Off Topic Thread: Hey lurkers, post ffs!!

Purefun

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRL88

• tomtuck01

• Cleon

• Nottingham Forest

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but would your mrs and the kids? I'm sure the kids wouldn't mind and depending on their age it shouldn't be too much of a disruption.

I've lived abroad for a number of years due to my dad being in the army. I loved that but I prefer being close to family. Although if the opportunity presents itself to move abroad then I'd consider it.

It is all ifs and buts at the minute, but the job in Dubai was £35k a year, a car & house included, and you have to pay for your children's school fees over there and they would supply you with up to two children's fees at the school you worked.

If the mrs wants to be with me then she would have no choice, and if she comes, then the kids would have to. It is that simple.

If you're not taking the **** and that is actually your attitude, then it sounds like she'd be better off without you.

If the mrs wants to be with me then she would have no choice, and if she comes, then the kids would have to. It is that simple.

You can't be been serious? Because by this logic if you wanted to be with her you'd stay here :D

If you're not taking the **** and that is actually your attitud, then it sounds like she'd be better off without you.

We've spoke about moving from the north east numerous times and we've agreed that if I was to apply for a job where ever in the world that it would be to better ourselves. I wouldn't leave here for a nothing job and we both agree on that. If it came down to it then it and she decided she didn't want to go then it would be solely her decision.

You can't be been serious? Because by this logic if you wanted to be with her you'd stay here :D

Already stated now, but there aren't really any jobs up here in what I am training to be, so I would have to move away if I wanted to make a career out of it.

We've spoke about moving from the north east numerous times and we've agreed that if I was to apply for a job where ever in the world that it would be to better ourselves. I wouldn't leave here for a nothing job and we both agree on that. If it came down to it then it and she decided she didn't want to go then it would be solely her decision.

So heartless :(

So heartless :(

It isn't heartless though. I'm on an average pay at the moment and I have spent 2 years training in a profession to better myself and make a career out of it. I can't sit here and wait for 2-3 years until something pops up when I can look from Leeds south and find 200+ jobs in the same field.

It isn't heartless though. I'm on an average pay at the moment and I have spent 2 years training in a profession to better myself and make a career out of it. I can't sit here and wait for 2-3 years until something pops up when I can look from Leeds south and find 200+ jobs in the same field.

It was the more the fact of moving abroad and having the 'like it or lump it' attitude.

It was the more the fact of moving abroad and having the 'like it or lump it' attitude.

At the end of the day it would be her decision though. We've talked about it like I said and she has said she would love to live abroad, but if she decided when it came to it that she didn't want to then there isn't really much I could do.

At the end of the day it would be her decision though. We've talked about it like I said and she has said she would love to live abroad, but if she decided when it came to it that she didn't want to then there isn't really much I could do.

Wouldn't really be her decision though would it? Shes either gotta go or lose you. It's kinda forced in a way and she has no real choice.

It's not easy moving away from everyone to be somewhere the other half wants to be and you only go because you want to be with that person. I should know, I've done it for the past year, its ****ing horrible.

Wouldn't really be her decision though would it? Shes either gotta go or lose you. It's kinda forced in a way and she has no real choice.

It's not easy moving away from everyone to be somewhere the other half wants to be and you only go because you want to be with that person. I should know, I've done it for the past year, its ****ing horrible.

Ahh, now you see, I am doing it currently. She has lived in a certain part of Durham her entire life and I live there now. I hate the side of Durham we live at as it is a bit of a dump really. I prefer the side of Durham I come from but moved to the other side for her benefit. That is the way it has been for nearly 2 years now so to move in order to better ourselves is a major positive.

Purefun is that you?

PureSRL :brock:.

I'd love to live abroad to be honest. In the last week I have applied for teaching jobs in Dubai, Madrid & Paris :cool:.

A friend of mine moved to Dubai a couple of years ago to teach. Loves it out there. My brother also moved to France to work, although I think he is having a harder time dealing with being away than my friend.

