[FM12] Canadian travelling with a oddly checkered ball [journeyman FM12]

cerud

I think you made a good choice in going to Southampton, good luck!
Another good move up the footballing ladder :thup:. Definitely a chance for some good progression at Soton with everything seeming to be in place; financially stable, a good fan catchment area and youth upgrades on the horizon.

Expectations for the season?

Cheers guys :) Expectations are coming up right away.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2017-2018 Pre-season

6e504316e494.jpg

Southampton FC - nPower Football League Championship

nPower Football League Championship: Achieve a respectable league position

FA Cup with Budweiser: 4th Round

Carling Cup: 3rd Round

Media Prediction: 9th of 24

Sky Bet Promotion Odds: 25-1

Wage Budget: $16 915 226 (currently spending $17 344 288, need to cut a few...)

Transfer Budget: $7 032 312 (a transfer budget!!! :) )

Main Kit Sponsorship: $594 236

Additional Kit Sponsorship: $64 440

General Sponsorship: $58 940

TV Rights: $4.23M

Brilliant move Cerud :thup:

I've always had a soft spot for the Saints, so I'll be interested to see how far you can take them.

Thanks, roganp! Still working on building the team in the pre-season, but hopefully will have some updates later on.

2017-2018 Pre-season Matches

6e504316e494.jpg

Again, a new team, I was working on getting the squad up to speed on a more tactical front. However, I was also able to playa a few matches elsewhere in Europe this time, which I took advantage of.

England - Larkhell Athletic - won 10-0

England - Sutton United - won 4-0

England - Exeter City - won 3-0

Belgium - Club Brugge KV - won 5-1

Germany - Hamburger SV - won 2-1

Scotland - Kilmarnock - won 3-0

I was very happy about our performance as well as how fast the team picked up our tactic and made it fluid. The quickest so far. Also particularily happy at our performances against Club Brugge and HSV :)

2017-2018 Off-season Transfers

6e504316e494.jpg

Transfers - Still have quite a bit, over $6M, of my transfer budget left. My main goal was strengthening the defense. THe rest of the squad is not bad, although I would take on a quality midfielder or two.

Farhod Vasiev - D RL, WB L - Fullbacks is what I needed; fullbacks is what I got. Vasiev will take duties on the left.

Eddie Nolan - D RL - Nolan can play either side and will likely act for cover for both.

Marco Thijssen - ST - I found Thijssen in the market unsigned with anyone. While his acceleration is poor, I'm hoping that he makes up for in in other ways. He looks impressive for this level and I love that he's also left-footed too.

Wow....you won promotion with the Daggers....did better then I did in League 1 :D

Best decision to move to Southampton so the best of luck with them!

Thanks, BWG! Southampton's treating me well so far. 10 matches in and a decent League Cup runs so far.

I've read from where I left of 6 weeks ago after my laptop broke! I love this thread Cerud

Cheers iHeadHunta! Sorry to hear about your laptop. Glad you enjoy the thread :)

Thijssen does look handy for the level you're at. Probably just what you need for a cheeky play-off push :thup:
Some nice signings there, good luck for the year ahead!

Thanks, Raware and City2000. Thijssen is young, but he's doing well so far. As far as a playoff push, well, sitting pretty in the number one spot after 10 matches ;)

I had a feeling you'd have a good promotion challenge right away.

Thanks, deltablue :)

In Other News...

15 November 2017

From the News Ticker...

vang.png

I've already passed on this same opportunity once. The two teams that I want to manage at some point are Vancouver and Tottenham...not sure if I can pass this up again. But, I'm having a good time at Southampton as well. We're in 1st after 11 matches, but begin pursued closely as we're only leading by 2 points. Not sure what to do...

Tough call but it might be time to go with your gut instinct on this one and I reckon that means taking the Vancouver job.
Wow that's a tough one. Just go with your gut instinct...you can always get a job again in the Championship or another 3 star level league down the road...
Lightning doesn't usually strike twice...take the Vancouver job. As rancer said, you can always get a job again in the Championship in the future. You'll kick yourself if you turn it down again.

Cheers City2000, rancer, and Raware. I think the idea of lightning not striking twice is true. I expect to be back in Europe at some point, but if I don't go now to the MLS, I think I may pass it by.

And you can finish the job at Southampton, and maybe do more while you're on a roll, not simply settle with having reached the championship, and go to Vancouver at a more appropriate moment.

