dafuge's FM11 challenge

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats to all those who gained promotion while I was away! Welcome to all of the newcomers to the challenge!

wriches: you should be able to re-adjust your wage balance on june 25th, the official start of the next season. Congrats on winning the FA trophy, I think you might be the first this year to win that one.

Ah ha, no board ultimatum required yet then! :D Thanks a lot for the heads-up.

HendonFcCrest.png

HENDON DONS SEASON REVIEW: 2014/15

npower League 1

*random notes*

haha ManU Boss says Andy Thompson showing potential. I signed Thompson on a free from ManU. sweet.

playoff spot secured with 6 games left. I'm barely in 2nd and ive lost once in the second half so far.

had to win last gameday against MK Dons to promote for sure. Won the game 2-0

Squad

Media Prediction: 24th

Actual Position: 2nd

RECORD

WINS-28

LOSSES-9

DRAW-9

League Table

BEST SIGNINGS:

Transfers

Andy Thompson: DC, signed 3 years $2400/week. Age: 18(at start)

Games Played: 39

Goals: 5

Tacklers/90: 1.89

MoM: 6

Average Rating:7.37

Michael O'Connor: MC, signed 2 years $2400/week Age: 26 at start

Games Played:36

Goals Scored: 1

Assists: 14

MoM: 1

AVG Rating:7.09

James Gray: ST, signed 2 years $2500/week Age: 22

Games played: 44

Goals: 19

Assists: 6

MoM:3

Avg Rating: 7.16

CUPS:

Lost rd1 in LC.

Won JPT.

Lost in 3rd round in FA Cup.

BEST WIN:

2-0 win final game day for promotion.

Worst Loss:

0-2 loss at home against Bradford.

Thoughts:

This was a lot harder, cause every loss was huge. You had to win literally every game to be in promtion zone.

Thankfully Middlesbrough choked down the stretch after having a big lead (even over 2nd) and dropped to 3rd.

Of course me losing a few games down the stretch wasn't fun either. I think we're getting a new stadium next year(finally)

so this 2000 seat one won't hinder my $$$ any more. ugh. So this year was indeed a lot tougher. At least EPL teams want

my young MC and DC (both are studs) :D:D:D. Next year I expect promotion again. I should be able to get more good frees this preseason.

Just sold one of my star players this season, ex-Man Utd youngster Dean Bailey, for £350k (+50% of his next transfer). Didn't want to sell him, but I thought i'd get a good price for him before the chairman jumped in and accepted less! Nice little turnover for a free signing who was only with us for half a season.

Right guys... Penalty Shootout time. Updates in this post... here we go. Blackburn to go first.

Wallace scores! 1-0.

Tudor-Jones hits the post! 1-0.

Bennett misses! Saved by Sebek. 1-0.

Shimmin misses! Robinson saves. 1-0.

Hoilett scores! 2-0.

Dawson misses! Over the bar. 2-0. This isn't looking good.

Nelsen misses! Sebek saves us! Still 2-0.

Borini scores! 2-1! If he missed, that was us out! But there's hope!

Zubar misses! Sails over the bar! Still 2-1. We're still in it!

Saric scores! 2-2! We're back in the game!

Olsson misses! Sebek saves again! Still 2-2!

McCrory misses! Off the bar. 2-2. I'm losing hope.

Guthrie scores. 3-2.

Ifil scores! 3-3! He keeps us in it!

Maynard MISSES! WE HAVE THE CHANCE TO WIN IT!

Ajose SCORES! AJOSE SCORES! AJOSE SCORES! WE HAVE WON!

Terk: Unlucky man. Anyone who even gets into the BSP playoffs in season 2 using 1024x768 resolution deserves a medal! :eek:

I just couldn't do that. I'm on 1920x1200 and I still struggle for room with all my match detail boxes. It's really useful being able to monitor your players' motivations during minute-by-minute, and your opponent's.

Right guys... Penalty Shootout time. Updates in this post... here we go. Blackburn to go first.

I don't know you but I'm so nervous. :D

Good luck.

Zubar misses! Sails over the bar! Still 2-1. We're still in it!

