FM11: The Official Athletic Club Bilbao Thread- the "Basque National Team"

ArranoBeltza

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After kicking off the 2nd season today it is time to give a short wrap-up of how the 1st season went.

The League

After being in 4th place halfway through the season we hit a major slump losing 5 games in a row and just scraping a few points with some draws in games which should have won. My tactics were a mess and it did take some time to get on the winning road again. A few good results agains strong opponents (2-2 v Villareal nad 3-3 v R. Madrid) we started winning again and finished the season in 6th place.

The Cup

The spanish was a story of success as we won the whole thing. Sevilla and At. Madrid were the strongest teams that came our way while Madrid and Barca (or their reserve teams respectively; both hardly played with their 1st team) were eliminated earlier in the competition.

Here are the results of each round

4th round vs Zaragoza 3-2 on agg.

5th round vs. At. Madrid 4-2 on agg.

Qtr. final vs. Sevilla 4-3 on agg.

Semi final vs. Almeria 4-4 on agg. won on away goals

Final vs. Getafe 3-2

Iker Munain was MoM in the final. With 10 minutes to go in regular time we were trailing 1-2 when a Munain brace turned around the game.

Transfers 2011/2012

I nearly finished the transfers for the next season. Here is what I got so far.

IN

Ander - Zaragoga - €8.5M

Cesar Azpilicueta - Marseille - €12.25M

Gonzalo (regen) - Portonovo - €6k

Igor Herrero (regen) - Cordoba - €825k

Ander Murrilo - FREE

Still trying to bring back Francisco Javier Yeste to San Mames.

OUT:

Ustaritz - OSC Lille - €1.2M

Aitor Oico - FREE

and a couple of others not worth mentioning. Send some youngsters out on loan as well like Saborit, Denis, Ramalho etc.

Just a tip for those wanting a tutor for the younger DCs (Aurtenetxe, Ramalho etc). As you may know there aren't many suitable tutors for the DC position, most of the starting DCs have determination under 15 and bad PPMs like 'argues with officials' with Amorebieta :p. So my option was to retrain the highly determined Carlos Gurpegi as a DC, he is already 'competent' as a DC and within a couple of months of re-training should become 'accomplished', at which point he is able to tutor the younger DCs and turn them into highly determined beasts. :)

Just started a game with Athletic last night and would appreciate if anyone could give suggestions on the roles to use for Llorente, Munian and Javi Martinez?

Martinez will be playing in centre mid and the other two will both be upfront.

I did start again in the end, after so much time off I just felt it right for some reason! First game of the season and I thrash Hercules 4-0 with a Muniain hattrick! :D And Alcacer is mine once again :) Picked up a few more youngsters that had been released from various clubs, as well as Fernando from Cadiz for a pricey 26k :\ Sold Diaz de Cerio for 1.5m and Zubiaurre for 750k.

have booted up an Athletic save on 11,3 now, staff is pretty much sorted and revamped but there's still lots of work to do on day 1 with potential transfers being identified and and tactic to be decided upon (if it will be 4-4-2 inspired by real life athletic, a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 diamond or my regular 4-5-1 tactic I don't know yet).

I dont expect anything less then a CL spot from the lads, and hopefully I can go on a good run in copa del ray aswell

I started an Athletic save yesterday and it's refreshing not to have to worry about transfers. So far I'm 3rd in the league but 6 points or so behind Barca and Madrid. I've only lost twice so far against Barca and Madrid. I've signed Ruffier for €12.75m and he'll be coming in the January transfer window. Irazios isn't playing very well and he concedes a lot of goals.

I've found that Raul is a quality young goalkeepr. If Iraizoz is making some gaffes, put Raul in, and definitely use him in cup games. He's quality, and just as in real life, Iraizoz needs a kick up the ass before he starts performing consistently well. Make sure you keep Raul around, even if you bring Ruffier in. And Aitor is a pretty good prospect as well.

I'm nearly finished my first season and I've won the Copa del Rey and got the third Champions League spot. I lost all four games in the league against Madrid and Barca so next season I hope I can do better in that respect. They were my only losses though. I beat Barca is the quarter-finals of the cup as they played a reserve team.