I completely understand what you're saying, deltablue. However, those were the exact same reasons I gave myself the last time around when I was billed for the Vancouvr job. Kind of thinking this is the appropriate moment for me...although probably not for The Saints :)

20 November 2017

From the News Ticker...

He's coming home! Journeyman manager Cerud has just signed a two year contract with the Vancouver Whitecaps after previously manager Mark Wotte accepted the job at Real Salt Lake. Cerud, a former resident of Vancouver, has expressed his admiration for the young club's, remembering the days he watched as a fan. On arriving at the Vancouver International Airport, where an impromptu news conference was held, Cerud stated, "I'm absolutely delighted to return to Canada and especially to Vancouver. Having lived here previously, I have a deep love for the city and am looking forward to helping lift the Whitecaps to their first MLS win."

VancouverWhitecapslogo.jpg

Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Major League Soccer

It had to be done. I've signed a two year contract at $450 000, a bit of a wage cut, but worth to to manage one of my favourite teams. As far as expaining contracts, wage budgets, etc., I think I'll dedicate a separate posting to all that for my European friends! ;)

A quick background...

Founded in 1974, Vancouver Whitecaps FC are a professional Canadian club currently playing in the Major League Soccer. The club play their home games at BC Place and possess average training facilities and good youth facilities. The Vancouver reserve team play at Swangard Stadium. The club also has average junior coaching and an average youth recruitment network. The club is affectionately known as The Whitecaps and retains a fierce rivalry with Seattle Sounders FC.

Having enjoyed success as recently as 2011, The Whitecaps are a club with a growing history. Vancouver won the Canadian Championship in 2011 and finished runner-up on four occasions, won the American 2nd tier in 2006 and 2008 and finished runners-up once, won the Cascadia Cup in 2004, 2005, and 2008 and finished runners-up on two occasions, and won the American top division for the only time in 1979.

BC Place is a 21 000 all-seater stadium according to SI. However, in real life, it can actually seat over 60 000 (they just minimize seating for MLS matches, but can open it up for travelling friendly matches against European sides). The stadium is shared with Vancouver's CFL (Canadian Football League) team, the BC Lions. That's American football for you European types!

5cc68_soccer_3069208066_ae3057036d.jpg

headersize-BCPlaceVision2011StadiumRoof2011-10-12184500-5.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get to see the home opener this season IRL

Should be an awesome match! :)

Good luck with the Whitecaps cerud!* Welcome home. :D

* except TFC of course ;)

How's your squad like?

Toronto!?!? ;) It's funny that Vancouver and Toronto are only listed as "other rivalries". You'd think it should be fierce, especially because they're both the main competitors for the Canadian Championship.

Toronto!?!? ;) It's funny that Vancouver and Toronto are only listed as "other rivalries". You'd think it should be fierce, especially because they're both the main competitors for the Canadian Championship.

It's probably just a Canadian rivalry. We aren't fierce rivals in hockey (we have Habs and Sens, you have Chicago, Edmonton, Calgary) but we're rivals because we're both Canadian clubs.

It's probably just a Canadian rivalry. We aren't fierce rivals in hockey (we have Habs and Sens, you have Chicago, Edmonton, Calgary) but we're rivals because we're both Canadian clubs.

I'm originally from Edmonton; I know about hockey rivalry with Calgary ;) Vancouver and Edmonton have a healthy rivalry, but for some reason, both Edmonton and Vancouver hate Calgary more. Not sure why.

Alright, I'm going to take a post and try to explain the MLS salary and wage system. First of all, all North American professional team sports and how they are run can be confusing to anyone not familiar with them. In MLS there is a salary cap set for each team. This means that no team is allowed to spend higher than the cap for all of their players in an effort to balance out the league and make it more competitive. However, there are ways around this, both in the type of contract a player is signed to as well as what is known as allocation funds.

First, allocation funds. Teams can be awarded additional funds to raise their individual team's salary cap. Allocation funds are given out to teams for various reasons:

• Failing to get into the MLS Playoffs.
  • As part of a transfer deal of a player to another club that is outside of the MLS.
  • Qualifying for the CONCACAF Champions League.

Allocation funds can only be uses in specific ways, but the easiest way to understand it is that it applies against the salary cap to raise it whatever portion is awarded.

