One last try

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand you are in season one as Charlton Manager, is that right?

Well you should be among the promotion favorites to the Championship. Your squad is ok-ish, as are your finances.

What you need to do is secure the services of good players. This will only be possible via free signings and loans.

There are lists of good freebies and loans in the good player/team forum and there is also a Charlton team thread there.

In my honest oppinion, tactics don't matter as much as good signings do at League one level. 4/4/2 will still get you promoted if you have a stromg squad.

Something else to consider ..... Does your assistant manager have 10 or more in the tactical knowledge stat? I have his pre match advice automatically aplied to games but an AssMan can't give tactical advice with a rating under 10.

I read soewhere that his advice is based on his own knowledge of the opposition/players and the scouting report that is given by the scout before each game.

Make sure you assign a scout to "Next Opposition" who has decent JPA and Tactical knowledge if possible, it may help.

Good Luck with helping me, I am obviuosly not any good at this game. I am meant to be promotion favourites but instead produce rubbish football.

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/rubbishcharlton.jpg/

http://img513.imageshack.us/i/41099697.jpg/

If I lose 2/3 more games I will get the sack, do you blame them?

Good Luck with helping me, I am obviuosly not any good at this game. I am meant to be promotion favourites but instead produce rubbish football.

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/rubbishcharlton.jpg/

http://img513.imageshack.us/i/41099697.jpg/

If I lose 2/3 more games I will get the sack, do you blame them?

Right. Did you use any Opposition Instructions on the players? Any man-marking on the tactics screen?

Can you play one game on full match and upload the .pkm to here? Just so some of us can see where you're going wrong?

I asked my assistant to sort it, as I have been doing that myself, but thought he may know better. He def chose to Man Mark both the forwards and to show on to weaker foot, as they were both Right Only.

Ok, sorry, what is .PKM? sorry

Oh and one thing that has not helped, just when id got a couple of wins, Febian Brandy got injured, only goalscorer I had.

I asked my assistant to sort it, as I have been doing that myself, but thought he may know better. He def chose to Man Mark both the forwards and to show on to weaker foot, as they were both Right Only.

Ok, sorry, what is .PKM? sorry

Right, play a game on full, then choose to save the game like this.

lcfc.jpg

Then look in C:\your name\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\Games

and find the .pkm that is the game you saved

Upload it via http://www.rapidshare.com and then give me the link. I'll watch the game and say where I think you went wrong.

Just a quick update, beat Swindon 2-0, even game, but we had more shots, but played bottom of the league Leyton Orient away and lost 1-0. They have just annouced a new manager and had won previous 2 games, so they seem to have picked up with a new man in charge. Then played Yeovil away and drew 1-1. It is very nervous watching us, especially away from home, although, as I slowly get my players back from injury, we seem to be playing better football. Just want Brandy back, as he has been the best player for me, been injured for 2 months and will not be back for another month at least. Can't wait until January, going to try and bring in some very good Prem players on loan and list a few of the 'dead wood' players.

P.S. does anyone know if there is an official Charlton Thread for FM11? I have only found FM10 but probably looking in the wrong place.

Try playing direct passing too, and too the wings. If I'm right, Charlton's wingers are quite decent, so use them. If their pace isn't much to be desired, grab a winger with pace. Opposition Instructions are also massive I find. I put always close down, always tight mark, show onto weaker foot on their midfield and attackers, and a bit of hard tackling doesn't go a miss on their decent players :p

The wingers...one is on Loan, Martin, not fanatastic, drifts in and out of games, better as an impact sub I find. Reid is a good winger, fair amount of pace, but again, not great. I have an attacking mid playing right wing, Wagstaff, as i am short on those areas. My preffered Style has always been short, quickish tempo passing, which works to a certain extent. I play narrow as the wingers are not great, and feel playing in the strikers, Brandy or Jay Rodriguez (recently joined on Loan) through the middle has been working. I was left without Brandy for 3-4 months through injury as well, so had poor goal to shot ratio.

The one thing that worries me, is my teams conplacency against smaller teams in the league with a lower repuatation, we struggle to get hold of the games. I presume they only way i can improve this is by making sure any new signings have high determination, work rate and team work?

