Sometimes the AI must win

Yep.. Milan completely dominated the first leg and won 4-1. They were also favourites to win the whole tournament at this point.. By half time in the 2nd leg, Deportivo were 3-0 up, before winning 4-0. Two of these goals were scored from outside of the area!

I wouldn't be asking questions about the AI, but about the defence in your tactic. You conceeded 2 goals in the first leg and 4 goals in the second leg (2 own goals). Looking at the stats, if you forget about long range shots, they had more than you, as well as more possession, and better pass and cross completion. Looks they deserved the win to me!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sick of offering help, and I bet everyone else on this thread is as well. It will probably turn out to be that your players don't want to play for such an immature loser who wants everything to go his way, and throws his toys out of the pram when he fails. And this 'autogoals' rubbish that you keep mentioning just weakens your argument even further

Really... Is that constructive argument at all? Is that even necessary?

Champions League Quarter Final 2004.. Deportivo v AC Milan. Milan had a huge advantage going into the second leg, and as the bigger team were expected to go through comfortbably. Look it up, youtube it, and see what happened!

How about the League Champions where Bayern losing 2-0 and ten minutes they scored three goals?

How about Where Portugal was loosing 2-0 against Holland that tied the match in ten minutes?

We all know that this happens, there are very memorial moments of teams changing the result by pure inspiration or rookie mistake. The thing how do we remember these comebacks, because they a rarity in the real world and that is why they are memorial.

What I have seen by users and own experience is that this happens in 3 out of 5 games. That is unrealistic how much you want to prove it. It should happen in 1 out of 10 and that is being quite friendly, because the real value should be 1 in 50.

No need for conspiracy theories - Paul C is on record as confirming that the game doesn't "cheat".

No offence but that's a seriously flawed argument to make.

What person is going to admit that a game his studio makes cheat's the end user - if he did it would probably be career suicide and the end of the road for the FM series.

And given the fact that no one outside of SI will ever get to see the code base, and those on the inside are probably all signed up to an NDA, we will never get a concrete, unbiased view one way of the other.

-Mic

I almost had the AI steal a win from me -- I was playing as Man United against Real in the semis of the CL and won at OT 2-0. Went to the Bernabeau and immediately got Ramos red carded and made the following penalty to go up 3-0 with the away goal. I then watched as Real unleashed hell on me as they scored 3 unanswered goals...a man down and having to take CR9 off with an injury. 3-3 final score and I won on the lone away goal. I was constantly altering my tactics and getting really upset -- again a man up and I am forced to park the bus and play bunker ball? Crazy. I enjoy the game, but the AI seems a bit odd of late and I am getting a bit tired of it.

Before I start, I'd like to point out that I'm usually the first to be fair to SI. I don't think the game intentionally "cheats". I instead have a suspicion that the coding in the game which handles morale and chances of having an "off-game" is flawed and occasionally forces your team to horrendously underperform because it thinks that's what an "off-day" is. And I mean horrendously underperform. Anyway, my point is:

I have to admit that a lot of the time I can tell whether I'm going to lose or not. Some games you start up, and watching your team for just 10 minutes or so you can see massive problems in their performance. Even against low level opposition, playing exactly the same formation which has destroyed other teams recently, sometimes the game decides you're due a bad game. Players will consistently lose the ability to play even to Conference level (I'm talking top level Premiership teams here) and it becomes obvious the game wants you to lose. I know sometimes your team just doesn't play well or the tactics are wrong, but when you start seeing defenders holding the ball while under no pressure at all, before playing a completely mis-aimed pass to a defender less than 10 metres away from them at the very moment when a striker runs in to man-mark the defender, despite there literally being a safe alternate pass in any direction, and on top of it all then both defenders refuse to chase the ball back, you know the game has chosen for you to lose. This, of course, happens in real life, but it shouldn't happen **several times in every single key highlight**. When you get to the point where you can't count on both hands and feet the elementary mistakes that even I - a totally inept unsporty person who only ever played football with casually with friends - wouldn't make at home against weaker opposition, and when every single tactical reshuffle makes no difference at all, you have to start asking questions.