Second, player contract types. There are a bunch of different contracts in MLS, which include:

[*]Designated Player contracts (also known as the Beckham rule)

[*]Senior contracts

[*]Senior Entry Level contracts

[*]Academy Apprendice contracts

[*]Generation Addidas contracts

[*]Developmental contracts

Designated Player (DP) Contracts

Each team is given 3 DP contracts, which enables them to sign a player at whatever wage they want. The good thing is that only a certain portion, $325 000, is counted against the salary cap. This means you could sign a player on a DP contract for millions and have it only count for $325 000, definitely helps in bringing in marquee players from Europe, Asia, and Africa!

Senior Contracts

These are the bulk of your squad. They are similar to a first team, full time contract. They must be under $325 000.

Senior Entry Level Contracts

These are the the next largest bunch of contracts. They are your backups. Again, they must be under $325 000, but are likely to be much lower.

Academy Apprentice (AA) Contracts

These are your hot prospects that are on your first team and reserve squads. Again, they should be cheaper. These contracts do not count against your team's salary cap.

Generation Addidas (GA) Contracts

This is another contract type for young and emerging domestic talent. They will likely get more wages than the AA contract players because of their level of talent. Most likely, they will be backup players under this contract type. These players can only be offered such a contract out of the SuperDraft and are considered to be the stars of tomorrow.

Developmental Contracts

This is another type of hot prospect contract.

So, lets take a look at Vancouver's wage budgets...

League Salary Cap: $3 564 704

Allocation Funds: $291 139

Wage Budget: $3 861 146

Technically the salary cap plus allocation funds should equal the wage budget. I've found that SI is always a little off when it comes to finances :)

Current Wages Spent: $7 774 874

Wait, what!?!? I'm spending almost double my wage budget??? But, remember, DP, AA, and GA contracts; they will save us!

I currently have two DP players.

Ilsinho - $2 400 000

Hernán Pérez - $3 400 000

Both of these only count as $325 000 each against my total wage budget. I also have three AA contract players.

Oscar Pascual - $31 500

Stuart McIntosh - $31 500

Zarko Milanovic - $31 500

These don't count at all against my wage budget. I also have two GA contract players.

Jesse Gordon - $ 45 000

Dane Blackmun - $62 000

Again, these do not count agaisnt my budget. SO, the numbers now look like this...

Total Wages - $7 774 874

Minus extra DP money - $5 150 000

AA Contracts - $94 500

GA Contracts - $107 000

New wages - $2 423 374

This is what I`m actually spending against my salary cap. This shows that I actually have wage money to spare.

Hope this helped make a little sense :)

Thanks cerud. That helped a lot in explaining the wage allocations, something which definitely confused me (not difficult I know ;)). Now, if you could just explain drafts, the different conferences and their rules and why Canadian teams are in the MLS that would be great! ;):D.

Thanks cerud. That helped a lot in explaining the wage allocations, something which definitely confused me (not difficult I know ;)). Now, if you could just explain drafts, the different conferences and their rules and why Canadian teams are in the MLS that would be great! ;):D.

Anytime, Raware. As for the rest...sure, I got some time ;) I'll try to explain those as well.

Congrats on taking the Vancouver job :thup:

Great job explaining that, although admittedly I had to read it a few times to take it in :D

Not the easiest, I know. Almost need a finance degree ;)

As per Raware's request, I'll attempt to explain a few more aspects of the MLS>

Conferences

The MLS league is divided into two conferences, West and East, each with nine teams. Most pro sports in North America have similar divisions. There are a few reasons for this; of which MLS follows little of.

The main reason North American sports have conferences is to create regional rivals and to balance travel time in a multi-time zone country. Canada and the USA are a part of 6 time zones. This can make travel costs huge for a team. Usually, teams within conferences play each other more often than team outside of the conference. Unfortunately, the MLS doesn't follow this.

For the MLS, conferences help decide the playoff structure, which will be explained next.

Playoff Structure

After the season is completed, the top three teams from each conference automatically qualify for the playoffs. The final two spots to round out the eight total are decided from the entire league table. The top four teams that did not make the playoffs in their respective conferences play each other for two wild card spots. This gives eight teams.

Now, this gets a little tricky. Each conference plays their own playoff to find a conference winner out of their three respective teams plus one of the wild card teams. However, there is the possiblity that both wild card spots could be won by teams from one conference. In that case, one of those teams will "cross over" and play as a team from the other conference for the purposes of this playoff. Once a West and East finalist are decided, these two teams play each other for the MLS Cup, the highest prize and league title.

