These forums

Originally posted by Jonfun1980:

I know we are not allowed to text talk on here, so are the following allowed?

10 million, 2 million etc.

CM, GK, STR.

Thats what I do at the moment.

Just checking its ok.

There all FM terminologies, so I can't see any problem with that myself, it isn't exactly slang or txt speak in a bad sense.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apologize I have not read all 15 pages of this thread, so if this has been mentioned please disregard...

What about the ability for forum members to vote any thread/post as good or bad. You could have the front page of the forum be the highest rated threads and then new threads start on page 2.

Also you could have a button that automatically reports any post that is deemed unacceptable by users. If enough votes came in on that post the author could be given an automatic ban, or is automatically reported to moderators.

This is a general post about some things that might make these forums better.

1. There are a lot of posts about bugs, data issues etc. on the general discussion thread. No need to say they don't belong in that thread. I have thought about it and the reason most probably is that:

-They come to these forums via the FM2008 site

http://fm08.footballmanager.net/en/article/101/1585.html

And the forum link doesn't show the links to direct bugs forum or data forum. There is only links to PC/MAC General discussion, Graphics & Skinning Hideout, Tactics & training tips etc. My point is that users who come in through here(are lazy) scan these headlines and decide the place to go to is General Discussion and it is filled with post so they don't bother reading them(lazy) and just post their bugs, data issues etc there(people are lazy by habit).

I think this can be easily avoided with adding direct headlines to Bugs Forum and Data Issues Forum under the Forums headline at FM2008 website.

2. Abusive posts. Unfortunately I can't see no other way of reducing abusive posts and bullying etc. other than giving a warning about the first occurance and then banning for a considerable amount of time(6 months to one year) if it is repeated. More moderators surely help to monitor this and all users should be encouraged to report abusive posts etc. to moderators. Make a strict statement of intent and stick to it.

Maybe a stickie with instructions about how to report(as many might not now) and announcement about the new guidelines. Again I stress that people are lazy so the less text to read, the better, example:

1. In these forums we tolerate NO ABUSIVE OR BULLYING language or writing!

2. If mods find posts that contain ABUSE or BULLYING the poster will be WARNED on the first offence, BANNED FOR 6 MONTHS OR MORE on the second offence!

This is keeping it simple so every user will read it and understand it. There is no point in giving one week banns etc. because they are not scary enough. If banned for 6 months or more it will greatly reduce the numbers of "bad posters" and increase the number of good posts. In the beginning there might be a huge(scary) number of long time banns but it is necessary in my opinion to dig out these users who don't have anything smart to say. If people keep abusing, you keep banning. In time they will get the idea so long as you stay strict on your policy. The people who post good posts will start enjoying these forums more and we will get new users with better posts replacing the "bad posters" who are banned.

The only way to kick out a bad habit is to be tough about it.

Sorry for the long post but I hope these ideas could possibly help in making these forums better and nicer for the users. They may sound very strict and army-like, but I think it is the only way to handle certain kind of people.

Sometimes even when you put things in BOLD and have people postmodded one post above people still ignore warnings..there is a thread in the bugs forum where 7 people have already been postmodded for ignoring my warnings..and people somehow still blatantly go on posting here.

So no matter how blatant or bold these warnings are, people still keep on doing them...some people never learn.

Originally posted by rashidi1:

Sometimes even when you put things in BOLD and have people postmodded one post above people still ignore warnings..there is a thread in the bugs forum where 7 people have already been postmodded for ignoring my warnings..and people somehow still blatantly go on posting here.

So no matter how blatant or bold these warnings are, people still keep on doing them...some people never learn.

I see your point totally. Again the only reason I can come up with is that the posters are too lazy to even read any other line than their own. This is kind of silly because what's the point in participating in forum discussions if one does not read other posts than their own or those that are replied to one of their own posts? Try to hang in there and just keep slamming the bans and try not to get too frustrated with this. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I don't know what the exact rules are.

Some abbreviations are allowed and others not.

I honestly don't know what is allowed though.

Terminologies such as imo (in my opinion) & tbh (to be honest) are fine.

"Hi thr, how R u? Th@s ossum" is not.

The one in the graphics forum always makes me laugh, you'd think people would get the subtle hint that specific requests are not allowed.

Deary me. It really makes you despair, doesn't it.

