Club and League: Werder Bremen, German Bundesliga

Career Thread (with link to thread): You Have To Be In It To Win It

Season: 2016/17

Age (at end of relevant season): 24

Matches played (subs): 38 (0)

Goals (Clean Sheets for GK): 26

Assists (Goals Conceded for GK): 1

Average Rating (with link to proof): 7.63

Frutos and Luiz Eduardo are now in the updated team! :)

Good to see some competition going now, the team is starting to shape up very nicely. :thup:

hursty2 and ShyBaldBuddhist: That sounds very odd, it looks dead centre on my screen. I've rewritten it all in notepad and repasted it, does it look better now?

EDIT: Right, I've just done a bit of testing, I believe the code box looks different for each screen resolution and if your internet tab is windowed; I have a 1366 x 768 display and the team appears right in the middle of the box with the ratings all present and correct for me, so apologies if it appears slightly off-centre for different resolutions. :thup:

• 4 weeks later...

Are we still doing this? If so, both my fullbacks will get in.

Player Name (with link to player attributes screenshot): Sébastien Corchia

Position: DR

Nationality: French

Club and League: Liverpool, English Premier League

Career Thread (with link to thread): http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/280940-If-You-Count-Your-Chickens-Before-They-ve-Hatched-They-Won-t-Lay-An-Egg

Season: 2022/23

Age (at end of relevant season): 32

Matches played (subs): 39

Goals (Clean Sheets for GK): 1

Assists (Goals Conceded for GK): 13

Average Rating (with link to proof): 7.62

Player Name (with link to player attributes screenshot): Mihael Baca

Position: DL

Nationality: Croatian

Career Thread (with link to thread): http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/280940-If-You-Count-Your-Chickens-Before-They-ve-Hatched-They-Won-t-Lay-An-Egg

Age (at end of relevant season): 29

Matches played (subs): 48

Goals (Clean Sheets for GK): 0

Assists (Goals Conceded for GK): 8

Average Rating (with link to proof): 7.39

Guess who's back, back again, Mendy's back, tell a friend :D

Player Name: Mansour Mendy

Position: ST

Nationality: Senegal

Club and League: FC Twente, Eredivisie

Career Thread: Here we go...

Season: 2020/21

Matches played: 35

Goals: 46

Assists: 29

Average Rating: 8.34

From my last season in charge at FC Twente, Mendy just had a stormer!

Are we still doing this? If so, both my fullbacks will get in.

Player Name (with link to player attributes screenshot): Sébastien Corchia

Position: DR

Nationality: French

Age (at end of relevant season): 32

Matches played (subs): 39

Goals (Clean Sheets for GK): 1

Assists (Goals Conceded for GK): 13

Average Rating (with link to proof): 7.62

Player Name (with link to player attributes screenshot): Mihael Baca

Position: DL

Age (at end of relevant season): 29

Matches played (subs): 48

Goals (Clean Sheets for GK): 0

Assists (Goals Conceded for GK): 8

Average Rating (with link to proof): 7.39

This is most definitely still going! As I mentioned in HC's quiz thread, I've been without internet access since Christmas due to a hard drive repair, but I'm still here and eager to keep the team updated. :)

I have added your fullbacks to the team, keep up the good work. :D

Guess who's back, back again, Mendy's back, tell a friend :D

Player Name: Mansour Mendy

Nationality: Senegal

Club and League: FC Twente, Eredivisie

Career Thread: Here we go...

Season: 2020/21

Matches played: 35

Goals: 46

Assists: 29

Average Rating: 8.34

From my last season in charge at FC Twente, Mendy just had a stormer!

Mendy :cool:

Good to see him back! Keep them coming. To liven up the thread a bit, I was thinking of writing a "player feature" article every few days for one of the players in the team, which will of course include a review of that player's season, so expect to see some of these in the near future!

Dream Team Player Feature - Mansour Mendy

FMCU Magazine

18/01/2012

Mendy.png

Today we shine the spotlight on one of FC Twente's most iconic names; Senegalese frontman Mansour Mendy. Mendy has grown today to be one of the most recognisable figures in Dutch and world football, and now we delve deep into the history of the pacy striker to find out where it all began.

