FM11: The Official Athletic Club Bilbao Thread- the "Basque National Team"

ArranoBeltza

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the 2011-12 season is in the books!

2012table.jpg

I finished 5th- not bad at all, but I could have finished higher. In the first half of the season, my team was in first for the first two months or so of the season, but stayed in second or third up until around January, when my team's form began to dip and results were less consistent. Not a bad finish, again, but we could have (maybe should have) done better.

Fernando Llorente had another solid season, but didn't score quite as much as he had the previous year. Iker Muniain started things off very slowly, but picked up in the latter half and ended with a quite respectable goal total.

As far as signings go, I brought in Ander and Stephane Ruffier, as well as a number of very good newgens. Here are my better newgens:

Joan Marques (ST- from Jaen, $220k)

Alberto (ST- from Cadiz, $5mil)

Carlos Coronado (Natural ML, AML, AMC, DMC; Accomplished MC- from Oviedo, $1.3mil)

What do you guys think Coronado's best position would be? I mostly played him at ML due to some injury/suspension issues, but I also gave him a few runs out at MC. I also got a couple of other newgens, both from my team and brought in, but these three are the best.

So for the upcoming season we're into the new stadium (and if past saves are any indication, that means monthly profits!). We'll be competing in the Euro Cup, and I also got three superb newgens to come through my own system, as well as a couple I bought from elsewhere, and I bought Inaki Astitz from QPR to add some cover to the CB position.

Here are my 2012 newgens (all of them have 4.5 star PAs, except Gonzalez who has 4):

Oscar Sanchez (GK- from cantera)

Jose Manuel Gonzalez Gonzalez (DR- from Sevilla, $1.2mil)

Angel Bergara (DM- from Cantera)

Unai Basabe (AMR- from Zalla, $20k...he doesn't look like much, but is very highly rated by my scouts so he must have lots of unused PA)

Borja Barasoain (DM- from Cantera)

I am re-training both DMs as CMs so I can use them in a ball-winning role in my 4-4-2

Coronado definitely looks like a central player to me, mainly due to his lack of pace. He has an odd set of attributes though.

He really does- I figure he'll be a good utility player, though. I might re-train him at MR so he has yet another use, but he's on a long-term injury from the pre-season :(

I'd play Coronado as a wide midfielder in a support role on the left.

He has high tackling, but poor bravery, strength and jumping and workrate. His has high passing but poor creativity and teamwork. I just can't see him making it as a central midfielder...not enough energy, vision or strength.

He does have good agility and flair to go along with solid dribbling and crossing and decent pace and acceleration. Definitely looks like a wide player to me. Not good enough crossing, dribbling pace or acceleration to consistently beat defenders into the corner to cross, so I can't see him as a winger with an attacking role. Better to play as wide midfielder in support and let him pick his opportunities on offense and just take up the space on the left on defense.

ok have loaded up a proper save now, will be disapointed if I fail to make top 4 or european places for that mather, cant really make up my mind on tactics but maybe I will be best of playing the 4-5-1 tactic I used with barca

loaded:

Spain all leagues

France down to national

EPL

Serie A

should provide enough competition in europe, while on the same time role on faster speed then most my saves

whats the general concensus on Ocio? reading from his attributes it seams like there's 1-2 years left in him at most, while Amoeabieta and San José take the starting spots, and Aurtenetxe would due to his potential be 3rd chose. this put Ocio down as 4th (something that would make him decline faster since he aint geting enough playtime), so im thinking that I maybe could get by using Ramalho/Gurpegi and ditch Ocio

Ocio also dont have much to add in terms of mentoring...

edit: I ended up selling Ocio

and it seams like im starting to catch some kind of form after 3 averange friendlies

[video=youtube;pcFUig2XN4w]

whats the general concensus on Ocio? reading from his attributes it seams like there's 1-2 years left in him at most, while Amoeabieta and San José take the starting spots, and Aurtenetxe would due to his potential be 3rd chose. this put Ocio down as 4th (something that would make him decline faster since he aint geting enough playtime), so im thinking that I maybe could get by using Ramalho/Gurpegi and ditch Ocio

Ocio also dont have much to add in terms of mentoring...

