[FM12] Canadian travelling with a oddly checkered ball [journeyman FM12]

cerud

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although they're not the bigger club, financial wise and options for further growth make it a good move for me. To have that much debt and players on such a high wage at Preston, it didn't look like you could really progress. I'm sure you can stay clear of relegation this season...just don't lose to Preston ;)

Thanks, Raware. I believe it's the best move for me as well. I was kind of disappointed that I got promoted and had my wage budget cut. Those should not go hand in hand. The offer from The Daggers made my decision easier.

Bit of a surprise.

Indeed it is, deltablue :) If it weren't for the offer, I'm not sure what would have happened. Either way, Preston is in dire trouble.

Good luck with the Daggers,hope you can find success with them :thup:
Certainly living up to the Journeyman name! Good luck with your new position :thup:

Thanks, BWG and City2000! Initially in my career, I was wondering when the journeyman part would begin as I was with Dynamos for so long. Not wondering that anymore!

Interesting move, good luck with the daggers! :)

Thanks, roganp.

I've found it!!!

When I took over Preston I knew someone else had somewhere in this Forum! I've been reading since your days in South Africa just never commented on it!

Interesting move to Daggers but nevertheless the best of luck my old chum :thup:;)

Cheers, HotChocolate! Thanks and welcome :) Is Preston in dire financial pain in your career as well or are they faring better?

Cheers, HotChocolate! Thanks and welcome :) Is Preston in dire financial pain in your career as well or are they faring better?

When I joined they had £93k in the red so not bad at all (in comparison to all other clubs) but obviously compensation to staff will have made it slightly worse.

When I joined they had £93k in the red so not bad at all (in comparison to all other clubs) but obviously compensation to staff will have made it slightly worse.

That's much better than how I found them :) Best of luck of you! :)

2016-2017 Pre-season Matches

Dagenham_and_Crest.png

Dagenham & Redbridge - nPower Football League One

This year, I had to use the pre-season matches to try and get the squad confident with my tactics. Still working on it, but I was very happy with our progression.

England - Accrington Stanley - won 4-0

England - West Bromwich Albion Reserves - won 5-3

England - Thurrock - won 5-0

England - Gillingham - won 6-1

England - Dorchester Town - won 3-0

I was very happy about our work, especially battling back against the West Brom Reserves to come out ahead. Still hoping of another right winger, hopefully a loan signing, but the squad has shaped up well.

2016-2017 Off-season Transfers

Dagenham_and_Crest.png

Transfers - I've brought in a efw players, some for right away and other to hopefully grow with the team for years to come.

Michael Wright - D/WB L - Wright is a young up and coming leftback that will definitely be able to play some matches at this level. It will be a growth year for him so that he can be ready to take over the top job either next year or the year after.

Nadjim Abdou - D R, DM, M C - Abdou is my experience. He's a top player at the midfield and at rightback so he'll see a top of playing time.

Oliver Lee - M C - Lee is a solid midfielder who will share time with our other players on that role. We have a good midfield, so players will be coming off and on in this role.

Adrian Kelly - M C, ST - Kelly has amazing physical stats for this level. I've got him tutorin with another palyer to bring up his determination and mental abilities. Hopefully, some 1st squad playing time will help bolster his attacking abilities as well.

2012 Summer Olympic Games

Olympia_2016_-_Rio.svg

Group A: Argentina, Qatar, South Africa, Switzerland

Group B: Spain, Senegal, United States, Japan

Group C: Brazil, Uruguay, China, New Zealand

Group D: Honduras, South Korea, Cameroon, Belarus

Quarter Finals

Argentina 2 - 2p Senegal

Spain 3 - 0 Qatar

South Korea 0 - 1 Brazil

Honduras 2 - 0 Uruguay

Semi Finals

Spain 2 - 0 Senegal

Brazil 3 - 0 Honduras

3rd Place Playoff

Honduras 1 - 2 Senegal

Final

Brazil 2p - 2 Spain

So it ends up...