Mansour Mendy was born on the 23rd of November, 1996. He grew up in a traditional Senegalese family and developed a keen interest in football, signing his first youth contract with Dakar Universite Club in June of 2010 at the age of 13. Little is known about his time in DUC's youth setup, but it is clear from the words of his youth team coach Kojo Aboubacar that the young Mendy was destined for greater things.

"[Mendy] was one of the most talented kids I had worked with through my whole career," Aboubacar revealed, "His pace and strength, not to mention his natural technique, marked him as a class above the other youngsters."

Mendy spent three years in the youth system at DUC before being promoted to the club's first team in 2013 at 16 years of age. He played 29 games for the club over two seasons, turning in some stunning performances for a return of 15 goals and 9 assists, becoming known throughout Senegal as a skilled youngster with pace to burn.

It wasn't long before Mendy's obvious talents were drawing interest from both home and abroad, with the Senegalese FA rewarding the youngster with a handful of youth international caps. He more than repaid their faith, scoring six goals from his first five games for the Senegal Under-19s, and his great form drew the attention of Tunisian giants Etoile du Sahel, who paid a fee of 325,000 pounds to DUC for the youngster's services. Just after his 18th birthday in November 2014, Mendy left home to join the club, where he was immediately recognised as one for the future. He also made an immediate impact, helping La Brigade Rouge to the Tunisian league title in his first year at the club. In an exclusive interview with FMCUM, Mendy revealed his reasons for leaving Senegal and how he adapted to life in a new country.

"It was tough to leave my family, but I knew it was for the best," Mendy explained, "I was earning $9 per week back in Senegal, and with the interest in me from abroad it was clear that it would be the better option for myself and my family to make the move."

It was a move that was soon to pay real dividends for Mendy, with his success in Tunisia again noticed by bigger clubs, this time from around Europe. The turning point arrived when enigmatic young manager City2000 took over at Dutch giants FC Twente and immediately made a move for the youngster.

"It was early days in my reign at Twente, but it was clear that we needed some fresh blood up front, particularly after Giovanni [sio] and Yero moved to AC Milan," said City2000, "Mendy fit the bill entirely and I knew as soon as he started playing for us that he would be a key man for years to come.

Mendy, whose transfer fee to Twente was a pittance at 1.5 million pounds, was one of three key strikers brought in at the start of the 2016/17 season, along with Colombian international Mario Cotes (16.5 million) and Nigerian Chimezie Bassey (350K). The trio, all youngsters (19, 20 and 23 respectively), provided a new dynamic in the front third for the Tukkers and competition was fierce. Mendy, as he had done before, immediately stood out above the rest. He scored his first goal for the club after 90 seconds on his debut, and became City2000's go-to man as Twente stormed up the table to sit top at the halfway mark. Only a broken shoulder midway through the season and a three-game ban late on stopped him from becoming the league's top scorer as the Senegalese striker netted 25 goals in 22 starts, helping Twente to the league title. He was also rewarded with his first caps for Senegal, and just as quickly became a key player in the national setup.

Teammates attributed his success to his indefatigable ambition and professional approach to the sport. Key fullback Domingos Seide, who joined the club a year after Mendy, commented at the time on the Senegalese international's attitude at the club.

"[Mendy] is a true professional, always eager to exceed expectations," Seide had said, "He's the last one to leave training and the first one in the gym, he just has that youthful exuberance that pushes him on to perform beyond his best."

Mendy was soon embraced by the club management and fans alike, and a spate of sponsorships and advertising deals followed. City2000 began rejecting bids for his star striker on a regular basis, most notably from Toulouse early in Mendy's FC Twente career. Chelsea also met Mendy's 15 million pound release clause early in the 2017/18 season, but Mendy repaid the club's faith in him by instead signing a contract extension with the Dutch club, almost doubling his release clause in the process. He also made great strides on the park, developing a reputation as one of the fastest men in football as he notched 23 goals in his first 24 appearances of the season.

