dafuge's FM11 challenge

Not sure about my squad for this League 1 campaign. Really struggled to make any good signings this summer and have a lot of players who I used in the BSP! Almost managed to sign a fantastic Argentine goalie, but it fell through when he couldn't get a work permit. And I haven't found the calibre of youngsters that I hoped to. But I have got Julio Arca, Kem Izzet, Rob Earnshaw and Adam Le Fondre to strengthen areas where I was weak last season. We should be more solid, but i'm not hopeful for the fantastic promotion campaigns of the past few years.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 1st 2014 - Hastings - BSP - 8th

I almost screwed up my first season in the BSP by mistaking FM11 for FM10. In FM10 I shunned wingers as I found them to be completely ineffective. In FM11 they are essential - it took a step up to realise this but hey ho.

After struggling to do anything but draw with a 4-1-3-2 formation I temporarily switched to a 3-2-2-1-2 formation (which worked for one game) and have now, after much though, settled on a 4-1-2-2-1. This has really paid dividends and the team has shot up the league to within 2 points of the playoff places. Helped by our fantastic keeper Andy Flowers and with Fabio Borini rediscovering his form the team is playing really well.

No idea if it will last until the end of the season - I desperately need to bring in an AMR as the two that I have aren't great - my AML Hennessey (as you can see from the formation is not AML) is playing well above himself so he can keep playing there until he fails.

Few issues this season, I can't sell players - full stop. Players don't take criticism, even if they average 5.6 for the past 5 games they are still blind to their failure. I have too many strikers.

sig.php?u=10184

Here we go......

The Chippenham Town board have announced the appoinment of Dan Stevens as the clubs new manager.

Start of season expectations

Initial Team Report

The squad seems quite strong but vastly overpaid in terms of some players being on £250 and above which is a bit steep for my liking. I have stated that I will avoid relegation giving me a budget of 4.5k a week for wages with the club currently spending just short of 3k a week.

Wish list:

• New Advanced forward
  • New wingers
  • New centre half
  • New Goalkeeper
  • New MCd depending on wage budget

Time to get scouting!

sig.php?u=10444

Post your cup runs with your season updates...your driving me mad doing so well :(

I'm struggling, I just dont know what's wrong at the moment...conceding goals and I cant score, my strikers have "very poor" morale :(

Following Promotion we are Currently sitting 7th in League 2 after 18 games,

Far exceeding expectations for 1st season in the football league, have been taught a couple of harsh lessons along the way but hope we can continue to over achieve for the rest of the season

Trying to be positive at every venture, even when I lose i sympathise...Dont know whats wrong with them to be honest.

If you're struggling, hire an ass man with high motivation and have him do the team talks. I generally lay off the criticism and heap on the praise when it's deserved. But some players probably do need a kick up the arse sometimes.

Started out as FC United. Struggling to find an ass. man and scout I'm happy with. Not expecting to sign players as I want to try the existing players out and scout targets properly. I plan to play long ball from the back and a high pressing game in the oppositions half as I'd expect the ball to turn over a lot and rather there than my own half. Goal is to establish the team in this division and build on that.

Can i be first to accuse jordanswinburn of cheating? :D

Genuinely impossible to achieve what he has so far, and i'm being completely serious.

I mean, does anyone actually believe that he won the FA Cup in only the third season (and three-successive promotions to boot!)

Feel free to prove me wrong, just seems a bit far-fetched to me :D

The 4th round FA cup tie was replayed. He had originally gone out to Wigan. His step-dad stepped on the power cord while cleaning and he lost 4 games. He posted complaining about losing points in 2/3 of the games he had to replay, but that at least he got another chance against Wigan. It's post #1381 on page 14. He even posted at that time that if he won it would feel empty. Obviously that has changed. As I mentioned in a subsequent post in I've since stopped following his game.