I am prepared to give this game one last try, otherwise will not change my mind that FM11 is the worst manager game released. It plays you, you cannot play it.

Don't come back until 11.3 is released. Otherwise you're right so far.

Ok, after realising i need to stick to a tactic and give it some time, I am now on a 12 game unbeaten run, which is the best run I have been on since I have had FM11. Scoring 2/3 goals a game and letting very few in. Chuffed. Pushed into 6th place so hopefully end up in the play-offs after all.

Biggest piece of advise I can give for anyone managing in the lower league's is to find CBs who can jump and head! I had an awful time managing in the lower leagues with teams in Slovenia and then League 2. at least 5 years of struggle and sackings from clubs like Port Vale and Crewe.

I was conceding so many goals from crosses and set pieces. So I decided to find some better defenders. The taller the better! 6' 5"+ and Jumping and Heading 16+.

That is Great Tips :)

Hey LCFCEaves31,

Good to see someone helping ya and Good to see that You doing well !

Keep Going!

Good Luck :)

That is Great Tips :)

Hey LCFCEaves31,

Good to see someone helping ya and Good to see that You doing well !

Keep Going!

Good Luck :)

Cheers, I am slowly becoming better, with some sound advice, but I am not getting to excited! I still feel I have loads to learn, but determined to get there!

This thread is fantastic, it really shows that the community is always willing to help a fellow manager who wants to improve, and it's also refreshing to see someone who doesn't want to blame SI because they're not winning every game!

Well, we done it, got to the play-off final seeing off Huddersfield 3-2, 2-2 (5-4 on agg.) and in the final we met Southampton...well it was touch and go all game. We went behind just before half-time, infact, I think it was 46th minute. Gutted. Anyway, we rallied the troops and within 17 seconds of the restart, we equalised through Reid, who has been one of the players of the season for us.

I think it was about 60th minute when Southampton went in front again, from a freekick. Again, I was gutted, but we had played quite well, so had patience with the tactics and let it run. on 70th (ish) minute, Therry Racon scored from 20 yards!! A sigh of relief. We then had numerous chances to finish it, but they also rattled the cross bar! Best game of the season by far.

90Minutes was up, 2-2, so extra time we go. I made a couple of subs to freshen things up, but throughout almost all of extra time, we were getting sluggish, and tired, and Southampton were dominating. The woodwork was struck again and in the last minute of the second half of extra time, Somedo, who has been a rock all season, cleared off the line!

So, after the first half of the season, where I felt we had the worst luck ever, we were finally getting the lucky break we needed.

Penalties it was.

Southampton missed the first spot kick, we scored (0-1)

Southampton scored the second spot kick, we scored (1-2)

Southampton missed the third spot kick, we scored (1-3)

Southampton scored the fourth spot kick, we missed (2-3)

Southampton scored the fifth spot kick to make it 3-3...it was up to Reid, to win it...finger nail bitting times. Up he stepped, belted it top corner!

Championship he we come!

I look back at this thread and think that all the moaning and trouble I had, was just a phase, and all I needed was some good advice from you all and pateince. Hopefully, I have a better understanding of the game now, and can go on from here.

Thanks People, I know where to come if I get stuck again. I will keep post updated with my season in the Championship, as I think it may be a struggle, so may be back moaning again, haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Yo, quick update if anyone is interested...I am 10th in the Championship...I was top for the first 8/9 games though!! Then hit a really bad run, so dropped down to mid table. Just picked up a couple of wins at last though, but a quick question...

Do you have a technique to get out of a rut quickly? I tried swapping players and tweeking tactics, didn't work, so I tried to change the whole formation to an old favourite, 4-5-1 and it worked, stopped leaking so many goals.

How do you guys do it?

Hey LCFCEaves31,

Great thread to read. The difference between your first and last post is amazing. Really good to see you come here, get help and start pilling op the wins.

When you're in a bit of a slump you need to tight thinks up a bit. Make sure you motivate your players ('you can win tonight', 'pressure is off') so their morale stays good.