By the start of the 2019/20 season, Mendy had scored 35 goals in 33 international appearances for Senegal, and had affirmed his status as one of the greatest goal poachers in football. His wage had increased to 37,000 pounds per week at Twente, which he reportedly used to secure a comfortable lifestyle for himself and his family. He had lifted the Johan Cruyff Shield once, the KNVB Cup once and the Eredivisie three times with FC Twente, and on a personal level had been awarded the Tournoi de Toulon player and top scorer of the tournament, been the topscorer in the Eredivisie twice, won African Young Footballer of the Year twice, won African Striker of the Year, been runner-up in both the African Footballer of the Year Award and the UEFA Champions League Golden Boot, and finally beat out Lionel Messi to win the adidas European Golden Shoe. Further honour was to follow as he was named in the FIFA World XI on the substitutes bench and then in the FMCU Dream Team with an incredible season rating of 8.19. Although he dropped out of the latter after being displaced by other strikers, he soon fought his way back to occupy the right central striker spot as of the 18th January 2012.

After failing to progress past the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals with FC Twente, City2000 left the club at the end of the 2020/21 season for a new challenge in Italy with Torino. Mendy lamented the iconic manager's departure, attributing his great success to the belief which City2000 had instilled in him.

"His departure is a great loss to the club and to Dutch football," Mendy told FMCUM, "It is my hope that we can continue to play in the manner which we were taught by City2000 and move on to greater things as a club. Much of my success is down to him, and on a personal level he has been a great friend to me, helping me to settle and prosper in a new continent, and I hope to be reunited with him at some point in the future."

Despite the obvious gap left by City2000's move to Italy, one thing is certain to remain constant: the talent and exuberance displayed by this boisterous and incredibly potent striker. One can only sit and watch in anticipation of the awards and records that are sure to follow, as the legend that is Mendy soars to greater and greater heights.

For more information on the career of Mendy and his manager City2000, read the career thread here.

City2000: I've extrapolated a lot of the details from your thread, but if there's anything that is incorrect or any extra information you'd like me to include feel free to let me know by PM or in the thread. :):D

Player Name (with link to player attributes screenshot): Dejan Vukojevic

Club and League: Bourneview, Carling Premiership

Career Thread (with link to thread): From Young Men to World Beaters?

Season: 2027/28

Age (at end of relevant season): 19

Matches played (subs): 42(1)

Goals (Clean Sheets for GK): 71

Assists (Goals Conceded for GK): 21

Average Rating (with link to proof): 8.46

Phew! Busy week. :)

dafuge: Vukojevic has been added. :thup:

jackripper: I feel your pain mate! I play on FM11 now as well, since I find it very smooth and enjoyable and I prefer to play unpatched, which I unfortunately can't do on FM12 for Steam reasons. However, I think it's probably best to keep this for FM12 players for consistency's sake and because I intend for this to be an annual thing anyway. :thup:

psychonaut: Unfortunately I can't add Sentürk because his rating isn't high enough to displace the incumbent strikers. Good season from him though. :)

I'll be adding another player feature shortly, if anyone has any suggestions for who the next one should be about feel free to comment! It can be about any player who has occupied the Dream Team at any stage, so it would be nice to see your opinions on whose player the thread should feature next.

I play FM10 so can't put any names forward here, but I'd say Edgar Vaca is a better player than Vukojevic and up there with Mendy as well (looking at attributes and the graphic display of them). I never get that ridiculous amount of goals out of my strikers nor that average rating, but he has no doubt lifted our team up a level or two and has put in one hell of a season now, that I will hopefully update tomorrow.

That Dream Team is quite an outfit. Wouldn't like to face them! :D

Edit: Just noticed that my left defender has a higher rating than the bloke in the team with 7.50 in 33 apps, but since it's FM10 he can't make the team. I'm very pleased with him though :)

• 3 weeks later...

