FMS Community Thread / Episode V / Sponsored By Fernando Torres

tenthreeleader

I was a big fan of Robbie Fowler. Flirting with the anger of our Liverpool contingent, if he had stuck with football and not got distracted by "other stuff" I feel he would have had a bigger piece of Premiership history than Shearer.

Totally agree with you. Fowler is not even 36 yet, but his career at the top level effectively ended in 2001, when he was just 26. If he'd have had the four or five more years at the top that his talent deserved, he would be considered one of the very best, in my opinion. He was never the same after the bust up with Phil Thompson and once he left it was a slow spiral downwards.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, going with Terk here, sadness not anger. I still don't understand the people who thought, at the time, that Owen was a better player than Fowler. Fowler,on his day, was awesome. There were truly days when he lived up to his nickname, and it's sad that he didn't make as much of his career as he could have.

Anyway,
. 01:32 is just godly.

The Ronaldo of '94 - '98 was truly one of the best players I have ever seen. Such a shame that injuries/fatness took such a toll on him after that. He still scored plenty of goals at Real, but he was never the same player as he was for Barça and in that first season at Inter.

How was the show?

The show was totally disappointing, unfortunately. For some strange reason the venue was tiny and the sound abysmal, the bass drowned out the actuall music and it was like listening to one long bassline. Then we had a couple beside us who were practically doing it on our table and kept bumping into us. Then there was the 15 year old in front of us who was absolutely trolleyed and ended up spewing everywhere as a result of some drunken headbanging.

Fowler was only great in a Liverpool shirt. Everywhere else he was garbage, and at international level his failings were exposed very early doors. A legend of the premiership certainly though (120+ goals speaks for itself).

I was never a big Ronaldo fan either, truth be told. He had a very patchy career. How many truly good domestic seasons did he have in 15 years? Probably not many. He scored goals at the highest level but then he was playing for Brazil wasn't he? I wouldn't rate his goalscoring as impressive as say, Suker's exploits for Croatia, or Stoichkov for Bulgaria. Stick any premiership striker in the Brazil squad and he'd score a bagful too.

Ronaldo was great when fully fit and under 27. You wouldn't have wanted to pay a fortune for him though. Too unreliable. Too inconsistant.

Fowler was only great in a Liverpool shirt. Everywhere else he was garbage, and at international level his failings were exposed very early doors. A legend of the premiership certainly though (120+ goals speaks for itself).

I was never a big Ronaldo fan either, truth be told. He had a very patchy career. How many truly good domestic seasons did he have in 15 years? Probably not many. He scored goals at the highest level but then he was playing for Brazil wasn't he? I wouldn't rate his goalscoring as impressive as say, Suker's exploits for Croatia, or Stoichkov for Bulgaria. Stick any premiership striker in the Brazil squad and he'd score a bagful too.

Ronaldo was great when fully fit and under 27. You wouldn't have wanted to pay a fortune for him though. Too unreliable. Too inconsistant.

1993, Cruzeiro: 12 goals, 14 apps in league; 10 goals, 12 apps in Copa Lib; 22 goals, 18 apps in Campeonato Mineiro (1994)

1994-1995 PSV: 30 goals, 33 apps in league; 2 goals, 1 app in KNVB Cup; 3 goals, 2 apps in Europe

1994-1996 PSV: 12 goals, 13 apps in league; 1 goal, 3 apps in KNVB Cup; 6 goals, 5 apps in Europe

1996-1997 Barcelona: 34 goals, 37 apps in league; 8 goals, 5 apps in Copa del Rey; 5 goals, 7 apps in Europe

1997-1998 Inter: 25 goals, 32 apps in league; 3 goals, 4 apps in Coppa Italia; 6 goals, 11 apps in Europe

1998-1999 Inter: 14 goals, 19 apps in league; 0 goals, 3 apps in Coppa; 1 goal, 6 apps in Europe