I've been inspired by this thread in some ways. I started a game as Hartlepool, and struggled for form in my first 3 seasons. But instead of doing what I normally do and give up on the save after a couple of seasons of struggle, I've kept plugging away and working on my tactics, training regimes, brought in a couple of freebie youngsters who I've nurtured into first team regulars, and used my scouts to find players to improve my team.

And finally, in my fourth season, it's all clicked. It's mid-December, and I'm sitting in 2nd place in League 1, 4 points ahead of 3rd, on an unbeaten run of 12 games. My team have stopped conceding silly late goals, and even if we go a goal down I seem to be able to get them to play their way back into the game and win, using some touchline shouts and subtle changes to the tactics.

My squad has a low average age (the news reports keep telling me this when I win matches!), morale is high (and crucially doesn't drop when we do lose a match), and last month the 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed "Young Player of the Month" were all mine!

My advice to anyone who's struggling is to keep at it, have some patience, and I promise you that when things do click into place the feeling is immense.

Yo, quick update if anyone is interested...I am 10th in the Championship...I was top for the first 8/9 games though!! Then hit a really bad run, so dropped down to mid table. Just picked up a couple of wins at last though, but a quick question...

Do you have a technique to get out of a rut quickly? I tried swapping players and tweeking tactics, didn't work, so I tried to change the whole formation to an old favourite, 4-5-1 and it worked, stopped leaking so many goals.

How do you guys do it?

OK, first off, congrats on the promotion to the Championship!

Secondly, if you do well as a unfancied club, when your rep goes up, the AI 'combats' your tactic, if you get me... i.e If you play counter-attack, the AI will tell it's players to drop deep. You need to find a formation and method that is different to your current one.

OK, first off, congrats on the promotion to the Championship!

Secondly, if you do well as a unfancied club, when your rep goes up, the AI 'combats' your tactic, if you get me... i.e If you play counter-attack, the AI will tell it's players to drop deep. You need to find a formation and method that is different to your current one.

Yeah, I kinda realised we were not dominating games, so went back to 4-5-1, and played a bit higher up the pitch, seems to have at least got us a few wins and blocked up the leak we had at the back!

A great thread where everyone is helping out. It makes a change from the miriad of others that descend in chaos.

LCFCEaves31 - it is great that the guys here have change your mind and I hope this is a help to others in a position like yours.

Deisler26 - you have saved an unhappy person and turned it around with great advice and help - you are to be commended on this - well done!

A great thread where everyone is helping out. It makes a change from the miriad of others that descend in chaos.

LCFCEaves31 - it is great that the guys here have change your mind and I hope this is a help to others in a position like yours.

Deisler26 - you have saved an unhappy person and turned it around with great advice and help - you are to be commended on this - well done!

Why thank you! It was just nice to read about someone actually trying the game instead of giving up and calling it unplayable, so I thought he deserved as much help as I could give him

This thread and lack of patch released so far has inspired me to try something ive not done before when the patch is finally out. Lower League Management with a journeyman career in the long term. i had a small run about earlier with acrington just a few hours playing through quickly and the thrill ive not had since a few versions ago was present again. the challenge of beating norich in the league cup was what brought it back considering they were 2 leagues above me and expected to dominate me comfortably, this was the result. yes i lost the game but i put up a good fight :D

AccringtonvNorwichInformation_Overview.png

Why thank you! It was just nice to read about someone actually trying the game instead of giving up and calling it unplayable, so I thought he deserved as much help as I could give him

To be fair, the anger and emmotion I showed, I am surprised anyone wanted to help me!! So I am a lucky man, as Football Manager is again, an enjoyable (as enjoyable as football managment can be!) game that has me hooked again.

So once again, thanks, I hope others have read this and took note, or will do the same in future and ask if things are not going their way.

This is the first new addition of the game that i played since FM 08 and i have to say i am finding it quite easy. I am currently playing as Wycombe in my first season i won the league lossing just 4 games all season and now i am top of league one and have only lost 2 games so far. My first game on FM 11 i was Spurs i won the league,league cup and was runner up in the champions league lossing to Real on pens in my first season. All i have done is stick to a decent strong tactic tweaking it as i go and in the case of my current Wycombe game where i only have 5K to spend on transffers i used the loan market to improve my team with the occasional free signing.

