was to come out with the exact same ultimatum, who would deny that he is well within his rights?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not being a Rangers fan, i was reading it from the players point of view rather than the best for the club. For the club, you could be right, they do need to put there money where there mouth is, but the debt is still there, so the limitations on who can arrive is purely on the cut-throat bosmans who are after high wages.

The way I read the story, you had a guy who has been captain whenever he has played this season (has he played or was he just there) going on about ambition. Now Rangers are one of the biggest clubs in Britian, i would expect the players of the club to play as if they are out to win every week and the captain should be the guy ralleying the guys in hard times. Now correct me if I`m wrong has this guy done any of the above this season ? If Rangers had ambition they would buy players to replace him, rather than him claiming to be too good for the team.

Archived