In all honesty, reading through that forum - and to bring this thread back on-topic - is the current Bugs forum format really the best way to get feedback from the SI userbase? The quality of the reporting is dreadful and people seem completely averse to uploading files and information.

Maybe a series of bug reporting templates would help make life easier for the testers and impose a small degree of uniformity and sense to the forum. Because at the moment it reads like an endless series of Green Ink Letters.

Originally posted by Ackter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I don't know what the exact rules are.

Some abbreviations are allowed and others not.

I honestly don't know what is allowed though.

Terminologies such as imo (in my opinion) & tbh (to be honest) are fine.

"Hi thr, how R u? Th@s ossum" is not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I don't find text speak any more confusing than some of the internet abbreviations. I often find myself having to look up what these mean.

It's often quoted that the reason for banning text speak is that some people's first language isn't English. Are they really going to have any more luck understanding KUTGW or IIRC (especially if they are written in lower case as though they are a word themselves).

Originally posted by wwfcfan:

Personally I don't find text speak any more confusing than some of the internet abbreviations. I often find myself having to look up what these mean.

It's often quoted that the reason for banning text speak is that some people's first language isn't English. Are they really going to have any more luck understanding KUTGW or IIRC (especially if they are written in lower case as though they are a word themselves).

Might as well ban people from using long words if that's really the case icon_wink.gif

It's often quoted that the reason for banning text speak is that some people's first language isn't English.

Well, it's quoted directly from the forum rules...

Are they really going to have any more luck understanding KUTGW or IIRC (especially if they are written in lower case as though they are a word themselves).

The reasons are two-fold:

1) Internet shorthand like KUTGW, IIRC, LOL, IRL etc. are generally uniform across all English Speaking internet forums. Ditto Smileys.

Txt spk varies from person to person and is basically a phonetic shorthand.

2) Internet shorthand is used to complement well written text. Txt Spk replaces it.

For example - to paraphrase Ackter:

"Hi thr, how R u? Th@s ossum" is meaningless to me on first sight. How does somebody who isn't fully comprehensive of English understand it?

"Hi there mate, how are you? IMO that's awesome" is vastly more legible.

"Please note that we do not have a limit on the amount of characters you can type on these forums. Thus posting in abbreviated "text" speak is not permitted.

Widely used internet abbreviations such as "LOL", "ROTFL", "IMO" and "IIRC" are not subject to this rule.

Repeated breach of this rule will come under the "Warning procedure" house rule."

Not sure that I see the reference to English not being people's first language, but nevermind. icon_wink.gif

To be honest I'm not a fan of either, but that's just personal choice. I'm sure some people go round making up new internet shorthand... or maybe i'm just geting oldicon_frown.gif

"Please note that we do not have a limit on the amount of characters you can type on these forums. Thus posting in abbreviated "text" speak is not permitted.

Widely used internet abbreviations such as "LOL", "ROTFL", "IMO" and "IIRC" are not subject to this rule.

Repeated breach of this rule will come under the "Warning procedure" house rule."

Not sure that I see the reference to English not being people's first language, but nevermind. icon_wink.gif

Oh bother. That'll teach me not to check before posting icon_eek.gif

You are correct - it has been quoted a lot.

To be honest I'm not a fan of either, but that's just personal choice. I'm sure some people go round making up new internet shorthand... or maybe i'm just geting oldicon_frown.gif

YMRAT* icon_wink.gif

I think it's a case that you would end up with page after page of forum posts in txt spk; not only would they be practically incomprehensible, but it would be really, really hard on the eyes. So this is something the Mods and the forum is right to crack down on hard and early.

*You May Be Right About That - Let's see if we can't get that into the net lexicon....

Textspeak icon_mad.gif

If I read something like this:

im manager of cambridge im in 12th after 15 games i have no money 2 spend and have loaned 2 players in

can any1 tell me how i can push for the play offs like good players to buy or loan and what tactis shall i use thanks

I really have nfi what he's on about. Don't card users like this one, don't warn him, but immediately ban his arse.

About stickies and headers:

Look at the headers and stickies in LLM, there are dozens of newbies who don't look at them and just post their thread there (quote above is from LLM). Force new users to read every header, rule, guideline, sticky, whatever before they can make a post. Please, do that. Please...

It'll save the moderators a whole bunch of locks, think Al Gore would be pleased with that.

Not sure why i'm bothering as i suspect miles et al have long given up with this thread, but why not limit people to starting one new thread per day (or any suitable time limit...) this would stop the idiotic people who start one thread, see it closed, start another, see that closed, add infinitum...