You played into their hands. Keep the ball, don't go forward as much, waste time. All of these can be beaten by a team pressing hard and getting stuck in. They won more % of tackles and ran further. This says to me, they would have been on overload.

Drop deeper, exploit the flanks, get ball forward would have been my picks

You suggest dropping deeper to counter an attacking team and get the ball forward, which is just another term for hoof the ball upfield? Shocking! So in order to protect a lead we invite more pressure and then when we do win the ball we hoof it straight back to the opposition so that they can attack again, great advice!

People are complaining when they win now? good lord

Teams do tend to change tactic to a much more attacking formation. Near the end, did you bother changing your tactic?

No why would I? If I'm dominating the entire match?

I also I don't need to adjust to a game, because the game dictates so. If that so the game is more broken then I first thought!

I have my own tactics, I like to play to attack and win. I want the team to attack. Sometimes is not the case of course. but If i'm winning 3-0 and I want my team to score more goals. That is the point of football match, score the most goals as possible without suffering none.

No why would I? If I'm dominating the entire match?

I also I don't need to adjust to a game, because the game dictates so. If that so the game is more broken then I first thought!

I have my own tactics, I like to play to attack and win. I want the team to attack. Sometimes is not the case of course. but If i'm winning 3-0 and I want my team to score more goals. That is the point of football match, score the most goals as possible without suffering none.

and thats where the problem lies. The AI will change it tactics with about 10 minutes to go, if they are losing, and start playing alot more attacking football.

If you are also playing attacking football, then theres only one way thats going to go...

I'm sick of offering help, and I bet everyone else on this thread is as well. It will probably turn out to be that your players don't want to play for such an immature loser who wants everything to go his way, and throws his toys out of the pram when he fails. And this 'autogoals' rubbish that you keep mentioning just weakens your argument even further

With this post you proved your a child and a looser. Congrats. 2 in 1.

Before I start, I'd like to point out that I'm usually the first to be fair to SI. I don't think the game intentionally "cheats". I instead have a suspicion that the coding in the game which handles morale and chances of having an "off-game" is flawed and occasionally forces your team to horrendously underperform because it thinks that's what an "off-day" is. And I mean horrendously underperform.

Now this kind of arguement I can almost agree with. Morale should of course play some part, but I think too much emphasis has put on it in the last few games.

To the person who said companies wont admit to their games cheating, I point you to most racing games. They're pretty well known to have rubber-banding, where you can never be too far behind or infront. If I could be bothered I'd dig out the post about it, but I'm getting lazy in my old age. :)

Luckily you won't get it.

Imagine people taking CoD:MW2 back to the shops because they suck at it. Typical childish response.

To the OP, you may have had 18 shots, but if you look again 12 of those were long shots.

ive won everything on almost every fm

this one is just buggy and useless

at least i have some control of my character on mw

Before I start, I'd like to point out that I'm usually the first to be fair to SI. I don't think the game intentionally "cheats". I instead have a suspicion that the coding in the game which handles morale and chances of having an "off-game" is flawed and occasionally forces your team to horrendously underperform because it thinks that's what an "off-day" is. And I mean horrendously underperform. Anyway, my point is:

I have to admit that a lot of the time I can tell whether I'm going to lose or not. Some games you start up, and watching your team for just 10 minutes or so you can see massive problems in their performance. Even against low level opposition, playing exactly the same formation which has destroyed other teams recently, sometimes the game decides you're due a bad game. Players will consistently lose the ability to play even to Conference level (I'm talking top level Premiership teams here) and it becomes obvious the game wants you to lose. I know sometimes your team just doesn't play well or the tactics are wrong, but when you start seeing defenders holding the ball while under no pressure at all, before playing a completely mis-aimed pass to a defender less than 10 metres away from them at the very moment when a striker runs in to man-mark the defender, despite there literally being a safe alternate pass in any direction, and on top of it all then both defenders refuse to chase the ball back, you know the game has chosen for you to lose. This, of course, happens in real life, but it shouldn't happen **several times in every single key highlight**. When you get to the point where you can't count on both hands and feet the elementary mistakes that even I - a totally inept unsporty person who only ever played football with casually with friends - wouldn't make at home against weaker opposition, and when every single tactical reshuffle makes no difference at all, you have to start asking questions.

