FMS Community Thread / Episode V / Sponsored By Fernando Torres

tenthreeleader

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EDIT: I have reviewed this statement and realise that I may, in fact, be wrong.

Apologies to 10-3 for doubting his greater knowledge. :)

LOL ... well, greater knowledge about SOMETHING. Evidently it's not real football. I think my predictions took one right between the shoulder blades this week. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_games

To paraphrase: "In North America, a bowl game is commonly considered to refer to one of a number of post-season college football games. Prior to 2002, bowl game statistics were not included in players' career totals and the games were mostly considered to be exhibition games involving a payout to participating teams, which had to meet strict eligibility requirements."

"In recent years, the term "bowl" has become synonymous with any major American football event, generally collegiate football with some significant exceptions (see Super Bowl). One example is the Iron Bowl, a nickname given to the annual game between the University of Alabama Crimson Tide and the Auburn University Tigers."

"In recent years, the term "bowl" has become synonymous with any major American football event, generally collegiate football with some significant exceptions (see Super Bowl).

And, unfortunately, minor ones as well. There are so many college post-season games involving mediocre teams that the term has been trampled.

Exhibit B of such trampling: "I think 'Avatar' was a great movie." No. Casablanca was a great movie. Avatar was decent.

Carry on.

Exhibit B of such trampling: "I think 'Avatar' was a great movie." No. Casablanca was a great movie. Avatar was decent.

Avatar was a terrible movie with a terrible script, terrible dialogue and laughably poor acting that many were fooled into thinking was a 'great' film because it looked very pretty. I f*cking hated that movie.

They used to be called bowl games because they were played in the original American "bowl" stadiums. The Rose Bowl in Pasadena, for example. Or the Sugar Bowl, the Cotton Bowl, the Orange Bowl, etc. All of the aforementioned stadiums are designed similar to the structure of the Roman Coliseum, and thus are like massive bowls. The distinction no longer holds the same connotation. Initially, teams were invited to play in these bowls based on regular season performances, and all you would really win was a meaningless trophy, bragging rights, national exposure for the school and an all-expenses paid vacation to somewhere else. National Champions were determined by voting (say 10-3, does that mean College Football used to not be a sport? ;) )

I actually didn't mind the NFL veterans reading the Declaration of Independence, surrounded by American servicemen and servicewomen, among others. I can see where someone might think it a bit much or possibly patronizing but I fail to see any measure of insult in it whatsoever.

Avatar was a terrible movie with a terrible script, terrible dialogue and laughably poor acting that many were fooled into thinking was a 'great' film because it looked very pretty. I f*cking hated that movie.

The effects were absolutely unreal, and it deserved much of the praise it got solely based on that.

Ah, so it derives from the shape of a stadium back many years ago. I guess that makes sense. For some reason, I was expecting the trophy to be bowl-shaped, and surprised when it wasn't.

I also hate the BBC.

Many years ago, the Super Bowl result would have barely have got a mention, buried deep somewhere almost unnavigable on their website. Now, because they've got the rights to it, the fact that some blonde bimbo doesn't know the words to her own national anthem appears not only on their homepage, but also TWICE on the sport homepage. Singing isnt even sport.

This is not really a Super Bowl-specific rant. They do the same with all manner of events. See: Formula One getting live text commentary on pre-season testing now they have the rights, compared to when ITV had it, you could barely find the results, and the importance given to the two darts world championships , the treatment of the US Masters in comparison to the two other US-based golf majors etc

I actually didn't mind the NFL veterans reading the Declaration of Independence, surrounded by American servicemen and servicewomen, among others. I can see where someone might think it a bit much or possibly patronizing but I fail to see any measure of insult in it whatsoever.

Let me preface this by saying A) this is really hard to type/quote on my phone and B) I have nothing but the utmost respect for both our servicemen and our founding fathers but I found the reading of the Declaration of Independence to be beyond tacky and a little demeaning to the veterans. I hate how much they hype up the Super Bowl and then to use veterans as a means of advertisement? That's not okay in my book. I think their intentions may have been pure and I know the sport has military roots but the way it came across to me was insulting.

I've not seen Avatar. I can't work out whether I should watch it just to say "I've watched it" and so that I can place myself in the "its overrated garbage" category, or just save myself the bother. I know I'll hate it. I detest anything where special effects are used to mask a lack of substance.

Let me preface this by saying A) this is really hard to type/quote on my phone and B) I have nothing but the utmost respect for both our servicemen and our founding fathers but I found the reading of the Declaration of Independence to be beyond tacky and a little demeaning to the veterans. I hate how much they hype up the Super Bowl and then to use veterans as a means of advertisement? That's not okay in my book. I think their intentions may have been pure and I know the sport has military roots but the way it came across to me was insulting.