Ruffier has been excellent since I bought him. He's much better than Iraizoz who I sold for €5m. I also brought in Yeste for €1.6m and he's done really well. He's not as good as he was in previous FMs but he's still very skillful if a bit inconsistent.

Muniain has been very good but he's not that consistent yet. I play him in the AML spot as an inside forward and he does a decent job. Got a hat-trick in one game. Javi Martinez is the star of the team and has been attracting a lot of attention from big clubs. His attributes have improved marginally too. I managed to get him to sign a new contract without a minimum release fee as I was afraid Man City were going to make a bid. Aurtenetxe has been excellent at LB and he's now first choice there, Ramalho and Saborit are also improving and should be decent players.

I really want to sign Xabi Prieto as he's a quality player but he's just not interested and Sociedad have done reasonably well. I'm looking forward to getting Ander in the summer though.

My second season with Athletic is going really well. In January we are five points clear at the top of the table and are unbeaten in all competitions including the Champions League where we won a group with Man City and Bayern. We have beaten Barca twice at home and drawn with Real away. Barca are having a poor season by their standards but Villa is scoring almost 2 goals every game just like last season. He's insanely good.

Ander has come in and done extremely well. He's improved his attributes slightly and still has room to develop. He started off slowly but he's displaced Yeste to become our AMC. Muniain has had an excellent season so far and I've been playing him up front as a deep-lying forward. He's much better suited to my system than Llorente who hasn't played much this season. I'll probably sell Llorente either now or at the end of the season. Muniain's stats have also improved and he has 11 goals in 18 leagues games. He's now a wonder kid. Ramalho and Saborit are now my backup right and left backs as I got rid of Kokilli, Boveda, and Castillo. They usually do very well and still have some room to develop into solid 3-star players. Aurtenetxe is first choice left back and still has a lot of potential left at 19, he should be a top player in 3 years or so. Ruiz de Galarreta has joined the first-team squad and has performed well when given a chance.

I bought a lot of good regens in the summer and some of them will be excellent players if they can develop right. Most of them have severe deficiencies in certain area but hopefully training can rectify that.

We are now rich and I have a transer budget of €40m but no one to spend it on. None of the good Sociedad players will consider joining me and Aduriz's agent hates me so his wage demands were utterly ridiculous.

• 1 month later...

What I have learned from 4 different saves with Athletic:

1. Ander works better for me as an AML than as an AMC. He shooting ability just isn't there and I find that creative players perform better out wide where there is more space than in the hole where they are easily marked out.

2. Azpilicueta typically costs $12M and remains a back-up to Iraola through 2015. I just don't think he is worth the cost.

3. Ignacio Monreal typically costs me $20M and remains a back-up to Castillo through 2015. I don't think he is worth the cost either.

4. Raul Garcia typically costs around $8M and is as good as my starters, but other low cost options have done just as well for me: Inigo Perez, Gorka Larrea

5. I have made a flat 442 work (finish 3rd or higher), borderline results with a 451/4321/4231 (5th but with certain positions underperforming) but have finally settled on a 424 with my most common line up like this:

----------------- Muniain (poach/attack) ------ Llorente (complete/attack) -----------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ander (wing/support) ---------------------------------------------- Susaeta (wing/attack)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------- Iturraspe (dlp/support) -- Martinez (cm / support) -------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Castillo (fb/support) -- Amorebieta (ld/cover) -- San Jose (bpd/stopper) -- Iraola (fb/support)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------Iraizoz -------------------------------------------

This team is good enough in each of the first four seasons such that I am embarking on my 5th save game with the intention of not buying anybody (except the prearranged deal for Ander).

6. Keep De Cerio as he plays well in both Llorente's and Susaeta's role.

7. Keep De Marcos who can play as AML, AMR and in the Poacher role.

8. I find that Inigo Perez, despite being rated only 1.5-2 stars can get as high or higher ratings than any other MC I have played in either role.