1999-2000 Inter: 3 goals, 7 apps in league, 0 goals, 1 app in Coppa. Injured

2000-2001 Inter: Injured

2001-2002 Inter: 7 goals, 10 apps in league; 0 goals, 1 app in Coppa; 0 goals, 5 apps in Europe

2002-2003 Real Madrid: 23 goals, 31 apps in league; 0 goals, 1 app in Copa; 7 goals, 12 apps in Europe

2003-2004 Real Madrid: 24 goals, 32 apps in league; 3 goals, 7 apps in Copa; 4 goals, 9 apps in Europe

2004-2005 Real Madrid: 21 goals, 34 apps in league; 0 goals, 1 app in Copa; 3 goals, 10 apps in Europe

2005-2006 Real Madrid: 14 goals, 23 apps in league; 1 goal, 2 apps in Copa; 0 goals, 2 apps in Europe

2006-2007 Real Madrid: 1 goal, 7 apps in league; 1 goal, 2 apps in Copa; 2 goals, 4 apps in Europe

2006-2007 AC Milan: 7 goals, 14 apps in league

2007-2008 AC Milan: 2 goals, 6 apps in league

2009 Corinthians: 12 goals, 20 apps in league; 8 goals, 10 apps in Campeonato Paulista

2010 Conrinthians: 6 goals, 11 apps in league; 3 goals, 7 apps in Copa Lib; 3 goals, 9 matches in Campeonato Paulista

2011 Corinthians: 0 goals, 2 apps in Copa Lib; 0 goals, 2 apps in Campeonato Paulista

Grand totals in domestic play: 352 goals in 515 league, cup and continental matches.

A lost season around the turn of the century due to debilitating injury, and a steep decline after suffering said injury a second time while with AC Milan. Beyond that, Scott, I have to say your words hold no water.

EDIT: I was told there would be no math, but for those who are curious, that's a lifetime 0.68 goals per game ratio in all competitions. 0.72 in league play. And 0.53 in continental play. I'd have mortgaged whole teams for that.

Fowler was an odd one. He had the game that should have held up well to age, but never did once he left Liverpool at what should have been the peak of his career. Internationally, he did always have Shearer in his way, so you have to excuse him there. Andy Cole suffered for similar reasons.

Ronaldo...well, up to age 30, his goalscoring record cannot be faulted. If his battles with weight were largely down to his metabolism slowing, you can't really criticise him too much for the last 3 or 4 years either.

I do completely disagree with devaluing his international goals because they were for Brazil. Yes, his teammates are better, but Croatia and Bulgaria play half their games against dross like San Marino and Estonia, whereas Brazil's only real easy games are the stupid money-spinning waste of time internationals in the middle east, and I'm not even sure they had too many of them back when Ronaldo was a regular.

Ronaldo did score against the likes of Morocco, China and Costa Rica as among his World Cup goals.

I'd put the argument that Brazil qualifies for more tournaments and therefore have more matches for Ronaldo to score.

Ronaldo's record was 62 goals in 97 games. Davor Suker had 45 in 69 (Wiki has a breakdown. Suker scored a good number against Spain, Italy and Germany). Hristo Stoichkov had 37 in 83.

Ronaldo did score against the likes of Morocco, China and Costa Rica as among his World Cup goals.

I'd put the argument that Brazil qualifies for more tournaments and therefore have more matches for Ronaldo to score.

Ronaldo's record was 62 goals in 97 games. Davor Suker had 45 in 69 (Wiki has a breakdown. Suker scored a good number against Spain, Italy and Germany). Hristo Stoichkov had 37 in 83.

Ehh...during the era of Stoichkov and Suker, their respective national teams were qualifying for more than a few tournaments (world cups, euro cups, etc.). Brazil doesn't exactly have any more than that available to them. Copa America, World Cup....Confederations Cup maybe?