Saric scores! 2-2! We're back in the game!

This is fribbing amazing.

Olsson misses! Sebek saves again! Still 2-2!

McCrory misses! Off the bar. 2-2. I'm losing hope.

Is this real life?

Maynard MISSES! WE HAVE THE CHANCE TO WIN IT!

Ajose SCORES! AJOSE SCORES! AJOSE SCORES! WE HAVE WON!

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh. What? Seriously???????????????????????????????????????

Terk: Unlucky man. Anyone who even gets into the BSP playoffs in season 2 using 1024x768 resolution deserves a medal! :eek:

I just couldn't do that. I'm on 1920x1200 and I still struggle for room with all my match detail boxes. It's really useful being able to monitor your players' motivations during minute-by-minute, and your opponent's.

My good monitor is bust and I don't have the cash to replace it. It does make it more work on this size of screen, but I'm used to it again now.

Just sold one of my star players this season, ex-Man Utd youngster Dean Bailey, for £350k (+50% of his next transfer). Didn't want to sell him, but I thought i'd get a good price for him before the chairman jumped in and accepted less! Nice little turnover for a free signing who was only with us for half a season.

Wow, nice move! Yeah I tend to just set the values high enough I'd accept them so the board doesn't get in my way. Then if the offer is good enough they go :). He must have some potential though as his stats don't look the greatest. I'll bet you miss him on free kicks the rest of the season though :p

How can you play at 1920 x 1200??? There is sooooooo much wasted space on the FM UI. It would just be a big empty screen. I play most games at 1920 x 1200, but FM has to be played windowed.

How can you play at 1920 x 1200??? There is sooooooo much wasted space on the FM UI. It would just be a big empty screen. I play most games at 1920 x 1200, but FM has to be played windowed.

I play windowed but maximised, so it's around 1920x1150. There's a fair bit of empty space on player profiles but all the other screens are fine. FM08 used to be really bad on 1920x1200, but now most screen have 3 columns of stuff (like the News etc) so it uses the space pretty well now. :)

The 3D engine in this is ridiculously inefficient though. I only get slightly higher FPS than in Crysis. :D

Wow, nice move! Yeah I tend to just set the values high enough I'd accept them so the board doesn't get in my way. Then if the offer is good enough they go :). He must have some potential though as his stats don't look the greatest. I'll bet you miss him on free kicks the rest of the season though :p

He had a 7.43 rating for me, so he was more than good enough for League 2, but I didn't expect a Championship side to come in for him! My scout now reckons he has Premier league potential!!! Lets hope so, then my 50% sell on clause could be awesome!

He had a 7.43 rating for me, so he was more than good enough for League 2, but I didn't expect a Championship side to come in for him! My scout now reckons he has Premier league potential!!! Lets hope so, then my 50% sell on clause could be awesome!

I always hate it when my scouts get better report cards on players who have left than I could get while they were still at my club :p Premier League potential would have been very sweet! Almost too bad you couldn't have kept him now. At least you go the 50% sell on :) Do you remember what your scouts were showing him as before he had signed for you?

Following 1-1 at home vs Blackburn, I reckon they didnt want to use their subs anymore - They trounced my "9 man" team 4-0 :(

I wannabe jordanswinburn, so i also can beat Blackburn :(

Haha, unlucky dude. How much money did you get out of it?

I always hate it when my scouts get better report cards on players who have left than I could get while they were still at my club :p Premier League potential would have been very sweet! Almost too bad you couldn't have kept him now. At least you go the 50% sell on :) Do you remember what your scouts were showing him as before he had signed for you?

It was nothing out of the ordinary, maybe 4 star and League 1 potential. But the club was in a bit of a financial state, so I just had to cut my losses really. They only offered £150k and a friendly first off, so i'm pretty pleased with the negotiations.

Seriously struggling for staff again this summer. This inability to get people down to a wage I can offer is frankly ridiculous.

I sort of agree. Staff in general has been too easy to get the last few years. I'm glad its harder to recruit very good staff down in the lower leagues. HOWEVER, it needs to be easier to filter out people who won't sign for more than we can offer. Sorting through 1500 staff to find the 10 guys who might actually sign for 100p/w is ridiculous.