9. Keep Igor Martinez who does well in the AMR role.

10. Of course keep Aurtenetxe and Ramalho who both do well in the central and wide roles.

11. If you really need a DC, I still recommend Astiz as the best value.

Have got to 2022 in a game and noticed that Bilbao had a great squad of Basque regens and had unfortunately sold some young regens to bigger clubs who then had no interest in coming back :D

Decided to leave my club and takeover Bilbao with the aim of developing youth :)

I am finishing the 1st season in Athletic, 3 games have left and i'm in 4th position very easily.

I use 3 system: 1. 4-3-3

2. 4-4-2 flat

3.4-2-3-1

Things that i understand is that my defence concend a lots of goals til now 35 games and my goals are 77-43

Many of them in corners and free kicks :(

Barca and Real Madrid 1st season are unbeaten, Villareal very good team the best 3rd in Spain, after them all teams can be beaten

Iker Muniain is my wonderkid, as AML inside and poacher can do wonders, Iturraspe Aurtenexte & j.Ramalho should be given alot of matches cos they can be future basic players, only disadvantage is that Aurtenexte has low PA only 130.

Athletics best players in the first months in game wants contracts improvements, i only sirn new contract to Iraola & Iturraspe.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first half of the Spurs v Bilbao friendly at the weekend and it planted the seed in my head to try an Athletic game on FM11. Interest in football manager dwindles a bit after a while as I find myself buying a lot of the same players game after game or getting a team so good it just doesn't feel like a challenge anymore but I get the feeling this could be different.

In this game I have to develop my own players and not just bring in the same old faces and I love the thought of having 100% domestic player bias in my squad.

Decided to start with a tried and trusted 4-3-3 system and thankfully I already had the players at the club to fit . Standard back four set up nothing complicated , 3 hard working mids with one in the anchor position and Llorente as a target man with pacey dribblers either side of him .

Pretty quiet in the transfer market . Signed Gorka Larrea for £350k and loaned Pantxi Sirieix from Tolouse . Gurpegi broke his leg in pre season so needed a work horse or two . Sold Gabilondo and David Lopez as they didn't really fit and I couldn't re train them into new positions like I am doing with Ander , Susaeta and Igor Martinez .

Having a pretty decent start the season . Unbeaten in first seven league games including away wins at Barca and Madrid plus a 6-1 home win against Osasuna which pleased the fans. Got a pretty decent Europa league group which I won't get into now .

Not surprisingly Llorente is the star so far and I fear any long term injury to him will kill my season . He's just one of those players a team like this will find impossible to replace .

I will try to upload some screen shots of my progress (when I learn how to do it that is) Think this could be a real long term game rather than my usual stop / start a new game efforts .

Hmm well I am gonna sound really cheeky saying this but I have not played FM11, and it looks unrealistically easy on this evidence.

As an example, Tactical Genius does seem to be an accurate nickname, your achievements are great. But I noticed that your 2014 team doesnt contain any regens, only the RL Athletic squad boosted by Azpilicueta, Ruffier and Ander, all top signings but not so amazing that they could lift that team enough to make them basically unbeatable in one of the world's top leagues and win it unbeaten for 3 seasons running.

As for ArranoBeltza racking up a 7-1, EnriqueZove an 8-2 and Barkers beating Madrid 5-0 in their first seasons? Come on, thats just silly, we have just seen that year play out in reality and there was none of that happening in Bilbao, in fact I dont recall Susaeta scoring at all in 10/11 yet here is is in screenshots banging em in like Messi. Choosing the right tactics and team management can make a difference but i thought FM was meant to have some (a lot, actually) resemblence to real life. These outcomes suggest otherwise. Get Mourinho at San Mames, or whoever else you consider to be the best tactician in the game, and they would still struggle to get Athletic into Europe - I think that Caporros achieved a lot by finishing sixth (above Sevilla and Atletico for example). Dont want to pick on you folk in particular or talk down your impressive result buts it does seem a bit too exaggerated, and particularly noticable with Athletic since you can't just change the team and buy your way to glory within a few seasons.