Canadian Teams

Why not Canadian teams?? ;) Again, most North American sport leagues have American and Canadian teams. The only glaring omission is American football. USA has the NFL and Canada has the CFL. However, even they have experimented with cross border teams. The NFL has considered Toronto as a possible expansion before and the CFL used to have American teams (remember Baltimore anyone?)

It would be very difficult for Canada to have a viable sport market by itself. Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world but with a population of around 36M - 38M. We have the lowest population density overall in the world. As spread out as the country is, an independent Canadian league would likely be not economically sound.

In addition, as much of Canadian and American culture, television, etc is intertwined, adding sports to that doesn't really hurt. Just don't call us Americans! ;) Like calling a Scot an Englishman!

Currently, there are two Canadian teams, Toronto and Vancouver. In the 2012 season, Montreal will join the league, making a total of three Canadian clubs in the MLS.

CONCACAF Champions League Spots

Qualifying for the CONCACAF Champions League is different as well. First the top three American teams in the overall MLS standings qualify. However, if a Canadian team finishes in the top three, the next highest American side will qualify. The fourth American spot is given to the winner of the US Cup (like the FA Cup in England).

One Canadian team qualifies. They are decided by the winner of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship. Four teams play in this domestic competition, the Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto FC, Montreal Impact, and FC Edmonton.

The Drafts

First of all, MLS teams have no youth squads. Well, in reality, they have youth academies, but these are purely to develop home grown players and are operated separately from their respective clubs. MLS clubs get new talent through the MLS SuperDraft.

The MLS SuperDraft is held in January before each season. This is where teams pick, in order, new players. The draft order is as follows.

• 1-10 - Non-playoff clubs (worst regular season record to best)
  • 11-14 - Teams eliminated in the Playoff quarter finals
  • 15-16 - Teams eliminated in the Playoff semi finals
  • 17 - MLS Cup finalist runner-up
  • 18 - MLS Cup Winner

The order is done this way in an effort to balance out the league by giving the worst finishing teams the best draft picks. However, draft picks can also be traded (I'll explain trading later). Suffice it to say, the higher the draft pick, the more its worth. The draft consists of two rounds.

This is followed by the MLS Supplemental Draft. Yes, another draft...don't you love us North Americans! This draft picks up where the other left off. The only difference is, where the MLS SuperDraft is televised, the Supplemental Draft is done through an ownership conference call. The MLS realized that after the initial two rounds of the draft, more of their television audience tuned out, hence the separation.

Trades

Basically, if it's not nailed down, you can trade it. The North American trading system is similar to other international leagues and their transfer system; the difference is in the currency. In international football, players are bought for money. In MLS, the players ARE the money. Players have a value and this can be used to trade to a team who may need your player (i.e. they are weak in the specific position, etc.). Teams can also trade allocation funds, draft picks, future draft picks, and more.

I hope this helps. If anyone wants to learn more about the MLS, I'll to happy to try an explain.

Cheers,

cerud

Not a bad guide there.

Thanks, deltablue!

These guides are starting to rival my guides.. :o:D

We do have the CSL but it's mainly the east coast of the country and it's considered the 3rd tier behind the MLS and NASL in the Canadian soccer pyramid.

Cheers, rancer! That's high praise :) We do have the CSL, but for me that's like hockey and the OJHL, AJHL, etc. It doesn't really register on the level of pro leagues in the minds of most Canadians. They're pretty much like one level above university leagues :)

Cheers, rancer! That's high praise :) We do have the CSL, but for me that's like hockey and the OJHL, AJHL, etc. It doesn't really register on the level of pro leagues in the minds of most Canadians. They're pretty much like one level above university leagues :)

I don't even think it's a pro league.. :p

CSL is more like the Central Hockey League or the Southern Professional Hockey League because CSL do get part-time wages. I know them just because Esther Shiner stadium (where North York Astros play) isn't far from my uni. :lol:

Thanks for explaining all of that cerud, a fantastic summary which I actually followed :thup:. I may even decided to venture there sometime now, of course with your guide close to hand. But, still after all of that, why make things so complicated? ;) Seriously though, surely there must be a more simple way?

