FM 2011: What Team Should I Be?

Guest roberto922

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, hope you can provide me with a team that matches the following criteria.

- in lovely Europe

- preferably no powerhouses (e.g. MU)

- willing to go down to 2nd division (e.g. Serie B)

- small-ish squad

- most important: a fun save where I can sense an affiliation with the team as I don't support any club in real life (being in Malaysia) and that has made it hard for me to get into the game and enjoy it. However, if you could suggest a club in a state and country which is also a lovely honeymoon destination and/or a club which I can follow through online blogs, that would be awesome.

Apologies if the criteria is too restricting (weird). Thank you in advance :)

Justin.

It's a sub top club so not sure if that is too big for you, it's however no powerhouse at all. My recommendation is Palermo, it's a club which is not afraid to play and buy lots of youngsters and they have had success with it. The squad isn't too big but not extremely small either but easily one of the clubs I have had the most fun with in FM.

Also it's a amazing vacation/honeymoon destination, got a great beach and some very nice people living there, the stadium is also great and got a mountain close to it making it pretty spectacular if you should ever go there.

I've started a save with Krasnodar in the Russian 2nd tier. Starting transfer budget of £8M and £15M in the bank, the squad is actually very healthy compared to the previous patches so you shouldn't need to spend too much (I spent a total of £350k)

Difficulty: Probably 3-4 in the first season but i'd imagine the top flight would be tough once up there.

Are there any teams in Europe that makes you field a certain amount of natives?

I think they are all going towards that way to be fair, even England. I think what you will find from a lot of nations is that you are limited at the amount of foreign footballers you are aloud to have in the squad.

I think Spain has its limits, but not sure what they are.

In the cup Germany has no more than 3 foreigners which got me quite excited for the challenge but the league it only has a limit of 3 players who havnt been registered with a different team sadly.

Im not sure about France, Portugal, Holland ect so I am not certain.

Load up a save with a lot of nations on it & add yourself as a manager at a team from each nation just to check out the limitations. Or look at the fixtures because it usually has the rules attatched to each fixture of what your aloud.

It's a sub top club so not sure if that is too big for you, it's however no powerhouse at all. My recommendation is Palermo, it's a club which is not afraid to play and buy lots of youngsters and they have had success with it. The squad isn't too big but not extremely small either but easily one of the clubs I have had the most fun with in FM.

Also it's a amazing vacation/honeymoon destination, got a great beach and some very nice people living there, the stadium is also great and got a mountain close to it making it pretty spectacular if you should ever go there.

Awesome. Was looking at Italy too, for the likes Fiorentina (Florence) or Roma (Rome) and Italy for their culture and history. Thanks, will give them a go! :)

Justin.

Like you forest, I struggled to find a team to put my heart and soul in but just started a save with bradford and really enjoying it. I suggest maybe a team like crawley, afc wimbledon or maybe luton. They are enjoyable teams to be.

Club: Arsenal

Division: Premier League

Transfer Budget: £19.5 million if you decide to aim for the Title.

Board Expectation: At the lowest, European Qualification through League Position.

Key Players: Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Robin van Persie, Thomas Vermaelen & Gael Clichy

Pros: Great starting Squad but,you can completley change the Team If you want. Finacially Very Good with am excellent Youth Academy & Training Facilities.

Cons: NONE! :D

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): If you'r gonna buy Big around a 3-4 but, If you want to do it the Arsene way, through Youth, possibly a 5 to a 6, possibly a 7.

Additional Information: JUST MAKE AN ARSENAL SAVE & DON'T OPT FOR SPURS! ;)

Cesc+Nasri+RVP=SexyFootball.

hoping somebody will be able to help me find a team within my criteria...

in europe but NOT england

not in the top division in their country

have a 35k+ stadium

some decent youngsters (but not essential)

1860 Munich? They use Bayern's stadium which they use to co-own but sold their share to pay debts and now rent it. I think they have a few decent younger players but not sure.

Also Real Betis got relegated two years ago and play in Segunda Division. 50k+ stadium and it should be possible to get promotion first season. They didn't have any good youngsters when I played with them in FM10 though.

hoping somebody will be able to help me find a team within my criteria...

in europe but NOT england

not in the top division in their country

have a 35k+ stadium

some decent youngsters (but not essential)

Betis

Hertha Berlin, actually if you look in that second division in Germany, there are a couple of teams that meet your criteria.

Probably some teams in second italian division also.

Well, im looking for a team not necesarily in the top divison but i d like to start in the 2nd highest division or maybe even a little lower. Has some money to spend also has a smallish stadium (again, doesant need to be)

Im not bothered if their in the bottom or top division tooo much also.

