Mr Hough 4-1-2-3 FM11.2 Tactic and Discussion

You just lack knowledge if you can't win the league with said clubs. I am serious here.

By the way you have one of the best youngsters in U20 Inter squad. Plus Inter does have money for transfers and finding -9PA players is not such big problem ;).

As for not all tactics working, I have been there on FM2005. I relegated Man Utd from league because back then I was tactically inept and didn't knew what the hell to do with sliders and all that. You learn from failures :D. Nowadays, thanks to the introduction of Tactical Creator, game is easier to grasp even for newbies.

So far testing 10.3 Classic with Everton and imo it's much more solid than this new tactic O_o. Weird.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr hough i have a sugestion for you maybe it will give you a better defence against fullbacks and maybe a better offense also .I dont want you to teach you or something like that :) im a newbie compared to you but this could be interesting its something that i recently found.The sugestion is about using 3 forwards wider as posible,instead of STCL and STCR use STL STR(not amr and aml) with instructions to mark respective fullbacks,for me it does wonders.ALso when using wider forwards u have so much space in centre of the park just try and see maybe will boost your tactic even moore.

You just lack knowledge if you can't win the league with said clubs. I am serious here.

By the way you have one of the best youngsters in U20 Inter squad. Plus Inter does have money for transfers and finding -9PA players is not such big problem ;).

As for not all tactics working, I have been there on FM2005. I relegated Man Utd from league because back then I was tactically inept and didn't knew what the hell to do with sliders and all that. You learn from failures :D. Nowadays, thanks to the introduction of Tactical Creator, game is easier to grasp even for newbies.

So far testing 10.3 Classic with Everton and imo it's much more solid than this new tactic O_o. Weird.

It's not about winning the domestic league. It's pretty easy with Inter even with my tactics. It's about how the team performs when playing derbies (Milan, Juve, Atlanta etc) and about consistency.

your setting yourself up for the **** to be took out of you, if you think logical, your team has played ur tactic for all those games and then all of a sudden youv changed to this tactic, so they wont be fully up to speed with the tactic, give it a chance

actually i change tactics very frequently and even within a game.... depending ao the opponents. but no worries, 2nd game with this tac and won it 5-1!

Sorry, but such posts make me laugh. With Inter any tactic will do great. Anyone tested it with let's say Stafford Rangers? Accarington Stanley? Not only big clubs which can buy players needed?

I would test it, but cba at the moment :0. Don't take it as personal attack though, as I know last year MrH produced amazing tactic (which still works on FM11 without tweaking :D).

I have to agree, all I see is people saying how great it is with Man U, Man C, Inter, Liverpool, Barcelona, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. I tried starting a new game with Derby County and bought in the good free transfers available which pretty much made me the best team in the league and with one of the old Mr Hough tactics I walked the league getting over 100 points. I tried with this tactic with exactly the same players and team and I quit half way through the season, I was 3rd and doing ok but no where near the success the other brought me and the football was bad, very little possession and really struggled to score goals, got lots of draws and 1 goal wins.

Then tried it with AFC Wimbledon in blue square with no signings and got bashed, used it for 15 games and I was 8th. Same team and players with another tactic which I wont bring up the name and after 15 games I was top with 12 wins 2 draws and 1 loss and won one game 7-1.

But yeah its brill with Man Utd but if you play with lesser teams Id say his old tactics work better on fm11 than pretty much anything if you want consistancy.

I have to agree, all I see is people saying how great it is with Man U, Man C, Inter, Liverpool, Barcelona, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. I tried starting a new game with Derby County and bought in the good free transfers available which pretty much made me the best team in the league and with one of the old Mr Hough tactics I walked the league getting over 100 points. I tried with this tactic with exactly the same players and team and I quit half way through the season, I was 3rd and doing ok but no where near the success the other brought me and the football was bad, very little possession and really struggled to score goals, got lots of draws and 1 goal wins.

Then tried it with AFC Wimbledon in blue square with no signings and got bashed, used it for 15 games and I was 8th. Same team and players with another tactic which I wont bring up the name and after 15 games I was top with 12 wins 2 draws and 1 loss and won one game 7-1.

But yeah its brill with Man Utd but if you play with lesser teams Id say his old tactics work better on fm11 than pretty much anything if you want consistancy.