I couldn't do it, personally. I'm too set in my ways and have too much I'm committed to here. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it though.

Ahh, now you see, I am doing it currently. She has lived in a certain part of Durham her entire life and I live there now. I hate the side of Durham we live at as it is a bit of a dump really. I prefer the side of Durham I come from but moved to the other side for her benefit. That is the way it has been for nearly 2 years now so to move in order to better ourselves is a major positive.

PureSRL :brock:.

Not really the same though is it because you still live in the same area(give or take the odd mile). It's not like you've moved 200 miles away etc. At the minute you can still see all your family/friends the same as before whenever you want. It's a lot different when you'd only see them every other month etc :(

A friend of mine moved to Dubai a couple of years ago to teach. Loves it out there. My brother also moved to France to work, although I think he is having a harder time dealing with being away than my friend.

Has your friend suffered from the economy crash over in Dubai?

Not really the same though is it because you still live in the same area(give or take the odd mile). It's not like you've moved 200 miles away etc. At the minute you can still see all your family/friends the same as before whenever you want. It's a lot different when you'd only see them every other month etc :

It isn't as though it is going to be just her though, it would be a massive change for me too. As I have said many times in the last few posts, it wouldn't be moving for the sake of moving, it would be moving to make a better life.

It isn't as though it is going to be just her though, it would be a massive change for me too. As I have said many times in the last few posts, it wouldn't be moving for the sake of moving, it would be moving to make a better life.

Better for you because its your dream or what you want to do. More money/better job doesn't equal a better life either imo.

Better for you because its your dream or what you want to do. More money/better job doesn't equal a better life either imo.

Well I won't be sticking around in the north east for much longer if I get offered a job.

It's no wonder men get so much grief when there are chaps like SRL around. Clearly just doesn't care all that much about about his other half.

You don't know how I feel about her so that isn't really a valid comment.

Dubai was great to visit (been 3 times) but there are far too many rules etc over there for me to even consider living there.

Am I right in thinking that you can't hold hands in public?

Am I right in thinking that you can't hold hands in public?

Aye, no kissing either unless you are married. Believe it or not the police do stop you if they see this happening and ask you to produce documents to prove you are married.

Some hotels you can't stay in the same room or be alone with your partner if you aren't married. You also can't have sex unless you are married.

You can't drink anywhere other than licensed premises.

If a cheque bounces you get sent to prison.

You can't dance in the street.

If you wear t-shirts with slogans on etc make sure there not offensive even slightly or you'll be refused entry to most places.

There just the basic ones you get drilled into you before you go out there.

Dubai was great to visit (been 3 times) but there are far too many rules etc over there for me to even consider living there.

I was over there a couple of years ago on my way to China and found it very intimidating. Always wondering if I was within the law. I always understood they were more lenient with westerners though?

I was over there a couple of years ago on my way to China and found it very intimidating. Always wondering if I was within the law. I always understood they were more lenient with westerners though?

There not, the tourist board have you thinking they are though. Some of the rules are just stupid and because you are a holidaymaker/expat you revoke all rights and if it comes to it, they'd believe a resident over you every single time.

Weird rules when it comes to women though, you can't stare at them, take their picture (even if you take a pic of a building and she walks into the pic, you need her permission) or they can have you put in prison.

I used to go out with a Singaporean girl, they have some weird stuff going on over there too:

Can't buy chewing gum

It's illegal to take a leak in a lift - who would do that anyway?!

You're not allowed to be caught naked at your own home unless it's in your bathroom!

Cleon - gutted about the Chalkboard Diaries potentially drying up....

You don't know how I feel about her so that isn't really a valid comment.

You don't exactly give off the impression of a loving partner, more of a domineering "i'll do what i want and if you don't like it you can sod off" kind of chap.

You don't exactly give off the impression of a loving partner, more of a domineering "i'll do what i want and if you don't like it you can sod off" kind of chap.

Hardly. Especially all the stuff I do for her which I have said on here.