Ehh...during the era of Stoichkov and Suker, their respective national teams were qualifying for more than a few tournaments (world cups, euro cups, etc.). Brazil doesn't exactly have any more than that available to them. Copa America, World Cup....Confederations Cup maybe?

Tournaments Ronaldo played in: World Cups 1998, 2002, 2006. Copa America 1997, 1999. Confederations Cup 1997

Tournaments Suker played in: Euro 96, World Cup 1998, World Cup 2002 (played half a match, did not score).

Tournaments Stoichkov played in: World Cup 1994, Euro 96, World Cup 1998 (did not score)

Got to agree with stoehrst, that record speaks legend to me. He was one of the most clinical strikers of the modern age. And looking at Stoichkov's record, he scored 21 of his 37 international goals over a three year period in an international career dating thirteen years.

What you posted Ben says that them two were great at scoring in qualifiers and in the odd tournament.

Comparing Suker, Stoitchkov and Ronaldo based on national team records, and performances in major tournaments is like comparing George Best to Maradona and Pele based on the same criteria.

Its a similar argument to the Darren Bent argument. Is Bent better than Drogba or Rooney because he has scored as many goals but at worse clubs? How would Drogba or Rooney do with the worse service at Sunderland? How would Bent do with a team less geared to his strengths at Chelsea or Man U?

In short, Ronaldo is the best striker of the last 20 years, without doubt. The fact that C.Ronaldo and Messi are equal in terms of goalscoring ability despite playing deeper and wider in general says a lot for the overall talent of those two players.

Crazy scenes from Gattuso at the end of that match, although to be honest he was running around all match looking like he wanted to start a brawl with soemone. I would be amazed if he didn't get slapped with a 5+ match ban for that. I mean, a post-match, unprovoked assault on a non-playing staff member of the opposite team? The only thing worse would have been if he headbutted the ref! (and on a similar note, the only thing funnier would be if he had headbutted Flash 'Arry!)

On the other hand, great result for the Spuds, and they will be very good value to go through (I did think Europe would suit them, and Milan was certainly an opponent that could be done over with their style). The performance was very solid and dynamic, and as a result, Milan just never got going at all.

The other tie is fairly evenly balanced, but neither of those teams suggest to me that they're going much further in the tournament...

Don't complain....you're Scottish, and don't have to see every positive result for that horrible team bringing your national team closer to being managed by Harry bloody Redknapp.

I will laugh so long and so hard when that happens. And you do have the consolation that your national team actually qualifies for major tournaments (as long as you stay away from umbrella wielding wallies, of course).

12 years and counting.

I will laugh so long and so hard when that happens. And you do have the consolation that your national team actually qualifies for major tournaments (as long as you stay away from umbrella wielding wallies, of course).

12 years and counting.

In all honesty, it just puts the embarrassment back by eight months or so. And your embarrassment is generally only caused by the likes of Chris Iwelumo (and other team mates). Ours is a national embarrassment which manages to take place not only on the pitch, but also in TV studios and newspaper offices for months before and afterwards. There is nothing I hate more than the sports media in this country. Except Gareth Barry.

In short, Ronaldo is the best striker of the last 20 years, without doubt

I would put Henry far ahead of Ronaldo. I don't think I'll ever see one player perform like Henry did during all those years in an Arsenal shirt. Lit up the premiership. It wasn't just the quantity of goals he scored either but the quality of them. So many pearlers.

I would put Henry far ahead of Ronaldo. I don't think I'll ever see one player perform like Henry did during all those years in an Arsenal shirt. Lit up the premiership. It wasn't just the quantity of goals he scored either but the quality of them. So many pearlers.

Valid viewpoint. Not one I agree with, but enough to make me remove the "without doubt" from my original phrase. Both players had around the same number of seasons at their peak, although Henry's were in succession, rather than either side of a serious injury.

So just watched The Pacific over the last two nights, and while it was okay, it was a big let down on BoB.