Have to add that if you guys are really trying to embrace the challenge of managing Athletic, you should not be signing any non-Basque 16 year olds. I know the game allows you to do it but the club doesn't do so IRL (terms and conditions apply however!) so if youre wanting to simulate that then you should try to resist the temptation. If you want to poach from Barcelona you should have an Arsenal savegame ;)

Have to add that if you guys are really trying to embrace the challenge of managing Athletic, you should not be signing any non-Basque 16 year olds. I know the game allows you to do it but the club doesn't do so IRL (terms and conditions apply however!) so if youre wanting to simulate that then you should try to resist the temptation. If you want to poach from Barcelona you should have an Arsenal savegame ;)

I agree with a lot of what you said in your post but having played quite a bit as Athletic it's impossible to poach from Real or Barca for example while all the Basque regens from Osasuna/Real Sociedad etc have no intention of joining Bilbao anyway, if you didn't poach non Basques you would struggle to make a squad after a while.

Well I guess that could be an issue, havent played FM11 but in FM10 you could mostly tempt Real Soc/Osasuna players the usual football way, i.e waving wads of cash, and that would usually sway the clubs in the first place (or else literally poach em on a youth deal so they have no choice). Thats how it has been in real life too, obviously some players will want to be loyal to their formative club but the finance and reputation of Athletic has usually seen the bigger club being able to make the signings they desire. And some tapping up has definitely occurred in the past too!

It may be an issue for SI if none of the local rivals' player will sign for Athletic, that makes it very difficult as you say, as well as a bit unrealistic which was basically my point about the whole thing. But Real do dislike Athletic (bit of a Everton-Liverpool situation, a 'friendly rivalry' but a lot of bitterness there too!) so it would be tricky to reflect that in an accurate way while making the prospect of transfers between the clubs a feasable possibility. Sort it out SI!

The club can do it IRL since they changed their cantera policy. If it's allowed, it has to be done. Good Basque regens are way too few and far between, even if you ignore that they won't come to you if they did exist!

Nice start TG. Any players brought in? I remember when I first started my save I brought in nobody and just terminated Diaz de Cerio's loan deal so he could provide some mediocre back up.

Speaking of mediocre, thats excatly how my 6 games of doom went. A solitary win against Barcelona was the highlight. And since then we have been unbeaten in all competitions, a fantastic run. And qualified for the knockout rounds of the CL following the 3-1 win in Turkey over Galatasary.

p4r56u099fx4txbkzf99.jpg

Spain is my favourite league to manage in FM for some reason, and ive never seen the league this competitive at this stage...

x8z3z80k7cxmquz967hj.jpg

On another note, has anyone noticed with Llorente that he seems to be on fire for about 3 or so games. Then goes on a drought as if could not score if he was in a brothel and given 10 grand to spend?

Just started a Bilbao save just wondering is it worth bringing de Cerio back from his loan because his stats look quite decent?
yep, bring him back, he's got pretty decent determination to, which comes in very handy due to the lack of good mentors on the squad

• 2 weeks later...

First season: Won the Copa del Rey and finished 4th. Signed Mikel Alonso, Juan Mera, Denis and Paco Alcácer.

Second season: Ongoing - Supacopa de Espana runner up, signed Nestor Susaeta (free) Cesar Azpilicueta (£600k loan fee, £10.5m buy fee) and two regens:

Poached from Villarreal, £2.6m compensation. 5* PA:

angel.png

Poached from Alcoyano, £100k compensation, 4.5* PA:

feliciano.png

Academy kid, 4* PA:

zulaika.png

I aim for Anglo-Spanish, but when no good English/Spanish coaches are available, I'll go foreign.

All my scouts are Basque, though!

its not really like you need more then one or two scouts thought, and there's already two scouts on the staff that will do a decent job

its not really like you need more then one or two scouts thought, and there's already two scouts on the staff that will do a decent job

I have 9. One each scouting La Liga, Liga Adelante, Segunda B1, B2, B3, B4, u19s, French Ligue 1, French Reserves. Now looking for a French u19 scout.

Archived