Just looking for a fun save with a team who has some budget to spend =) also having some good youth is a plus.

Well, im looking for a team not necesarily in the top divison but i d like to start in the 2nd highest division or maybe even a little lower. Has some money to spend also has a smallish stadium (again, doesant need to be)

Im not bothered if their in the bottom or top division tooo much also.

Just looking for a fun save with a team who has some budget to spend =) also having some good youth is a plus.

QPR or Southampton in England would be perfect. Although Southamptons stadium doesn't fit your criteria but everything else is a go.

Hey, either a team from England, Italy, Spain or Germany.

Looking for a top division side, with a good budget, who are a mid-table to lower-half team who I could build up.

Thanks.

Udinese, Malaga, Hoffenheim, Villa.

In that order of my preference.

A "sleeping giant" in Holland.

Team with decent resources but haven't won anything this century, or recently been relegated.

Many thanks.

In all honesty your looking at anyone except Ajax, PSV, Twente or AZ. Feyenoord could come into this category but they are on a massive downward spiral at the moment so they could be your team. October 2010 saw them lose 10-0 to PSV as well :p

Other teams I would look at are NAC Breda, Vitesse, Heerenveen from the Eredivise (or however its spelt) and from the 2nd Division I would look at Sparta Rotterdam, Eindhoven, RKC, Volendam.

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a lower league team in England, Italy, France, or Germany. I'm looking for a team that has a chance to contend for promotion in the first or second season and needs a little bit of work to get them there. If its an English club I would prefer League 1 or lower. Thanks!

Barrow AFC, who are in the Blue Square Premier, can get promotion in the first or second season if you work very hard to achieve it. The new patch has made them very challanging to play imo.

I've currently got my usual long term Lyon save on the go, but I’m struggling to get into another save to run alongside it.

Any suggestions are welcome based on the following:

1) Must be a European Club (love the Champions League)

2) I want a club that starts off with a young squad with plenty of potential

3) Decent finances, so I can dip into the transfer market if necessary

4) I use a 4-2-2-2 formation comprising a back four, two centre midfielders (a Ball Winning Midfielder & Deep Lying Playmaker), two wingers & two strikers (a Poacher & an Advanced Forward)

I don’t want much :p

PS. I am on patch 11.3

Spurs Spikester.

Or Napoli.

Or Palermo.

Or Genoa.

Or Atletico Madrid.

Or Dortmund.

I'm sure you answer Spurs to everything Edgar :p

Dortmund was one I was considering as they have some quality young players. I will take a look at the others too.

Club: Gateshead

Division: Blue Square Premier

Transfer Budget: £16k (I think)

Board Expectation: Avoid Relegation

Key Players: Ben Clark, Kris Gate, Gary Mulligan

Pros: Really fun save, especially for a long term save, underwriter chairman which is fantastic and have an 11795 capacity stadium for a BSP team

Cons: Not a good team to start with, will need to change a lot of the team but that makes it interesting

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 7 (Quite easy in the first 2 seasons but then it gets more challenging without it being too challenging you want to quit)

Additional Information: Has an underwriter chairman which is great especially in the higher leagues because he will never make the club go bankrupt

Thread for Gateshead - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/242161-FM11-Gateshead-thread-The-Heed-Army

Perfect save I would say if you either want a long term save or a lower league save :)

I'm really having a hard time finding a club to start a long save with. I cant just find a club I can have fun with. Hope you guys can help me out. Heres my criteria

1) European based club that isnt in its top division (preferably something outside of England as Ive tried many different English clubs now)

2) Can challenge for promotion in first or second season

3) Has a team that need s a little bit of work just to get it over the edge

4) A team that could fit into a 4-3-3 (4-5-1)

Thanks!

I'm really having a hard time finding a club to start a long save with. I cant just find a club I can have fun with. Hope you guys can help me out. Heres my criteria

1) European based club that isnt in its top division (preferably something outside of England as Ive tried many different English clubs now)

2) Can challenge for promotion in first or second season

3) Has a team that need s a little bit of work just to get it over the edge

4) A team that could fit into a 4-3-3 (4-5-1)

Thanks!

They are in England but why not try Nottingham Forest. Here is the Nottingham Forest Team Guide. You have seven strikers on the books and a lot of centre midfielders. You lack the wide men for a 4-3-3 but Paul Anderson is good enough and Garath McCleary is an able back up for the eight. So it's just the left really :thup:.

