FM 2012: Player Role & Duty Thread - Offering You The Best Possible Advices!

Fabio MVP

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Name: Javier Pastore

Position: AMC

Role: ?

Duty: ?

Other additional instructions:

Club: PSG

Club's formation: 4-2-3-1

What do you want from your player: To make use of his great dribbling skills and provide assists. Maybe chip in with a few goals here & there.

@ scott - Ahmed is a Poacher with no work at all... could work as an Advanced Forward with his pace as well, but with his physicals he could be made into a TM with very little work.

He'd be fine in the 4-5-1, so long as one of your wingers is an IF... he's not the finished article and needs someone to feed him and play off of.

He could work as an AMR as Shiraz states, but only with the IF instruction... his Crossing and Long shots need would need a lot of work which would take away from his first touch and finishing that he needs...

Just MHO...

What do you want from your player: To make use of his great dribbling skills and provide assists. Maybe chip in with a few goals here & there.

Anyone? Cheers.

Try adv playmaker(att), check 'roam from position' box.

Advanced Playmaker (Attack) IMO.

Name: Oriol Romeu

Position:MC

Role: DLP

Duty: Defend

Other additional instructions: The above role is the recommended role for Romeu at mc and he has been playing well for my Siena side, but I was wondering if anyone has had him play well in any other role/duty ? Thanks

Name: Braian Gomez

Position: DC/DM/MC

Role:

Duty:

Club: Newcastle

Club's formation: 4-1-2-2-1

What do you want from your player: I'm not sure which position would be best for me to play him in. I currently have Shawcross, Smalling and 2 other DC regens above 170 PA for CB (pretty sure they're closer to 180 actually, cant remember off the top of my head) but also 2 other regen possibilities for DM in addition to Tiote and Lars Bender, so I'm not sure where to put him. His final position will just dictate who I end up letting go. I've left Role, Duty and Additional Instructions blank because this is basically the kind of thing I'd like to know (Not even sure how to change role and duty, been looking for the latter for the past 10 minutes and can't see it) For reference: PA is 189 (CA 151) Also any useful combination of PPM's would be helpful. Right now I've started him on a free kick PPM but I've realised I actually have a better free kick taker so that's wasted :p But I guess he can fill in.

cfDH2l.jpg

Name: Geoffrey Lannoy

Position: DM/MC

Role:

Duty:

What do you want from your player: I'm thinking of using him as an MC, as with the above and the third regen as DM's competing for a single DM slot, it would be easier to fit him in as MC. Again, though, I'm wondering what his stats are best for, and again I've left role and duty free as that's what I'd like to know also. His PA is 180 and CA is 103 (lot of development left) PPM's again please.

6zqKvl.jpg

Name: Federico Colantuono

Position: DM

Role:

Duty:

What do you want from your player: This one just for any advice/information you can give as he is only really suited role wise for DM I think, unless I'm mistaken. His PA is 178 and CA is 138. Also, PPM's again.

wYoJHl.jpg

Name: Chorao

Position: MC

Role:

Duty:

What do you want from your player: For this one I'm training him as an MC, but as his attacking stats are unbelievable I'd like him to be quite attacking. As such I'm wondering which PPM's would help him to do this. I'm assuming long shot related PPM's would be best? (also he is my future star player as his PA is actually 200!!!!!)

G2XHal.jpg

Basically I think I'm just asking for opinions on the players in general, whether they're worth developing, what positions they're best at etc.

Thanks!

Name: Braian Gomez

Position: DC/DM/MC

Role:

Duty:

What do you want from your player: I'm not sure which position would be best for me to play him in. I currently have Shawcross, Smalling and 2 other DC regens above 170 PA for CB (pretty sure they're closer to 180 actually, cant remember off the top of my head) but also 2 other regen possibilities for DM in addition to Tiote and Lars Bender, so I'm not sure where to put him. His final position will just dictate who I end up letting go. I've left Role, Duty and Additional Instructions blank because this is basically the kind of thing I'd like to know (Not even sure how to change role and duty, been looking for the latter for the past 10 minutes and can't see it) For reference: PA is 189 (CA 151) Also any useful combination of PPM's would be helpful. Right now I've started him on a free kick PPM but I've realised I actually have a better free kick taker so that's wasted :p But I guess he can fill in.

cfDH2l.jpg

Name: Geoffrey Lannoy

Position: DM/MC

Role:

Duty:

What do you want from your player: I'm thinking of using him as an MC, as with the above and the third regen as DM's competing for a single DM slot, it would be easier to fit him in as MC. Again, though, I'm wondering what his stats are best for, and again I've left role and duty free as that's what I'd like to know also. His PA is 180 and CA is 103 (lot of development left) PPM's again please.