I kinda feel for SRL on this one. I met my wife during college in Michigan. It was understood before we started the relationship that I was moving back to Alaska after college and that being with me meant moving 3,000 miles away from her family after college. It was her choice to be with me because she knew what my plans and goals were after college.

I kinda feel for SRL on this one. I met my wife during college in Michigan. It was understood before we started the relationship that I was moving back to Alaska after college and that being with me meant moving 3,000 miles away from her family after college. It was her choice to be with me because she knew what my plans and goals were after college.

I agree. I'm not being an arse by practically giving her an ultimatum, but I have said when I started my PGCE that I would move where the jobs are and there is nothing anywhere near where I live.

Is Dubai potentially a bit far to chase a few quid?

You just need to head a bit further South in the UK to earn a bit more, but it would be offset by the cost of living going up.

Any idea what the cost of living is in Dubai?

Having a house, car and schooling paid for is great, but not so if a loaf of bread costs a tenner.

It's astonishing. £40,000-per-day. Puts my day rate to shame...

I don't get out of bed for less than £40,000 a day :cool:...

Which usually means I don't get out of bed :(

I find it amazing that people are questioning SRL's commitment to his other half all because he wants to better his life.

That wasn't the issue though was it? It was the way in which he spoke about the other half and making out he wasn't bothered about her in his initial post. It came across as cold and calous (which later he explained). It's got nothing to do with him wanting to better his life. If that's something he is trying to do then good luck to him and we wish him all the best.

I have done the opposite to what SRL has proposed. i actually moved to Australia as my wife (girlfriend/partner at the time) wanted to move back to Ausatralia after living in UK for 3 years with me and would have went without me probably. I have to admit it was the best move i ever made. Life is a whole lot better than what i could have expected in the UK. I have a good job, a house of our own and some great friends through the experience. Things i would never have been able to achieve if i was in th UK, bar the friends part.

I think that SRL's initial comment wasn't the best thought out. But he has explained that he has discussed it with his wife ( dont know if she is wife/partner) and she has agreed with him. surely that should have been the end of the taunting ( as i fell it has gor a bit too personal).

I have done the opposite to what SRL has proposed. i actually moved to Australia as my wife (girlfriend/partner at the time) wanted to move back to Ausatralia after living in UK for 3 years with me and would have went without me probably. I have to admit it was the best move i ever made. Life is a whole lot better than what i could have expected in the UK. I have a good job, a house of our own and some great friends through the experience. Things i would never have been able to achieve if i was in th UK, bar the friends part.

I think that SRL's initial comment wasn't the best thought out. But he has explained that he has discussed it with his wife ( dont know if she is wife/partner) and she has agreed with him. surely that should have been the end of the taunting ( as i fell it has gor a bit too personal).

How come you feel you couldn't achieve a good job or your own home in the UK? Surely you could have had a good job and a home here. It might have required relocating but you did that anyway. Unless you are trained at something very specific that isn't needed over here.

How come you feel you couldn't achieve a good job or your own home in the UK? Surely you could have had a good job and a home here. It might have required relocating but you did that anyway. Unless you are trained at something very specific that isn't needed over here.

It wasn't so much that i felt i couldn't achieve a good job over there. It was more that the women i loved was moving back to Australia and i had to make a desicion. A) do i stay in the UK and leave the girl i love or B) do i move to the other side of the world and keep the girl i love. I chose the later.

I am not trained at anything specific, worked as a chef for quite a while but got bored with it. I am just a contracts admin officer in a gov dept. I guess i could have done the same in the UK but it feels easier to get work over here than in the UK.

I guess my main point was that it is a much better quality of life that i experience over here rather than when i was in Scotland. Sport, of any kind really, is affordable. House prices and wages, at least for me and my wife seem reasonable (we did get in before the GFC though and got a relatively good price for the house). I guess what i am saying is that i just think the quality of life over here is better than what i would have in the UK, just my opinion though ( and i have had a few wines so i may be a touch tipsy).