The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 03/04

Ter

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>FOOTBALL: WE'LL BUY KIDS FROM OURSELVES Apr 21 2004

Rangers launch a youth development company

By Gordon Parks

RANGERS have found a way to avoid getting any deeper into debt from now on they'll be buying players from... Rangers. The Ibrox club yesterday launched a new company which will develop youngsters in the hope of selling themon to the first team.

Current associate director Ian Russell, investor Paul Murray, hotel boss Jim Whitelaw and businessman Walter Nimmo are behind a £1million cash input for the plan which will be overseen by youth chief George Adams.

The company, which has already purchased striker Bajram Fetai, will demand a transfer fee from the club after 10top--team appearances and will look to bring in money to sustain the youth development at Murray Park.

Chairman John McLelland said: 'It's a concept that I think is unique and, rather than just have the youth development budget,the club will have the proceeds of the youth development success.

'What we don't want to happen is five players to join the first-team squad and we have to beg, borrow and steal to refinance the youth development company.

'We've set a value on those players and if there is any debate we will use the FIFA system to calculate the value.

'If George successfully feeds players to the first team or if some get sold on then the proceeds will go back into youth development.'

Adams unearthed a conveyor belt of talent during his time in charge of youth development at Celtic.

He said: 'It will take a long time before we get a constant supply coming into the first team but at under 13s ,14s, and 15s we have some of the best talent.

'When I came to Ibrox my eyes were opened a bit and I only regard myself as being at the club for six months, as the first six months was tidying up.

'I was setting up coaching centres and scouting networks as well as bringing in the best coaches and I feel now that we are heading in the right direction.

'I'm delighted to see the young boys coming through at Celtic as there is no better feeling that seeing someone you've worked with emerging, no matter what club he's with.'

Adams has asked for patience as he puts in place a programme to challenge Rangers' Old Firm rivals.

He added: 'I'm very well aware that it can't happen overnight and anyone who thinks it can is in cloud cuckoo land.

'This facility is being used all day seven days a week and Alex is working hard behind the scenes.

'If I didn't think that I could turn it around then I wouldn't be here and I think that I'll succeed.

'I hope that it goes to UEFA when we are compensated for Alan Hutton as we'll get a few bob for him.

'Our target is to bring in a couple a year. You look at what has happened at Celtic with Shaun Maloney, David Marshall, Craig Beattie and Ross Wallace and that's our target.' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aww nawwww icon_frown.gif

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>FOOTBALL: WE'LL BUY KIDS FROM OURSELVES Apr 21 2004

Rangers launch a youth development company

By Gordon Parks

RANGERS have found a way to avoid getting any deeper into debt from now on they'll be buying players from... Rangers. The Ibrox club yesterday launched a new company which will develop youngsters in the hope of selling themon to the first team.

Current associate director Ian Russell, investor Paul Murray, hotel boss Jim Whitelaw and businessman Walter Nimmo are behind a £1million cash input for the plan which will be overseen by youth chief George Adams.

The company, which has already purchased striker Bajram Fetai, will demand a transfer fee from the club after 10top--team appearances and will look to bring in money to sustain the youth development at Murray Park.

Chairman John McLelland said: 'It's a concept that I think is unique and, rather than just have the youth development budget,the club will have the proceeds of the youth development success.

'What we don't want to happen is five players to join the first-team squad and we have to beg, borrow and steal to refinance the youth development company.

'We've set a value on those players and if there is any debate we will use the FIFA system to calculate the value.

'If George successfully feeds players to the first team or if some get sold on then the proceeds will go back into youth development.'

Adams unearthed a conveyor belt of talent during his time in charge of youth development at Celtic.

He said: 'It will take a long time before we get a constant supply coming into the first team but at under 13s ,14s, and 15s we have some of the best talent.

'When I came to Ibrox my eyes were opened a bit and I only regard myself as being at the club for six months, as the first six months was tidying up.

'I was setting up coaching centres and scouting networks as well as bringing in the best coaches and I feel now that we are heading in the right direction.

'I'm delighted to see the young boys coming through at Celtic as there is no better feeling that seeing someone you've worked with emerging, no matter what club he's with.'

Adams has asked for patience as he puts in place a programme to challenge Rangers' Old Firm rivals.

He added: 'I'm very well aware that it can't happen overnight and anyone who thinks it can is in cloud cuckoo land.

'This facility is being used all day seven days a week and Alex is working hard behind the scenes.

'If I didn't think that I could turn it around then I wouldn't be here and I think that I'll succeed.

'I hope that it goes to UEFA when we are compensated for Alan Hutton as we'll get a few bob for him.