6zqKvl.jpg

Name: Federico Colantuono

Position: DM

Role:

Duty:

What do you want from your player: This one just for any advice/information you can give as he is only really suited role wise for DM I think, unless I'm mistaken. His PA is 178 and CA is 138. Also, PPM's again.

wYoJHl.jpg

Name: Chorao

Position: MC

Role:

Duty:

What do you want from your player: For this one I'm training him as an MC, but as his attacking stats are unbelievable I'd like him to be quite attacking. As such I'm wondering which PPM's would help him to do this. I'm assuming long shot related PPM's would be best? (also he is my future star player as his PA is actually 200!!!!!)

G2XHal.jpg

Basically I think I'm just asking for opinions on the players in general, whether they're worth developing, what positions they're best at etc.

Thanks!

What is Gomez's description? I would play Lannoy as a Defensive Midfielder (Support). I would play Colantuono as a Deep Lying Playmaker (Support). And I would play Chorao as a Advanced Playmaker (Attack).

His description is Wonderkid. By Deep Lying Playmaker do you mean in the DM position or as an MC? Also, how exactly do you set these? I cannot find the option to do so anywhere within tactics, im not sure if I'm just missing something or what. Also, what do you think for PPM's for them?

Thanks for the quick reply by the way, I appreciate it!

His description is Wonderkid. By Deep Lying Playmaker do you mean in the DM position or as an MC? Also, how exactly do you set these? I cannot find the option to do so anywhere within tactics, im not sure if I'm just missing something or what. Thanks for the quick reply by the way, I appreciate it!

Wait until he turns 21 then you will see his description. For the rest three I would use them in DM position. I'm not sure i understand your question though.

How do you change their duty to Support/Attack etc? Or change their role to Advanced Playmaker/ Deep Lying etc?

Go to Tactics and then to Player Instructions. There you can change their roles and/or duties. I hope you understood me. :D

Name: Mario Goetze

Position: AMC behind a Poacher (Lewandowski)

Other additional instructions: N/A

Club: Dortmund

What do you want from your player: Assists and Goals

My assistant recommends using him as an AM-A but I have wingers on an attack duty either side of him and do not want to have too many players on Attack so should I change him to AM-S or change one of the wingers to support?

Name: Ilkay Gundogan

Position: MCR next do a BWM-D (Kehl)

What do you want from your player: Assists mainly and helping out defensively a bit.

Gundogan's best role/duty is AP-A as per my Assistant but I think he will not contribute defensively at all with that setup?

Name: Mario Goetze

Position: AMC behind a Poacher (Lewandowski)

What do you want from your player: Assists and Goals

My assistant recommends using him as an AM-A but I have wingers on an attack duty either side of him and do not want to have too many players on Attack so should I change him to AM-S or change one of the wingers to support?

Name: Ilkay Gundogan

Position: MCR next do a BWM-D (Kehl)

What do you want from your player: Assists mainly and helping out defensively a bit.

Gundogan's best role/duty is AP-A as per my Assistant but I think he will not contribute defensively at all with that setup?

I would use Goetze as an Advanced Playmaker (Attack). Put your wingers on Support duty if you want. Could you post the SS of Ilkay Gundogan as I never heard of him? Tell me his PPM's.

I would use Goetze as an Advanced Playmaker (Attack). Put your wingers on Support duty if you want. Could you post the SS of Ilkay Gundogan as I never heard of him? Tell me his PPM's.

I am not home at the moment but found this one online

nxgfW.png

Also, I think having one Winger on Support and one on Attack will give me a little more width on that side so I can stretch the opposition defence a bit more and create more holes for the poacher

I am not home at the moment but found this one online

nxgfW.png

Also, I think having one Winger on Support and one on Attack will give me a little more width on that side so I can stretch the opposition defence a bit more and create more holes for the poacher

Judging by that SS, how he looks in my save game and what PPM's he has in my save game I would say he is Advanced Playmaker (Support), but if you want him to help out defensively a bit like I want my MCa to do then I would play him as a Central Midfielder (Support). You could even try with the Automatic duty. My MCd is Ball Winning Midfielder (Defend) and my AMR and AML are Winger (Support). That's what my midfield is made of. :)

In a 4-2-3-1 I'd use Gundogan as a deep lying playmaker/support - in that formation I like both my central midfielders to have runs from deep rarely and a lowish mentality.

For Gotze I'd say a similar thing, have him as advanced playmaker/support so that he stays deepish and sits in the hole. You could change a few of the specific instructions but for mentality/closing down/passing etc that role is pretty much spot on.

In a 4-2-3-1 I'd use Gundogan as a deep lying playmaker/support - in that formation I like both my central midfielders to have runs from deep rarely and a lowish mentality.

For Gotze I'd say a similar thing, have him as advanced playmaker/support so that he stays deepish and sits in the hole. You could change a few of the specific instructions but for mentality/closing down/passing etc that role is pretty much spot on.

I was thinking of that as well but Gundogan's positioning and tackling is on the low side, both are 9. I suppose having him in a defensive position with a couple of weaknesses is better than him being too advanced and space exploited behind.

I have settled on this for my midfield so far but what about up front? I have Lewandowski as first-choice, my assistant recommends him as a poacher so I've chosen that for now but would Advanced Forward be a better option?

cHXGT.jpg

Name: Robert Lewandowski

Position: ST

What do you want from your player: Mainly Goals

I have settled on this for my midfield so far but what about up front? I have Lewandowski as first-choice, my assistant recommends him as a poacher so I've chosen that for now but would Advanced Forward be a better option?

cHXGT.jpg

I would mix between Poacher and Advanced Forward and see what suits him the best.

Name: José María Peralta

Position: Striker(Natural), AMC (Accomplished)

Role: ? (Suggested as a 'Complete Forward')

Other additional instructions: I bought him for cheap as he was rated 5 star potential without thinking how I would play him. Currently a wonderkid and has 'Moves into channels' and 'Likes to beat the offside trap' as PPMs. He doesn't have enough pace atm for my sole striker role and his finishing isn't great. Also, doesn't have the pace for the wings or the creativity for AMC. I currently have Kagawa, Gotze, Reus and Giovinco as first choice rotating in the AML,AMC,AML positions.

What do you want from your player: Not even sure. Just don't want to sell him due to all staff saying he has massive potential.

th_JosMaraPeraltaOverview_Attributes.png

EDIT:

P.S. Staff say his only weakness is he is selfish? How can he be with 20 teamwork?? Does the selfishness relate to hidden stats or is it a bug?

Name: José María Peralta

Position: Striker(Natural), AMC (Accomplished)

Role: ? (Suggested as a 'Complete Forward')

Other additional instructions: I bought him for cheap as he was rated 5 star potential without thinking how I would play him. Currently a wonderkid and has 'Moves into channels' and 'Likes to beat the offside trap' as PPMs. He doesn't have enough pace atm for my sole striker role and his finishing isn't great. Also, doesn't have the pace for the wings or the creativity for AMC. I currently have Kagawa, Gotze, Reus and Giovinco as first choice rotating in the AML,AMC,AML positions.

What do you want from your player: Not even sure. Just don't want to sell him due to all staff saying he has massive potential.

th_JosMaraPeraltaOverview_Attributes.png

EDIT:

P.S. Staff say his only weakness is he is selfish? How can he be with 20 teamwork?? Does the selfishness relate to hidden stats or is it a bug?

Judging on his PPM's I would play him as an Advanced Forward or as a Poacher, but judging on his attributes I would play him as a Complete Forward (Support) or as a Deep Lying Forward (Support). Selfishness relates to Teamwork, Work Rate and Bravery, so there is your answer why he is selfish.

cHXGT.jpg

I'm playing as Dortmund. Using Lewandowski as advanced forward. 26 goals in 29 games so far.

I'm playing as Dortmund. Using Lewandowski as advanced forward. 26 goals in 29 games so far.

Thanks. Yeah, I have changed to Advanced Forward as well. Much better :D

Edit: I have also changed Gotze to Advanced Playmaker - Attack like FabioMVP suggested and my Wingers to Support. It has improved both my defense and attack a lot.

Name: Idd Chipenda

Position: Striker

Role: ??

Duty: ??

Club: Steaua Bucharest

Club's formation: 4-1-2-2-1(Wingers/4-3-3)

What do you want from your player: Goals, goals and more goals.

iddchipendaoverviewattr.png

I know he's scoring goals already but he has the ability to score more, and using him as a poacher as I am at the moment may be wrong.

Name: Idd Chipenda

Role: ??

Duty: ??

Club: Steaua Bucharest

Club's formation: 4-1-2-2-1(Wingers/4-3-3)

What do you want from your player: Goals, goals and more goals.

iddchipendaoverviewattr.png

I know he's scoring goals already but he has the ability to score more, and using him as a poacher as I am at the moment may be wrong.

I think he doesn't have enough support from the midfield to play any other role then Deep Lying Forward (Support). I think ATM he gets isolated easily. Every lone striker without enough support form the midfield should be played as Deep Lying Forward (Support) or he will get isolated and he won't contribute. The way his attributes look in that SS I would say that Target Man (Attack) suits him the best.

Thanks. Yeah, I have changed to Advanced Forward as well. Much better :D

Edit: I have also changed Gotze to Advanced Playmaker - Attack like FabioMVP suggested and my Wingers to Support. It has improved both my defense and attack a lot.

Good to hear that. :thup:

I think he doesn't have enough support from the midfield to play any other role then Deep Lying Forward (Support). I think ATM he gets isolated easily. Every lone striker without enough support form the midfield should be played as Deep Lying Forward (Support) or he will get isolated and he won't contribute. The way his attributes look in that SS I would say that Target Man (Attack) suits him the best.

Thanks Fabio MVP, I will give it a go in the coming games. I tried him as a target man and he played horribly, getting 3 6.5's in a row. Hopefully as a DPL he will improve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Name: Fredy Montero

Club: Toronto FC

Club's formation: 4-1-2-1-2(diamond midfield,no wingers)

What do you want from your player: Bags of goals

74oOG.jpg

I would use him as an Advanced Forward.

Name: Emanuel Cisneros

Club: Liverpool (Joins next summer, Argentina regen)

Club formations: 4-4-2 diamond, 4-3-1-2, 4-1-2-1-2 (narrow 4-4-2 diamond)

What do you want from your player: Goals aha

emanuelcisnerosoverview.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You'll hardly get goals out of him. I would use him as a creative striker who will first look to assist and create chances. So, Deep-Lying Forward (Support) would be my choice or even Trequartista. But, if you really want goals from him then I'd go with Deep-Lying Forward (Attack).

• 1 month later...
Read the first post in this thread.

Name: Kadlec

Position: AML/SC

Club: Spurs

Club's formation:4-1-2-2(wide)-1

What do you want from your player: Goals

I hope using your special system make it easier for you to understand Fabio MVP.

Name: Kadlec

Position: AML/SC

Club: Spurs

Club's formation:4-1-2-2(wide)-1

What do you want from your player: Goals

I hope using your special system make it easier for you to understand Fabio MVP.

I understand it either way. I just want you to follow the rules. Go practice that ''sarcasm'' of yours some more and then come back.

• 3 months later...

Name: Marek Hamsik

Position: MC/AMC/AML

Role: DLP (Trequarista as AMC; Inside Forward as AML)

Duty:

Club: Tottenham

What do you want from your player: Improvement, mostly assists and/or goals

Since I bought Hamsik in my first season, and now halfway into my third, he has been a picture of mediocrity. I was hoping you could help me better understand what I can do make his performances stronger as I'm at a loss. Playing alongside a BWM (Sandro or Felliani), I was expecting him to orchestrate my offense and load up on assists as a DLP. Instead, it's a good day if he rates over 7.0. Here are some screen shots of him, the formation he plays in, and his personal instructions.

profilensh.png

playerinstr.png

His PPMs are: Moves into Channels, Gets Forward Whenever Possible, Knocks Ball Past Opponent and Cuts Inside. For what it's worth, even though we won the league last season AND he's our team captain, he is constantly finding it hard to motivate himself to play for me.

Any info to help unleash this guys real talents would be immense. I don't need to be paying 110,000/week for a rotation player. I'd sell him, but a) he's my captain so I don't want to rock the boat and b) I'm having the same issue with Ytrergard-Jensen. Thus, I assume I'm doing something wrong that's holding him back.