As you mentioned, to each their own as far as to how you play the challenge. I can't force anyone to not replay games, not use the editor, or not use things like corner exploits. I just don't follow these games that replay game-changing games or otherwise seem too good to be true (ex: tactics that break the ME) . There are probably people who win everything back to back perfectly legitimately and thats great, but it is not interesting and I don't usually follow those as much either. I won't be commenting any further on this issue, but I did want the facts out there.

Nobody will accuse me of cheating. I can't for the life of me get my Hastings team in the BSP to stop conceding late goals and drawing games that we dominate.

If anybody has any suggestions at all as to how to effectively close out in FM11 I'm all ears. I don't usually concede before the 75th minute but even with a bank of 4 defending with an anchor man we always struggle to contain.

It's all the more frustrating as we're 8th and separated from 1st by 6 points but have drawn 11 games this season. 7/8 of those were dominated by me.

For reference I'm playing a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic and switching from counter to defensive at about 75 minutes and to contain at around 83 minutes.

Nobody will accuse me of cheating. I can't for the life of me get my Hastings team in the BSP to stop conceding late goals and drawing games that we dominate.

If anybody has any suggestions at all as to how to effectively close out in FM11 I'm all ears. I don't usually concede before the 75th minute but even with a bank of 4 defending with an anchor man we always struggle to contain.

It's all the more frustrating as we're 8th and separated from 1st by 6 points but have drawn 11 games this season. 7/8 of those were dominated by me.

For reference I'm playing a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic and switching from counter to defensive at about 75 minutes and to contain at around 83 minutes.

Try read the update i did on last season, and see if you can use some of that. ow, and i play a standard 4-4-2

After quite a poor season for Bagshaw last year I lost hope with him but now I can see why Terk is obsessed with him.

5 goals in 3 games in the BSP and I was thinking about selling him before the season started. Probably jinxed him now though but fingers crossed he continues....

Reading through some of the past updates, it does look like Ridleys may possibly be on to something. Oh well.

You know, I'm growing THAT tired of the odd few of you accusing when I'm just getting lucky, that I'm seriously considering starting a new game. The fun's slowly but surely getting sucked out of this one with all this. Gotta be honest.

Banbury

Chesham

Chippenham

Evesham

Leamington

Colwyn Bay

Kendal Town

Nantwich

Ridleys, DanG, anyone... Pick one for me.

I always stuggled with this in past FMs as well. I'm trying something new this year. Instead of going defensive while leading, I'm sticking to "control" against weaker sides, and still using "counter" against better sides than me. I've noticed that any time I go defensive, sub a striker for an additional midfielder, or "retain possession" or "time-wasting", I almost always conceed.

I think this is because I'm inviting extra pressure and with the quality of players I still have, eventually we make an error and they capitalize. If I stay attacking, I keep the pressure on and they are more likely to make the mistake. In addition, if they manage to score and even it, I then still have my attacking options available to regain the lead, rather than wait for them to score the 2nd.

It is still too early in my game to know for sure this is working. I'm still conceding some late goals. However, I seem to be scoring more late goals of my own.

Season 2011/12 Review - FC United in the Blue Square North - 4th

League Table

Past Positions

Finances

Terrible start, but a great comeback after all. Next to that we almost threw away our chances for playoff by losing and drawing a lot of our last games. Eshan Zamani and Nathan Rooney did just great in midfield, problems were found in the back of our team; pointing at the defenders and goalkeeper. I know it is easy, but it is a fact. So there will be some change for sure. Still not really happy with the tactics I use, but atm holding on to my 4-3-1-2, which worked for me in the fm10 dafuge challenge. Most prob. it doesnt work yet because of the wrong kind of players.

FA Cup | FA Trophy

Oh my god, do I really want to talk about our cup run. It was awfull. The FA Cup ended quite soon ending in the 4th Rnd losing to Grimsby. The FA Trophy was even worser, losing in the 3rd round to Altrincham. Really, really want to end in the semi or final next season. For fun I would love to play a big Premiership team next season in the FA Cup.