Should be straight forward enough to implement and saves mods closing dow repeat threads made by cretins.

Originally posted by Ched:

Not sure why i'm bothering as i suspect miles et al have long given up with this thread, but why not limit people to starting one new thread per day (or any suitable time limit...) this would stop the idiotic people who start one thread, see it closed, start another, see that closed, add infinitum...

Should be straight forward enough to implement and saves mods closing dow repeat threads made by cretins.

But this is then punishing the people who start good threads for the mistakes made by idiots.

As for people using text speak on the forums I despise it. Not only is it horrible to look at and read but it is just pure lazyness and makes a mockery of the written word.

The day we start tolerating text speak on these forums is the day I'll stop using them.

Originally posted by Emmenaar:

Textspeak icon_mad.gif

If I read something like this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">im manager of cambridge im in 12th after 15 games i have no money 2 spend and have loaned 2 players in

can any1 tell me how i can push for the play offs like good players to buy or loan and what tactis shall i use thanks

I really have nfi what he's on about. Don't card users like this one, don't warn him, but immediately ban his arse.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, so he used short form for about 2 words, and you're telling me you can't understand what he's saying?

Wow, I feel sorry for you.

Lighten up, it's not the end of the world.

Originally posted by Riza:

Okay, so he used short form for about 2 words, and you're telling me you can't understand what he's saying?

Wow, I feel sorry for you.

Lighten up, it's not the end of the world.

Punctuation? Capitals?

I know, you get what he's saying and I get it too (after reading it a few times)..

I'm not English, just like thousands others on this board. You probably are, so you are familiar with the short txt speak style the English kids use. I really don't get it, sorry for that.

I'll try and get a course in txt speak English to satisfy you.

Yes, a hypocrite because you are asking to ban people who use txt speak, yet you yourself use it. It's like saying I hate drinking Pepsi while I am drinking it.

Punctuations and capitals are the least of the problem as they don't interfere with the word itself.

Ex. hello how are you

compared to;

halo haw r u?

Without punctuations/capitals, you understand the first line just fine, yes? The second one, no and it has nothing to do with the punctuations or capitals. Bingo.

And no I am not English, English is my second language.

It's funny because you seem to be quite good with short abbreviations, I mean heck, I've never used "nfi" yet you are familiar with it and English is not your first language as you say. Coincidence, or just plain ignorance?

It's funny how quick things turn around without thinking them through doesn't it?

Sorry mate, not trying to attack you here but making a point of how some members are trying to be oh-so-good-and-thoughtful yet they are the ones who are contributing to the problem.

Please note that we do not have a limit on the amount of characters you can type on these forums. Thus posting in abbreviated "text" speak is not permitted.

Repeated breach of this rule will come under the "Warning procedure" house rule

Link

From the House Rules. As you can see, abbreviations don't count as text speak under this forum's rules.

For what it's worth, I personally find, "any1", "2day" and "u" infinitely more irritating than "tbh", "iirc" and "imo".

Originally posted by chopper99:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:

But this is then punishing the people who start good threads for the mistakes made by idiots.

As for people using text speak on the forums I despise it. Not only is it horrible to look at and read but it is just pure lazyness and makes a mockery of the written word.

The day we start tolerating text speak on these forums is the day I'll stop using them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frankly i don;t think stopping people making more thanone thread a day would be THAT much of a hindrence to good people. I mean really how many times have you HAD to make more than one new thread that couldn't have waited until the next day, i think the benfit to mods would greatly outweigh the cost to us.

On an unrelated note, i've seen yet another case of inconsistent modding. There were several threads aimed at comparing FM08 to the latest Fifa manager, with the started of these threads suggesting a pro fifa stance.

A mod closed the first of these threads down claiming that this board was for FM discussions.

The creator of this thread claimed that as he was comparing FM to another game he was discussing FM, the same mod then closed this thread claiming that these forums were for discussing ONLY Fm.

Today i cast my eyes down the page and see a thread asking if laptops can be used on planes, whilst the user states this is to be able to play FM in the air it is probably less relevant to FM than the comparison thread.

Similarly i see a thread slating fifa manager and telling people to not moan about FM, surprisingly this hasn't been closed, despite doing what the first thread was but from a pro SI stance.