I proberly should have tested it lower league before i released it. What is this tactic you tried, The one taht you used with Wimbledon and which of my older tactics did you use?

i have been using it with blackpool and having great success, i have been posting as iv been going along, im eighth at the moment, just got beat by chelsea in the semis of the league cup 5-4 on agg, i am so close to 6th place and if i can keep it up i'll qualify for europe, media prediction 20th, surely that must count for something

To all the people that are saying this tactic only works with top teams, give it a rest. I already posted results with West Ham of my 1st season. Predicted to finish 15th and i finished 3rd and won the FA cup. Currently on my 2nd season and topping the premier league and advanced through the group stage of the CL. Granted West Ham isn't a BSP team, but it sure as hell ain't a top team. So YES, this does work with smaller teams as well.

West Ham United? They can be made awesome with money they get :p.

To person above that loss vs Birmingham sure is HUGE.

Plus you lost to Stoke away and to Wolves at your ground (yeh they overrated on FM).

Then out of the blue you beat Man City, Aston Villa and Fulham which are way more powerful then Blackpool.

Irrationable and hard to explain O_o.

no offence intended but rather than bore the tits of me going on about what teams are good and not, any chance we can get back on topic and help dave improve this tactic or give constructive feed back, im no good at making tactics so i cant help but surely other people can, i try making tactics but as soon as i lose 1 game i crack up and go mad, i havnt got the patience lol, god knows how my blackpool game has survived so long lol

I proberly should have tested it lower league before i released it. What is this tactic you tried, The one taht you used with Wimbledon and which of my older tactics did you use?

Mentioned it before but didnt want to hijack your thread by talking of other tactics. The one I used for Derby and won the league easily with I think was your complete domination tactic but also found 10.2 everton and AVB Mod or whatever its called works well also. The wimbledon save was frankies blitz. Ill have to load up my save and see which of your old tactics it was that walked the championship as im not 100% sure now.

no offence intended but rather than bore the tits of me going on about what teams are good and not, any chance we can get back on topic and help dave improve this tactic or give constructive feed back, im no good at making tactics so i cant help but surely other people can, i try making tactics but as soon as i lose 1 game i crack up and go mad, i havnt got the patience lol, god knows how my blackpool game has survived so long lol

Haha I know mate ;). Back on topic now.

Found out something maybe Hough will try out. Maybe it's worth trying. Select DL, DC, DC, DR central FC and click mentality so it goes to Team Settings. I found out this gives me greater stability. As weird as it may seem it seems to work. Also make sure to make central FC Run from deep often.

Second thing this year Slow tempo just does not seem to work that well, moving it to quick or normal/quick can give it huge boost -> this I am testing.

Changing MCs to Run from Deep Sometimes -> hmm. Good idea? ;)

About losing and quitting games yeh I feel the same sometimes, when you lose the game you should have won easily. Well time to live with it ;).

Mr Hough - great work and hugely appreciated.

I started a game unemployed when you released this and managed to get the Liverpool job. In over 50 games, I've only lost 5 and pretty much dominated the rest. Defence solid, attack firing and midfield doing better than expected. Seems to work just fine for the big boys.

I then started a game with my beloved Crystal Palace last night and ok, they have a dog rough squad that doesn't entirely meet your player requirements in opening post, but I've struggled a fair bit with Palace using this tactic. I think I read in a post above you mentioning more testing with lower league teams should have been done, so this is just to highlight that if the players aren't the greatest, the tactic does struggle slightly. Positive feedback, not moaning or having a pop at you mate.

My players also seem to tire so so easily. I've been playing about with my schedules to try and get them right like a man possessed, so would be interested in hearing what schedules you use and whether this plays any part in how well the tactic performs.

Great work so far though sir.

Haha I know mate ;). Back on topic now.

Found out something maybe Hough will try out. Maybe it's worth trying. Select DL, DC, DC, DR central FC and click mentality so it goes to Team Settings. I found out this gives me greater stability. As weird as it may seem it seems to work. Also make sure to make central FC Run from deep often.

Second thing this year Slow tempo just does not seem to work that well, moving it to quick or normal/quick can give it huge boost -> this I am testing.