I see it as less about advertising and more about an opportunity to send a message to the largest television audience in the nation. Mind you, by the way, that the armed services are the ones who pay for the ad space and are generally the ones suggesting things like this. If it wasn't paid advertising then it was just an opportunity taken for a large-scale national tribute. Yeah, it was a little tacky but then, so is the flyover if you think about it. That said, I don't think anyone is going to be knocking the jets flyover any time soon :p

The effects were absolutely unreal, and it deserved much of the praise it got solely based on that.

It deserved every bit of praise for the effects, it deserved none of the praise it got for actually being a good film. Though I fear we've had this argument before :D

It deserved every bit of praise for the effects, it deserved none of the praise it got for actually being a good film. Though I fear we've had this argument before :D

We did. I still agree that it was a bad film, I'm just better able to put terrible story and choppy acting aside for flashing lights and pretty colors :)

I do it with TV programs too. So, most of these shows that come over from America and are advertised to death, I've never seen.

Same, and sometimes I get annoyed when I really enjoy an American TV show like Castle (my favourite tv show ever) or The Mentalist and then they come over here and get advertised non-stop. Grrr.

(say 10-3, does that mean College Football used to not be a sport? ;) )

Nope. Game outcomes were determined on a field of play. Without a playoff, D-1 college football's national championship will always be mythical anyway.

Now, in Division II, where I live, you've got a playoff system and a real champion.

Yeah, it was a little tacky but then, so is the flyover if you think about it. That said, I don't think anyone is going to be knocking the jets flyover any time soon :p

What's really tacky is a jet flyover when the field is a domed stadium with the roof closed. What's the point?

Completely agree. I once saw a picture of the plot line of "Pocohontas" with parts crossed out and the characters of "Avatar" substituted. The movies are nearly identical.

Completely agree. I once saw a picture of the plot line of "Pocohontas" with parts crossed out and the characters of "Avatar" substituted. The movies are nearly identical.

Mark Kermode, a film critic on BBC radio, has since Avatar's release referred to it as "Smurfahontas", which I think sums it up pretty well. Big blue Smurfs put into the Pocahontas storyline.

I thought Fern Gully but I suppose it's the same basic plot. My biggest problem with Avatar, though a decent movie, is that it turned James Cameron into an absolute weirdo.

I see it as less about advertising and more about an opportunity to send a message to the largest television audience in the nation. Mind you, by the way, that the armed services are the ones who pay for the ad space and are generally the ones suggesting things like this. If it wasn't paid advertising then it was just an opportunity taken for a large-scale national tribute. Yeah, it was a little tacky but then, so is the flyover if you think about it. That said, I don't think anyone is going to be knocking the jets flyover any time soon :p

Ah, see I thought the NFL sponsored these events for veterans. I suppose it is more tolerable if it is what they want.

It is basically just Pochahontas...

I liked Dara O'Briains summing up of it "It picks up where Titanic left off, in that everyone is blue"

I still haven't seen it, but when I do eventually watch it I'll be in the mindset of "let's see" rather than "HIGHEST GROSSING FILM OF ALL TIME, GEE-ZUZ."

The only recent films that have deserved all the praise they get recently have been Inception and Toy Story 3....

The only recent films that have deserved all the praise they get recently have been Inception and Toy Story 3....

Add Up to that list and I'm with you.

I went to see Avatar just because my parents wanted to go and offered to pay the tickets. It was pretty but absolutely hollow, more or less as I expected it to be. Now, if Cameron ever stops milking that damn cash cow with special editions that add six minutes of absolutely superfluous footage to an already overbloated movie and starts seriously working on Battle Angel, I may forgive him.

I thought Avatar was great, really enjoyable. I've been looking forward to watching it again on Sky but haven't got around to it yet.

Best film I've seen recently though is 'Harry Brown'. OAP Michael Caine takes offence to a bunch of street corner chavs and hooligans and starts blowing them away. Fully recommended viewing.

I was warned not to watch Avatar by my wife, she went with some friends from uni and said it was terrible, the fact she didn't like it is really saying something because she liked the Perfect Getaway.....hopefully most of you missed that gem.

Most of my cinema jaunts are limited to cartoons these days, which isn't all that bad if it's Megamind or Despicable Me, but it's pretty hard going if it's Tangled. In my limited spare time i'm working my way through the IMDB top 100 and suddenly realising how many amazing films I, like Brian and Gav, shunned because of their hype. Kinda wishing I hadn't watched Requiem for a Dream though......