If you haven't already, try filtering for obscure staff. They will almost always sign for you. Finding someone decent that level is much harder though.

I sort of agree. Staff in general has been too easy to get the last few years. I'm glad its harder to recruit very good staff down in the lower leagues. HOWEVER, it needs to be easier to filter out people who won't sign for more than we can offer. Sorting through 1500 staff to find the 10 guys who might actually sign for 100p/w is ridiculous.

If you haven't already, try filtering for obscure staff. They will almost always sign for you. Finding someone decent that level is much harder though.

I agree that it should have been made harder, but it's gone too far, imo. For instance getting people applying for my ass man job who either have no interest in entering into negotiations with me or want £2,500 per week when the highest I can offer is £240 per week. Very frustrating.

Cheers for the search tip. Quickly found an ass man and a coach willing to sign :thup:

520px-FCUM_logosvg.png

FC United of Manchester

Season 1 - 2013/14 - League Two

Preseason - Media Prediction: 24th

Great Unexpectations

Club Info

Our first season as a professional club. I didn’t expect much from this season. The board wanted me to attempt to avoid relegation, and quite unusually, that’s what I went for.

The Season

This season was, well, perfect. The league went pretty well, it took a while, but we ended up majorly exceeding expectations and grabbing first place, and in style too, with a 5-0 win over Kidderminster. But this season, it wasn’t about the league, it was all about one thing and one thing only.

The Epic Cup Run

It was unbelievable, nothing else can be said about it. I’m just going to post every game.

FA Cup 1st Round

FA Cup 2nd Round

FA Cup 2nd Round Replay

FA Cup 3rd Round

FA Cup 3rd Round Replay

FA Cup 4th Round

FA Cup 5th Round

FA Cup 5th Round Replay

FA Cup 6th Round

FA Cup 6th Round Replay

FA Cup Semi Final

FA Cup Final

League Two Table | Position Graph

Transfers | Squad

Confidence | Finances

League Awards

League Two Manager of the Year

Jordan Swinburn

FC United Awards

Fan's Player of the Year

Fabio Borini

Once again, Borini takes this award. Last year, I said I wanted the team to become more than just Borini, and we did just that. Didn't stop him being the best player of the season though. Top stuff from the youngster.

Top Scorer

Fabio Borini

25 goals in 46 games this year. Nowhere near as many as last year, but this season, the goals were more shared out between Borini, Fallon, Saric and Fredericks, who all broke into double figures.

The Jordan Swinburn Award (The Surprise of the Season award)

Winning the FA Cup.

The Millward Player Choice Award (Manager's Player of the Year)

Nick Ajose

Nick Ajose was one of four players considered for this award. Borini wasn’t available for selection after winning it last season. Ajose, as well as Fallon, Saric and Tudor-Jones, played fantastically throughout the season. He didn’t always get games, but when he did, he made them count. The most important of those being when he slotted home the winning penalty in the FA Cup Final penalty shootout.

The Tomorrow's World Award (Future Star)

Stuart Cheek

Goal of the Season

Saric v Chelsea

Next Season

Stay up. That’s the main one. I’ll never manage to recreate that cup run again, not for a while anyway. The other aim is to try and at least win ONE game in the Europa League, just one. It’s going to a be a tough season.

Career Overview

Season          League                League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12         Blue Square North         4th           Promoted – Playoffs
2012/13         Blue Square Premier       5th           Promoted – Playoffs
2013/14         League 2                  1st           Promoted – Champions/FA Cup Winners

Big question. The board will settle for no less than a mid-table finish this season in League 1. If I take that, I'll get a £5m transfer budget and a £49.5k wage budget. However, if I was to up the expectations, I'd get...

Top Half - £6.75m/£56k p/w

Promotion - £7.25m/£58k p/w

Title Challenge - £8m/£59k p/w

Winner - £8.5m/£61k p/w

Which one should I take?

I would stay the biggest difference that would benefit you there would be to do top half, that amount of money will mean you should cruise that league.