Thats another issue, but since this match from the op is translated in to tactic mistakes by many people, i would bet that same people would translate this issue in to tactic mistakes.

You should watch Portugal matches.. (20+ shots and 0 goals ftw... we reached the play-offs by miracle...)

Well.. so far I dont think the game has been cheating on me.. (lol)

Im just slightly worried at some results that look too random and incredibly exagerated...

Like this

Couldnt believe it after the match was over..

Seriously... sometimes small teams crush big clubs by 5-0 or 7-0 :eek: (more often than IRL Alcorcons and whatever)

"I think predictions before matches play important role in this kind of silly games, also club stature. I mean how the hell can you predict penalties after 3 goal difference in the first match?"

i got exactly that with celtic playing fc twente. was comfortably 2-0 up in the first leg and match prediction told me it thinks it "will go into penalties" funny enough, i was all over twente, my team kept missing all sorts of chances and sitters and they had about 2 shots on goal and scored both of them. finished 2-0 to them and went into extra time where they scored a penalty then aiden mcgeady scored in the last 5 mins so i went through on away goals but i think that is because the game merely recaculated the match going into extra time. i imagine the game has to calculate the result based on your tactics going into the game but it would be nice if the predictions were not almost fortune teller like lol

Thats another issue, but since this match from the op is translated in to tactic mistakes by many people, i would bet that same people would translate this issue in to tactic mistakes.

I suspect they would. For that reason I made a comment pointing out that I've tried so so many times to change tactics to solve this, and it never works. I didn't stress it as much as I wanted though, admittedly. If the game wants you to play badly the best thing you can do is put men behind the ball and attempt to prevent the other team from scoring, because going on the attack is like a disaster waiting to happen.

I can understand what the OP feels since I sometimes encounter results like this. In FM08 I was playing as Udinese against Barcelona at Nou Camp and I managed to beat them 3-0 in CL semi final. At the second leg I conceded 3 goals in the first 30 minutes then the match ended 1-4. I was so frustrated and reckoned exactly what the topic says and did not played the game for one year until FM09.

Really... Is that constructive argument at all? Is that even necessary?

If you had taken the time to read my earlier posts, you will see that I have been constructive in my advice, as have many other members here, instead of just paying attention to the one time I have lost my patience with this guy.

With this post you proved your a child and a looser. Congrats. 2 in 1.

I'm not the one a) moaning when my team fails to convert their chances and gets booted out of the cup, b) complaining that the computer is cheating or there must be something wrong, and c) making up silly phrases like autogoal to justify my team's failure

I'm not the one a) moaning when my team fails to convert their chances and gets booted out of the cup, b) complaining that the computer is cheating or there must be something wrong, and c) making up silly phrases like autogoal to justify my team's failure

Look. I said in my first post that his was just an example. This is not the only mach of this sort.

And im not moaning about this particular one. It was just one of..

And some know it all people translate every single issue in to tactic. And that is ilogical. Specialy if you watch games.

One guy earlier said, what im trying to say, that there are games when you feal you ll have to loose. And those games hapen to often. Thats the issue here.

Translating every thing in to tactic settings is as much stupid as moaning about every issue.

Regarding "silly phrases", not all people on these forums are native english speakers, so you ll have to bear with us and amuse your self with our mistakes and funny words.. whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

Oh, and insulting people over the internet...and making excuses about it. Well, there are

many words for this behaviour. Not one of them does you favour.

You could have easely ignored this thread, instead you decided you will proclame me as a looser, which makes you what?

