[FM12] Canadian travelling with a oddly checkered ball [journeyman FM12]

cerud

2018 Pre-Season Matches

VancouverWhitecapslogo.jpg

Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Major League Soccer

There is a long pre-season in the MLS, so I decided to take advantage of it and really test out this squad.

United States - Barza - won 6-0

Canada - Toronto FC - lost 0-3

United States - Rochester Rhinos - won 2-0

Canada - FC Edmonton - won 2-1

England - Auston Villa - tied 1-1

United States - San Jose Earthquakes - won 3-2

United States - Carolina Railhawks - won 3-0

Canada - Whitecaps FC Prospects - won 7-0

So, against MLS teams, we were W1 L1 D0. However, the loss to Toronto came right after my top goalkeeper and top starting midfielders pulled up injured in training. The game against San Jose was much better and with a healthy side. I was particularily happy about the tie against Auston Villa, our parent club in the Barclay's Premier League!

We should be ready to go. My first season in the MLS awaits with my real life home team! :)

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
. I'm thinking about writing out a bit of a MLS guide for all as a separate piece. I guess if there is any interest or not :)

I'd love to read that, I quite fancy a spell in the MLS at some stage this year in my save :)

Some nice additions there, good luck for the season ahead :thup:

Cracking read, good luck this season :thup:

Thanks, HotChocolate!

I'd love to read that, I quite fancy a spell in the MLS at some stage this year in my save :)

Some nice additions there, good luck for the season ahead :thup:

There probably will be more interest thanks to this.

Sounds good. I've already started an MLS guide, but it'll take a while to compile as I want to include as much detail in areas as I can. Are there any specific areas of MLS that people don't understand or what explained a little better?

Also, I'm doing the Christmas thing with the in-laws for a few days. Good to all your FM careers!

Cheers,

cerud

2018 Mid-season Update

Overall Standings | Western Conference | Past Positions | Fixtures - It's been an amazing season so far in Canada! Undefeated in the first half of the season. I can't ask for much more. In other news, we've also had a great Nutrilite Canadian Championship, winning the cup against Toronto FC. This has put us into the CONCACAP Champions League, beginning in a little under a month with our first matches against Kulture Yabra SC from Belize.

Transfers - I love having a budget :) It's such a luxury as I rarely ever have received one to use. Lots of change to the roster, but that's MLS.

Players of Note...

Andrey - GK - In the beginning of the season, our philosophy was to score more than the other side, which we did. However, our goals against was 2nd worst in the league. This has greatly changed, in no small part to the work of Andrey. He's really stepped up his game.

Ilsinho - D/WB R, M RC - Ilsinho is a quandry. I doubt he'll be around much longer. He's our only DP contract player, but he wants to leave. I've told him to wait as we will improve and he seemed receptive; however, I don't think we'll be able to keep him.

Jermain Defoe - ST - The old man still has it! Leads the league in goals and assists and is 2nd in average rating. An absolute cannon.

So, with the Vancouver run in the CONCACAF Champions League for the first time in their history, our board has outlined their expectations:

CONCACAF Champions League: Reach the quarter final.

We've also received some good news in the facility upgrades front...

traink.png

juniorhs.png

Also, thought it would be a good idea to do my regular previous club update now as they all play their seasons July to June.

Former Club Watch

Dynamos FC - Were sitting dead last for most of the season. They turned it around in the final few games to finish 11th of 16 and safe from relegation.

FK Spartak MAS Sezimovo Ústí - They don't spent too much time down as they finished 3rd and are promoted back to the top of Czech football.

Preston North End - A great season for Preston in League One finishing in 5th and a playoff spot. No promotion this year though.

Dagenham & Redbridge - Finished 23rd and are relegated back to League One.

Southampton FC - Southampton finished were I left off, plaing 3rd and getting promoted to the Premier League.