Changing MCs to Run from Deep Sometimes -> hmm. Good idea? ;)

About losing and quitting games yeh I feel the same sometimes, when you lose the game you should have won easily. Well time to live with it ;).

Good man thank you, i messed the team talks up, im only used to playing with big teams so i know what to say with them, this is my first attempt at a weak team, i was going mad after the birginham game, i cant remember if its on there i beat chelsea then got stuffed by blackburn,i thought that would be easy lol, since iv let my ass manager do the team talks iv become better, if i can finish in the top half i'll be chuffed to bits seeing as its the first time iv played with a weaker team.

i might give these tweaks a try aswell, might push my team even further, thanks.

Mentioned it before but didnt want to hijack your thread by talking of other tactics. The one I used for Derby and won the league easily with I think was your complete domination tactic but also found 10.2 everton and AVB Mod or whatever its called works well also. The wimbledon save was frankies blitz. Ill have to load up my save and see which of your old tactics it was that walked the championship as im not 100% sure now.

Ok just checked and it was the 10.2 complete dominance 4-1-2-1-2 I used and it was excellent.

Mr Hough - great work and hugely appreciated.

I started a game unemployed when you released this and managed to get the Liverpool job. In over 50 games, I've only lost 5 and pretty much dominated the rest. Defence solid, attack firing and midfield doing better than expected. Seems to work just fine for the big boys.

I then started a game with my beloved Crystal Palace last night and ok, they have a dog rough squad that doesn't entirely meet your player requirements in opening post, but I've struggled a fair bit with Palace using this tactic. I think I read in a post above you mentioning more testing with lower league teams should have been done, so this is just to highlight that if the players aren't the greatest, the tactic does struggle slightly. Positive feedback, not moaning or having a pop at you mate.

My players also seem to tire so so easily. I've been playing about with my schedules to try and get them right like a man possessed, so would be interested in hearing what schedules you use and whether this plays any part in how well the tactic performs.

Great work so far though sir.

I had noticed that my players seem to tire like mad, I thought it might be down to there fitness levels and training more than anything though.

I'll have a look at this aswell

To person above that loss vs Birmingham sure is HUGE.

Plus you lost to Stoke away and to Wolves at your ground (yeh they overrated on FM).

Then out of the blue you beat Man City, Aston Villa and Fulham which are way more powerful then Blackpool.

Irrationable and hard to explain O_o.

Learn to read my post then. I said i only signed Leagh Grifiths. Plust West ham Starts with a ****** budget. So get your facts straight.

Hello Mr. Hough, I am Brazilian and I apologize for my bad English.

Use your tactics for 2 days and had impressive results.

I would like permission to post the tactic in a Brazilian forum with proper source and substance, of course. Can I do?

The site is www.fmanager.com.br / forum

Yeah no worries, As long as you give me the credit for making it.

This tactic is fantastic at home and am winning games 4-0, 6-0 etc but away from home I am getting god awful results, I am getting 15+ chances, 4-5 on target, hitting posts all over and oppostion keepers are phenomenal but can not score even with a forward line of Ruiz, Torres and Barrios (with Kadlec and Babacar on bench). Lost away to Dnipro, Spurs, Sunderland - how do I get my strikers to be more efficient?

Hello Mr Hough!

Just finished 2010/11 season with Sunderland using your tactic and I'm very pleased! Came 3rd in the league and won the League cup, got dumped out FA cup when I cheekily tried playing my 2nd team/ youths, so that'll teach me!

For anyone thats interested I'm using woifsongs teamtalk guide and I've posted some pics of my season over on FM base as I couldn't work out how to do it here!

Thanks for sharing this Mr Hough, I'll let you know how next season goes if you're interested

Congrats on making another super tactic. I tried many tactics but this really blows everything else out of the water. When it comes to building and managing a team i am truly a perfectionist, on the tactical part i am not so good and thats why i try the best tactics out there and this one so far has given me the most consistent results.

For people that complain, they should realize that this years FM is trying hard to be realistic. This means that if you have bad players you will lose more games then you would like to. This tactic works good with top teams wich is for the obvious reason that they have the means to buy quality players suited for this tactic. Still i used tactics that still lost me more games then i would like to with these same top players but with this tactic the results are consistent. So the bs argument that playing a topteam is easy with any tactic doesent count anymore, it actually is a better testing ground then playing with a low rep team.