'Our target is to bring in a couple a year. You look at what has happened at Celtic with Shaun Maloney, David Marshall, Craig Beattie and Ross Wallace and that's our target.' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aww nawwww icon_frown.gif

it's certainly a unique idea - i'm not sure if that is because it is that bad that nobody else would be silly enough to do it or because it is ingenious in concept.

if it does keep money flowing into youth development and not lining some businessmans pockets, then it is probably a pretty sound idea tbf...

Something positive for a change...

Rangers seem set to be seeded in the 3rd qualifying round of the Champions League next season which means avoiding the clubs from England, Italy, Spain, Germany, France and Holland.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Killie1869:

Rangers friendlies in the summer are nothing compared with Celtic's. Could Rangers have not made more money out of going to America as well or trying to get bigger matches. I thought they played Milan last year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We can't afford the flight icon_wink.gif

As far as i know other matches are still being finalised aswell as a foreign training camp, however there is more chance of it being in Bognor than Dubai this time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Killie1869:

Rangers friendlies in the summer are nothing compared with Celtic's. Could Rangers have not made more money out of going to America as well or trying to get bigger matches. I thought they played Milan last year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not sure how much celtic make out of those matches anyway... the promoter of those matches probably takes a sizable chunk.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WOLVES MAD:

heard the other night,Alex rae has signed a pre contract to play for rangers next season.Any news on this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to Alex's close family up here he's singed and sealed for us, but nothing to be announced until Wolves are relagated/safe.

Guus wants van Persie to sign

Wednesday, 21 April 2004

Players:

Robin Van Persie

Teams:

PSV Eindhoven

Feyenoord

Schalke

Rangers

Celtic

Newcastle United

by Alex Livie

PSV coach Guus Hiddink has urged Robin van Persie to make the best decision for his career and sign for the Eindhoven club as opposed to joining Sevilla.

Van Persie seems certain to leave Feyenoord in the summer and a host of clubs have expressed interest in the forward.

PSV were believed to be ahead in the race after Hiddink met the youngster and informed him he would look to use him as the focal point of his attack.

Sevilla, though, have designs on the youngster himself and claim to have tabled an offer far in excess of PSV's.

If Feyenoord receive a number of offers which they deem suitable, then the final decision may be left to the player.

Hiddink believes that if this in the case, then the Dutch international should opt to secure a move to the Philips Stadion.

"We are working hard to strengthen the squad for next season, so that we can fully participate on all levels," Hiddink told Omroep Brabant. "A lot of rumours are going around.

"We have had several talks with van Persie himself and his agent Erwin Boonacker.

"Together with his manager, Robin has a certain development of his career in mind.

"I personally do not think that a club like Seville fit very well in these plans.

"Van Persie wants to play for a big club and PSV are a bigger club than Seville."

It would appear as if van Persie is unlikely to move to Spain, as his agent Boonacker noted: "Sevilla is not really an option. We have listened to their plans and have left it at that."

Boonacker added that van Persie is likely to make a decision on his future at some point this week, with the youngster waiting to see what German side Schalke as well as Rangers have to offer.

Schalke have long-been linked with the forward but have so far failed to come to the table, while rumours are suggesting Rangers are set to make a late bid.

Reports in Holland also suggest that Celtic and Newcastle will monitor the situation regarding van Persie's future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fat Bhoy Tim:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

Scratch that we could'nt afford Pele Zico or Gary Liniker.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Alan Rough is too good for Rangers.

Rough > Klos<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only because the fat sod takes up all of the goal icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fat Bhoy Tim:

Scratch that we could'nt afford Pele Zico or Gary Liniker.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Alan Rough is too good for Rangers.

Rough > Klos<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only because the fat sod takes up all of the goal icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's where I learnt my trade icon_cool.gif

Dowie to the Owls

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Sheffield Wednesday have taken Scottish starlet Andrew Dowie on trial from Rangers.

The Scotland Under-21 international defender will train with The Owls squad in a bid to impress Hillsborough boss Chris Turner.

The 21-year-old is in the Scotland squad to face Denmark next week and could earn himself a move to Division Two should he impress Turner.

"Andrew Dowie has come down from Scotland to train with us, and a decision will be made soon," said Turner.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rangers pull out of Prso RaceDaily ******[i/]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> RANGERS have stepped up their bid to land Wolves veteran Alex Rae but have backed out of the race for Champions League sensation Dado Prso.

Record Sport understands long-term target Rae has held a fresh round of signing talks with the Ibrox club and will sign on a Bosman transfer this summer.