In my first season, I sold off Ustaritz and used Aurtenetxe as third choice, with Ocio as fourth. He didn't play much, but did okay when he was on the pitch (he played 8 league matches for me). I let him go for free after the first season, and he went to Swansea where he retired after a season and he's now a scout. Second season I used Ramalho as fourth-choice, but then brought in Inaki Astiz as cover in my third season.

I agree, though, Ocio isn't really any good for tutoring- Athletic is lacking in good tutors.

In my first season, I sold off Ustaritz and used Aurtenetxe as third choice, with Ocio as fourth. He didn't play much, but did okay when he was on the pitch (he played 8 league matches for me). I let him go for free after the first season, and he went to Swansea where he retired after a season and he's now a scout. Second season I used Ramalho as fourth-choice, but then brought in Inaki Astiz as cover in my third season.

I agree, though, Ocio isn't really any good for tutoring- Athletic is lacking in good tutors.

even made Martinez captain and recalled de Cerio for tutoring

(I also recalled Zubiaurre to sell, no point to pay wages while he was not even at the club)

I used to sell Ocio and Ustaritz immediately, but I have kept them around my last few saves. I finally figured out how to use Ustaritz (Ball Playing Defender, Stopper) that minimize the mistakes he tends to make with a just plain defend role.

I find that San Jose struggles in big games, and so it is useful to have an older, more experienced mental stats player to have around for those situations. Ocio can fill that role. I have used Astiz in that role. Still, after playing numerous saves on FM10 and FM11, you won't regret selling Ocio or Ustaritz if you so choose.

Zubiarre always plays amazingly well for me the first season if I recall him from loan. I am then compelled to give him a new contract around 22K USD per week, and he always follows up with a very poor second season and I sell him off. My last two saves I am just leaving him on load and letting his contract expire. I bought Flano from Numancia to be my back-up DR in my latest save. The fans disapprove, but I feel he is a better long term back-up option than Zubiarre and thus well worth the 1.1M USD required to sign.

Ustaritz (who seams to be doing pretty well irl) and Zubiarre have been downright horrible for me on fm10, and they dont look one bit better now, so im not gonna gamble on them ^^

im aiming to give De Marcos, Susaeta and Toquero a much better chanse this time around however

transfers made so far, was having a stab at Ander for his £21m clauses, but his agent was not budging and wanted the same clause I was buying him for, which I was not so keen to provide:

athletictransfersearly.png

I was not really to fussy with the staff, and just collected a bunch of regulars:

athletictransfersstaff.png

Ustaritz has actually been pretty poor for Athletic the last few seasons (this season included), but did pretty well in his last game out against Barcelona.

I only watch Athletic on semi regular basis, maybe he have timed good preformances to when I have been watching :p

ouch that sucks, cant really recall if I have ever been sacked, but most be annoying to lose all hard work done so far

It is! Especially because my Euro Cup form was excellent and I was excited about my newgens- for the first time ever on FM I had not one, but THREE great newgens come generated into my youth system at once.

Public Service Announcement: Javi Martinez excels playing as a right midfielder (wide midfielder, support) in my basic 442 set up. My assistant manager recommended it after I was able to pick up Raul Garcia for 1.1M in the January transfer window. I waited until April of the first season to try it and Javi Martinez has scored a goal in each of his last 4 games with a 7.70 average rating from the spot.

I just entered May in the first season on the newest patch with Athletic, Barcelona and Real Madrid tied with 76 points each. Madrid has a game in hand. This is the first save that I kept Luciano Martin on as my assistant manager and I find that he is much better than his ratings suggest. I tend to have trouble against the low reputation teams, so on this save I take a holiday for a day and let Martin manage all of those games and he has a perfect record. At one point I let him control 5 games in a row until he finally lost to Getafe. Combine that with the MR recommendation for Javi Martinez and I think Martin should definitely be kept around.