2018 Pre-season

Major League Soccer: Reach the Conference Preliminary Round

Nutrilite Canadian Championship: Not regarded as important

Salary Cap: $3 861 146

Allocation Funds: $41 139

Wages Currently Spent: $8 026 471

Wages Currently Spent after Considerations: $2 446 413

Main Kit Sponsorship: $3 807 786

Additional Kit Sponsorship: $573 000

Also, just received this bit of news...

scoutr.png

2018 SuperDraft and Supplemental Draft

We entered the MLS SuperDraft with four picks in the first round, which was great. I was able to really build for the future with players that will definitely be valuable backups to the main squad for now. We also got a Generation Adidas player, which means that their contract is paid by Adidas for the duration. Adidas usually picks the best of the draft and offers them contracts in an effor to help the MLS develop local youth players. (Not sure if this is coded into FM12 or not...I may still have to pay the contract even though in real life, I wouldn't)

MLS SuperDraft

1st Round

3rd Pick - Javier Díaz - M RC - Generation Adidas contract

13th Pick - Mohammed Danso - D C - Senior contract

14th Pick - Benjamin Gjertsen - D LC - Senior contract

15th Pick - Jason McIntosh - D C, DM, M C - Developmental contract

2nd Round - No picks

3rd Round

45th Pick - Jesús Torres Lara - D RC - Developmental contract

So, the ratings of the MLS SuperDraft were as follows:

Seattle - A+

CD Chivas USA - A+

DC United - A+

New York - A

Real Salt Lake - A-

Toronto FC - B+

Vancouver - B

Sporting Kansas City - B

Chicago - B

Philadelphia - B-

Columbus - B-

Houston - B-

Los Angeles - B-

FC Dallas - B-

Colorado - B-

San Jose - C+

Portland - C

New England - C

MLS Supplemental Draft

1st Round

1st Pick - Kevin Wheeldon - ST - Developmental contact

5th Pick - Neil Clark - D R - Developmental contract

9th Pick - Peter Ntombayithethi - AM RL, ST - Developmental contract

11th Pick - Forfeited all other picks as remaining players were not deemed of MLS calibre

All players drafted from the MLS Supplemental Draft will go to the reserve squad. I may also move some of the others from the SuperDraft there as well later on. We'll see how they do with the pre-season.

Best of luck with Vancouver,also the guides you wrote were fantastic and will be a very good help for people who have never played in the MLS before.

Diaz also looks like he should be able to do the job once his mental stats improve.

Best of luck with Vancouver,also the guides you wrote were fantastic and will be a very good help for people who have never played in the MLS before.

Diaz also looks like he should be able to do the job once his mental stats improve.

Thanks, BWG. I'm thinking about writing out a bit of a MLS guide for all as a separate piece. I guess if there is any interest or not :) Diaz was the best of what I had to pick. He's rated at 3.5 CA, 5 PA. I like with physical stats and he's got the bones to turn into a quality player. He'll be a decent backup for now so I can give him some decent first squad time.

2018 Off-Season Transfers

Transfers - We spent some money this year in building our team, but it should be worth it. I dropped one of our DP players as the two we had were both in the same position. I haven't filled the second slot yet, but there's no rush. I haven't found the right player yet.

I've decided to change format a little and show the off-season as a chronological progression. Here we go! :) Incoming players are hyperlinked.

Chronology

28 November 2017 - signed Tom Pena on a free transfer

9 December 2017 - traded Kyle Davies to Real Salt Lake for a 2018 MLS SuperDraft 13th pick in the 1st Round and 2019 MLS SuperDraft 2nd Round pick (FC Dallas')

30 December 2017 - signed Josh Cameron from FC Edmonton from $140 000

11 January 2018 - MLS SuperDraft

16 January 2018 - MLS Supplemental Draft

21 January 2018

- signed Jermain Defoe on a free transfer

- signed Kyle Bartley on a free transfer

- signed Léo Veloso on a free transfer

22 January 2018 - traded Hernán Pérez to Al-Gharnafa for $250 000 (still required to pay $650 000 of Pérez`s $2.4M Vancouver salary for 1 year)

7 February 2018

- signed Ehab Mahrous from Haras El-Hadoud in Egypt for $150 000

- traded Mamoudou Simpara to San Jose from a 2019 MLS SuperDraft 2nd Round pick

11 February 2018 - signed Justin Mapp from FC Dallas for $80 000

8 March 2018 - MLS Waiver Draft

- signed Jake Huetro in the 1st Round (9th pick)

12 March 2018 - signed Emilio Orozco from Al-Arabi (QAT) in Qatar for $400 000

Archived