Overrated and underrated players

One good season?. Jbutton. You really lack in football knowledge if you think Rooney is not world class. "He is playing to the standard he normally plays". Get a grip you troll.

Here is his season goal totals at Man Utd:

2004-5: 17

2005-6: 19

2006-7: 23

2007-8: 18

2008-9: 20

2009-10: 34

2010-11: 3

In his whole career he has scored 151 goals in 375 games. Add to that over 80 assists and his massive work rate. Not bad eh.

Looking at the facts it shows that he is having a bad spell that he has never gone through before. FACT.

I would rather take the opinion of the managers from around the world that all agree that he is world class than take the "opinion" of some internet troll who couldnt tell his arse from his elbow.

Look at his stats in the premier league as thats where it counts

2004–05 29 11

2005–06 36 16

2006–07 35 14

2007–08 27 12

2008–09 30 12

2009–10 32 26

2010–11 12 2

For a striker those are poor stats only ever breached the 20 goal mark once, for "one of the worlds best strikers" that is shocking.

Lets compare that to the likes of henry;

1999–00 31 17 (In Henry's first season he beat Rooneys second best season in less games)

2000–01 35 17

2001–02 33 24

2002–03 37 24

2003–04 37 30

2004–05 32 25

2005–06 32 27

2006–07 17 10

As you can see henry broke the 20 goal mark 5 times, rooney has done it once, Henry is a world class striker Rooney is not, as balotelli said "He's good, but not that good"

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so how do you compare a striker to a goal keeper? what stats would you use to back this up?

Importance to the team and overall ability. I picked the 4 best keepers in the world, rooney doesnt even rank top 25 in the world so therefore they are better

Importance to the team and overall ability. I picked the 4 best keepers in the world, rooney doesnt even rank top 25 in the world so therefore they are better

your right rooney does not rank in the top 25 goal keepers in the world, so you do know a bit more than you seem to be demonstrating on here, thats encouraging at least.

Anyway your fighting and losing a very pointless battle, Rooney plays for one of the top teams in the world, and is managed and loved by arguably the greatest manager to ever exist, those two things alone throw your argument completely out the window for me.

Rooney's workrate is more important to the team than his goal scoring abilities. I know he's labeled as a striker, but how often do you see him just sitting up there. I mean how many times did you see Henry, Ronaldo, Torres, etc. running back and helping out the defense and the midfield.

Rooney's overall workrate and his general style of play and match performances make him world class. It's not just about scoring goals. I'll say it, he's not a world class striker, but he's a world class player.

This jbutton is too stupid to keep responding to. Why are Premier League stats the only ones that count?. Like I said, if the top managers in the world count him as world class Im gonna take their opinion more seriously than yours and that arrogant, overated little knob Ballotelli.

I LMFAO at this. Just shows his grasp on things. I suggest we just all ignore him now because he is obviously a ****** who is just trying to get a rise out of people because no one can be THAT stupid. Or can they.

This jbutton is too stupid to keep responding to. Why are Premier League stats the only ones that count?. Like I said, if the top managers in the world count him as world class Im gonna take their opinion more seriously than yours and that arrogant, overated little knob Ballotelli.

Because its easier to score in the Fa Cup and Carling Cup than it is in the premier league...

Ballotelli doesnt seem to be overrated by Mancini, therefore he is not overrated.

But some attributes get overrated due to the importance of them on the match engine for that specific position.

Without wanting to beat on the "dead horse", Rooney has 16 of pace and he never really looked to me as someone particularly fast, Bale only has 14 Pace for instance..

That's why(without particularly pointing at Rooney) i feel that some players from top clubs get their attributes boosted a little just because they are important on the match engine without actually reflecting real life..

your right rooney does not rank in the top 25 goal keepers in the world, so you do know a bit more than you seem to be demonstrating on here, thats encouraging at least.

Anyway your fighting and losing a very pointless battle, Rooney plays for one of the top teams in the world, and is managed and loved by arguably the greatest manager to ever exist, those two things alone throw your argument completely out the window for me.

John O'shea plays for Manchester United as does Wes Brown, therefore they are in top players in the world? No.

I said Top 25 players, not goalkeepers...

SAF is not the greatest manager ever.

Rooney's workrate is more important to the team than his goal scoring abilities. I know he's labeled as a striker, but how often do you see him just sitting up there. I mean how many times did you see Henry, Ronaldo, Torres, etc. running back and helping out the defense and the midfield.

