Match preparation question

Probably because you're using man marking.

If just one of your players is beaten in the air by the man they're marking then its a clear header at goal. Its also possible other teams have 3 or 4 decent headers of the ball compared to yours and they may be man marking the wrong ones, say a winger marking a beefy defensive midfielder. Thats always the problem with man marking at corners and why many top teams don't use it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One doubt:

If my team achieve max blending with the tactic, i guess i would want to decrease the level of match preparation in order to boost the regular training regime and players attributes.

But since match preparation affects my team behavior in the next match, does this mean my possible boost (for example setting it to attack) will be lowered, since i have decreased match preparation workload?

Should i keep it then, let's say, to 30%, therefore never maximazing normal training regime?

On another note, does anyone knows a thread about increasing attributes in players and particularry talking about the individual training that is now possible in FM 2011?

On another note, does anyone knows a thread about increasing attributes in players and particularry talking about the individual training that is now possible in FM 2011?

It's the same like the others versions.

Some of us try to developp differents théories about. But always false in substance. For a simple thing, the increasing depend of the situation, its variations, and many factors, without talk about the potential of the player itself. I could resume it quickly without to much details, if you expected.

The simple méthod to according that, is the " Calibration system"

It suppose that each player get his own schedule.

1/ You must assume that the player is ready to play. If he's not, moderation on sliders wasn't affect or for a really small part.

2/ You leave sliders on same level ( difference beetween GK or field player as you know for worshop ) for a period of ... the best it's 3 months

3/ At this point, the graphical column advertise the differential activities. You have just to report this differential model on the sliders.

4/ Climb up the model on maximum.

5/ Manage it by 2 things all along the season: the hapiness comment of the players in his training report.

Hapiness is the reflection of 2 hiddens factors : ambition and professionnalism. You must respect it, and declin the general volume a little bit, until the comment become positiv. Need waiting the next match to know if it 's ok.

6/ The most important management is according condition recorvery time beetween 2 matchs rotation.

Wait the second match just before launching match and observ the condition %

Decline the general volum if % missing. But may be it could be too much by the general ?

To obtain more precision, for choosen a particulary worshop to declin, you must work with "activities arrow". Red one objectiv a bad worshop level that you must climb. Neutral a maintain level. Green positiv progress activity where you get a relativ amplitud to moderate.

Invisible jadness grow up match after match reducing the player's general capacities volum all along the season. Condition is the trick to respect, to obtain the best performance in match at time, with parallelism of training progess. Because, match activities produce its own contribution to the workload. It's a constant exchange, so, theres no frustration to observ a correct balance beetween the both aspects.

And generaly, respond to the player's possiilities.

The only dark side of this calibration is inacurracy of reading graphic column values at first. You must expecting a better balance to according with the activities arrows later.

But anyway, it's a better answers that you could always expecting for each player.

The news indirects influences and variations on general volum, because match preparation, found the same implication on this way.

One doubt:

If my team achieve max blending with the tactic, i guess i would want to decrease the level of match preparation in order to boost the regular training regime and players attributes.

I tested: Using only one tactic, you can keep it "low" without losing familarity in any bar.

With 2 tactic still need to be tested.

But since match preparation affects my team behavior in the next match, does this mean my possible boost (for example setting it to attack) will be lowered, since i have decreased match preparation workload?

I assume you have a less "boost" effect. I assume.

Note: you said If my team achieve max blending with the tactic. From what I've understood you should said max familiarity since team blending is independent from a specific tactic.

If I keep Team Blend on, then after some matches if I look at "reaction of my players with my team talk at last match" (page of my assistant....I'm not using english version sorry :p ) ...

...it's something like this

....http://media.photobucket.com/image/football%20manager%20assistant%20manager%20team%20talk/Rukydin/MauroTassotti.png...

...well, the "players understanding part" improve better in less time. And that part is independent from tactic.

• SI Staff

Keeping the workload on match preparation at Low or higher keeps up the gained familiarity levels during the season. So once your players are fully adapted to your chosen tactics in the match preparation, you can reduce the workload if you want.