I'm really struggling to get a game in which i don't feels bs'd outta it myself, but I love the game and refuse to accept it's cheating, the only thing i can think with this example, is 11 long shots is quite a few for a team trying to hold a 1st leg lead, maybe they weren't controlling the game so well, and bordeux were doing all they could to create solid chances.

but nah, you were robbed in that 1 lol unlucky.

I didn't want to ignore the thread, I tried to help. But if you continue to ignore other people' advice on matters on here, you will never get the benefit of the service, and others will soon realise that you are not prepared to listen to their advice

oh right, so managers in real matches change minute details of team play every 5 seconds do they? they adjust EVERY game to a perfect counter tactic?

I have no desire to get bogged down in a directionless debate about whether the AI cheats or not (it doesn't) but the answer to your second question is yes they do.

If more players realised this then we may well have fewer threads like this. IRL managers really do prepare their tactics for each game and really do study the opposition and devise a strategy to counter them. No two games are the same, threrefore no two tactics are the same.

This is what football management is all about. FM is a simulation of football management so it's entirely reasonable that you as the player should be expected to do these things (if you expect to be successful).

I did listen and all advices are prove, that everyone can explain statistic in their own way.

One of guys said im interpreting the data as i see fit, but i actualy watched the game, so i know i did prety much everything right.

And im sure that you can not explain every game with tactic settings, but most people do just that and than you have 100 advices, all sound reasonable. I d bet i would at least draw this particular game if i had restarted it, i wish i did now. Cos through the tactic point of view, the restarted game should end prety much with similar resolt, if i left everything as it was in this game.

Like i said, the point of this thread was not in this particular game. I tryed to show an example of the tipe of game, that lots of people are complaining about.

No offence but that's a seriously flawed argument to make.

What person is going to admit that a game his studio makes cheat's the end user - if he did it would probably be career suicide and the end of the road for the FM series.

And given the fact that no one outside of SI will ever get to see the code base, and those on the inside are probably all signed up to an NDA, we will never get a concrete, unbiased view one way of the other.

-Mic

Why would they possibly want to "cheat the end user"?

Exactly. It makes no sense. To purposely program a game to screw the user will just infuriate the user, and make them less likely to play/buy the game. In turn making the game a flop. No one's going to do that. Never mind an entire programming team.

Fulham_Mic I think it's your arguement is the one thats seriously flawed. No evidence or motive in that one to be fair.

I did listen and all advices are prove, that everyone can explain statistic in their own way.

One of guys said im interpreting the data as i see fit, but i actualy watched the game, so i know i did prety much everything right.

Descriptive statistic can indeed be interpretted in many different ways. If you want something more solid from stats then if you collect enough Im sure I, or someone else with the relevant tools and experience, can give you a proper statistical analysis of the data. Something more conclusive, and a lot less malleable in regards to interpretation, would come from that. You've provided the stats for one match which is not only not conclusive of anything on it's own but is always going to be open to interpretation.

Regardless, if you're so sure that you've interpreted it properly, and that the actual match is the most important and decisive piece of evidence (rather than the stats you originally provided) then upload the match .pkm. If it's that clear that you did so much right then you'll probably be able to convert a few doubters. And if there's an actual bug then something can be done about it.

Also if you have a save file from before the match then that could be useful. If you're destined to lose that match as you suggest with the 'auto-goals' then everyone else who plays it should lose as well.

I tryed to show an example of the tipe of game, that lots of people are complaining about.

There are a lot of people complaining. But there are a lot of people who aren't, arguably more.

Personally I don't think the AI cheats. There aren't anything like 'auto-goals'. I've not experienced any evidence for it and I've not seen anyone offer any solid evidence for it.

a real life example of terrible bad luck, Rangers v Unirea. Almost every goal if I remember correctly took some form of deflection and ended up in the back of the net. That and they played crap.

Looking at your stats if your shots hadent been mostly long shots you could have put that game to bed

I have no desire to get bogged down in a directionless debate about whether the AI cheats or not (it doesn't) but the answer to your second question is yes they do.