Dream Team Player Feature - Tomas Hornak

FMCU Magazine

15/02/2012

hornaktomas-1.png

Today's focus is on the rise to prominence of a true goalkeeping legend, Czech Republic captain Tomas Hornak. Born in Prague in 1989, Hornak has grown to be one of the most decorated international goalkeepers on the global footballing scene, known not least for his antics both on and off the field. The influential stopper has been labelled "eccentric" or "unconventional" by certain pockets of the sporting media throughout his career, but these are not descriptions which bother Hornak; indeed, as he told FMCUM earlier this week, he revels in these characterisations.

"Downright crazy is what my friends say," laughs Hornak, "I suppose I've never been one for "traditional" methods of keeping, it's just not the way I play."

And it's his acrobatic style that first got him noticed amongst a new generation of talented Czech footballers, with hometown club Sparta Prague more than willing to snap up the young Hornak. Into his early twenties, Hornak proved that you don't have to journey far to find success in football, with some stunning early performances for Sparta Prague's youth team recognised by a move to the first team and the command of the number one jersey at the club. Hornak's coaches pinpointed his skills as a leader of men on the park, and he was soon rewarded with the captaincy.

"I never forgot the belief that my coaches gave me in my junior days, " Hornak says wistfully, "They knew I got on well with the other lads, and they backed me up with both a first team spot and the captaincy. It was a real show of faith and I like to think I've repaid that to some extent with my service to the club."

The young Hornak cemented his place in the Sparta Prague lineup with some exemplary, and at times memorable, performances. He was touted in the press as the successor to Petr Cech in the national team setup, and was seen by many as a goalkeeper who combined the best and the worst of Cech and Colombian sweeper-keeper Rene Higuita. Never shy to leave his penalty area in a match, Hornak's antics led to some exciting passages of play, more often than not capped off by an acrobatic save or two. Hornak was also known to play the ball out of danger on his own, on one occasion performing a Cruyff turn to evade a rapidly approaching opposition striker before dribbling the ball out towards the defensive line.

Off the pitch, the Czech goalkeeper was developing a similar reputation to his on-field one: that of an eccentric and borderline-crazy, yet nevertheless talented person. Hornak cultivated a taste for extreme sports and fast cars, using his ever-increasing wage packet to buy a variety of sports cars and pay for snowboard and motocross rides in the footballing off-season. His teammates at Prague grew to admire their captain for his easy-going and eccentric nature, and some even accompanied him on his extreme sports adventures.

Hornak's penchant for the unusual took nothing away from his on-field performances, with the Czech national team calling him up on many occasions, though always as backup to Petr Cech. It was a combination of fortunes that saw him make his debut for the national side at the ripe age of 27, with Petr Cech's eventual retirement coupled with the arrival at Sparta Prague of American manager ArsenalMetro, whose previous club New York Red Bulls had seen great success throughout his reign. The new manager took over with Prague regular visitors to Europe and still heavyweights domestically, and immediately set about reshaping the side.

"It was all change when ArsenalMetro arrived," reminisces Hornak, "A lot of the players I had played with for years were moved on, and new players were brought in. It was clear that the manager was very ambitious, and much as I regretted the team being broken up, I was excited to help the club move forward to a new era."

Hornak was one of few who were kept at the club as the new manager swept a new broom through every facet of the Czech champions, but he soon established himself with the new players and it wasn't long before the team began to gel and create some real results. In ArsenalMetro's first season at the club, Sparta Prague won the league and cup double, and there was a sense of optimism beginning to blossom around the ground. In the off-season, Hornak forewent his usual activities to lead the Czech Republic to the quarter finals of Euro 2016 in a good campaign for the Eastern European team, but Hornak was nonetheless disappointed to concede three against Greece to go home early from the competition.

Glory wasn't far away though, with Tomas' club career taking an astonishing leap forward in the 2016/17 season when Sparta Prague blew away all challengers to shock the footballing world with a win over Arsenal in the UEFA Champions League Final. Hornak kept a clean sheet despite eight on-target Arsenal attempts and pundits sung the praises of the eccentric stopper's spectacular saves as he revelled in the fame and fortune the Champions League crown brings. Teammate and fellow Dream Team representative Sebastian Vicente Moya remembers Hornak's performance and the team's reaction to such a stunning achievement:

"It's not every day you see a scorpion kick in the Champions League final," chuckles the Spaniard, "Old Horny certainly is a special one! The thing is, no-one on the team was concerned or anxious when we'd turn around to see him flailing his arms and running wildly out of the area to stop a one-on-one or sweep up a through ball. He does things differently, but he certainly gets the job done."