Reducing the workload of the match preparation will mean that the players will take longer to learn the tactics and the boost you'll get from the special focus will be less, but you'll have the advantage of having the players having a higher workload on regular training and so possibly gaining/modifying attributes a little quicker.

Increasing the workload will mean learning the tactics quicker and getting a slightly bigger boost when using special focus but then having the players spend having a lower workload on regular training.

It's just another balancing act that everyone will have to decide for themselves. Personally I'd have a slightly higher match prep workload and lower training when taking on a new team and over the course of the season start to balance things out as and when the team has gelled and started to learn the tactics. Possibly I'd increase the workload at the start of the following season to help bed in new signings and get them up to speed on the tactics.

It could be worth doing a brief increase in workload for important matches just to get a bigger boost on one of the special focuses.

Guys, something I do not understand how to use with regards to the match preperation: How do I change the workload??

I mean, I have made my own training schedules and use these for training my players. All the worloads, although different for defenders, midfielders etc, are all set to high medium workload (one click below heavy). However I can't find out how to adjust the match preperation workload.

Thanks.

Keeping the workload on match preparation at Low or higher keeps up the gained familiarity levels during the season. So once your players are fully adapted to your chosen tactics in the match preparation, you can reduce the workload if you want.

Would setting a target man be enough to drop formation familiarity from fluid to awkward, and then stay there when I undo the changes I made?

Notice I said a fully learned tactic.

sorry, thanks for notice it again.

I might say no, but if there's still benefit in choosing "None" instead, this means there's a malus somewhere in choosing something else.....am i right?

I think that if you choose something else (not "none" and not "team blend") you'll have less effort on team blend.

There must be something slightly different (mentality,player roles etc)?

Nope, exact same. I made sure to load a saved tac for my current and then set that same saved tactic for my third formation.

@dafunk

All of them. On the third tactic page, all are slightly lower into accomplished. In current, all are fluid. The formation level is awkward on both, even though it was fluid at one point. As I mentioned earlier, I did one change* and then changed it back after a week.

*Setting target man and having player hold up ball. The actual formation shape has not changed since pre-season.

As I mentioned earlier, I did one change* and then changed it back after a week.

*Setting target man and having player hold up ball. The actual formation shape has not changed since pre-season.

Number one and number three are the same tactic but it gives you different familarity bars?

When I say same tactic I mean everything the same (interesting the comparison between one with target man on and one off).

Because I understand you have tactic one and tactic three the same BUT target man and hold up ball.

If it is so than it mean that changing target man options need training.

Number 1 and number 3 are the same tactic, yes. But one has fluid, the other only accomplished.

There are two issues, one is two tactics the same but showing different levels. This is no targetman change. They are exactly the same, because both loaded from saved tactic.

The second is not related to one but only specific to the "formation familiarity" bar:

I understand targetman and holdingup ball needs training, but if I changed it back, to a system they are more familiar with (because they've been fluid it in), should that dramatically drop the formation level to awkward?

There are two issues, one is two tactics the same but showing different levels. This is no targetman change. They are exactly the same, because both loaded from saved tactic.

this is not ok, as you describe it.

The second is not related to one but only specific to the "formation familiarity" bar:

I understand targetman and holdingup ball needs training, but if I changed it back, to a system they are more familiar with (because they've been fluid it in), should that dramatically drop the formation level to awkward?

formation familiarity should be referred to the game system you use, 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and so on.

I can justify a drop to ankward only if you play for a long time with a system and then you change to a completely different one.

Well that's the thing, I can't understand why my 4-3-3 formation would have dropped so much. If it was because of targetman, then removing it should bring it back up and not keep it at awkward, especially when it was something they were fluid in. Unless player memory is very short.

After a really bad start, I have just got an a 4 game winning streak. I have only just learnt what match preperation and focus areas is due to this thread, and when I did learn, I saw my next team was a big bigger team so put the focus area on defensive and I beat them 2-0. Then I play a poorer team than me, so put the focus on attacking, and lose 4-1... Does not work.

After a really bad start, I have just got an a 4 game winning streak. I have only just learnt what match preperation and focus areas is due to this thread, and when I did learn, I saw my next team was a big bigger team so put the focus area on defensive and I beat them 2-0. Then I play a poorer team than me, so put the focus on attacking, and lose 4-1... Does not work.

its not quite as simple as that I'm afraid. There are lots more variables to consider than 'I'm better/I'm worse'. They may have been poorer than you overall, but just happened to be good going forward. You need to listen to your scouts, check out the opponents and then decide.