For me it jumped around to much on the characters and there wasn't the sort of camaraderie that there was in BoB, which is strange considering the Pacific is suppose to be about three central characters and BoB about Easy Company.

I don't think there was one character in their that I genuinely liked, or can remember to much about, specifically, in truth I can hardly remember most of their names.

It also seemed less real for me, more like a movie.

One thing I love about BoB was the narrative at the start, that made it more real and I most likely helped me to get into the characters more, while I realise that everyone was dead by time they made the mini series for Pacific I just can't get passed it being just another War movie/mini series.

Well there is that mate, im just waiting for it to go tits up with our lot like it normally does towards the end of the season

Ha you look a decent shout for the playoffs though Worksop and Buxton could put you out with their games in hand. I must say without a certain Mr Hannah you wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs. See you next season ;)

Ha you look a decent shout for the playoffs though Worksop and Buxton could put you out with their games in hand. I must say without a certain Mr Hannah you wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs. See you next season ;)

More than likely, as long as its not against buxton.... Mr.hannah. Will keep us goin

More than likely, as long as its not against buxton.... Mr.hannah. Will keep us goin

I'm quite surprised a team in the conference or conference north hasn't had a punt on him yet. I think he's on 38 goals in every competition so far this season and we are only in February. Biggest mistake our manager has made letting him go :(

Just to take the topic of discussion back the what this thread was designed for, Liverpool have picked a pretty young squad for the Europa League trip to Prague. Raheem Sterling is in line to become the club's youngest ever player (16 yrs, 71 days) should he make it on. He scored five in a 9-0 win over Southend in the FA Youth Cup on Monday. Conor Coady, Jack Flanagan, Jack Robinson and Thomas Ince (all from the U-18 squad) have been included in the squad as well.

Just as an aside, this news is being greeted as Dalglish being forward thinking and giving exciting young players a chance. Had Benítez picked exactly the same squad in exactly the same circumstances, I'm certain he would have been pilloried for not taking seriously the club's only chance to win silverware. Always amuses me to look at things like that.

Just to take the topic of discussion back the what this thread was designed for, Liverpool have picked a pretty young squad for the Europa League trip to Prague. Raheem Sterling is in line to become the club's youngest ever player (16 yrs, 71 days) should he make it on. He scored five in a 9-0 win over Southend in the FA Youth Cup on Monday. Conor Coady, Jack Flanagan, Jack Robinson and Thomas Ince (all from the U-18 squad) have been included in the squad as well.

Just as an aside, this news is being greeted as Dalglish being forward thinking and giving exciting young players a chance. Had Benítez picked exactly the same squad in exactly the same circumstances, I'm certain he would have been pilloried for not taking seriously the club's only chance to win silverware. Always amuses me to look at things like that.

I saw that, but then saw the full squad he'd taken...

I think I'm right in saying the normal European squad is 19-20 players. We've taken 23, so we can easily pick a squad with none of those five youngsters. It could be argued, and is probably true, that Dalglish is taking them largely for the experience of a European away day.

The media thing is annoying, yet so are the fans. The differing attitudes between anything Benitez did compared to Dalglish or Hodgson doing the same are terrible. As are the fans responses to Dalglish doing the same as Hodgson. Hodgson was lambasted by our fans for crediting the opposition too much in interviews, yet Dalglish has done exactly the same.

Still, its all hidden agendas. As pointed out in F365's Mediawatch column repeatedly, the writings of some journalists in regard to Fabio Capello since the World Cup have been nothing short of disgraceful. Its easy to write when you've got a (not too hidden) agenda. Our media is very much of the "get those dirty foreign managers OUT of our country" (which is, incidentally, quite odd, with just under a third of Premier League managers, coming from a single city which, when I last checked, wasn't even in England)

A myriad of quite possibly not complemenatry views from myself on this one......

1) if Raheem Sterling turns out as good as everyone says, then NESV, FSG, KFC - whatever they are called now, will be ecstatic, another quality forward ?, not much outlay ? the business plan in action.