I'm proud of this thread for many reasons...

1. A fantastic team spirit from the entire community (or at least the half of the community that are rational and not hating the game because it's terrible but buy it every year anyway... :p)

2. LCFCEaves31's achievements are fantastic, especially his commitment to carry it on where many others have given up, or worse, complained about how the game is cheating etc.

3. That OP is a Leicester fan :D

KUTGW Eaves!

I'm proud of this thread for many reasons...

1. A fantastic team spirit from the entire community (or at least the half of the community that are rational and not hating the game because it's terrible but buy it every year anyway... :p)

2. LCFCEaves31's achievements are fantastic, especially his commitment to carry it on where many others have given up, or worse, complained about how the game is cheating etc.

3. That OP is a Leicester fan :D

KUTGW Eaves!

Haha, awesome! Thanks very much mate, and as mentioned, couldn't and wouldn't have done it without the help from the forum.

P.S. what is KUTGW...??? :confused:

Great Thread! I am currently in my 3rd season with Droylsden after coming in mid-season and saving them from relegation, winning the league and battling for the play-offs in respective campaigns. I tried many tactics and in the end decided to stick to a sinple 4-4-2 with wingers. I start games as standard mentality and switch accordingly, and have left the original training scheduals.

It is perhaps a world a way from League 1, but simple tactics really are the way forward. Also take time to edit set-peices as sticking a big lad at the back post (Gifton Noel-Williams - remember him?!) has worked wonders. Good luck with Charlton and I'm sure with the brilliant help from the community you can take them back to the glory days when they finished 5th with Scotty Parker!

Hello, back again. I am angry, not really angry though, like I was when I started this post!

What has happened??? I was over acheiving, scoring for fun in some games...was in 7th position middle of February...now I cannot stop letting goals in?!?! I have lost, 6-3, 3-1 and 4-0!! Christ sake, just when I think I am getting somewhere, this shoots me down! I have already had a bad patch this season, went about 9/10 games without a win...

Changed tactics think that I was getting predictable, being worked out...but then lost 4-0...all my players morale has crashed...

You need to grind out a win from somewhere. Use the media and team talk options to reduce pressure. Play tight and on the break to reduce the chances of mistakes opening up space to be exploited. Increase passing length to counter the wet/cold conditions. Be very supportive of the team in half-time and full time teamtalks, praising any good performance and not being too harsh on poor ones. When you do get the win, be expansive in your praise while still not putting too much pressure on the team for the next match. After two good performances in a row, then start to ramp up the expectations and open up play again.

You need to grind out a win from somewhere. Use the media and team talk options to reduce pressure. Play tight and on the break to reduce the chances of mistakes opening up space to be exploited. Increase passing length to counter the wet/cold conditions. Be very supportive of the team in half-time and full time teamtalks, praising any good performance and not being too harsh on poor ones. When you do get the win, be expansive in your praise while still not putting too much pressure on the team for the next match. After two good performances in a row, then start to ramp up the expectations and open up play again.

Yes, you are right, and I did have another formation, just that the tactics were almost the same...I have made a new tactic, but made it counter attacking, and I won 2-1.

I do struggle to be nice to my team when we lose, especially by such big margins like I have done just lately, but it makes sense. Every now and then though, I think a kick up the backside fires them into life!

Yes, you are right, and I did have another formation, just that the tactics were almost the same...I have made a new tactic, but made it counter attacking, and I won 2-1.

I do struggle to be nice to my team when we lose, especially by such big margins like I have done just lately, but it makes sense. Every now and then though, I think a kick up the backside fires them into life!

It is fine to play hardball when the team has been on form and is playing against a side it should be beating, only to play like dogs. Hopefully, in such a match, you can learn to recognise the warning signs early, shut up shop to end the first half still being in the match and deal with the performance at half time. You can then often come out with a win as the team pulls their socks up and comes out firing second half.