If only it were so simple.

I made 8-9 transfers at the start of the season, so obviously I started out with Team Blend... but I'm scrapping that as it doesn't seem to be bringing them together any faster then without it, I mean months in and the guys that aren't regularly on the starting 11 are still having -serious- issues blending as reported by my asst.

The one thing that gets me about the tactics training is how low it all started out. I mean my main is 4-4-2 and they teams comfort level with all areas were at most 25%, awkward. Now formation is fine... width, marking, and temp at 50% +/- and the rest are still awkward.

Question:

What if you had two tactics that were EXACT polar opposites and placed in slots one and two (slot three was blank)? Does this means that at BEST your team would be 50% capable in either OR 100% capable in both?

If they were 100% in both, does this mean that it would be in my interest to have a tactic that implemented a large number of choice features, create a polar opposite, insert into slots one and two respectively, gain complete 100% mastery in both, then use a tactic that implements such choice features that is different to either in slots one and two but gives me a large leeway that I can tweak in-game knowing that it is the features and not the tactic itself that matters?

Now if it was 50%, it would be nice to get a warning. A suggestion is something like "Slot two can only handle 10 new features" or "The team is struggling to fully get to grasp with the Slot 3 tactic due to it having more than 5 new features"

Again, I could extend this argument to filling the three slots with as many features as possible and using some other tactic to play the actual match.

is it normal that every season tactic familiarity drops to zero despite using same tactic?

I would certainly hope not; I haven't completed my first year on FM11 yet!

I regularly find one tactic then stick with it for a long time if it works well. Currently it is 'Control'.

If I am losing during a match I will change it to Overload and shout get ball forward etc. If I am winning close, I will change it to Contain and retain possession etc.

Do you think it is best to prepare, along with my starting tactic with Control, to set the other 2 tactics exactly the same, but one set to Contain (with naturally narrow width and slower tempo etc), and the 3rd tactic to Overload (with naturally higher tempo etc).

This will give me higher bars and better comfort with all 3 tactics depending which one I change during match?

Here's something I've been pondering regard Match Prep:

When do you change the 'Special Focus Areas' (E.g. Defensive Positioning, Attacking Set Pieces etc)?

An example: Boreham Wood is about to face a stronger side...let's say Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup. The best thing to do would probably set Defensive Positioning as your special focus, but WHEN do you set it?

Let's say the Bristol Rovers game is on Wednesday. You've just finished a game the previous Saturday. Is it best to set the focus training immediately after the game on Saturday so you get 4 days of focus training in before the game or can you change it just before you hit 'go to match'?

Will the two have the same effect?

• SI Staff

The special focus selection in match preparation only applies to the next match and does not accumulate over time like the tactics you can prepare (the "team blend" focus being the lone exception, as team blends together in the long run and this focus will affect on it). You can basically think of it as something that will be worked on thoroughly just before the next match as the final preparation for that one particular match. So there is no difference if you change it 4 days or 1 day before a match.

Quick question and apologies if it's been answered but I'm bloody knackered and can't be bothered to read through the whole thread.

On the match preparation screen the familiarity levels are all pretty high apart from the formation, how do I raise this level, just by playing matches?

Quick question and apologies if it's been answered but I'm bloody knackered and can't be bothered to read through the whole thread.

On the match preparation screen the familiarity levels are all pretty high apart from the formation, how do I raise this level, just by playing matches?

Yes and if you like by increasing the intensity at which they train it. At the trade off of other training being reduced or of more injuries.

Finally I am winning games and every single bar is 100% full :)

I had the same happen, I went to a new formation for 1 match and ended up losing all competence (back to about 20%) with my main formation. Some wierd stuff happening in the match prep feature.

I have a quick question regarding match preperation - sorry if I have missed an earlier answer.