Squad

Transfers

As mention earlier, I had Zamani and Rooney as midfield couple. Next to that loved Risamasu, Keane and Henderson.

Players:

Best defender this season (mine pov):

- Jeff Henderson

Best midfielder this season (mine pov):

- Eshan Zamani

Best attacker this season (mine pov):

- Adi Yussuf

Player of the season (mine pov):

- Eshan Zamani

Youngsters:

No youngsters here, signed a couple great talents but not good enough to make it in the first eleven. So kinda giving the money for nothing atm ;)

Aim for next season:

Subtop. With the transfers allready made, eh call it free transfers, I think I have a great squad but not a lot of depth. So if it will be an injury prone season it is going to be thug, otherwise it could be a great great season with new players like: Chris Porter, Borini, Hingley, Sebek (greaaaat goalkeeper) and Miquel. Also busy with some dutch people who are on trial with me. Maybe one, or two will get a contract! Love dutch players, but guess I won't find a 2nd Sneijder, Van Persie or Van der Vaart ;)

Season     Team           League               Finished  Achievements
2011/12    FC United    Blue Square North    	4th       Promoted

@Quavis - I'm going to switch to your way of thinking. Going defensive is doing nothing for me so I'll stick to counter for a while and see how it goes. I only stand not to not reach the playoffs if it doesn't work out, so I won't moan at you too much.

You know what, I'm not changing team. I'm sticking with FC United coz I'm bloody well enjoying it. Leamington didn't feel right anyway. For those of you who 'refuse' to read my updates, do what you will, if you want to ask about the seasons, feel free. Those of you genuinely interested in my game, continue reading :) I enjoy your feedback.

Hopefully we can get out of this recent slump and beat Yeovil.

@Quavis - I'm going to switch to your way of thinking. Going defensive is doing nothing for me so I'll stick to counter for a while and see how it goes. I only stand not to not reach the playoffs if it doesn't work out, so I won't moan at you too much.

LOL! Keep in mind this is coming from someone yet to be promoted or even make the playoffs :p Granted I'm still early in my second season (I hate all of you who have lots of time to play!). Keep us updated on how it works!

Colwyn Bay pre-season 2011-12

My team has done really well in their first pre-season under my management. Won five friendlies, drew one, and lost one. The one loss was the teams fault, as they had way more chances, but just couldn't score.

Friendly results

I only signed six players. My team already had some good quality players in, so I only improved where really needed so I wouldn't upset the the harmony of the squad. The results I got in friendlies show this was a good decision to make, as the players I signed slotted right into the first team without any problems.

Pre-season transfers

My key signings were Adi Yussuf, a striker I'm quite excited about and a player who should be in my first team even if I reach League One. Then we have MatthewRegan, a central defender who, with careful training and plenty of first team football, should be good enough to play in League One. Lastly, there's Conor Morrissey, who potentially could be playing for my team up to League Two.

My finances are looking OK. Not great, but I've not made any major losses yet. My total wages are £600 below my budget, which is great as I don't think I need to sign anyone else this season unless I have a bad run of injuries.

I'm really looking forward to the season ahead, and have high hopes for my team after their impressive performances pre-season.

LOL! Keep in mind this is coming from someone yet to be promoted or even make the playoffs :p Granted I'm still early in my second season (I hate all of you who have lots of time to play!). Keep us updated on how it works!

Well I've got 10 games to go, in the playoff places but 1st to 9th position is separated by only 7 points so I could easily slip way back. My form is patchy at the moment and a few injuries have hit so it's going to be very tight. I'm not even sure I want to get promoted to League 2 yet. The second season I spent in the BSS really helped me to improve my squad and be able to push for promotion in my first BSP season. If I go up first time it's going to be very, very tough.

Unlucky man! Who you got to replace him?

Rob Earnshaw! Who has actually had a couple of good games for me. I also have Ryan Mason, who looks like a really decent player, but just never performs. Andy Johnson is available on a free, I might make him my crisis signing.

Archived