+1. There's obviously a big difference between Top Half and Promotion but there isn't much difference in the budget for those two. But £1.75m and 6.5k p/w extra is pretty significant.

I have to say, objectively speaking, Borini is a rather attractive chap.

Our level of performance so far this season has been horrifying. Two away draws and two home defeats so far :( The squad hasn't changed much over the summer, really I couldn't identify that many players who would strengthen the squad and who actually wanted to join us, so I don't think it can be much of a squad gelling issue. The last game, a 1-0 defeat against Burton which could have been a 10-0 defeat, featured only one player who wasn't at the club last season.

Awesome transferage: Just signed Jamie Edge on a free transfer! Reasons why this is awesome:

1. He's good, free, on £90 p/w and I needed a DMC
  2. He plays for Arsenal IRL, who I support
  3. Arsenal signed him from Cheltenham Town, where I used to live
  4. His surname is Edge
  5. He has a cool face

Need I say more? :)

Our level of performance so far this season has been horrifying. Two away draws and two home defeats so far :( The squad hasn't changed much over the summer, really I couldn't identify that many players who would strengthen the squad and who actually wanted to join us, so I don't think it can be much of a squad gelling issue. The last game, a 1-0 defeat against Burton which could have been a 10-0 defeat, featured only one player who wasn't at the club last season.

Hmm. Second season syndrome perhaps? What formation are you playing?

I wouldn't be surprised if the BSP strengthens each season, given the number of quality players available on free transfers. Ideally the league should stay around the same standard each season, but if the players are available and the managers in the BSP are clever enough to find them, then maybe that doesn't happen.

I've just made my first two signings of this season, and it's fair to say I'm in a different league to my rivals when it comes to the transfer market. The first signing, Frederic Veseli (currently of Man City youth IRL) has had a year on loan at Bury before joining (then Championship) Brighton, and spending 2 seasons with them, including helping them to their Premier League year. So he should be rather good.

My second signing is one that surprised me quite a bit. He's seen by my coaches as a 5* player. He's going to be playing alongside Borini this year. His name is...

Michael Chopra.

Hmm. Second season syndrome perhaps? What formation are you playing?

I wouldn't be surprised if the BSP strengthens each season, given the number of quality players available on free transfers. Ideally the league should stay around the same standard each season, but if the players are available and the managers in the BSP are clever enough to find them, then maybe that doesn't happen.

We've been playing a pretty solid 4-4-2, though of course strategy and style change depending on who we're facing in any given game. I think it's likely that we've been found out a bit tactically, that sides are aware of how to defend against our quick break now, so I'm going to have to try a few tweaks to see if I can get us going again.

What is seriously annoying me though is that all summer I've been turned down by players when I'm offering them first team football, in favour of them signing for less money for BSS and BSN sides. Have some ambition, lads.

More and more signings coming in. Now, I like a big strike force, usually I have about 5 or 6. Last year I had Borini, Fallon, Saric, Sordell, Knowles and occasionally Ajose.

This year, I've upped the game. 6 strikers. Borini, Fallon, Saric, Michael Chopra, Zavon Hines, Caleb Folan.

Other transfers so far include James Perch, Jonathan Walters and Dennis Cagara.

w00t \o/ A win \o/

Changed back to the sort of game we played in our BSN campaign, a higher defensive line, pressing high up the pitch, although this time with wingers pushed forward to make a 4-2-2-2/4-2-4 formations and the players responded wonderfully with a 3-0 win over Newport County. An 18 year old newgen striker that I picked up from Arsenal in the summer bagged his first two goals for the club :thup:

More and more signings coming in. Now, I like a big strike force, usually I have about 5 or 6. Last year I had Borini, Fallon, Saric, Sordell, Knowles and occasionally Ajose.

This year, I've upped the game. 6 strikers. Borini, Fallon, Saric, Michael Chopra, Zavon Hines, Caleb Folan.

Other transfers so far include James Perch, Jonathan Walters and Dennis Cagara.

You've got some strong Championship players there. Chopra, Folan and Hines must be on a few bob?

Archived