Like has been said Forest is a good one even though you said outside of England. Other suggestions are

Spain- Betis, Valladolid, Tenerife (or for outsiders go for Granada or Celta)

Germany - Hertha, 1860 Munchen (or go a division further down and pick Rostock, everything is in place to get them back up and then finally consolidate in the top flight, bar the money but you'd have 2 seasons to build on that)

France, GF 38, Le Mans, Havre, USBCO

Italy - Torino (shocked there's been no team thread so far this year, a club with so much history deserves to be playing in a higher level)

They are the ones I can think of, they mightn't fit your formation straight away but all have good cases to be picked.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I might give Nottingham Forest a look even though they are in England, I just really like the structure in England and always thought it would be cool to get a lower league team into the Premier League. Love the German leagues as well. never played in France or Italy so might be fun. Spain is alright too. Anyways, guess I've got to decide now. Thanks again!

In all honesty your looking at anyone except Ajax, PSV, Twente or AZ. Feyenoord could come into this category but they are on a massive downward spiral at the moment so they could be your team. October 2010 saw them lose 10-0 to PSV as well :p

Other teams I would look at are NAC Breda, Vitesse, Heerenveen from the Eredivise (or however its spelt) and from the 2nd Division I would look at Sparta Rotterdam, Eindhoven, RKC, Volendam.

Thanks. :thup:

I quite like the look of Sparta. They have a cool name.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I might give Nottingham Forest a look even though they are in England, I just really like the structure in England and always thought it would be cool to get a lower league team into the Premier League. Love the German leagues as well. never played in France or Italy so might be fun. Spain is alright too. Anyways, guess I've got to decide now. Thanks again!

You won't be let down by Forest. Give them a try :thup:.

Looking to try something a bit different and play a save where I basically limit my squad to U-23's, so what I'm looking for is a club...

-within Europe, but don't need to be involved in European football this season

-with a decent young team already in place

-with the resources to start snapping up some youth players from the outside, both domestically and, in time, internationally (I said "in time", so I don't need to be able to afford/attract the latest high priced wonderkids right away, but it would be nice if I could in a decades time or so)

-outside the Big 4 leagues, maybe one of the middling leagues that I don't try as much (Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, etc.), Portugal would be fine but I'd rather stay away from the Benfica/Porto/Sporting triumvirate

-somewhat liberal foreign player rules, but I'm willing to work around them if I have to

I'm guessing a top-ish team from a middling league (something like Anderlecht?) would be my best bet. Any suggestions?

Anderlecht yes, but I think the challenge domestically would be to easy once you win the league title. Europe is another matter however.

Why not look into Eastern Europe. Zenit, CSKA Moscow, Lokamotiv Moscow, Shaktar.

If you go to Portugal look at Braga.

Otherwise my suggestions would be Basel, Ajax, Hoffenheim, Malaga, Toulouse, St. Ettienne.

Looking to try something a bit different and play a save where I basically limit my squad to U-23's, so what I'm looking for is a club...

-with the resources to start snapping up some youth players from the outside, both domestically and, in time, internationally (I said "in time", so I don't need to be able to afford/attract the latest high priced wonderkids right away, but it would be nice if I could in a decades time or so)

-outside the Big 4 leagues, maybe one of the middling leagues that I don't try as much (Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, etc.), Portugal would be fine but I'd rather stay away from the Benfica/Porto/Sporting triumvirate

-somewhat liberal foreign player rules, but I'm willing to work around them if I have to

I'm guessing a top-ish team from a middling league (something like Anderlecht?) would be my best bet. Any suggestions?

Standard would be a better bet than Anderlecht if you was to pick Belgium imo. You have the added bonus of not being expected to win the league which gives you a bit of time (even though it certainly is possible to win the league with the starting squad) You'd also have better facilities than Anderlecht and more money to spend than them.

Sparta Prague is another option. Their facilities aren't quite top notch but if you make the group stage of the CL then you'd easily be able to afford an upgrade. You'd also have the bonus of a playable B team to bed in youngsters not quite ready for the top flight.

I presume by big 4 leagues you mean Eng, Ita, Spa and Ger. So i would suggest PSG in Ligue 1. They are not a top French team, but should be. Or Toulouse FC. Obviously Ligue 1 is a step higher than Austria, Belgium etc, but also a competitive league.

Ajax or Anderlecht.

^ Kind of takes the fun out of playing the game, no?

Best team to start with to build an all-British squad?

Aston Villa probably have the best starting squad as far as British talent but don't have as much money as the bigger teams. Chelsea and City have the money to do it but you'll have to get rid of a lot of people. Liverpool, Utd and Tottenham all have money have some pieces in place. I'd still probably go with Villa, it'd be a nice challenge.

Archived