I usually only get to watch Kids movies at the flicks.

I thought Avatar was good overall, everyone knew what it was going to be, so I don't why people complain and say it was *****, 3D was awesome (effects wise of course), Blue Ray was decent

Megamind was good, Despicable me was good as well, but if I didn't have kids I doubt I would have seen the last two.

On Dvd I've seen a few more, Hurt Locker and Law abiding citizen are two of the better ones from memory.

I try to go to the cinema at least once a week, being the ridiculous geeky film fan that I am. Things I've seen recently include:

Barney's Version: Good, two impressive central performances but a lot of stuff that wasn't needed, could have been very good with a proper edit.

Black Swan: I've been a fan of Aronofsky in the past, but good God, this was sh*t. Portman's performance was excellent, but the film around her was by the numbers, telegraphed psychological horror in which I was spoon-fed the plot.

The King's Speech: Brilliant in pretty much every single way.

Monsters: Really good. An excellent example of a slow burning, tension building movie. And when you consider the budget it was made on, even more impressive.

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale: Icelandic weirdness.

The Way Back: Good, not great. Certainly better than Peter Weir's last directorial effort, the utterly awful Master & Commander.

Somewhere: A chance to catch up on all that sleep that I missed.

But the best film that I saw last year was an animation called The Illusionist. Absolute brilliance by Sylvain Chomet. I heartily recommend it.

I'm going to see The Fighter tomorrow. My expectations are not high.

Looking forward to going and watching True Grit when it comes out this weekend. I'm going to form my own Oscars voting comittee and compare it with The King's Speech which is the only other film I've seen recently. It has to go a long, long way to beat it.

BTW Best observation I've seen about The King's Speech that it's possibly the only film ever to use the outbreak of World War II as a feelgood ending.

Just had an interview for a Junior Administrator job. Went okay, slightly peeved though that she asked if I had trousers and shirt to wear, EVEN THOUGH I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM. Did some tests and found out that I'm in the top 10% in the world for knowledge of Microsoft Word and then a data entry test that said I could manage 10,000 keystrokes an hour. Impressive for me, I think. I thank FMS for that. :D

Just had an interview for a Junior Administrator job. Went okay, slightly peeved though that she asked if I had trousers and shirt to wear, EVEN THOUGH I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM. Did some tests and found out that I'm in the top 10% in the world for knowledge of Microsoft Word and then a data entry test that said I could manage 10,000 keystrokes an hour. Impressive for me, I think. I thank FMS for that. :D

Proves that spending all those hours writing imaginary stories about a computer game can get you somewhere. :p

Well done Gav. Best of luck. :)

Shoot me down, go on Dalbe. Thought we were friends.

Hey, don't worry. It's actually pretty unlikely that any of those 700 million people applied to that job, right? ;).

Seriously, good luck. I know how tough getting a decent work is as of late, to the point that I'm not even trying right now. I'd rather spend the next six months studying and adding relevant stuff to my CV, then try again after the summer. 20+% unemployment rates are... kind of bad.

Been trawling the football news/rumours on NewsNow and have gleaned the following info, useful for all you budding (and experienced) journalists out there. It is apparantly now THE LAW that any article which links a player with Liverpool must end with the following statement (word for word, mind, we don't take kindly to aliteration here):

"With plenty of room to improve and develop, [insert name of player here] would fit with the ethos of Liverpool owners New England Sports Ventures (NESV) in their quest to bring the cream of young European talent to Merseyside."

See that in at least 4 articles about 4 different players.

Come to Aus, I think our unemployment rates are around 3-5% at the moment.

You really have to be a dipshit if you can't get a job here.

I'm out at the new store now, don't have to deal with customers now for 6 weeks, the trade off being that we have to fit 10 weeks of work into that 6 weeks, so it's going to be 7 days a week and long hours for a while.

Especially if the dumbarses in distrubution and Planograms can't get what they are supposed to be doing right.

I don't how these guys f*ck really basic stuff up sometimes, but it happens!

Hey, don't worry. It's actually pretty unlikely that any of those 700 million people applied to that job, right? ;).

Seriously, good luck. I know how tough getting a decent work is as of late, to the point that I'm not even trying right now. I'd rather spend the next six months studying and adding relevant stuff to my CV, then try again after the summer. 20+% unemployment rates are... kind of bad.

Good save. :D

Yeah it is really difficult right now, but just got to keep plugging away. Sadly babysitting Terk on weeknights is not a paid role so I need something to side by side with that.

Be right back, off to live with Pan.

Archived