• Gold - Brazil
  • Silver - Spain
  • Bronze - Senegal

I've have to laugh at what I just noticed,you've took over Dag + Red in the 16/17 season in League 1....my last season with the Daggers was in 16/17 in League 1 :lol:

I took over where you left off I guess :)

The grass may or may not be greener in Dagenham, but at least their stadium isn't falling down! Good luck in Essex! :)

Preston is actually doing very well so far in this league, but they had to sell some of their top players and have a small squad. May hurt in the latter stages of the season. However, they're not doing as well as me ;)

2 October 2016

From the News Ticker...

vanw.png

The job I've been waiting for... But I've finally just settled in at Dag & Red. I'm thinking I'll just decline to talk at all and see where the chips fall.

Typical! The move you want comes after you've already moved. If they offer you the job, will you take it? Or is that like asking if rancer would turn down the Canada job? ;)

:) Totally like asking rancer to deny the Canada job! But even he said that he didn't go after it the first time around this time around. I'm not going to apply just because I've bounced around quite a bit recently. BUt I will manage the Whitecaps someday!

You can take it when it comes up later.

Thanks, deltablue. I agree. Besides, I'm doing well with The Daggers and promotion is looking more and more like a reality everyday :)

If you wait around long enough then you'll get the job at some point in the future.

Cheers, HotChocolate. They better!!!

:) Totally like asking rancer to deny the Canada job! But even he said that he didn't go after it the first time around this time around. I'm not going to apply just because I've bounced around quite a bit recently. BUt I will manage the Whitecaps someday!

I actually don't really remember declining the Canada job (when I was offered it) but I certainly did reject the TFC job once (when they offered without me applying). That was FM10 or FM11 though when MLS was totally bugged and I didn't have much interest managing in MLS as part of my career game.

After my MLS stint in my career game it's highly unlikely I'll head back there in my current save. Wait it out because hopefully the next patch improves some aspects of MLS management.

I actually don't really remember declining the Canada job (when I was offered it) but I certainly did reject the TFC job once (when they offered without me applying). That was FM10 or FM11 though when MLS was totally bugged and I didn't have much interest managing in MLS as part of my career game.

After my MLS stint in my career game it's highly unlikely I'll head back there in my current save. Wait it out because hopefully the next patch improves some aspects of MLS management.

Oops, my bad. I thought you had mentioned that you didn't accept the Canadian job the first time around this save, but it might have been that it was available and you didn't apply.

2016-2017 Mid-season Update

Dagenham_and_Crest.png

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - This has been a great opening half to the season. We've struggled a bit recently, but this is due to a congested schedule as we are in the FA Cup and heading to the finals of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy :) Also, injuries are starting to affect our play so hopefully we can turn this around. We were at one point leading the league by about 5 points, but now sit in a tie for first, with...guess who ;)

Transfers - Brought in some help, mainly in the midfield.

Players of Note...

Calum Butcher - D RC - My best rated player. Butcher is the strength of my defense and never has a bad match. He's also netted his fair share of goals on the attacking corner.

Jon McShane - ST - League leader in goals, assists, average rating...pretty all round good guy. McShane broke the Dag & Red record for most goals in a season...in November. I'm just happy that he didn't decide to rest on his laurels. But it also kind of makes one wonder...what the hell did he do last season if he was able to score like this??

Looking tight at the top but with McShane up front for you, no wonder your goal difference is looking good. As Hot Chocolate said, hopefully the dreaded 'FM poor run of form' doesn't strike in the second half of the season!

Butcher and McShane are pure class for League One - You should be able to stay top as long as these two keep delivering the goods!

Thanks, abulezz. So far, so good. McShane has tailored off a little but other players have stepped up to fill in the void. McShane is still good, but I guess one can't expect hattricks all the time ;)

Great start so far, lets hope you don't get one of those horrible runs that are common in FM :D
Looking tight at the top but with McShane up front for you, no wonder your goal difference is looking good. As Hot Chocolate said, hopefully the dreaded 'FM poor run of form' doesn't strike in the second half of the season!

The "poor FM run" hasn't happened so far! We've got our players off of injury and have picked up some very important wins against teams that were really close to us. We now have a 9 point lead with 10 matches left in the season. Looking good *knocks on wood*

Top at the halfway point,very impressive indeed :D
Still a very close.
Looking good :thup:
Great start :thup: Mcshane looks very good for that level.

Thanks, BWG, deltablue, City2000, and roganp! :) We're starting to pulls ahead now, so the nerves are settling down a bit.

