Off Topic Thread: Hey lurkers, post ffs!!

Purefun

Don't get me wrong, I think Martinez is a really good manager, but I think he needs that step up before I could say that he is right up there.

I think you have to look at David Moyes and the job he has done over the last 10 years on the budget he has had. He has a very thin squad and has always kept Everton being competitive, season in, season out.

I really like Michael Laudrup as well. I genuinly think he is an excellent, excellent manager. Swansea were good last season under Rodgers but weren't brilliant in front of goal. This season, Laudrup has kept them playing very similar football, but has made them even more of a threat going forward.

I think AVB is doing a good job as well at Spurs and is only going to get better. I think he tried to do the right thing at Chelsea, but probably tried a bit to hard and got forced out. He seems to have things clicking at Spurs, despite the recent slump.

Just my opinion obviously :).

Good calls, especially the Laudrup one.

I was just interested to see who and why :)

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRL88

• tomtuck01

• Cleon

• Nottingham Forest

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the same as Liverpool saying that it doesn't matter that they've spent £280m on their squad as their net spend is low. You still have a near £300m squad of average players.

It's not the same at all and you know its not.

Granted Wigan have had to sell a lot of their star players (Palacios, Valencia, N'Zogbia and Moses to name a few), but they're not the only club to sell their big players. I just think it's too convenient to blame a tight budget when other clubs have been doing the same and have not ended up a place or two off the relegation zone every year.

Which bottom half club have lost their star player every season for the last 5 seasons? I can't think of anyone who has lost anywhere near the amount Wigan have.

Also who are these other teams on a tight budget who have a similar squad of players who don't fight for relegation?

For a start I think Mancini is a better tactician than Martinez. So no, it's not just the money.

That's fair enough.

I do have 1 question though, why do you think he is the better tactician? He doesn't have a plan b and struggles to change a game into his favour so I'm very interested in seeing your reasons.

I'm not saying you are wrong as opinion is all subjective anyway. I just like finding out peoples reasons :)

Any news on who is going to be your new gaffa?
Chris Morgan's been given the job until the end of the season hasn't he? Personally can see him being given it on a permanent basis if he takes them up automatically.

Morgan if we go up as he was club captain before retiring through injury. He got us playing well in his first game and the players seemed more free and could actually play without being over cautious. Something that couldn't be done with Wilson in charge, he played games to 'not lose them' rather than trying to win them.

If we don't go up it'll be between Morgan, Stuart McCall and Andy Parkinson though.

I'm sure he has. This article kind of proves it.

He was given it until end of season because that is best for the club and means they'll be able to find a manager who needs to help us survive or get promoted. It would also impact the contract length.

It's not the same at all and you know its not.

I know I was being facetious.

Which bottom half club have lost their star player every season for the last 5 seasons? I can't think of anyone who has lost anywhere near the amount Wigan have.

Villa?

- Cahill 07/08

- Barry 09/10

- Milner 10/11

- Young and Downing 11/12

- Heskey 12/13

Also who are these other teams on a tight budget who have a similar squad of players who don't fight for relegation?

Not similar as he has bought better, but Everton (recouped £75m), Swansea (recouped £30m) and Fulham (recouped £40m) have net positive, or close to, spending each season over the last 5 years. Just their managers have spent better with the money from player sales.

Looking over 5 years:

Fulham spent £42m / recouped £40m

Swansea spent £30m / recouped £30m

Everton spent £63m / recouped £75m

Wigan spent £47m / recouped £60m

Look at the players Swansea have signed for less. Michu was a bargain that Chico-Flores or what ever his name is. They've spent very well and are in no danger of relegation.

I do have 1 question though, why do you think he is the better tactician? He doesn't have a plan b and struggles to change a game into his favour so I'm very interested in seeing your reasons.

I'm not saying you are wrong as opinion is all subjective anyway. I just like finding out peoples reasons :)

I'm interested you think he doesn't have a plan b, considering last year City secured 16 points from losing positions on their way to winning the title, most notably the couple against QPR. Although admittedly that plan b was to bring on every striker you have and throw the ball forward.

Plus, he is generally regarded as a one of the most highly thought of coaches to leave Coverciano. What he achieved at Fiorentina when he did was a fantastic. PLus the leagues at Inter. I know he is slated for his 3 at the back experiments, but there's no denying he's a good tactician. A poor man manager, but a great tactician.

As you say, this is subjective :)

Swansea were helped that their manager was fairly well known inside of Spain.

Villa have only sold the players because their chairman has stopped funding them as much. As Stan C put it on Twitter, they've tried going from spending quite a bit in wages and transfers to not alot. They haven't had any in between.

Cahill wasn't a star player for Villa. He was third/fourth choice behind others and was loaned out that season to Bolton before moving there permanently. Barry threw his toys out the pram, much like Milner did so you can't really use that. Downing and Young went because Villa had to cut their spending. Heskey :D.

Villa?

- Cahill 07/08

- Barry 09/10

- Milner 10/11

- Young and Downing 11/12

- Heskey 12/13

Villa are a bigger club that Wigan but I'll humor you.

With the exception of Young and Milner the rest where good players but where not the best players at Villa.

Not similar as he has bought better, but Everton (recouped £75m), Swansea (recouped £30m) and Fulham (recouped £40m) have net positive, or close to, spending each season over the last 5 years. Just their managers have spent better with the money from player sales.

Looking over 5 years:

Fulham spent £42m / recouped £40m

Swansea spent £30m / recouped £30m

Everton spent £63m / recouped £75m

Wigan spent £47m / recouped £60m

Managers have nothing to do with transfer fees, so your argument means nothing though? Not sure how this proves Martinez is good or poor.