Rooney's overall workrate and his general style of play and match performances make him world class. It's not just about scoring goals. I'll say it, he's not a world class striker, but he's a world class player.

SAF even says himself, a striker's ability should be rated on the amount of goals he scores. Rooney workrate is phenomenal but there are others such as Tevez whos is equally as good. Hes a very good player, but hes not world class

John O'shea plays for Manchester United as does Wes Brown, therefore they are in top players in the world? No.

I said Top 25 players, not goalkeepers...

SAF is not the greatest manager ever.

neither of them are first team regulars and neither have been handed huge contracts man u only hand to world class players, anyway both would get a game for 90% of the EPL teams.

No you mentioned goal keepers then said rooney is not in the top 25, please re-read your post.

Meh each to their own, he is one of the most successful managers in the history of European football, for me that puts him pretty close to the top, he is widely regarded as perhaps one of the best of all time, again ill take the opinion of people who actually know something about football over your trolling.

Judging Rooney based solely on goals shows how limited this Mr. Button's footballing knowledge is. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt though, he's only 16 and very likely a bitter Liverpool fan.

Oh and by the way, Rooney's only started 18 games for United in the past 10 months (14 this season). He's scored 3 goals in that time. Hardly as woeful and abysmal as Mr. Button and others are making out.

Have you seen how poor Sneijder's been this season. He's played the same amount of games as Rooney, but he hasn't scored even a goal in Serie A! OMG he must be so overrated!! :rolleyes:

Because its easier to score in the Fa Cup and Carling Cup than it is in the premier league...

Ballotelli doesnt seem to be overrated by Mancini, therefore he is not overrated.

Um, what about Champions League you moron. And Wayne Rooney isnt overated by SAF so he ust not be right?. Comparing Ballotelli to Rooney you joker.

Judging Rooney based solely on goals shows how limited this Mr. Button's footballing knowledge is. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt though, he's only 16 and very likely a bitter Liverpool fan.

Oh and by the way, Rooney's only started 18 games for United in the past 10 months (14 this season). He's scored 3 goals in that time. Hardly as woeful and abysmal as Mr. Button and others are making out.

Have you seen how poor Sneijder's been this season. He's played the same amount of games as Rooney, but he hasn't scored even a goal in Serie A! OMG he must be so overrated!! :rolleyes:

believe sneijder is overrated.. Many AMC's that's a lot better than him on many things, good longshot, I'll give him that. Other than this many can be compared..

Many people overrates their own nationalteam in hopes to win something. England belive they have the greatest, Spain, Italy, Germany. Know people from Portugal that have their hopes on EC and WC. Even Swedish media believe we will have a chance on these!!

The truth is everyone has a chance, from Ghana to Greece.

In my opinion the best nationals cant be compared individually, just as a team. Therefore is England only in like fifth or sixth place in my rankings...

Andy Carroll is underrated on the game. He should be so much better, if not his current stats then his potential should be.

I totally agree, and this is not based on 6 good months in the premier league, but the way he played last season. But if you re-watch some of the goals he scored this season, especially against Villa, then it is obious the guy has much better technique than he has in game, and also slightly higher Workrate/team work. I think he should have atleast 5 more pa pts.

believe sneijder is overrated.. Many AMC's that's a lot better than him on many things, good longshot, I'll give him that. Other than this many can be compared..

Many people overrates their own nationalteam in hopes to win something. England belive they have the greatest, Spain, Italy, Germany. Know people from Portugal that have their hopes on EC and WC. Even Swedish media believe we will have a chance on these!!

The truth is everyone has a chance, from Ghana to Greece.

In my opinion the best nationals cant be compared individually, just as a team. Therefore is England only in like fifth or sixth place in my rankings...

I disagree....but I'm a little biased because sneijder is my favorite mid :p

I disagree....but I'm a little biased because sneijder is my favorite mid :p

well then, that's your personal opinion.. I believe Ibra is the best striker in the world but I'm swedish so I'm a bit partial about that.. But I would rather have him in my team than Rooney. Would choose many before Rooney so I believe he's overrated too.. He's hard working, decent technique, decent pace.. Can be unfocused in finishing situations. Ibra nr 1 and then a couple of players, Shrek aybe ranked nr 5 or 6 among strikers for me..

well then, that's your personal opinion.. I believe Ibra is the best striker in the world but I'm swedish so I'm a bit partial about that.. But I would rather have him in my team than Rooney. Would choose many before Rooney so I believe he's overrated too.. He's hard working, decent technique, decent pace.. Can be unfocused in finishing situations. Ibra nr 1 and then a couple of players, Shrek aybe ranked nr 5 or 6 among strikers for me..