You get given three different tactics to choose as part of match preperation. I have currently got a 4-3-3 tactic with differing strategies. For example 4-3-3 attacking, 4-3-3 defensive etc. I also would like to develop a 4-4-2 for the payers to fall back on during certain matches or periods of the match. Do I have just choose one version of the 4-3-3 and the players will be ok in changing to attack/defensive etc and then choose the 4-4-2 as my other tactic or would I have to choose all of the 4-3-3 variations for it to work?

I had the same happen, I went to a new formation for 1 match and ended up losing all competence (back to about 20%) with my main formation. Some wierd stuff happening in the match prep feature.

Oh well I am really enjoying the game now I worked out all this match preps and tactics etc. :)

fm11mfcgraph1.th.jpg

Finally I am winning games and every single bar is 100% full :)

I've got a thought. Isn't there a "dope" effect in this attibute/preparation system?

Why should I train players towards attribute if my players play better if focusing on tactic?

Can be silly but I don't want that this dope effect gives less importance to attributes.

There seems to be an issue with post-season and the match prep tactics ...

All 3 tactics appear to max out when all players are on holiday. At least in the 3 seasons Ive played the tactics are all every bar 100% when the new season starts, and they get stuck that way until you change to a new formation.

Im not sure wether this is just a display error or they are really all maxed out permanently (unless you try a new formation).

Ive had one variant of my custom 532 that I have never used but it remains at all bars 100% when I check it.

All 3 tactics appear to max out when all players are on holiday. At least in the 3 seasons Ive played the tactics are all every bar 100% when the new season starts, and they get stuck that way until you change to a new formation.

Im not sure wether this is just a display error or they are really all maxed out permanently (unless you try a new formation).

Ive had one variant of my custom 532 that I have never used but it remains at all bars 100% when I check it.

As long as a tactic is in one of your 3 slots, they will continue training it whether you use it or not. They will therefore continue to learn or remember what they've learnt about it.

I was looking for this. Mine was classical 442 and all the bars were 100%. I didn't have any other tactic. In my 2nd season, I made a tactic and wanted to put my 442 tactic to the 2nd slot. When I did that, I saw most of the bars dropped to 75%. I wonder if this is intentional by SI but I am thinking that it should have been dropped when it was in the first slot. I feel sad because I lost 100% bars. However, I see that many people encountered this.

I regularly find one tactic then stick with it for a long time if it works well. Currently it is 'Control'.

If I am losing during a match I will change it to Overload and shout get ball forward etc. If I am winning close, I will change it to Contain and retain possession etc.

Do you think it is best to prepare, along with my starting tactic with Control, to set the other 2 tactics exactly the same, but one set to Contain (with naturally narrow width and slower tempo etc), and the 3rd tactic to Overload (with naturally higher tempo etc).

This will give me higher bars and better comfort with all 3 tactics depending which one I change during match?

I would like to know the answer to this also, is it any benefit having 3 seperate tactics with all at say 4-4-2 but one at control one at contain and one at attacking or is it better to just have one tactic say at contain and then change it during then match depending on the score.

My tactic had 100% in the match preparation but since my players have come back from pre season it has gone down to around the 60% mark. Is this because they have been away on holiday and need time to build it back upto 100% or is it because I have sold and bought in some new players and the new players need time to learn the tactics?

Is this because they have been away on holiday and need time to build it back upto 100% or is it because I have sold and bought in some new players and the new players need time to learn the tactics?

Yes, because of transfers and because holiday (you know....it's holiday!)

Yes to your previous post too.

I am really lost about this match preperation. Obviously it is a very nice idea but I am not sure if I feel comfortable using it. For example now I have 3 saved tactics (and 3 archived). However in MP screen I have a duplicate of one tactic and I dont know which one is the actual one. Everytime I change a player role or set piece, i want to update my tactic but again that creates a new one. In MP this even changes formation level. I am trying to write this through cell phone so i would like to ask what to do to get optimum out of mp.

I actually have 2 main tactics. I dont change passing style, tempo, width etc. But every single change resets levels to 75 in my game. I really believe this is not really working perfect because it should be match preperation screen where you actually can change tempo, marking etc and then associate the familiarity in tactics screen.

Anyway, I need a basic road map to start it over. What should I do? My main tactic just dropped to weirdly low levels because I changed one player role and saved over the tactic.

Archived