2018 FIFA World Cup

291px-Russia2018bidlogo.svg.png

Group A: Russia, Turkey, Morocco, Ecuador

Group B: Canada, South Africa, Italy, Belgium

Group C: Brazil, Germany, United States, Saudi Arabia

Group D: Portugal, Serbia, Japan, Togo

Group E: Argentina, England, Mexico, Uzbekistan

Group F: Croatia, Chile, Ghana, Norway

Group G: Spain, Uruguay, Ukraine, South Korea

Group H: France, Cameroon, Honduras, Austria

2nd Round

South Africa 1 - 3 Russia

Canada 2p - 2 Turkey

Serbia 0 - 1e Brazil

Portugal 3 - 0 Germany

Chile 2 - 1 Argentina

England 1 - 3e Croatia

Cameroon 0 - 2 Spain

France 3 - 1 Uruguay

Quarter Finals

Russia 1 - 2 Portugal

Canada 0 - 3 Brazil

Chile 1 - 0 France

Croatia 0 - 0p Spain

Semi Finals

Portugal 0 - 1 Spain

Brazil 1 - 0 Chile

3rd Place Playoff

Chile 2p - 2 Portugal

Final

Spain 2 - 1 Brazil

We've had a few national managers leave their posts, including Italy, United States, Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Norway, England, France, Germany, Belgium, Turkey, Morocco, Uruguay, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and South Korea.

In other news, Daniel DaSilva got the 1st Place FIFA World Cup Goal of the Tournament and Junior Hoilett was named to the Top XI of the FIFA World Cup Dream team! Canada's coming up! :)

2018 CONCACAF Champions League

imagesCAMXT0NL.jpg

Preliminary Round - Won 8 - 0 on Aggregate

200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.pngbrand.gif

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 4 - 0 Kulture Yabra SC

The Belize side never had a chance. They didn't even get a single shot in this home match for us. We took a commanding lead back to Belize for the second match.

Kulture Yabra did slightly better; they got two shots.

2018-2019 CONCACAF Champions League

imagesCAMXT0NL.jpg

Group Stage

Now that the preliminary rounds have finished, the groups have been drawn.

Group A

• CSD Comunicaciones - Guatemala
  • Puerto Rico Islanders FC - Puerto Rico
  • CD Santos Laguna - Mexico
  • Tauro FC - Panama

Group B

• CD Guatelajara - Mexico
  • CD Motagua - Honduras
  • Club Deportivo Saprissa - Costa Rica
  • Seattle Sounders FC - United States

Group C

• Liga Deportiva Alajuelense - Costa Rica
  • CD Marathón - Honduras
  • CF Monterrey - Mexico
  • Philadelphia Union - United States

Group D

• Los Angeles Galaxy - United States
  • CSD Municipal - Guatemala
  • Pumas de la UNAM - Mexico
  • Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Canada

The Galaxy is the only team I know in my group. In league play, we beat them 5-1, so hopefully we can carry that into Champions League play.

Group Stages

unam2.png200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Pumas de la UNAM 4 - 2 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

I don't have a problem losing to a better team when we play well. I have a huge problem losing to a better team when we fail to show up until the 2nd half. This was a game we should have had. Even though Pumas is better on paper, it was a let down to lose. Now a good way to start the group stages.

I have a very tired squad right now, so I'm happy to take the win as it comes.

Great job on managing my hometown team (Whitecaps)! I love that you got Defoe on your team now - how old is he in game now?

Cheers, dkpark51! It's my hometown team as well. Defoe is 35 years old, but still leading the league across the board.

A win and a loss in the CONCACAF...not too bad but as you say, this is where fatigue plays a part. How big is your squad?

Cheers, Raware. My squad has 24 players, but many are young. I'll need to rely on them a bit though as my older players are becoming a little jaded and need a rest.

All going well so far, by the look of things. Going to need a couple of decent results against LA Galaxy if you're going to go through in the Champions League though :)

Thanks, AK22. I've beaten the Galaxy handidly before. Hopefully, it continues.

Cerud maybe I should borrow your players for the World Cup! :o

Doing well in the Regular Season and alright in the CCL. Hopefully Pumas somehow slips against the other two teams and you can capitalize later on in the Group Stages.

I got a couple of my young players on the Canadian squad. It was nice to see Canada progress so far and to actually have a player on the Dream Team!

Doing very well so far even if the teams are the biggest pain in the CONCACAF Champions League,hope Pumas slip up to make things a bit easier for you :D

Cheers, BWG. The Champions League will be difficult, but I think I should at least get the 2nd spot in my group behind Pumas.

Group Stages

200px-Los_Angeles_Galaxy_logo.svg.png200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

Los Angeles Galaxy 2 - 2 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Lucky to tie this in the 85th minute. The game was fairly even, but I was hoping for the win.