However, when the team is struggling, a different approach is required. No point kicking a team that is already down. You have to pick them up.

The biggest risk is overachieving with an average team early on in a season. At some point, pressure or complacency will become an issue and the team will put in a dodgy performance or two. A great manager will be able to turn this round during a match or after one bad result, stopping any significant form slumps. A good manager will take them out of the slump after 3-4 games, not reacting quickly enough to deal with things before the slump in form but having a good plan once it has happened. The average manager will often suffer a multi-game slump, costing any chance of automatic promotion, but not killing off the play off chances as he will eventually work out how to grind out the win and get them back on track. A poor manager will struggle to get the team back on track at all as, although he has a coherent method of playing when in form, has no plan B for other situations. A terrible manager will make things worse by randomly changing tactics and team talks, confusing the team, hammering morale and causing the team drop like a stone.

Il help you mate, for a championship team these players are diamonds! leigh griffiths 250k p.mouche 650k verhotsev 550k now go win the league!

I have scouted Leigh Griffiths, would love to sign him...however, my transfer budget is £108,000, and that is with letting players go, but we are in alot of debt. Freebies and loans is all I can get.

1 draw and 5 defeats. This game I think just puts you in far too many runs, you either go on an awesome run, or you cant stop losing...no inbetween

See my above post. It is perfectly possible to prevent slumps and maintain form, but you need to have a Plan B, at the very least, when Plan A doesn't work.

See my above post. It is perfectly possible to prevent slumps and maintain form, but you need to have a Plan B, at the very least, when Plan A doesn't work.

I finally decided to bite the bullet, and set up a new formation, and counter attacking tactics etc...that didnt work, lost 5-1!

Then tried basic 4-4-2 that I had before, but tweaked tactics, just to try and stop the goals flying in...won 2-1, and didnt lose again until the end of season. I think I had become to complacent, so when we started to play poorly, I didn't want to change tactics...and it cost me. Another lesson learnt though. Ended up 10th, in a season we were expected to get relegated, so cannot complain. Have alot of players who are not needed leaving on free's at the end of the season, so will free up wages and bring in fresh faces hopefully.

Also, one other note, health and safety have closed one stand...how do i get it re-opened?

I finally decided to bite the bullet, and set up a new formation, and counter attacking tactics etc...that didnt work, lost 5-1!

Then tried basic 4-4-2 that I had before, but tweaked tactics, just to try and stop the goals flying in...won 2-1, and didnt lose again until the end of season. I think I had become to complacent, so when we started to play poorly, I didn't want to change tactics...and it cost me. Another lesson learnt though. Ended up 10th, in a season we were expected to get relegated, so cannot complain. Have alot of players who are not needed leaving on free's at the end of the season, so will free up wages and bring in fresh faces hopefully.

Also, one other note, health and safety have closed one stand...how do i get it re-opened?

I know your frustration mate, I hated this game at first because what has worked for me on the previous FM games wouldnt work on this one! You just have to adapt and find a new tactic that works. For me that tactic is 433, which is quite flexible and can become 4312 or 4321.... :)

I know your frustration mate, I hated this game at first because what has worked for me on the previous FM games wouldnt work on this one! You just have to adapt and find a new tactic that works. For me that tactic is 433, which is quite flexible and can become 4312 or 4321.... :)

I am glad I am not the only one...I had FM09, then got this, and really struggled. But on the formations, I have a 4-4-2 and 4-5-1...you think I should set up a 4-3-3 then? How do you like to play? Personally, I have always been one for short, quick football, no route 1 stuff, unless I am counter attacking, I might go a more direct.

Are you sure it's your stand? In your inbox you get news about other clubs stands closing down as well.

This is a great thread though, good to see you've been helped out by some good people and shows how good this forum is :).

Are you sure it's your stand? In your inbox you get news about other clubs stands closing down as well.

This is a great thread though, good to see you've been helped out by some good people and shows how good this forum is :).

Well I don't think it actually said, but I did see Derby's emblem...confused, as I would have thought my stadium was older and alot worse condition.

Archived