Back Room Staff: What They are Good at and How to Use Them.

SFraser,

Thanks a lot for all your posts. I've set up my team accordingly and indeed, I've been offered great advice, my youth and reserve team are doing well. My players seem to be motivated more than ever and I'm actually seeing a rise in ability of many hot prospects.

b-pterson, I would advise you to make filters for every staff role. Here's a start:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0w11rv4u7drunt1

• 2 weeks later...
That link is pretty neat.

Great read as well.

That should be the other way around in my opinion. Knowledge is more important than tools to usae your knowledge by far. I'm a fan of SFrasers posts. He gives a man something to do when he's not actually playing FM. :D

• 1 month later...

Not direct answer but worth thing to know. They loose attributes if you use them for wrong categories. For example Valter Di Salvo has coaching style: Fitness. Unless you use him for that his fitness attribute will decline. In his example you can use him for all categories due to great mental stats and will probably have specialized coaches.

So it's always good to have coaches assigned to the category corresponding with their style. Ofc if you have lots of coaches.

Not direct answer but worth thing to know. They loose attributes if you use them for wrong categories. For example Valter Di Salvo has coaching style: Fitness. Unless you use him for that his fitness attribute will decline. In his example you can use him for all categories due to great mental stats and will probably have specialized coaches.

So it's always good to have coaches assigned to the category corresponding with their style. Ofc if you have lots of coaches.

I've had two 5* fitness coaches slip to 41/2*, both were world class and both times it was the fitness attribute dropping from 20 to 19, but both of them coached nothing but fitness. These drops were offset by gains in other categories so I gathered it was a redistribution of CA that happened to some coaches as they got older/more experienced, leading them towards becoming an all round coach with a view to progressing in their career>1st Team Coach>Assman>?

One of them, Paul Winsper, regained his 5* 20 fitness a few months later and the other, Tony Colbert, was well on his way to becoming an all round super coach by the end of the save.

I don't know what caused these actions, but I recall being a little suspicious about Winsper's low adaptability. (he didn't get anywhere near being an all round coach)

When I make a coach a manager of the youth or reserve team, would it result in man management, motivation increasing or just all corresponding stats for the postion in general ?

How do you keep track of the stats of your staff. Do you write them all down or do you write down just the main ones such as Determination, Level of Discipline , Motivation and corresponding training category stat etc ?

When I make a coach a manager of the youth or reserve team, would it result in man management, motivation increasing or just all corresponding stats for the postion in general ?

How do you keep track of the stats of your staff. Do you write them all down or do you write down just the main ones such as Determination, Level of Discipline , Motivation and corresponding training category stat etc ?

I don't know what activities cause changes to coaches attributes, but to check on progress you could take screenshots of the Attributes and Personal pages of your new coaches when they arrive.

This progress reminded me of something. For the first time I assigned Julio Tous, great motivator, U-19 management. 2 weeks into the start of season Assistant manager bar appeared, before that he wouldn't receive offer for Ass.man. So this might be the way to groom potential Ass.man. to that role, without him being interested in that at the start. Cos Di Salvo won't come to any club and manager not having reputation near his.

Guest nik1313

when a team wins trophies tha ca of the staff increases more. if your u-20 manager win the u-20 league he will improve a lot at his attributes

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to work out the formulas to create these "Non-Contracted" Staff Members, similar to the Star Ratings for specific coaches (GK+DDM = Goalkeeping Coach) the SFraser concepts are good for when you manage a Rich/Famous clubs but if you are a Poorer/Low Level club it is harder to find recruit these staff members, so by looking them up via the specific attributes (similar to player roles and duties).

Hopefully SI Games introduce a feature Staff Positions with Roles and Duties for FM12 as this will make recruiting/searching for staff easier than in the past.

• 5 months later...

For those who are still using this, I know I am, I did some testing and found out some things that condradict Stevens assumptions regarding scouting.

Only determination makes a difference for the speed at wich scouts create knowledge. Adaptability and Level of discipline have no use whatsoever. The mental coaching or man managemnt attributes do not give a better insight in players personalities. Determination, JA, JP and Tactical knowledge seem to be the only attributes of interest when looking for a good scout. Thought it might interest anyone who's interested enough to read Stevens post.

For those who are still using this, I know I am, I did some testing and found out some things that condradict Stevens assumptions regarding scouting.

Only determination makes a difference for the speed at wich scouts create knowledge. Adaptability and Level of discipline have no use whatsoever. The mental coaching or man managemnt attributes do not give a better insight in players personalities. Determination, JA, JP and Tactical knowledge seem to be the only attributes of interest when looking for a good scout. Thought it might interest anyone who's interested enough to read Stevens post.