I like how you looked at numbers though and assume it was all money well spent. I'm pretty sure all those sides spent quite a bit of money on duff signings.

I'm interested you think he doesn't have a plan b, considering last year City secured 16 points from losing positions on their way to winning the title, most notably the couple against QPR. Although admittedly that plan b was to bring on every striker you have and throw the ball forward.

He doesn't have a plan b and is tactically inept. He has showed this all season in the league and especially in the Champs League. Last season he had the best strike force in England and could rely on them. This season they are misfiring and he's struggling. His plan B of putting every striker on the pitch in the hope they score isn't working ;)

Plus, he is generally regarded as a one of the most highly thought of coaches to leave Coverciano. What he achieved at Fiorentina when he did was a fantastic. PLus the leagues at Inter. I know he is slated for his 3 at the back experiments, but there's no denying he's a good tactician. A poor man manager, but a great tactician.

I fail to see how he's a good tactician when he can't change a game. You only have to look at the games this season to see that.

Swansea were helped that their manager was fairly well known inside of Spain.

Villa have only sold the players because their chairman has stopped funding them as much. As Stan C put it on Twitter, they've tried going from spending quite a bit in wages and transfers to not alot. They haven't had any in between.

Cahill wasn't a star player for Villa. He was third/fourth choice behind others and was loaned out that season to Bolton before moving there permanently. Barry threw his toys out the pram, much like Milner did so you can't really use that. Downing and Young went because Villa had to cut their spending. Heskey :D.

Cahill was on loan for us and we turned down buying him for £1 million, then 2 months later he went to Bolton. So hardly a star like you say :D

The fact he included Cahill and Heskey shows he was clutching at straws :D

Hahaha really, how daft does your chairman feel :D. Not that it makes any difference as he may not have performed as well as he did for Bolton for you etc etc. I always find it amusing when hearing of players we've missed out on or turned down.

Back when we had our infamous acquisitions panel, we were apparently close to signing Bale for £3.75m/on loan with a view to a permanent depending on what you read and than BAE got injured :(. When Davies was first in charge, apparently he turned down the chance to sign Lansbury and Sinclair. I'm sure there are more but I can't remember.

Hahaha really, how daft does your chairman feel :D. Not that it makes any difference as he may not have performed as well as he did for Bolton for you etc etc. I always find it amusing when hearing of players we've missed out on or turned down.

Back when we had our infamous acquisitions panel, we were apparently close to signing Bale for £3.75m/on loan with a view to a permanent depending on what you read and than BAE got injured :(. When Davies was first in charge, apparently he turned down the chance to sign Lansbury and Sinclair. I'm sure there are more but I can't remember.

Tbf Cahill was poor when he was at Villa and was poor when he played for us too.

Our biggest claim to not signing a player was turning down a 16 year old Maradonna after agreeing a fee for him because our chairman at the time decided we couldn't really afford him at the last minute.

How history could have been so different :(

Spent the last 8 hours on the bathroom floor.

Definite bug at the moment for me, absolutely hate throwing up! Not feeling sick any more but don't dare eat anything...

Villa are a bigger club that Wigan but I'll humor you.

With the exception of Young and Milner the rest where good players but where not the best players at Villa.

Managers have nothing to do with transfer fees, so your argument means nothing though? Not sure how this proves Martinez is good or poor.

I like how you looked at numbers though and assume it was all money well spent. I'm pretty sure all those sides spent quite a bit of money on duff signings.

He doesn't have a plan b and is tactically inept. He has showed this all season in the league and especially in the Champs League. Last season he had the best strike force in England and could rely on them. This season they are misfiring and he's struggling. His plan B of putting every striker on the pitch in the hope they score isn't working ;)

I fail to see how he's a good tactician when he can't change a game. You only have to look at the games this season to see that.

Potatoes potatoes. I might come back to this later. Just back from the gym though, too tired to think.

OneUnited - Finally used the Chalkboard Diaries logo, so once again thanks for doing it, really appreciated :)

You're very welcome. I have the original PSD (photoshop file) if you need changes :)

Oh my. Just seen this on twitter: John Henry's from Boston & most American #LFC fans live there. Do you think the bombs deliberately been set off today as it's Hillsborough

The mind boggles.

Someone did do a tribute before it started. I'm not saying its connected but there are some strange people in the world.

adrian-zambranon-boston-marathon-397974778.jpg

Am I right in thinking that there was also a tribute to the people who died at that shooting in America just before Christmas too, and that some of the families were in attendance?

Am I right in thinking that there was also a tribute to the people who died at that shooting in America just before Christmas too, and that some of the families were in attendance?

I know that mile 26 of the marathon was dedicated to the school shootings that happened at Sandy Brook Primary school. Is that the one you are thinking of? :) I think some of the families or people connected to the school also ran.

I know that mile 26 of the marathon was dedicated to the school shootings that happened at Sandy Brook Primary school. Is that the one you are thinking of? :) I think some of the families or people connected to the school also ran.

Not exactly sure. I just head that members of the families were there. Thought it was spectators, not people running.

I've just mentioned the thing to the mrs and she didn't even have a clue it happened :rolleyes:.

She sounds like a right slapper. Excellent.
That was my initial thought too :D

Too both of the above, she isnt, shes very flirty, but also very shy, its a weird combo, and she doesnt realise just how good she is! By contrast im far more of a slapper than she is and ive not had any in months :(

Just ask her out. The longer you leave it the less interested and inclined she will be to say yes.

A slapper that turns guys done?

Well see its weird, because we ended up kissing in work, then she decided she wanted to be just friends, but now shes back to her old flirting ways and wanting attention, its a mind boggler!