If more players realised this then we may well have fewer threads like this. IRL managers really do prepare their tactics for each game and really do study the opposition and devise a strategy to counter them. No two games are the same, threrefore no two tactics are the same.

This is what football management is all about. FM is a simulation of football management so it's entirely reasonable that you as the player should be expected to do these things (if you expect to be successful).

Well we all know that. But the thing is this is Computer game so it should be fun, nonetheless it is a Football Simulation and it should be near realism, which is part of the fun. However there are thing of realism that I do not want in game, which is corruption and buy referees or the players fighting one another that makes the football ugly. if that is incorporated by any chance it is the time I walk away. I had it enough In real life I don't need in the game.

Also there is things you can't incorporate in game, no matter how much realism you want. This is game and many people that are neither FM tactical experts or are simple people that want to pick up the game and play a few matches to relax. One of the most two examples are 3D (which as it is now, looks like a 1990's game) and Press Conference. This last how it can this feature be fun? It is boring and even if they put a million different question, will continue to be boring feature.

I want a fun and simplistic game instead of too much realism.

so just because you're not winning anything and everything, the game is flawed?

Which excuse is it? Or either the excuse is the players are loosing or the players are winning?

In regards to you other reply. Like I said if that is the problem then the game is a major Bug. The game should not dictate the tactics I want to use. if so then doesn't make any sense in having tactics wizards. if that is the case then SI just set one tactic that works and everyone is happy.

No need for conspiracy theories - Paul C is on record as confirming that the game doesn't "cheat".

Why don't people get this? :confused:

Can you imagine for a second if it were discovered that FM cheats? Seriously?

Football Manager is far and away the biggest Football Management simulation on the market. If the game were to be found to cheat, Sports Interactive would crumble. Simple as that. SI have absolutely NOTHING to gain from making a game that cheats, and everything to lose. And we're not talking about a few quid lost here; we're talking about the collapse of a highly-respected brand.

Now I'm not saying that FM is perfect, far from it in fact, because some of the faults and bugs in the game are nothing short of bloody shocking (like the guy who won the CL on penalties only to have the result awarded to the other side). But this sort of thing is a bug, and let's be honest; it really should be fixed. But the game doesn't cheat, it can't cheat.

Let me reiterate my point: If it turned out that FM cheats, SI would be damaged beyond repair. You think they would take that chance? Don't be daft.

Well, sometimes "cheating" is done for a "better" AI. i.e. AIs knowing where you are without "seeing" you in a shooter so you can never quite "sneak up on it". Or AIs getting unlimited funds in RTS like starcraft etc. Not the way I would code a game AI, but sometimes that's just how they do it to make it easier on themselves.

So while it's not really cheating cheating like magically altering the score, it still feels sorta hackish and frustrating to the end-user when suddenly the stars align for you to get flagged to be "unlucky" (or "complacent" or whatever) because you won 10 games in a roll and the game balance routine kicks in to give your team an off-day (like mentioned a few posts up and it might happen to AI teams too) - someone should test this with a super team in a league full of crap teams :p

Maybe the problem here isn't whether it cheats or not, but that the random events are too powerful and are too hidden from our view so it feels like it's unfair?

Or that the AI "scanning" certain variables (like sales value or the correct counter tactic) feels unrealistic and can be done such that it can only see what the user sees and work its evaluation from there?

Looking at the match stats suggests this:

1: You were playing pretty openly. Your shot count and tackle count suggests that rather than trying to kill the tie off, you were opening up and trying to play attractive football.

2: The shot count comparison is actually 7-6 in their favour with regards to close range efforts, of which they scored two and you scored one. Nothing amiss here.

3: They flayed you down the flanks, which suggests you were pushing your FBs too far forward or leaving them unprotected. Given that their cross percentage is over twice the usual amount, plus the own goals, it suggests you made no attempt to defend the flanks and thus stretched your back line.

4: Suggestions that they were getting caught offside a lot, which indicates you were playing too high for an away game. Although you obviously managed to to catch them a number of times, on how many other occasions did they spring the line and put your defence under pressure?