My dilemma heading into the close season is Ion Velez. He has 10 goals and 2 assists in 14 starts and 5 substitute appearances. He is playing much better Toquero, but Toquero now has the club icon status which means I should probably keep him. De Cerio comes back from loan soon leaving me with 5 strikers. I see a parallel to my experiences with Zubiarre and that Velez is playing well in order to earn a new contract (he wants $22k USD + 9k per appearance) and then he will go back to being the 2.5 star player that my manager rates him as. I think I am going to sell him now that I have peaked his value.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got four seasons to update, so I'll be brief.

Just ending 2013-14 with Athletic Club, through to the UCL Final, unbeaten in 99 league games and counting, have just wrapped up a 3rd consecutive title with 5 games to go, and if I don't lose any of those, I'll have gone two consecutive seasons unbeaten... Had gone 75 games unbeaten in all comps until the 2012-13 CdR semi 2nd leg vs Sevilla.

History so far:

2010-11: League 3rd place, Copa del Rey Runner-up.

2011-12: League winners, Copa del Rey Winners, Supacopa de Espana runners-up. UCL Knockouts.

2012-13: League winners (undefeated), Copa del Rey Semi's, Supacopa de Espana winners. UCL Semi's.

2013-14: Current season: League winners (possibly unbeaten), Copa del Rey final vs Valencia, Supercopa de Espana winners, UCL Final vs Inter.

First-team signings:

Stepháne Ruffier (£6.5m), Francisco Alcácer (£1.7m) (2010-11)

Nestor Susaeta (£1m) (2011-12)

Cesar Azplilcueta (£15m), Ander (£10m) (2012-13)

All other signings have been aged <16 regens.

Newest regens, screens taken pre-season 2013-14:

Miguel Fernandez, poached from Barcelona. PA: 4.5*

Bruno Santamaria, also poached from Barcelona. PA: 4.5*

Oscar Macias, poached from Hercules. PA: 4.5*

Alejandro, poached from Espanyol. PA: 4*

Jose Antonio Pena, poached from Almeria. PA: 3.5*

Roberto Lafuente, the best player to come through the academy this season. PA: 4*

Jorge Jurado, poached from Sant Andreu. PA: 4.5*

What is frustrating for me is that David Lopez is given Workrate 1 in last patch and Gabilondo has Crossing 10. And every damn game when he plays commentators get wet about his crossing "being one of the best in Spain". And it's British commentators as I use betting site or English language streams for watching, depending on quality. So it's not only one commentator pair drooling.

Started an Athletic game, and had a really rough start to the season. Struggled to get a formation to work before moving to a 4-4-2 counter attacking, with high levels of pressing using Llorente as a target man and Muniain as a poacher. And boy did Muniain produce. He finished with 19 goals to the 14 of Llorente, as he ended up scrapping our way to a 6th place finish. We were far from convincing though and rarely won by more than goal, but had some big wins including at the Nou Camp and Atletico and at home to Real.

I went regen crazy to snap up some good 16 year olds, bought in Marcos Funetes (4 1/2 * pot) from Valencia, Cesar Azpilicueta (15m) and Ander (6.5m - Zaragoza went down) and am now looking to tweak my formation. I'll give is a few games using Muniain as a AML (inside forward) with Ander just behind the front man (Llorente). Sold San Jose because his attitude stunk (he complained about the discipline while he was out injured, came back and was rubbish, and I've stuck with Ustaritz, but year two will see Aurtenexte pushed through into the first team.

So season number two is starting up - this year is all about getting to the 60 point mark, a decent run in Europe and getting some first team experience for my talented youngsters. I've signed all my stars to long term deals, and have a plan to take Athletic to the Champs League and beyond.

End of 2013-14 update:

Table:

1314table.png

3rd consecutive title, 2nd consecutive season unbeaten, leading to:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/102unbeaten.png

Oh yeah! Also won the Copa del Rey, the Supacopa de Espana and the Champions League!!! :p

Awards:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/1314awards.png

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/apoty1314.png

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/1314uclawards.png

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/atoty1314.png

Competition history to date:

ahist14.png

Two new competitions to win next season, the UEFA Super Cup and the Club World Championship... Woohoo!