Ha ibra not even close to been number 1 striker in world everything you described rooney as there well ibra is the opposite lazy/slow/not a great finisher just pops up with a spectacular now and again the likes of eto'o villa drogba are all way better as all round strikers

Ha ibra not even close to been number 1 striker in world everything you described rooney as there well ibra is the opposite lazy/slow/not a great finisher just pops up with a spectacular now and again the likes of eto'o villa drogba are all way better as all round strikers

whereas i agree ibra is not the best in the world he is a fantastic finisher, he has a very good record for scoring goals at the top level for a number of seasons, i wouldnt say you could tar him with that brush so to speak.

whereas i agree ibra is not the best in the world he is a fantastic finisher, he has a very good record for scoring goals at the top level for a number of seasons, i wouldn't say you could tar him with that brush so to speak.

Dont get me wrong technically and skillfully hes 2nd to none but i think you see him have more poor games then good like i say i'd have villa drogba or eto'o over him any day :)

Dont get me wrong technically and skillfully hes 2nd to none but i think you see him have more poor games then good like i say i'd have villa drogba or eto'o over him any day :)

oh yeah definately i would much rather have either of them over him, although Drogba has been poor this season. I think of him and Berbatov being very similar, only this season the berb has really pulled himself together.

oh yeah definately i would much rather have either of them over him, although Drogba has been poor this season. I think of him and Berbatov being very similar, only this season the berb has really pulled himself together.

Luciano becchio is better then them all ;)

that's why I rate Rooney as nr 5 or 6.. Drogba, Villa, Eto'o are way ahead of shrek.. Like I said I'm partial, he (Ibra) comes from the city I live in and have watched him turn out to a great player..

My dream was to have Ibra and Raúl in Real when I was young, think they had been the perfect match ;)

Never cared for Berb by the way, Agüero and many younger players in the world is better.. Would even take Chamack or Lukaku over him :)

the berb can do amazing things on his day, i struggle to think of any one else who can pull of some of the flicks and tricks he does at time, if he had been more consistant over the past few years he could have been world class, just too lazy half the time, i would say ibra is very much in the same boat, capable of incredible things on his day but too often just misses parts of seasons form wise.

ah so your a man city fan then, kinda explains it now.

No, im a leeds fan. Im not biased against United as i feel they have the best defence in the world and i couldnt say a bad word about Vidic or Ferdinand.

@Tha Truth, i know Rooney is better than Balotelli but Mario is a fantastic player his downfall is his terrible consistency.

If Rooney could play consistanty as he did last season he'd be in the top 5 players in the world, without a doubt, but his consistency as his finishing ability let him down

the berb can do amazing things on his day, i struggle to think of any one else who can pull of some of the flicks and tricks he does at time, if he had been more consistant over the past few years he could have been world class, just too lazy half the time, i would say ibra is very much in the same boat, capable of incredible things on his day but too often just misses parts of seasons form wise.

always thought berb is one of the most overrated players, although he's improved under sir alex but what Ibra can do with the ball Berb can only dream of. Think Ibra's teamwork has improved significantly since his time in Inter and Barca.. He's more consistant now. Last goal against Lecce is not terrible ;)

always thought berb is one of the most overrated players, although he's improved under sir alex but what Ibra can do with the ball Berb can only dream of. Think Ibra's teamwork has improved significantly since his time in Inter and Barca.. He's more consistant now. Last goal against Lecce is not terrible ;)

nah i would say they are pretty even when it comes to that, have you seen much of berb this season? he has been untouchable at times. plus the berb has really upped his team work ethic this season, btw im not putting down ibra, still a great great player!!

No, im a leeds fan. Im not biased against United as i feel they have the best defence in the world and i couldnt say a bad word about Vidic or Ferdinand.

@Tha Truth, i know Rooney is better than Balotelli but Mario is a fantastic player his downfall is his terrible consistency.

