Tone

How do you feel about tones?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about tones?

• Tones are pointless!
    • Tones are a great!
    • Tones are over complicated, micro management!

a poll would be nice for this topic :)

(1/ tones are useless 2/ tones, ok but make them a bit more simple 3/ i love tones the way they are)

Good idea, although, I've never made a poll before so I hope it's okay.

I have faith (assertive) & Keep it up (passionate) at half time. If we're losing it's "I want to see more" (passionate)

Are you basically saying that you use only a 10% of available choices ?

If so, I agree, that's the first problem among tones and talks.

The second one is that they fall into a non logic field. I mean, if the only way to " green up " your team before a big match is inducing them to get relaxed, well, it is easy to understand why the whole concept has to be rewritten or at least dramatically revamped from scratch.

You guys are missing the point with that team talk, i would be very very wary of using it, it has helped towards a good couple of defeats for me, espeically against better motivated lower league sides. Relaxing your players may seem like a positive reaction, but only if relaxing your players is the best way forward for that game. Relaxing your players could be a huge disadvantage depending on the situation.

Just because you do not see an instant green reaction from your players does not mean your talk has had no effect, infact i would go as far to say that a reaction pre-match is not very important at all, not unless you are really struggling to win games. A team in good form does not need a huge kick up the backside each game to go out and win so you do not need a team full of green reactions every game. Changing things around at half time if going badly or making sure your team stays ontop of the game are far more important and as such your more likely to get a reaction during these situations.

Also remember a team in form will not need much encouragement, so the likelyhood is you could use the same 3/4 team talks over and over, your players are already motivated and in confidence, there isnt much you can say to affect this either for the good or the bad.

P.S the poll is terrible, its very biased and is looking for an answer that will agree with the OP.

Tones are not a promising start, but a good continuation of the before hopeless teamtalk. Not sure what to vote; i don't like teamtalk but i love how the tones has changed teamtalk from being stupid and repetitive to something a bit less stupid and repetitive...

So no vote from me :-)

I should have added "it's just crap to the poll".

A player plays really badly in the last game so I want to have a private chat with him and tell him he just wasn't good enough but I can't. Why not?

All I can say to him is -

A) You were superb with quality of chances created in last match, keep it up (He was abysmal so why is this option here?)

B) Your passing was a joy to behold (again, He was crap!! why is the option here?)

C) You need to be more creative to stay in the team (I just want to tell him to improve on his last performance, not micro manage how many through balls he played, and passes he missplaced by watching the entire bloody game to see, as it's the only way to do it properly because match stats just don't give you the correct information to be as thorough as this team talk is asking you to be to get it right)

D) Passing in the game was not good enough, you squandered possesions blah blah blah, improve to stay in the first team. ( I don't give a toss about his passing, I just want to tell him to improve on his over all performance! where is this option?)

The game want's me to micro manage, yet there aren't nearly enough options for me to choose from to do this. This utter mess of a system just doesn't know what it wants to be. Just Keep it simple or don't.

I used to talk to players, individually, about performance all the time but I wont be touching this mess ever again. It's so poorly implemented.

I find them pointless tbh. It's just another tool aimed at making the game easier for beginners and new comers.

That's an unintended effect. SI have recognised that it is too easy to get and keep high/superb morale at the moment. They're fixing it for a forthcoming update. After that, team talks should be more challenging.

Using tones is a brilliant addition because it allows you to put your statements into some sort of context. E.g. if someone is playing without confidence and having a poor game, you can still say you're disappointed but in a calm manner, so as not to anger him and force him to play worse in the second half

That's an unintended effect. SI have recognised that it is too easy to get and keep high/superb morale at the moment. They're fixing it for a forthcoming update. After that, team talks should be more challenging.

Should just take them out. They're far less annoying in this version because you can't ruin your entire season with one team talk.

Just take it out, it's always been a fairly pointless feature that only detracts from gameplay.

Second season and I'm still using only the individual Assertive 2nd option. Now I have to search and click 4 times, where before it was 1 time. And you can't ask your assman to handle it, because he is utterly ineffective with the initial talk AND disables the consecutive individual talks.

So I'm wasting my time clicking around the same exact thing with the same positive result. Pointless gimmick.

Gotta agree with some of the above, I welcomed it at first but after realizing I only use about one and a half of the shouts the verdict has to say a fairly pointless gimmick. The idea is obviously good but perhaps there needs to be a greater variety of results and approaches to justify some 20 possibilities...

As I say, it's currently pointless partly due to a fault that PaulC has acknowledged and is trying to fix.

So the issue is, will it still be 'pointless' after the fix.

I think that depends on the fix. If it is simply to make high morale less easy to achieve and less long-lasting, i don't think that will be a huge improvement to team-talks.

For the team-talks to be more effective, they need to be more geared to different personality types so that there is more variety or responses; not in an arbitrary way but in ways that if the manager pays attention, can work out the right thing to say to each player in a given situation. That would require the manager to pay attention - or 'micro-manage', which some don't want, but that's my view of how it would work effectively.

I doubt SI will be able to achieve that in a fix/update/patch however, so I'm not holding my breath until next year.

I think that depends on the fix. If it is simply to make high morale less easy to achieve and less long-lasting, i don't think that will be a huge improvement to team-talks.

That is true mate.

If SI did only that, well, the situation will be pretty much the same.

SI does not want to make big balance changes otherwise they would wipe out all the job done in last months. I can somehow understand that.

None the less, they have to tweak the game in a decent way to avoid to loose too many customers along the road but I fear they will do only cosmetic tweaks regarding tones, and that's the scary scenario I agree.

I think that depends on the fix. If it is simply to make high morale less easy to achieve and less long-lasting,

To be honest from reading what he has said on the subject i would think that is the only thing he will really look at changing, that and the initial effectiveness of team talks depending on reputation, i dont think there will be any overhaul of the team talk system. I could be wrong obviously but thats how i have read it.

To be honest from reading what he has said on the subject i would think that is the only thing he will really look at changing, that and the initial effectiveness of team talks depending on reputation, i dont think there will be any overhaul of the team talk system. I could be wrong obviously but thats how i have read it.

You are right, that's why FM12 future seems to be obscurated by a never ending eclipse.

Archived