End of 2013-14 update:

Table:

1314table.png

3rd consecutive title, 2nd consecutive season unbeaten, leading to:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/102unbeaten.png

Oh yeah! Also won the Copa del Rey, the Supacopa de Espana and the Champions League!!! :p

Awards:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/1314awards.png

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/apoty1314.png

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/1314uclawards.png

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/atoty1314.png

Competition history to date:

ahist14.png

Two new competitions to win next season, the UEFA Super Cup and the Club World Championship... Woohoo!

AWESOME!

What formation do you use? I will be re-starting soon and am torn between giving my 4-4-2 another go or trying a 4-2-3-1 (with wingers) or a 4-2-4 (with wingers) both of which would use Muniain as a LW inside fwd.

Looks good! I use a similar tactic for my Spurs team right now and I've won the Champion's League, FA Cup, Club World Cup, and Euro Super Cup. In my third season I'm currently undefeated in the league in January. Llorente is on my team and led the Champ's League in scoring.

I don't know if I'll download your tactic directly, but may use ithat and my Spurs tactic as the basis for a new one when I start anew as Athletic (probably after 11.3).

I'm now Spain manager, thanks to Pep's flop at the 2014 WC. I have the opportunity to use it to my advantage: Real Madrid poached one of my youngsters, and part of the deal gets me £425k if he gets one cap. Question is, do I cap him once and collect on the deal now, just out of spite?

Started my Athletic Bilbao game last night. With an approximate 3.0m budget and a lack of Basque targets that i had a chance of buying, i managed to bring in just the one player. Jose Barkero joined for a fee of 800k. Hardly one for the future, but he has some decent technical stats and prefered moves which he could pass down to my youngsters. I play a 4-2-2-2 formation with the starting line up consisting of Iraizoz, Iraola, Amorebieta, San Jose, Koikilli, Gurpegi, J Martinez, Susaeta, Barkero, Muniain & Llorente.

I'm through the first 7 league games where Real Madrid have P7 W7 and Barcelona have P7 W6 D1. My record currently stands at P7 W3 D3 L1. Not too impressive, but within the first 10 league games we do have to play Barcelona, Valencia, At Madrid, Villarreal and Sevilla.

I will keep updating the thread, unfortunately no screen shots at present.

benroscrow: what kind of 4-2-2-2 is it? a box or a 4-4-2ish one with advanced wingers?

I'm using flat back 4, 2 central midfielders with the advanced wingers. Conceeding a fair few but scoring alot at the other end. I know it's not the 'done' thing as such - but i am tempted to experiment with a couple of tactics mentioned/uploaded in the tactic forum.

I love the idea of a challenge and through these first couple of months with Bilbao it seems to certainly be that. Lack of talent available at the moment. I appreciate with funds players like Ander, Azpilicueta & Arteta could make the move in future. I suppose i'll have to cross my fingers that good youth comes through. Hows your game going Falahk?...

im siting 4th a half year in on my first season, but other saves have distracted me a bit from playing athletic

but stuff really need to improve if im to match TG's preformance (dont think i will manage to pull that off), with that said I always seams to do better in my secound year, while my paying style is probably better suited for cup's and to have lots of games and competitions going on, on the same time

I love the idea of a challenge and through these first couple of months with Bilbao it seems to certainly be that. Lack of talent available at the moment. I appreciate with funds players like Ander, Azpilicueta & Arteta could make the move in future. I suppose i'll have to cross my fingers that good youth comes through.

Don't forget- you can poach any Spanish newgens who are 16 or under ;)

Played a bit more last night. Just entering January. Likewise i dont think i'll be matching TGs performance.

In the league i'm doing better than expected. I currently sit 4th behind Real, Barca and Valencia. One disapointed however, was the Copa Del Rey. An exit at the first stage to Zaragoza. Very annoying. The league form should keep the board and fans delighted though, if i can keep this run going i may (cross fingers) be able to hold that 4th spot.

I have managed to sign Flano (bosman) who will join end of season. I've also had bids for Ramalho who is attracting interest of the big spanish clubs. I've managed to give him approx 10 appearances so far. I shall keep my eye out for the new Spanish regens at the end of the year.