But Monaco hitman Prso met with Bolton boss Sam Allardyce in Monte Carlo yesterday and now looks set to chose between a move to the Reebok Stadium or to Turkish title favourites Besiktas - who have already offered him almost £1.3million-a-year to relocate in Istanbul.

Prso had been one of the names on Alex McLeish's list of possible star strikers but the Ibrox manager is believed to have identified two other targets and is currently pursuing them instead. Cash-strapped McLeish plans to plough whatever money is made available to him on a pair of frontmen for the new season.

He will further bolster his squad by bringing in others like Raeand Livingston defender Marvin Andrews - on Bosman deals.

Rae's move had threatened to stall as Rangers had been initially reluctant to hand a two--year deal to the34-year--old but McLeish is now prepared to grant the wishes of a player who was also being chased by Blackburn and Fulham.

But Molineux stand-out Raehas asked for the negotiations to be put on hold out of respect for his current club who are fighting a hopeless battle to avoid relegation from the Premiership.

Rangers die-hard Rae even contacted the official Wolves website yesterday as rumours raged that he already putpen to paper on his dream deal.

He said: 'I just want to make it clear I haven't signed anything with Rangers and that these rumours are not true.

'I've never hidden my affection for Rangers and there has been contact with my agent.But we have a lot on our plates at Wolves right now and I want everyone to know I'm committed to the cause.

'That's all I want to concentrate on right now my future can wait until the summer.'

Meanwhile, Frank de Boer says Rangers can keep scouring the world for new defenders but they still won't find anyone better than him.

The veteran Dutchman has dropped a huge hint that he plans to stay on at Ibrox next season by insisting he's ready to battle it out with new boys Jean--Alain Boumsong and Andrews for a starting place.

The 33-year-old said: 'I am certainly not worried by the club signing new players in my position. When I am playing 100 per cent there are not many players who are better than me and if I do stay at Rangers next year,I will be doing everything in my capability to win a place in the team.

'I have the confidence that if I am fit, I will play.

'As I have said before, I will not be making my own decision about next season until after Euro 2004 and, regardless of who Rangers sign, that will not change.'

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And enter Smith ChaseThe Sun

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> RANGERS will enter the battle to land Leeds hitman Alan Smith this summer.

The Glasgow giants are ready to challenge Newcastle and Manchester United for the England striker’s signature.

And Ibrox boss Alex McLeish believes he could snap up Smith for as little as £4million.

Hard-up Leeds will be forced to offload Smith along with their other prize assets Mark Viduka and Paul Robinson if they lose their relegation fight.

Eddie Gray’s strugglers are third from bottom in the Premiership and the caretaker boss has just four games left to steer them to safety.

Middlesbrough and Roma lead the hunt for big Aussie striker Viduka, 28, who is valued at around £9m.

Spurs failed with a £2.5m bid to capture Robinson, 24, in the January transfer window.

And they will have to double that offer if they are to pick up the England keeper.

But Smith, 23, could leave his home-town club for a knockdown price because Leeds would have to get him off the wage bill if they went down.

Smith is on £40,000 a week but that pay packet has not frightened off Rangers.

McLeish plans a massive rebuilding programme this summer in a desperate effort to overhaul Celtic.

He has been given the go-ahead to match Smith’s Leeds salary.

And discreet inquiries have already been made by the Ibrox power-brokers about the forward’s availability.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No direct quotes from Leeds,Smith,Monaco,Prso or Rangers

in otherwords BS

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

Glad we've pulled out of the Prso race

That Smith story is most likely ****e as well... where are we going to get £4m? icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a fiver, pass the biscuit tin icon_wink.gif

Not content with Dowie, The Owls want Maclean tooYorkshire Post

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY have joined the chase for Rangers striker Steven McLean and could also sign defender Andy Dowie from Ibrox this summer.

Manager Chris Turner, who has extended the contract of former Middlesbrough winger Chris Brunt, is determined to to assemble a squad to win promotion back to the First Division next season.

McLean has scored 25 goals for Scunthorpe United but faces an uncertain future at Rangers when his loan deal expires in the summer.

Scottish Under-21 international Dowie has already arrived at Hillsborough, albeit on trial, and Turner hopes the defender will show enough in training to warrant a permanent deal.

With 17 players out-of-contract, Turner will carry out sweeping changes after the disappointment of missing out on the play-offs this season.

He has already signed promising young defender Chris Carr from Newcastle United and lined-up Preston goalkeeper David Lucas and Manchester City midfield player Glenn Whelan.

Last week, he confirmed that he was looking to sign players from Scotland and Scandinavia in the next part of his rebuilding process.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived