LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not too disappointed with tonight really. A bit disappointing to see Cole and Terry waltzing around like that but I'm quite happy for di Matteo particularly. I think seeing John Terry happy is marginally less queasy than a summer of over-optimistic Champions League chat from Tottenham.

Ashley <3 :cool:

Do you not find the weight of opposition to your views as a sign of being wrong?

Not really. I personally know many Gooners who agree with me that far outweigh those here that don't rate him.

Next.

Cahill is a good defender, but isn't better than what we've got already. He is slow, and Chelsea sat deep and Gomez isn't quick either and his positonal play is not good, so he's like the slightly more overrated version of Per

Oh dear indeed. If you'd really rather have Per to Cahill then I really don't know what to say.

Not really. I personally know many Gooners who agree with me that far outweigh those here that don't rate him.

Next.

That's a bit like saying that people who are members of the BNP are right because they personally know more people who share their views with regards race!! :D

No, it's nothing like that at all and I think that's a poor choice of analogy. Funny how I'm wrong because a few on here say so though. Your point falls flat on its face.

If you think AFC's defenders leave no space for Cahill then fine, I'm used to you settling for the bare minimum - brainwashed by Wenger and Gazidis.

The CL trophy says hi.

I think SJ234 was speaking generally: that pretty much every view you have comes up against resistance from all but a couple of people... at best.

Now that I know the CL trophy can TALK... I definitely want us to win it!!

I think SJ234 was speaking generally: that pretty much every view you have comes up against resistance from all but a couple of people... at best.

Now that I know the CL trophy can TALK... I definitely want us to win it!!

I think SJ234 can speak for himself.

I was answering your response to me, which was questioning my response to you, which was questioning SL234. Therefore in this case I was more than justified to give my interpretation of what he said, given that my aforementioned response was made on the basis of said interpretation. Comprende?

Anyway... Do you not find the weight of opposition to your views[plural]as a sign of being wrong? By that I mean generally speaking,,, not just on the issue of Cahill?

I don't know if anyone is up for this, but I thought that given that most of us are in agreement that the squad needs a bit of pruning etc I've come up with a quick game while nursing a mild hangover.

Rules

You have been tasked with getting rid of 15 dead-wood players from our current first-team squad (including those that were out on loan last season). To make it slightly more interesting (maybe) you want to be as efficient as possible in terms of finances - so players on a high wage should be considered more urgent than those that aren't (obviously need to guess the wages they're on). However, all of the players you choose will either go for free or for only half of their current estimated value, so choosing our star players to free up a slot would be possibly unwise. You want to try and consider that the money recouped in wages and fees will be used to get replacements and that our funds are limited.

This is the squad (will amend if I've mucked up):

Almunia

Fabianski

Szczesny

Mannone

Sagna

Jenkinson

Mertesacker

Vermaelen

Koscielny

Djourou

Squillaci

Gibbs

Santos

Diaby

Rosicky

Arteta

Ramsey

Song

Wilshere

Frimpong

Coquelin

Lansbury

Denilson

Van Persie

Chamakh

Park

Arshavin

Walcott

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Campbell

Bendtner

Myaichi

Vela

Not to be taken at all seriously: just be interested to see who people would jettison under the circumstances. I've probably not really thought it through properly. :D

Almunia

Mannone

Djourou

Squillaci

Diaby

Ramsey

Frimpong

Lansbury

Chamakh

Park

Arshavin

Bendtner

Vela

Jenkinson

Campbell

I'm glad I chose 15 because it means you probably have to pick at least a few you don't necessarily want to leave.

Gary Cahill was superb again last night. I was right all along.

The same guy who got sold a dummy which should have resulted in a goal? I can imagine Mert doing that and you going batshit about it.

Let's face it, Chelsea have been lucky in the competition. That's not sour grapes, it's the truth. Would I give a toss if I was a Chelsea fan? Hell no.

But don't put it down to Cahill being amazing or anything. Poor finishing cost Bayern,

Per is better than Cahill
He really isn't.

And to base your statement on last night's game when he hadn't played in 3 weeks and was coming back from an hamstring injury (and probably wasn't 100%) is ludicrous. I was sceptical about Cahill when he signed and after a shaky start, he's been quality

Everyone saying Per is better than Cahill just makes me laugh so hard. The cold fact is if Cahill was at Arsenal he would push Per to 4th choice every day of the week. End of story.

Everyone saying Per is better than Cahill just makes me laugh so hard. The cold fact is if Cahill was at Arsenal he would push Per to 4th choice every day of the week. End of story.

Sy you clearly believe the xenophobia in the British media.

You have been playing too much FIFA if you think Per is worse than Cahill.

Imo we should have Kossy and Per as first choice

The fact that you keep tripping yourself up as above with your exchange with jisntdaman makes me laugh so hard. Another one to brush aside before making another comment with misguided bravado.

Actually that's just your opinion and since it's unlikely they'll ever both play for Arsenal we'll never know if it would be fact or not.

Pretty unfair to render judgement on Mertesacker compared to Cahill though when he's only played what amounted to about half a season for a new club, in a new league in a new country. Cahill might have impressed for his new club, but he was still playing in a league he was totally familiar with.

Mertesacker has nearly 80 caps for Germany....that would be European football powerhouse Germany, not Republic of Dotheyevenplayfootball there or Wherethehellisthatistan

Almunia

Fabianski

Mannone

Djourou

Squillaci

Diaby

Frimpong

Lansbury

Denilson

Chamakh

Park

Arshavin

Bendtner

Vela

Got to 14 easy enough, but that 15th player was difficult to cull. Would have to be a choice between Andre Santos and Ramsey tbh.

and the 15 players I'd get rid of

Almunia

Mannone

Fabianski

Djourou

Squillaci

Diaby

Ramsey

Frimpong

Lansbury

Denilson

Vela

Chamakh

Park

Arshavin

last one is difficult. I really like Jenkinson so I want him to stay. Last choice could be anything from Campbell to Ryo to Vermaelen to even Santos. Im going to say Vermaelen as then we would in theory bring in a top CB.

Archived