Prague backed up their Champions League success by repeating the acheivement next season, as well as dominating their domestic competitions. Hornak again turned in some trademark performances, particularly in the latter stages of the Champions League, with manager ArsenalMetro describing his semi-final second leg performance against Arsenal as "brilliant" and saying after the final that the experienced keeper had a "stellar night" and was "immense".

Despite the success and fame, however, Hornak's time in Prague was drawing to a close. Competition for the number one jersey had developed at the club in the form of newly-capped Dutch up-and-comer Henk Jan de Haas, and a 14.25 million euro bid from English Premier League side Aston Villa proved the tipping point for Hornak and for ArsenalMetro.

"Young van de Haas was doing very well in training and on the park, and he deserved to at least compete with Tomas for a starting berth," explains ArsenalMetro, "And when a bid of that size comes in for any player approaching 30, you'd be foolish not to consider it. In the end, we decided that it was best for Tomas' career and the club that we accept the bid. It was a tough decision to make over a senior team member who had provided years of loyal service to the club, and neither the club nor its fans have ever forgotten the style, professionalism and talent he brought to Sparta Prague."

Hornak left for Villa Park in mid-2018 after the World Cup, for which the Czech Republic had failed to qualify. He described his move to pastures new as "an exciting and challenging opportunity", but also expressed his regret at leaving behind the club and fans he had grown to love and admire. His time at Aston Villa proved successful, with his eccentric style and obvious talent striking a chord with the Villains faithful. Sparta Prague fans too have more to hope for with Hornak recently informing the media of his intent to help coach a new generation of young goalkeepers in his homeland after his retirement from professional football, potentially paving the way for a much-welcomed return to Prague.

"It's something that has always tickled my fancy," said Hornak, "If I could cap off the wonderful career I have enjoyed by helping to give back to the next generation of goalkeepers, it would just be that much more special."

For more information about the exploits of manager ArsenalMetro and his charges, read his career thread by clicking here.

Any new submissions to the team, anyone? Would still like this to be stickied if possible since I think it would get more attention that way, I'm eager to make it a competitive team! :D

• 4 months later...

I'm back! :)

Haven't updated this for a while, but rest assured the Dream Team is still going for anyone who wishes to enter. I figured I'd wait a while to let people really get into their careers and uncover some great players, so now is as good a time as any to pick up where we left off. :thup:

I've been reading many of the fantastic career threads here over the last few months, and I'm sure we've got some great candidates for the team now (Sola anyone? :cool:) so just to remind everyone, eligible players must be from FM12 and submissions must be made using the submission form in the OP (makes it easier for me!).

Good luck! :)

Seeing as you recommended him :D

Player Name (with link to player attributes screenshot): Iker Sola

Position: AMC/ST (Normally up front,will play in AMC in dire emergencies)

Nationality: Spanish

Club and League: C.D.Vitoria in Liga BBVA

Career Thread (with link to thread): One Day We'll Basque In Glory!

Season: 2024/25

Age (at end of relevant season): 26

Matches played (subs): 59

Goals (Clean Sheets for GK): 159

Assists (Goals Conceded for GK): 25

Average Rating (with link to proof): 9.14

Seeing as you recommended him :D

Player Name (with link to player attributes screenshot): Iker Sola

Position: AMC/ST (Normally up front,will play in AMC in dire emergencies)

Nationality: Spanish

Club and League: C.D.Vitoria in Liga BBVA

Career Thread (with link to thread): One Day We'll Basque In Glory!

Season: 2024/25

Age (at end of relevant season): 26

Matches played (subs): 59

Goals (Clean Sheets for GK): 159

Assists (Goals Conceded for GK): 25

Average Rating (with link to proof): 9.14

Added, it's amazing how many goals you get him to score in such a competitive league. :thup:

Archived