I'd be really interested in seeing the Player Stats page, especially for Bordeaux, to see if that helps pinpoint reasons.

Why don't people get this? :confused:

Can you imagine for a second if it were discovered that FM cheats? Seriously?

Football Manager is far and away the biggest Football Management simulation on the market. If the game were to be found to cheat, Sports Interactive would crumble. Simple as that. SI have absolutely NOTHING to gain from making a game that cheats, and everything to lose. And we're not talking about a few quid lost here; we're talking about the collapse of a highly-respected brand.

Now I'm not saying that FM is perfect, far from it in fact, because some of the faults and bugs in the game are nothing short of bloody shocking (like the guy who won the CL on penalties only to have the result awarded to the other side). But this sort of thing is a bug, and let's be honest; it really should be fixed. But the game doesn't cheat, it can't cheat.

Let me reiterate my point: If it turned out that FM cheats, SI would be damaged beyond repair. You think they would take that chance? Don't be daft.

Wait a minute. I'm not accusing that SI make the game to cheat on purpose.

What I ask was proof that the game didn't cheat. That means that with all these bugs that have been repeated in previous versions being returning, makes me wonder how much did the SI tested this game. I mean If SI couldn't reproduce the crash dumps that happen to what 20%? 30% of the users are suffering now. Makes me wonder, how do they know that the game doesn't cheat, hum?

I only ask for SI give me a proof that the games doesn't cheat. If it doesn't I have no problem in admitting I was wrong. But as I stand now. I don't exactly believe much SI word, I'm afraid. I want to, but I can't.

Every game has bugs though. And for all those people who say they would be happy if they game was released later and tested more you can guarantee that they would be asking "whens it out" etc

Bugs are part of every game, we just have to deal with them.

And if you think the game cheats then how would it no when to not cheat? im sure you will have won games and trophies in your time playing

i said throughout the match, not pre game

i'm not 5, i understand football so i understand this game isn't a particularly realistic representation of what i see

so just because you're not winning anything and everything, the game is flawed?

ive won matches i just think the games flawed within the match engine (poor representation of whats occuring) and im tired of the ai exploiting a supertactic every 5 seconds

u have to invest hours into the game and get nothing back

The AI ONLY uses the creator settings to build its tactics, using a far more limited decision range than humans have. It has no access to any tactic that a human user can't replicate through creator settings alone.

Hello Rich. I am a brick wall. Would you like to come headbutt me for a while?

Oh, you're doing it already? Sorry, I apologise. Do continue....

Hello Rich. I am a brick wall. Would you like to come headbutt me for a while?

Oh, you're doing it already? Sorry, I apologise. Do continue....

While I can appreciate human frailty, especially when it comes to dealing with seemingly random patterns, I do find it difficult to accept people grasping towards wild conspiracy theories when the statistical data of the match provides compelling evidence as to why the OP lost.

However, whenever I post a breakdown of the reasons, it is ignored in preference of accusations of cheating AI, super-tactics and broken MEs. If people think the game does/is like that, they can't learn as they don't believe they are doing anything wrong in the first place. They might as well stop buying the game if that is the perspective they are going to take.

It would be interesting to see how many times this kind of turnaround has happened for the human manager against the AI. I think often we see these flaws (and flaws they probably are) happening against us, while forgetting, or not even noticing when these things go for us.

In my current Liverpool save we are top of the league, top scorers with the best defence.

We qualified top of our CL group with a game to spare, top scorers with the best defence.

We just put Arsenal out of the FA Cup 3rd round

The League cup is not really worth mentioning, but fwiw we lost against West Ham who were the better team on the day.

I'm just sitting around waiting for the game to cheat me out of my good run.

For the last time, everybody; as often as it happens that YOU think that the game has cheated you, it happens that YOU cheat the game, i.e. you have fewer shots, smaller percentage of completed passes, less possession, etc., yet you win. It goes both ways.

Archived