Now as far as i'm concerned fifa manager is toss, but the inconsistency shown by the mods, with particular regard to pro SI threads has got to be considered an issue on these forums, a thread comparing FM to fifa manager is doing no more harm than a thread stating that fifa manager is rubbish and that we shouldn't complain about FM, so either close both or leave them both open.

I'd like to see some consistency in the way that breaches of the rules are handled.

At the moment it is anything but consistent, and when this is mentioned the response from Mods is usually that there hands are tied because it relates to instructions received from SI.

In addition, I would like to see some action taken over posts that break the following rule/rules.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, racist, homophobic, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

Something else that seems peculiar is that if you try to discuss omething with a Mod in the forums, (that relates to any sort of moderator action that has been taken), you are referred to the email address listed in the rules forum. This seems quite reasonable.

Unfortunately when you then try to contact them in this way, the message is bounced back saying that it cannot be delivered.

I'd like to see some consistency in the way that breaches of the rules are handled.

At the moment it is anything but consistent, and when this is mentioned the response from Mods is usually that there hands are tied because it relates to instructions received from SI.

In addition, I would like to see some action taken over posts that break the following rule/rules.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, racist, homophobic, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha! you can talk! being guilty of at least 3 of these that i know of imo! good job you put a disclaimer at the start, aint it?!.....

Something else that seems peculiar is that if you try to discuss omething with a Mod in the forums, (that relates to any sort of moderator action that has been taken), you are referred to the email address listed in the rules forum. This seems quite reasonable.

Unfortunately when you then try to contact them in this way, the message is bounced back saying that it cannot be delivered.

If you read the error it returns you'll see that its just one moderators email address that bounces. All the rest of the mods get the email.

And you can cut out the snide remarks and abuse of Sega and SI Staff (or anyone for that matter).

Oh thanks Kris, I didn't realise that icon14.gif.

As for any snide remarks and abuse of anybody, I expect you to either take action on whatever your unfounded allegations are, or apologuse.

Like I said earlier......

quote:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, racist, homophobic, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

Maybe I should also add harassing to the list as it appears that there appears to be a certain hidden agenda within the way these forums are moderated recently.

I have purposefully not quoted to any specific instances in regard to the above, so that we don't have to drag up old issues and go over old ground. The next time anyone from SI/Sega or a moderator, takes this route, I will be less restrained.

Now take issue with any specific comment that I have made, and continue to do so with regards to all similar comments, or I will think that mabe I should add harassing to the above list.

I think there is a saying something along the lines of "put up or shut up".

You make me laugh.

You can add whatever you want to your list, suffice to say that just because you add it to your list doesn't mean its added to the forum rules.

I'll take issue at your recent manner of posting to SEGA employees and tell you to shut up (in so much as I don't expect to see the snide remarks about Matt (in particular) again).

Positng a lot of "good" posts on the forum does not mean that you can be exempted from posting like a petulant child.

Kris. I wasn't suggesting that anything be added to the forum rules. I was suggesting that as they are already part of the forum rules, then perhaps you, and indeed other moderators, might like to implement them occasionaly rather than abusing them yourself.

Your last post is another example of the poor standards of this forum recently and I challenge you once again to take issue with any single post that I have made, and deal with it accordingly, or desist from posting comments that break a number of your own forum rules.

I'm sure that this acts as an excellent advertisement of how you should not behave on the forums.

While I don't expect any sort of exemption from the forum rules because of whatever posting history I may or may not have, it appears that you believe that your moderator position allows you just that.

I have done everything within the forum rules and emailed the Mods as set out if the rules forum. Surprise surprsise that I have not received a response via email and instead find a snotty message posted on these boards. Isn't that exactly what you encourage users not to do.

It appears that there is one rule for one and another for others.

How sad, but once again typical, of the overall issues currently being experienced in this forum.

Jimo, you're a decent guy, good poster, clearly intelligent - but the second you think you've been wronged you go on a kind of crusade where you post basically the same thing over again in many different threads and your attitude and posting style completely changes.

You become incredibly petty, rude and disrespectful - you're better than that and you know it.

Jimbo : I emailed you last night.

I've asked you to stop posting snide remarks to any SEGA or SI employees (and i do view calling Matt either a liar or intellectually challanged as being snide) so that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

If you'd like to discuss it then you can either email me directly or at the mods@ address. Otherwise I expect to see you making your points in an intelligent manner (as Ackter points out, it's obvious you have the abillity) without having to resort to petty sniping.