A massive win! The boys responded brilliantly in front of a home crowd to give Pumas their first loss in the Champions League. Hopfully, this was the win we needed to move us past the group stages.

Group Stages

rojos.png200px-Vancouver_Whitecaps_FC_logo.svg.png

CSD Municipal 1 - 1 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

We were the dominant side throughout the match; however, Municipal was able to score their much needed goal in the final 10 minutes. This puts us in second on our group, a single point above the Los Angeles Galaxy, who just so happens to be our next opponents. Must win.

From beginning to end, this was our game! We played brilliantly; however, this was helped by getting our final 3 players who were injured back to playing readiness. Now having a full and fit squad, we're moving onto the quarter finals.

2018 Season in Review

mlslogo.png

1st Place - MLS Cup League Champions

Overall Standings | Western Conference Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - We took the lead right from the beginning of the season and never looked back. We even qualified for the MLS Cup playoffs with 11 matches still to go! An unbelievable season. The only way we could have done better would have been to go undefeated, which we almost did.

The Playoffs...

Western Conference Semi-Finals First Leg - We met Real Salt Lake for the Conference Semis. Away at Salt Lake, we dominated the match, commanding a 3 goal lead heading back home.

Western Conference Semi-Finals Second Leg - Real Salt Lake battled back in this match, but to no avail. It would have been difficult for them to get back into the playoffs after that first match anyways.

Western Conference Final - Next up, Los Angeles. The Galazy have been a difficulty all season and I knew this could have the potential to be an upset for us. No worries; just when they tried to get in the game, we put them away 5 minutes later.

MLS Cup - Columbus was the first team to beat us in league play. They should have won this game. They dominated us in the 90 minutes of regular time. We finally came alive in the extra time, scoring 3 in 13 minutes. But a win is a win, and this win was ours!

The Cups...

Nutrilitecc.jpg

Nutrilite Canadian Championship - Dealt with Montreal easily first, and took care of business with Toronto FC. Winning made us the Canadian qualifying team for the CONCACAF Champions League.

CONCACAF Champions League - We've qualified from our group with Pumas. The draw for the quarter finals will be in February 2919.

Transfers - I ended up getting rid of both DP contracts that existed beforehand and brought in a new one.

Players of Note - Too many to choose from, but here's a few notable...

Andrey - GK - Averaged just over a goal a game conceded, a great record. MLS Goalkeeper of the Year. However, he's showing concerns about wanting to move to a larger club. He hasn't said anything yet, so hopefully our play and achievements will quell any desires.

Mohammed Danso - D C - I drafted Danso in the 1st Round at 13th overall. Wow, did he deliver! MLS Defender of the Year and an absolute beast on attacking corners.

Jiloan Hamad - M/AM RL - Hamad hasn't played as many games as he came in as my new DP contract in July. However, he's already established himself here and should be a great player for years to come. Love that he can play on both wings too.

Jermain Defoe - ST - Defoe...the old man can score...and assist...and...well...do just about everything else.

Finances - A good year financially. Almost $5M in the bank.

Facilities - Have an upgrade to my training facilities happen in the off-season.

Awards

Fans' Player of the Year - Jermain Defoe

Next Year...

I still have the CONCACAF Champions League to finish, so that's the next priority. I also have to get ready for the draft. There's been a lot of interest for my services, from other MLS Clubs, English Championship League teams, and top clubs in Belgium and the Czech Republic. However, not looking to go yet, at least for another season. Might try to actually have consecutive seasons in one spot!

Good work cerud with winning the MLS Cup. Now Vancouver can riot over a win for once. ;)

And surely I take a little credit with the Hamad signing? :D I think he can just do it all and will be very valuable to you and the Whitecaps.

Ugh...the riots...I had a front row seat for that from my downtown apartment. Couldn't even open the window due to the pepperspray and smoke.

Danso was superb, but how about Defoe? 28 Goals and 21 assists! Oh my!

Danso was great, especially for his first season right out of the draft, but Defoe? Perfect for the old man! :)

A very good season although I would be a bit worried with this

Quite a long wait for the quarter final draw :D

Yeah...we'll go on break and then return in early January. So I expect some time at least to get the squad back to playing speed.

Great season cerud! :):thup:
Well, that was worth going home for! Great season.

Great year for Defoe aswell, certainly in the twilight of his career.

An excellent season there, plenty to celebrate :thup:

Funny to see Defoe causing havoc in the MLS too!