Getting to the end of the season, only 1 game left to go and The Daggers still have no offerred me a new contract. However, this came by the inbox...

jobrl.jpg

I declined to comment, but I'm curious it they'll come with an offer. Probably won't take it...it's the first real interest in me besides the MLS.

Looking very good for promotion, Mr Cerud, very good indeed. Let's just hope McShane doesn't do his hamstring or something ;)

Funny you should say that.... Five days before the final for the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, he injures himself for 10 days. Not a bad injury but I now have 3 of my 4 strikers injured for that final.

2016-2017 Season in Review

Dagenham_and_Crest.png

npower%20league%201

1st Place - League Champions

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - Well, we finished with a less than desirable record and pissed away out 11 point lead in the standings. For the final match, we were only leading by 2 points. However, a solid return to form and win gave us the league title and promotion to the Championship League!

The Cups...

FA Cup with Budweizer - A decent run. We exceeded our Board's expectations and were taken out by Championship side Southampton in the 4th Round.

110108064938536697438958.png

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - We had a fantastic run in this competition, culminating in winning the trophy and doing the Double along with the League Trophy win! Our final match was difficult as we were down to one healthy striker, but a change to a back up tactic solidified the win.

Carling Cup - Nothing to write home about. Didn't even get out of the starting blocks.

Transfers - Nothing spent this year as I had no transfer budget (as always...).

Players of Note...

Calum Butcher - D RC - Our top defender and the highest average rating in the league. Butcher's attractive a lot of attention from Championship level sides and will definitely be helping the cause to remain there next season for The Daggers.

Dennis Knight - M/AM C, ST - When McShane hit a dry spell, his striking partner, Knight, stepped up to fill the hole. A solid attacker and a left footed player as well, which balance out the front. I'm hoping that he is still able to improve as I'd like to keep him around as a solid backup.

Jon McShane - ST - League leader in goals, McShane is now the record holder for most goals in the League One by any one player. He could have had even more, but production tailored off in the latter stages of the season due to injury and, lets face it, complacency. Hopefully the step up to a new league challenges McShane like he needs.

Finances - We made money this year, but not much. Our small stadium is a hindrance as we could be getting much better gate receipts.

Facilities - I've been begging for a new stadium. Our's has been rated at a very poor condition since I arrived. We have a 94% attendence ratio with 14 sellouts this past season. Given that we just got promoted, we are in dire need of a new stadium, plus we'd actually own it. Now that the season is done, I get this in the inbox...

stadiumi.png

This doesn't help at all. Capacity remains the same and we still will not own the stadium. This is pure shortsightedness by the Board and will hurt out chances next year.

Awards

• nPower League One Golden Boot - Jon McShane - 1st Place
  • nPower League One Manager of the Season - Cerud - 1st Place
  • PFA League One Team of the Year - Calum Butcher (D C), Jon McShane (ST)

Fans' Player of the Year - Calum Butcher

Former Club Watch

Dynamos FC - Finished a disappointing 12th in the ABSA Premiership, only 8 points above relegation.

FK Spartak MAS Sezimovo Ústí - Sitting in 15th in the Gambrinus Liga. Not good enough to stay. They'll be relegated.

Preston North End - Surprisingly, Preston finished in 3rd in League One! Will update more once the playoffs are finished.

Next Year...

I, again, have some decisions to make. I'm worried that the Board of Dag & Red is not committed to Championship League football. While they are putting seats in the stadium, they should be expanding it. This only serves to put us into debt without any chance for a payoff. I have also received to offers from Championship League clubs, which I will detail as I am having trouble deciding what to do next.

13 May 2017

From the News Ticker...

I have just been approached by two different Championship level sides, Leicester City and Southampton. Here is what I know...

Leicester City

leicester.jpg

Standings - Finished 8th Overall

Stadium - 32 312 all-seater with average corporate facilities, good training facilities, and average youth facilities.

Loan Debt - $27M (finances listed as Okay)

Southampton

southamptonh.jpg

Standings - Finished 14th Overall

Stadium - 32 689 all-seater with top corporate facilities, top training facilities, and excellent youth facilities.

Loan Debt - $32.5M (finances listed as Okay)

I am thinking about moving to one of these two clubs. Dag & Red is good, but will struggle without a new and larger stadium and I fully believe the Board have shot themselves in the foot by only expanding to an all-seater, but with no additional seats. They will only have a 6 077 all-seater stadium after the construction is completed, no where near what these other two have. In addition, both of these stadium as listed as good condition as compared to Dag & Red's very poor stadium.