Perhaps you could send the email again then Kris as it never arrived. Strange that.

Perhaps also you could try and respond to the points that I have made in this thread rather than hark back to whatever takes your fancy.

I've refused to continue with a certain discussion that you seem intent on bringing up because I promised another Mod I would not continue it for the benefit of the forum. If you don't think that someone is either stupid or a liar for disagreeing with evidence that I have posted to the contrary, (and also confirmation that I have received from a member of the testing team), then perhaps you could offer an alternative explanation.

And Ackter, yes there has been a distinct change in the style of my posts. The style has changed from positive to negative and this is far more to do with some of the outrageous posts that have been made by people who should know better, than the poor overall standard of the game.

I make absolutely no apologies for that whatsoever.

Jimbo :

He wasn't disagreeing with you other than you said the game was unplayable (which it isn't, it may be flawed in some areas and it certainly has some issues but it's still playable). For you to call him a liar or intellectually challenged is still a form of abuse, no matter how subtle you make it.

The term "unplayable" would indicate that the vast majority of users cannot play the game at its most basic function level which if we consider is

Pick players, tactics, training , transfer market and play a game or number of games.

The vast majority can do this, unfortunately there are certain sequences that can arise that dont allow one or more of these key points. It does not make the game commercially "unplayable".

So if you did a "technically correct" analysis then Matt is correct, having worked as a software developer for 15 years now I know its not always the technically correct answer that is the real world answer.

However I'll "hark back" to whatever I deem fit thanks as this is a thread on the forum infrastructure, if you would like to condense your thoughts in this thread into a post without the litttle quips we have had so far then I'd be happy to respond to them.

If you don't want to then fair enough, I've stated that I don't want to see any subtle snide remarks made about anyone, whether it be SI, SEGA or any other forum users and I'd like to think that we see an end to it.

You can rationally argue your point without the need of petty insults.

Jimbo, do me a favour, you're clearly a better person than this. Stop taking this up here. If you have issues with anyone in particular then send them an email. Please. If you have issues with the way the moderators handle the forums, then by all means there are avenues for you to take this up.

Going on a personal crusade in public like this is not going to be positive for anyone nor for the forums in general, I do sincerely hope this is the last time this happens here. And please like I've said before take it up on email.

Jimbo : As I've already stated, you can contact myself at my profile email, or the mods on the mods@ email or Marc Duffy on the email in the house rules forum if youw sih to have a discussion "off fourm".

Although as I have a 2 year old who is currently ill and a wife who thinks I spend too much time here I might take a few hours to respond icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Kris:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

If you read the error it returns you'll see that its just one moderators email address that bounces. All the rest of the mods get the email.

And you can cut out the snide remarks and abuse of Sega and SI Staff (or anyone for that matter). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've read through most of this thread and it seems to me that, quite frankly, the kind of post above just demonstrates how incredibly buttoned up the back this whole thing has become.

Actually what Miles describes as "pithy, pointless comments" I sometimes find quite funny.

Seems to me that common decency is one thing but when you stop people posting the odd "pointless" but funny remark the whole forum becomes the preserve of tactic geeks and "experts".

I enjoy reading the odd rant....I think the so-called "destructive criticisms" are sometimes far more entertaining to read than the very long and boring "constructive criticisms".

I actually come on these forums - though rarely post - because I often find it a jolly good rattling read.

I'm all for rules but really there is a danger in losing the sense of fun, the joyful revelling in a good rant and the hilarious irony in some posts.

Most of us are grown-ups who face these kinds of issues in our own work every day. I'm a newspaper editor and if I got half as sensitive at some of the so-called "bullying" on this forum I would be in floods of tears every day.

Someone saying your game is "unplayable" is hardly a stinging criticism.

Has freedom of speech gone the same way on this forum as it has in the country as a whole?

Why are we so afraid of passionate conversation.

I'd rather tolerate the odd personal criticism to protect the right of someone to their opinion than I would have a dull, boring, joyless forum where everyone is "polite" and we end up with a 1984 style homogeneous, vaccuum packed, sterile, boring, overly moderated, sense of humour bypassed forum.

Does this count as "pithy and pointless"??

I really can't believe this whole thread....it's a football game guys not the war against terrorism. No-one's life is at risk here.

If someone is rude how about laugh it off or ignore it rather than set loose the thought police...

Common sense from an editor, what's the world coming to icon_biggrin.gif

I agree so much, I like pithy comments both given and received.