Very Interesting Indeed - How did you come to these conclusions Steve?

Steve why Tactical knowledge is important for a scout?

It has no role for a scout at all and is only for coaches.

[TABLE=width: 600]

[TR]

[TD=width: 151][/TD]

[TD=width: 317]The tactical knowledge possessed by a coach. Their experiences in the game, where they’ve been and who they’ve worked with will affect the level of knowledge they have, and when using this knowledge they may have ideas lesser coaches haven’t become familiar with, which is an advantage.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

And adaptability does play a role, SI have confirmed this numerous times and even wrote it in the online manual.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 151][/TD]

[TD=width: 317]A high Adaptability attribute will enable the staff member to settle quickly predominantly in a new country but also will help a little in settling in at new clubs and new roles. The faster (i.e. higher rating) a member of staff can adapt to their new working environment, the quicker and better they can do their job.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Have you checked High versus low determination too? that seems to be the major factor in my save. I did only test it for a season, but the differnece was huge. After a month, the scout with a determination of 16, adaptability of 7, scouted entire China (full knowledge) and made 17 reports on players. The scout with 14 adaptability (only one i could find that instance) but with low determination (5) didn't scout to full knowledge and only compiled 7 player reports. I've tested it again and the difference reamined the same. Determination seems to be more important to me. Anyway,

Maybe there are other factors as well, but I couldn't find any. So, in my saves, I'm dropping adaptebility for determination when looking for scouts.

I did both and the results where the same.

According to the manual though;

The knowledge bar doesn’t necessarily equate to automatically identifying the best talent in those countries – the scout’s attributes and overall ability will play a massive part in that

Maybe even though we did same test my scout had better ability?

Ofcourse, I just went for attributes. I think the knowledge bar is about using the "player search". The more the bar is full, the more players you get to see in the player search. It has nothing to do with the best talents, as this would be about JA/JP. It's still not clear to me. I'll just have to trust you then. :D

Steve why Tactical knowledge is important for a scout?
It has no role for a scout at all and is only for coaches.

Cleon, why do you think Tactical knowledge has no role for scout's and is only for coaches? Is this an opinion of your's or an actual fact from SI?

I only ask because when I browse the top scout's in my game they all have a high rating's for JPA, JPP and Tactical knowledge. It seems like a common thing among the top scouts in my game and when I think about it, it kind of makes sense. Meaning the higher the Tactical knowledge rating is the better the scout will find you players that fit your system, but i'm no expert.

Cleon, why do you think Tactical knowledge has no role for scout's and is only for coaches? Is this an opinion of your's or an actual fact from SI?

I only ask because when I browse the top scout's in my game they all have a high rating's for JPA, JPP and Tactical knowledge. It seems like a common thing among the top scouts in my game and when I think about it, it kind of makes sense. Meaning the higher the Tactical knowledge rating is the better the scout will find you players that fit your system, but i'm no expert.

Because most of these top scouts you talk about are ex players and played with great players. Hence the high Tactical Knowledge. I posted why above read the quote. Think about it, it's all in the name 'tactical knowledge' why would a scout, scouting for players need to know about tactics? Makes no sense at all.

I'm sorry but please explain to me how 'tactical knowledge' finds you better players? I'm confused as to why you think that would find you better players.

Because most of these top scouts you talk about are ex players and played with great players. Hence the high Tactical Knowledge. I posted why above read the quote. Think about it, it's all in the name 'tactical knowledge' why would a scout, scouting for players need to know about tactics? Makes no sense at all.

I'm sorry but please explain to me how 'tactical knowledge' finds you better players? I'm confused as to why you think that would find you better players.

I have always been wondering if it make any difference when the scout is set to scout the next oponent

other then that, it does indeed seam to be irellevant

No, he would offer beter tactical afdvice in dealing with the next opponent. Ofcourse, he would'nt fin better players. I didn't say that at all.

No, he would offer beter tactical afdvice in dealing with the next opponent. Ofcourse, he would'nt fin better players. I didn't say that at all.

It wasn't in reply to you, read the quote I quoted when I wrote that :)

I've always thought that good tactical knowledge is important for a scout assigned to scouting the next opposition. Isn't it?

I've always thought that good tactical knowledge is important for a scout assigned to scouting the next opposition. Isn't it?

Yes.

But we was on about for scouting players, for scouting for players it has no relevance whatsoever.

Because my assumption was that, if my scout had a high tactical knowledge rating and im using a tactic that doesn't use winger's, then maybe he won't recommend winger's for me. Like I said, it was just an assumption that is obviously wrong and i'm thankful for the community here it's help on the topic.

So,

get a scout with 20 JPA, 20 JPP, 100% Recruitment rating and you got yourself a quality scout, right?

Archived