I have also been attached to jobs in Belgium's Jupiter Pro League, Scotland's Clydesdale Bank Premier League, North America's MLS, and Argentina's Premiera Division.

I also have the option of declaring interest in the Vancouver job again. Or, I could just forget all of this and sign another year with The Daggers and hope for a financial miracle :)

Any ideas?

I'd definitely go, as to where, I'd just about go for Southampton. Trying to calculate the wage bill for Leicester and it seems incredibly high for the Championship, so whatever money you have will be gone so fast if you don't go up soon (Losing 1M a month when I was at West Brom with a bill that was similar and probably lower), whereas you'll be able to invest more at Southampton.

I'd definitely go, as to where, I'd just about go for Southampton. Trying to calculate the wage bill for Leicester and it seems incredibly high for the Championship, so whatever money you have will be gone so fast if you don't go up soon (Losing 1M a month when I was at West Brom with a bill that was similar and probably lower), whereas you'll be able to invest more at Southampton.
I'd either stay or go to Soton.

Thanks for the suggestions deltablue and HotChocolate. I think you're right about the Leicester wage bill, although they were just in the Premier League a couple season ago and may have overspent while there. Either way, Southampton seems the better fit.

Go to Southampton, you can stay with my mum until you get settled :D Although, the budgets look better at Leicester, so you'd probably have a better chance of success there.

Well done on the promotion with Dagenham too :thup:

Awww...you're too kind, AK22 :D I just hope she doesn't charge me rent! If not, Southampton it is! ;)

13 May 2017

From the News Ticker...

Consecutive promotions have made manager Cerud a hot commodity. It has been reported that both Leicester City and Southampton have make bids for the hot manager. Interest has also been shown in other parts of Europe, North Ameria, and South America. Cerud is said to be displeased with The Daggers' Board as well as Chairman Dominic Weston over the addition of seating at Victoria Park without adding to their overall capacity. When pressed for comment, Cerud declined.

6e504316e494.jpg

Southampton FC - nPower Football League Championship

I felt that the Southampton offer was the better one to take. They seem to have a better handle on their finances and their stadium and facility levels would rival many in the Premier League. Their debt is odd...they have a gift loan of $34.5M; however, its listed as non-repayable. I guess someone just gave me free money! :) Also, the club already makes good money each season, so looks like that job is taken care of.

I've got just over $1.5M freedom in my current wage budget, so there's definitely some maneuvering possible.

A quick background...

Founded in 1885, Southampton are a professional English club currently playing the nPower Football League Championship. The club play their home games at St. Mary's Stadium and possess top training facilities and excellent youth facilities. The Southampton reserve team play at Staplewood. The club also has good junior coaching and an established youth recruitment network. The club is affectionately known as The Saints and retains a fierce rivalry with Portsmouth.

As a club which enjoyed its best spell of success in the 1970s and their last competition win coming as recently as 2010, The Saints are a club with a growing history. Southampton finished runners-up in the English top division for the only time in 1984, won the FA Cup in 1976 and finished runners-up on three occasions, finished runners-up in the English second tier 1966 and 1978, and finished runners-up in the Carling Cup in 1979.

Southampton is a club which has the stadium already for the Premiership. It would be on the small side, but at least it the club could be competitive. St. Mary's Stadium is a 32 689 all-seater, leaps better than Dag & Red's Victoria Road at 6 077.

640px-StMary%27sStadium-1.jpg

I woulda said Leicester...but good luck with Southampton anyways. :D

Cheers, rancer. Leicester would have been good too, but their insanely high wage budget worried me. They also have lower graded facilities.

Cheers, rancer. Leicester would have been good too, but their insanely high wage budget worried me. They also have lower graded facilities.

It's just if they have such a high wage budget in the Championship, then if they go to the Premier League, the wage budget would even be higher. Nonetheless hope you're successful in your new job and get them back to the Premier League. :thup:

Another good move up the footballing ladder :thup:. Definitely a chance for some good progression at Soton with everything seeming to be in place; financially stable, a good fan catchment area and youth upgrades on the horizon.

Expectations for the season?

Archived