Some advice to get better results and consistency:

-Try to get better players then the opposition in your current league

-Use match prep to your advantage :

1) attacking movement vs lower teams,

2) defensive positioning or attacking set pieces vs equal,rival or better teams

3) attacking set pieces helps a lot against rivals and better teams overall because more often then not you will be up against a highly motivated super keeper, he will be able to save regular shots but you will get many corners and if you

have a good header CB then that keeper will have a hard time saving those

4) use team blend in the first 3 months when you have many new signings, results might not be as consistent however

-Give the players time to adapt to the tactic, for me it took a long time to get fluid in all areas but when you reach that it will give a massive boost to consistency

-Talk to your players, anyone under 6 i tell them "unacceptable performance, expect better", man of the match receives praise usually i say "impressed, keep it up", for truly fantastic performers, players with +9 score i say that they are my key player right now.

-Do not rely on assistant manager teamtalks blindly as there is no better teamtalk then the ones you do yourself, take note of the assistant manager's feedback and watch out for overconfidence in your team, this happens against weaker teams then you and usually i then say "i expect a win" or "expect a performance" or "pick up where you left off"

-Never use opposing instructions, they do more bad then good

-This is rare in top leagues but in lower divisions it can help to point out a opposing team player as a weak link, particular attributes to watch out for are determination, bravery, composure

Hope this helps.

what do you tweak for away games? This tactic works like a treat for home games...but away I have high ccs but I always concede i.e. I play vs Spurs at home, beat them 3-0, play them away, they beat me 4-1

This seems to be happening quite a lot :S

I couldn't read the whole topic so apologies if this has been asked before

to Mr. Hough or anybody that has tested this tactic:

Suppose you manage a team with limited finances that only allow you to sign 2-3 players. Which positions would you sign 2-3 players for?

In other words which positions are the most important for this tactic to work?

Which positions is the cog in the wheel for this tactic?

thanks for your time and your input

ok i have look at this last few posts and think the problem is away games, so instead of trying to create a new tactic altogether i will look at making this more defensive in away games only.

Cheers Mr Hough - I love this tactic, and was really hoping you would decide to better it. I made 2 tweaks..and they seem to help sort of, but for a weak side vs a strong side..it's still jittery. Looking forward to what you come up with!

Mate, for me it's not problem away games, although defence could get better/fullbacks maybe.

Don't get me wrong..this tactic is epic - but I've just had the experience that away games it doesn't deliver -- the CCs are there, attacking moves are there...but the defense seems to just let through plays that it doesn't at home games. Ofc if you play as a strong team this probably doesn't happen to you, but try it with a team like Wolves/Birmingham and you will notice that away games it is tougher to actually convert your CCs and you concede a lot more. I will continue tweaking with the mentality/width to see if anything changes (though imo width needs to remain narrow as you are playing short passes).

Let's see what the man himself comes up with :)

Been faring better now that the side seems to be getting used to the tactics, side is playing much better every game but the defence is way too leaky and it's horrendous for home games, away matches it played excellent, beat Rushden 7-1 and Torquay 6-1, both away from home

Home: Played 9, Won 1, Drawn 4, Lost 4, For 11, Against 16

Away: Played 10, Won 8, Drawn 0, Lost 2, For 30, Against 12

Been really unlucky during some games, not conceding from corners, had countless chances but because the match engine decides strikers are now not allowed to score and blast it 40 yards wide from 6 yards out, I've dropped points

It's getting there slowly but considering a few posters are saying how well it's playing for them at home instead of away, yet it's doing the opposite for myself, I'm a bit confused again

Mate, for me it's not problem away games, although defence could get better/fullbacks maybe.

The same here. Just destroyed Fiorentina (3rd) away from home with 6-0! And if you add that Frey is playing like semi-god in the derbies. Everytime he makes some hyper mega freak saves. Remember you can't win every game with 4+ goals. :cool:

What changes have you made Dave ?

Lower the fullbacks closing down to 1 notch above own Area.

Lowered Central Midfielders CF to last notch of Little

Changed the Central Midfielders and Strikers Passing to the First Notch of Direct.

Lowered all Strikers CF to the lowest possible setting.

Tempo and Width the last notch of Normal.

Thats it i think.

Archived