Thanks, HotChocolate, City2000, and AK22. Defoe is my boy! ANd he's not even a DP contract, just a regular senior one :)

A storming season - great job. Plan to stick around or getting itchy feet?

Well...not yet. I want to finish the Champions League and see how far I can push the Whitecaps. Probably another season and then I'll look elsewhere.

Cracking season cerud, good luck in the Champions League :thup:

Thanks, roganp!

10 December 2018

From the News Ticker...

Starting to get interest from a new larger leagues now, including the Russian SOGAZ Prem'er Liga, Belgium's Jupiter Pro League, Netherlands' Eredivisie (it was FC Twente...surprising!), the Brazilian and Argentinian top leagues, and now...this in Italy's Serie A TIM.

offer.png

I still want to stay with Vancouver till at least the summer just so see how we do in the CONCACAF Champions League, but at least I have prospects :)

12 December 2018

In Other News...

The draw for the Quarter Finals of the CONCACAF Champions League just occured with matches beginning in late February 2019. We have drawn CF Monterrey from Mexico's Premiera Divisíon.

A great season cerud :thup:. See...it was a good decision to take the Vancouver job! :D Nice to see interest from some bigger clubs too :thup:. Could be a tricky game against the Mexicans.

Thanks, Raware! Yeah, Monterrey is the top reputed team in North America right now...should be interesting.

31 December 2018

From the News Ticker...

Just go some other news. The United States just picked their top Young Player of the Year.

Awards

Also, on the same day, just got this offer. They're in the nPower Championship League right now.

offerr.png

I've already managed in the Championship League, so not looking to so back, unless I get an offer from a Premier level side.

2019 Pre-season

Major League Soccer: Reach the Final of the MLS Cup

Nutrilite Canadian Championship: Not regarded as important

Salary Cap: $3 874 125

Allocation Funds: None

Wages Currently Spent: $8 110 503

Wages Currently Spent after Considerations: $3 267 347

Main Kit Sponsorship: $3 807 786

Additional Kit Sponsorship: $573 000

2019 SuperDraft and Supplemental Draft

We didn't have as many draft picks this time around in the SuperDraft and, given that we won the MLS Cup, our pick was last. I was able to trade for one higher pick, giving us two in the 1st Round, which gave us a few options.

MLS SuperDraft

1st Round

7th Pick - Fred Tetteh - AM C, ST - Generation Adidas contract

18th Pick - Martín De la Rosa - M C - Generation Adidas contract

2nd Round

20th Pick - Jay Robbie - AM L, ST - Developmental contract

30th Pick - José Bello - D C, ST - Developmental contract

3rd Round

43rd Pick - Paul Hurd - D L - Developmental contract

54th Pick - Bezerra - D RC, WB R - Developmental contract

The ratings for the MLS SuperDraft were as follows:

Philadelphia - A

Los Angeles - A-

Houston - B

CD Chivas USA - B

New England - B-

Columbus - B-

Seattle - B-

FC Dallas - B-

Sporting Kansas City - C+

Toronto FC - C+

Real Salt Lake - C+

Portland - C+

San Jose - C+

Vancouver - C+

DC United - C+

Chicago - C

New York - C

Colorado - E

MLS Supplemental Draft

1st Round

18th Pick - Jamie Roberts - DM, M/AM RC - Developmental contract

2nd Round

33rd Pick - Rodrigo Íñiguez - D C, DM, M C - Developmental contract

35th Pick - Bryan Pattison - M C, ST - Developmental contract

3rd Round

42nd Pick - Spencer Beattie - D R - Developmental contract

54th Pick - Tyler Branan - M L - Developmental contract

It wasn't the best draft for us this year, but that was to be expected. However, our top two, possibly three pick may get to see some playing time this year. All other drafts will be unlikely to make the team and will probably be released on waivers before the season starts.

I wouldve said no to Newcastle aswell, maybe a prmier league club will come begging for your services some time :)

Cheers, iHeadHunta :) No Premier League sides yet, but I have seen my name attached to clubs in the top leagues of Italy, Spain, France, and Russia lately.

Also...

3 February 2019

From the News Ticker...

My first international offer!

nigeriak.png

They're ranked 16th in the FIFA Rankings, but just had a disappointing exit in the Group stages of the African Cup of Nation. Might be time to try my hand at international management ;)

Archived