I like arguing my end, I get my share of put downs, why shouldn't I reply in kind.

Some of the silliest people on here are the source of the best entertainment.

Moderate that which needs moderation, otherwise let it flow.

I'm with you Ed icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Kriss:

Common sense from an editor, what's the world coming to icon_biggrin.gif

I agree so much, I like pithy comments both given and received.

I like arguing my end, I get my share of put downs, why shouldn't I reply in kind.

Some of the silliest people on here are the source of the best entertainment.

Moderate that which needs moderation, otherwise let it flow.

I'm with you Ed icon_biggrin.gif

I admit it's a rare gift in my profession icon_smile.gif

I just wonder whether some of the people on here get out enough!!

Talk to a few police officers, nurses, council staff, shop workers, school teachers and the like.....if the worst they got was to be called a liar they'd be lucky.

They don't go around banning opinions because it's too upsetting.

Football is passion. It is opinion. It is ranting pointlessly. It is cutting humour. And, yes, ocassionally it is rude, unpleasant and nasty.....but that's football.

And with the above comes money...for SI and for football.

Lose the passion, lose the revenue, lose the profits.

If you want polite, intellectual, "nice", constructive comments then invent a rugby union game and see what happens to your revenue!!

Originally posted by JayJayJayJay:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Miles Jacobson

how do and who do, i message if i have got complaints about something that has happened in these forums? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/27619697/m/4302087491

Originally posted by r0x0r:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Herter:

One start is to have more moderators and have more strict rules. Perhaps there should be more temporary short bans (1-4 weeks).

Perhaps even day bans?

For "bad" behavior rather than "banning" behavior, an exponential system works well. 1 day first time, then 2, then 4, then 8...

Perhaps after a period of weeks equal to the last ban amount (1 week to clear a 1 day ban, 2 weeks to get rid of a 2 day, etc.) their "counter" could be reset?

Or am i over complicating? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this 100%

About Time This Happened

I have been a member here for a while now, and sometimes I stop coming back to the forums due to the amount of bully that occurs. Even when I want to share my opinions I hold back due to the negativity of some users within the forum…

I am here at all times of the day, and even on the forums during the early hours of the morning up to even 3am, and there don’t seem to me much Moderators on during that time…

My Suggestions:

1) Maybe SI can appoint more moderators from different regions of the world to ensure that there are moderators browsing the forums during all hours.. I am not sure where most of the moderators are from…

2) More short term bans for people and those that continuously break forum rules there bans get longer until a permanent ban occurs…

3) I think everyone should be made to read through the forum rules before they are being allowed to post. (Not sure how this will get implemented)

4) All regular members should try and be more understanding and tolerant towards new members hard as it may seem. And members should politely and constructively inform users of their mistakes.

5) All members regardless of how long they have been with the forum should post and reply to threads is constructive and civilised manner or else they should just avoid it…

Regards

Originally posted by Abs_UK:

About Time This Happened

I have been a member here for a while now, and sometimes I stop coming back to the forums due to the amount of bully that occurs. Even when I want to share my opinions I hold back due to the negativity of some users within the forum…

I am here at all times of the day, and even on the forums during the early hours of the morning up to even 3am, and there don’t seem to me much Moderators on during that time…

My Suggestions:

1) Maybe SI can appoint more moderators from different regions of the world to ensure that there are moderators browsing the forums during all hours.. I am not sure where most of the moderators are from…

2) More short term bans for people and those that continuously break forum rules there bans get longer until a permanent ban occurs…

3) I think everyone should be made to read through the forum rules before they are being allowed to post. (Not sure how this will get implemented)

4) All regular members should try and be more understanding and tolerant towards new members hard as it may seem. And members should politely and constructively inform users of their mistakes.

5) All members regardless of how long they have been with the forum should post and reply to threads is constructive and civilised manner or else they should just avoid it…

Regards

Abs_UK....although there I realise I am in danger of straying into "pithy and pointless" here what is exactly do you think constitutes "bullying"??

And what do you do in the real world when you come up against "negativity" ??

I hope no-one interprets these questions as "bullying"...I'm just genuinely non-plussed by some of this terminology and what people mean.

Perhaps I have missed some really horrible and sinister exchanges on these forums but am really taken aback by how sensitive everyone seems to be.

Perhaps I'm just grisled, thick-skinned and too long in the tooth...

Archived