2) NESV/FSG/KFC/King Kenny/Every Liverpool Fan/The cast of the Archers, etc, etc, etc, would love to see Liverpool produce their own Jack Wilshire, Theo Walcott, whoever type of teen phenomenon - why do only Arsenal ever have these ? (ok I know the answer for Chelski - they loan theirs out to Burnley)

3) It's about time the youth policy at Liverpool actually did something.

4) Beating Southend's U-18 6-0 does not a team of world beaters make.

Edit: Plus what Bri says.

I saw that, but then saw the full squad he'd taken...

I think I'm right in saying the normal European squad is 19-20 players. We've taken 23, so we can easily pick a squad with none of those five youngsters. It could be argued, and is probably true, that Dalglish is taking them largely for the experience of a European away day.

Exactly, should have mentioned this. Matchday European squad is 18, so it is likely that only one of the youngsters taken (probably either John Flanagan or Thomas Ince) will be in the actual squad (one of the three 'keepers taken will not be included, most likely Gulacsi). It's Kenny doing the same as he did for the trip to Wolves when Coady and Suso travelled with the squad, gaining them experience.

Agree with your point about the fans, there was a large section of Liverpool fans who were going to criticise Hodgson no matter what he did. Yet, as you say, they now praise Dalglish for doing exactly the same.

And I'm all for anything that means there are fewer Glaswegians in Scotland. Every English club can have one in charge as far as I'm concerned.

2) NESV/FSG/KFC/King Kenny/Every Liverpool Fan/The cast of the Archers, etc, etc, etc, would love to see Liverpool produce their own Jack Wilshire, Theo Walcott, whoever type of teen phenomenon - why do only Arsenal ever have these ? (ok I know the answer for Chelski - they loan theirs out to Burnley)

Just to be obtuse, but technically Liverpool have as many fully academy grown players in their side as Arsenal do. As far as I'm aware, Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs are the only two in the Arsenal academy who have come all the way through that system. Everyone else has at some poin been signed from another professional cub (be it at 16, 17, 18 years old, whatever).

Just to be obtuse, but technically Liverpool have as many fully academy grown players in their side as Arsenal do. As far as I'm aware, Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs are the only two in the Arsenal academy who have come all the way through that system. Everyone else has at some poin been signed from another professional cub (be it at 16, 17, 18 years old, whatever).

Without wanting to nitpick, but three is more than two, with Martin Kelly now a proper squad member and better than that - seemingly, first teamer too.

Emmanuel Frimpong, Jay-Emmanuel Thomas, Henri Lansbury and Craig Eastmond are part of the first team squad this season, although of course not regulars.

And I'm all for anything that means there are fewer Glaswegians in Scotland. Every English club can have one in charge as far as I'm concerned.

I'm refusing to believe Dalglish is a Glaswegian, no matter what his accent or birth certificate says.

He has demonstrated more cheer in his month in charge than Moyes, Ferguson or McLeish have done in their entire careers. Coyle is not too bad. Whatsit at Blackburn is just bald.

Emmanuel Frimpong, Jay-Emmanuel Thomas, Henri Lansbury and Craig Eastmond are part of the first team squad this season, although of course not regulars.

And are all listed amongst the reserve team on Arsenal.com :p Hence why I didn't include Jay Spearing, Stephen Darby or Nathan Eccleston for Liverpool, all of whom have played for the first team this season.

I'm refusing to believe Dalglish is a Glaswegian, no matter what his accent or birth certificate says.

He has demonstrated more cheer in his month in charge than Moyes, Ferguson or McLeish have done in their entire careers. Coyle is not too bad. Whatsit at Blackburn is just bald.

We can send Jimmy Calderwood down to take a job. He's unemployed at the moment and would certainly help the rest of them cancel out Dalglish's unGlaswegian cheeriness.

Archived