I think DLP is the best role for that position in that formation, but that player is not likely to get good ratings in that position. It is possible, but there's a couple of things I would change (I'm using a tag-team of Gerrard and Joe Allen in that position to excellent effect, for what it's worth).

First up I think you'd need to switch Sandro to defend duty, this will both be more solid in defence and it will also leave a bit more space for Hamsik. I also don't like for forward setup, in my opinion your striker should be the Treq, or if it must be your AMC, then the striker should be a DLF-S. This will greatly improve your link-up play, which Hamsik will be more involved in. If you do make your striker the Treq, I've found AP-S for the AMC works very well. This will promote greater team play, which will benefit your whole side, but especially Bale and Hamsik.

Of course this advice is useless if the rest of your players don't fit in other duties.

Thanks for the response, Althaz. I will definitely try Sandro in defend duty. Ultimately, I want to take advantage of Hamsik's immense technical and creative skills. I don't need him to get goals/assists, per se. But I don't see why a player of his talent can't be putting up a 7.0+ rating each match. Are there any issues or improvements with his player instructions?

Regarding link-up, is there a post I can be directed to that explains that better? Sigurdsson has been great as a Treq, and Bony as a Poacher, both set to attack. Typically, I assign player roles based on their attirbutes. I'd happily change those individual roles for greater team play, but want to make sure I'm making smart decisions rather than assigning roles that may lead to new problems with individual performances.

Thanks for the response, Althaz. I will definitely try Sandro in defend duty. Ultimately, I want to take advantage of Hamsik's immense technical and creative skills. I don't need him to get goals/assists, per se. But I don't see why a player of his talent can't be putting up a 7.0+ rating each match. Are there any issues or improvements with his player instructions?

Regarding link-up, is there a post I can be directed to that explains that better? Sigurdsson has been great as a Treq, and Bony as a Poacher, both set to attack. Typically, I assign player roles based on their attirbutes. I'd happily change those individual roles for greater team play, but want to make sure I'm making smart decisions rather than assigning roles that may lead to new problems with individual performances.

I personally think Hamsik is wasted as a DLP. He's an AP if ever I saw one, that said, he's even better higher up the pitch, AMC TQ is his ideal role I'd say. However if you wish to persist with him as a DLP one thing I would definitely do is switch him to the MCl position. Currently he's playing in front of your stopper DC. By playing him in front of your cover DC you will give him more space to operate in; Kaboul is probably pushing up closer to him and therefore compressing the space he has available.

I also agree about creating better link up. I'd be tempted to drop Bale to a support role, he will still perform very similarly as with attack but (along with moving Hamsik to MCl) will be more available for the pass, giving Marek more options.

Thanks edgar555. I know I'm getting good advice if it's coming from a Spurs guy. I did move Hamsik to MCl, APs for my last match, with no real results. Granted, it was an away match at Liverpool (and I play with Sandro as a DM in my away tactic). But I'm going to continue to play with him in this role. I'd move him to an AMC role but Gylfi is so damn good in that role!

I did not understand how the CB roles would impact the MC roles, so thanks for explaining that. I'll need to read more about understanding link up play as my understanding of tactics is 100% based on this game and what I've learned over the years.

Could Felliani play as a DLP? I know he's a DM by trade, but his attributes (and his current role at Everton) suggest a more dynamic attacking player than "just" a ball winner.

I did not understand how the CB roles would impact the MC roles, so thanks for explaining that. I'll need to read more about understanding link up play as my understanding of tactics is 100% based on this game and what I've learned over the years.

Could Felliani play as a DLP? I know he's a DM by trade, but his attributes (and his current role at Everton) suggest a more dynamic attacking player than "just" a ball winner.

The bolded part is all due to the space being compacted or opened up. FM13 and football in general is about use of space. As stated before the way the stopper was pushing up was compacting and limiting Hamsiks space.

I can't see a screenshot of Fellaini right now but off the top of my head I'd say he could do the DLP thing.

Name: André Schürrle

Position: AML

Role: Support but have tried attack

Club: Liverpool

Formation: 4-1-2-2-1

What i want from him:

Not shooting the ball at everytime he gets it and him to run in behind the defence to score goals.

Archived