If Rooney could play consistanty as he did last season he'd be in the top 5 players in the world, without a doubt, but his consistency as his finishing ability let him down

you've changed your opinion over night.....

Berbatov was better at Spurs because he played regulary, he only seems average now because he doesnt play much and rarely pulls off anything magical because he doesnt get enough game time, but he has played very well this season, shades of his form at spurs are coming back!

May i remind you about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxJ9wdXXbwY I dont think Ibra would have done that!

Berbatov was better at Spurs because he played regulary, he only seems average now because he doesnt play much and rarely pulls off anything magical because he doesnt get enough game time, but he has played very well this season, shades of his form at spurs are coming back!

May i remind you about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxJ9wdXXbwY I dont think Ibra would have done that!

he starts almost every game for man u.......

nah i would say they are pretty even when it comes to that, have you seen much of berb this season? he has been untouchable at times. plus the berb has really upped his team work ethic this season, btw im not putting down ibra, still a great great player!!

not seen him as much as i wanted, tv licences are getting thrown around here in sweden, the companies can't keep their tv rights, it's too expensive, but I've seen as much so I can agree on his teamwork has improved and his consistency overall when he came to man u. He's improving his status right now for me, but still.. Not even close to Ibra techniqually.. Ibra and Ronaldinho, outstanding. Zidane and C.Ronaldo had/has their moves, Messi best technique in ultraspeed :)

Haven't seen much of J. Rodwell irl so I have to ask.. Is he as good as he was predicted in FM 10...?

Not every game, and he is used as a sub or is subbed most games.

i never said every game i said most games, the only games he doesnt start is when fergie plays a different system, he is one of man u's most important players this season, christ you really dont know that much about football do you.

not seen him as much as i wanted, tv licences are getting thrown around here in sweden, the companies can't keep their tv rights, it's too expensive, but I've seen as much so I can agree on his teamwork has improved and his consistency overall when he came to man u. He's improving his status right now for me, but still.. Not even close to Ibra techniqually.. Ibra and Ronaldinho, outstanding. Zidane and C.Ronaldo had/has their moves, Messi best technique in ultraspeed :)

Haven't seen much of J. Rodwell irl so I have to ask.. Is he as good as he was predicted in FM 10...?

Rodwell looks like he will be fantastic, not sure if he is good as the game makes him out at the moment tho.

I really do think ibra and the berb are very similar in terms of quality but as you say hes a local hero for you there is no comparison, and i respect that, the dons used to have a player Eion Jess, for me he is still a god, even if i know he wasnt as good as i think!

Not every game, and he is used as a sub or is subbed most games.

Little from Ibra's time in Ajax a couple of years ago, does similar thing as Berb did in your vid about 4-5 times... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yObIYDOv1Qc&feature=related

;) There's million of vid's of Ibra on youtube. Can sit for hours and just enjoy wonderful football.. Night guy's..

i never said every game i said most games, the only games he doesnt start is when fergie plays a different system, he is one of man u's most important players this season, christ you really dont know that much about football do you.

I said this season he has played more and been a better player, moron.

Well if people think Eric Abidal is better than Ashley Cole, I'm done on the subject of overrated players.

On underrated players though, Luka Modric's finishing should be a lot better in-game. Why it's so low baffles me because he was actually a fairly good goalscorer last year.

Well if people think Eric Abidal is better than Ashley Cole, I'm done on the subject of overrated players.

On underrated players though, Luka Modric's finishing should be a lot better in-game. Why it's so low baffles me because he was actually a fairly good goalscorer last year.

He scored 3 goals in 33 games last season, hardly a good record :rolleyes:

Those who think that Ibrahimovich is overrated and that he is not in the best 3 strikers in the world should get their head examined. He is very improved this season, especially his determination, work rate and team work and has scored some magical goals. He should be improved in the game in the areas that i mentioned.

As for overrated in the game Higuain. is he really a world class finisher on level with Vila, Raul and others?

Those who think that Ibrahimovich is overrated and that he is not in the best 3 strikers in the world should get their head examined. He is very improved this season, especially his determination, work rate and team work and has scored some magical goals. He should be improved in the game in the areas that i mentioned.

As for overrated in the game Higuain. is he really a world class finisher on level with Vila, Raul and others?

Well whats ibra done that higuain has't recently ?? yeah ibra scores some great goals and is very skillfull but the rest of his play leaves alot to be desired

Archived