Llorente is my leading scorer with 14 goals in 17 games, my other forward Muniain some way behind with 8. The suprise package of the season has to be Susueta. He's notched in 10 goals and a load of assists. Llorente, Martinez and Amorebieta all gained Spanish caps.

Yeah, Susaeta so far has been a real hero. Must of won a ton of points on his own for me.

I found a decent basque regen with second nationality of Morocco. Has anyone on here managed to have a Basque footballer playing international football for a nation other than Spain?

Yeah, Susaeta so far has been a real hero. Must of won a ton of points on his own for me.

I found a decent basque regen with second nationality of Morocco. Has anyone on here managed to have a Basque footballer playing international football for a nation other than Spain?

Yep, had Ramalho choose Angola on a previous save, and of course Stepháne Ruffier for France...

Real Madrid lost on away goals to Almeria, while Atletico Madrid also went out, while I managed to beat barca 2-0 at the camp and lose 1-2 at memes

so stuff look really good, have a 6 point gap down to 5th place, and I will probably win the cup due to the mentioned results

Ok, just to post the latest updates from my save. (I really need post some screenshots but i'm updating from work).

I have finished season one in style. After putting together a fantastic 7 game winning run i managed to hold on to the champions league slot finishing fourth! The first stage exit of the cup was a disappointment but judging by the strength of the squad i don't think i'd have finished as high in the table if i'd have a good run.

Llorente finished top goalscorer with a very impressive 36 league goals - which was enough for the golden boot. Muniain finished with 19. As stated in a previous post i have to give managers player of the season to Susueta. He was an ever present - notched in with several important goals (Pedro-esque).

The surprise of the season was Barkero (the only signing i made for 800k). He occupied the left wing role and scored 10 goals along with 28 assists. The highest in the league.

I have Flano coming on a bosman soon and managed to agree a deal with Zaragoza for Ander (9.75m). At the stage where i'm waiting the new youth products to be promoted which i'm eagerly anticipating. One more season until the new stadium too.

Teams are starting to unsettle Llorente, Muniain and Martinez. Competition wise - Real Madrid won the treble. They beat Barcelona in CL final and beat Valencia in Copa Del Rey.

On a down note Iraola picked up a terrible cruciate ligament injury and will be out 10 months to a year. However his has given Ramalho a lot more playing time and his stats have rapidly improved because of this.

2010/2011 Season Summary

La Liga

athleticleauge1.png

I safely achived my goal, champions league football, cant say we was particularly outstanding, a few injuries to key players like Muniain, Javi Matinez, Gabilondo and Susaeta obviously hamperd us to some extent

Copa Del Rey

we made it all the way to the final only to get beaten by Espanyol on pens, not quite what I had expected after beating the likes of Barcelona and Sevilla on my way there, will have to hope for better luck next time

Players

Top Goalscorers

Fernando Llorente - 20

Gaizka Toquero - 12

Mikel San José/Javi Martinez - 8

Oscar De Marcos/Igor Gabilondo - 7

Markel Susaeta/Ander Iturraspe - 4

Top Providers

Andoni Iraola - 15

Fernando Llorente - 11

Gaizka Toquero - 7

Markel Susaeta/Oscar De Marcos - 6

Carlos Gurpegi - 5

Transfers

I was happy with the deals made in the first window, and I dont really feel the need to post the same info again, my transfers made in year 1 can hence be found in post #217

Nice one Falahk! Champions league football!

Looking forward to seeing your transfers for season 2. Hopefully you get some great youth players from the cantera. Crossing my fingers for that myself too. Going to look into possible deals for Monreal, Raul Garcia and Ruffier.

have already signed Ander for £8,75m from relegated Zaragoza, roughly half the price I payed on fm10 (and its pretty close to what Athletic have bought him for irl), I have also snapped up a start of the game regen from Barca (well not really since they poached him from Osasuna in the first window)

and well, I would have needed to do something horribly wrong if I failed to make the top 4 ;)

Archived