Sometimes the AI must win

I genuinely don't understand people's thoughts about this.

I'm not the world's greatest FM player. I've never managed any time in the Prem because I'm not good enough. Yet, I also understand that SOMETIMES, the world is just against you.

http://www.fulhamweb.com/news/Match-Report-Newcastle-1-Fulham-4.aspx

I hate to keep bringing this up, but this DOES HAPPEN!

"..a team can attack for too long".

After seeing Northampton lose to Norwich City despite dominating. This is from one of the all-time great managers.

I've lost games like that. AI has countered my formation and won 5-0, I've also been battered, yet come away with a 1-0 win.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides, "bad luck" and "it's your tactic". My best bet is "it's mental part" of your player have problem. Remember you're playing Football Manager 2010, not FIFA2010 or PES 2010. You, as a manager of football team, have to deal with the mential issue. I find out in FM10, the game disclose more information regarding to mental states of players. Open the motivation windows in 3D view, you will find out how player's mental states changes in a single game.

They might get over-confidient or complacent most of time. Especially you won 2:0 last week. With better player, you say someting very postivate regarding to the 2'nd lag and encourge players to play a "open football" in this game. That explains why you have 18 shot and 11 of them on traget. A goal keeper must be fired up after he made 4-5 saves in one game. I had been there a few times, sometimes replace some over-confident players and show my angry at half-time team talk help me to comback. Sometimes it does not help at all, I have to live with it.

Now when I am in winning track or stay unbeaten, I always say "complacent might be a issue in my team" in pre-game press meeting. So most of my players can stay away from "over-confident" or "complacent" at the beginning of the game. This might not work on some young players, so I bench them 1-2 game.

Besides, "bad luck" and "it's your tactic". My best bet is "it's mental part" of your player have problem. Remember you're playing Football Manager 2010, not FIFA2010 or PES 2010. You, as a manager of football team, have to deal with the mential issue. I find out in FM10, the game disclose more information regarding to mental states of players. Open the motivation windows in 3D view, you will find out how player's mental states changes in a single game.

They might get over-confidient or complacent most of time. Especially you won 2:0 last week. With better player, you say someting very postivate regarding to the 2'nd lag and encourge players to play a "open football" in this game. That explains why you have 18 shot and 11 of them on traget. A goal keeper must be fired up after he made 4-5 saves in one game. I had been there a few times, sometimes replace some over-confident players and show my angry at half-time team talk help me to comback. Sometimes it does not help at all, I have to live with it.

Now when I am in winning track or stay unbeaten, I always say "complacent might be a issue in my team" in pre-game press meeting. So most of my players can stay away from "over-confident" or "complacent" at the beginning of the game. This might not work on some young players, so I bench them 1-2 game.

And more often than not, you can tell you'll have a bad game about 10 mins into these games when your players spray wild passes to nobody (and doesnt listen to your slider settings) or suddenly do lots of fouls or "he's taking no chances" when under no pressure whatsoever. Sure, you can tweak things around to scrap off a result, but it's just unrealistic and frustrating when your entire world class team suddenly turn into total ******* just because they're "complacent" or you chose the wrong team talk and bruised their paper thin ego.

Yes, you can take steps to avoid it, but its unrealistic when it happens that they perform *that* badly, and needs to be tuned down imo.

And more often than not, you can tell you'll have a bad game about 10 mins into these games when your players spray wild passes to nobody (and doesnt listen to your slider settings) or suddenly do lots of fouls or "he's taking no chances" when under no pressure whatsoever. Sure, you can tweak things around to scrap off a result, but it's just unrealistic and frustrating when your entire world class team suddenly turn into total ******* just because they're "complacent" or you chose the wrong team talk and bruised their paper thin ego.

Yes, you can take steps to avoid it, but its unrealistic when it happens that they perform *that* badly, and needs to be tuned down imo.

Exactly! I do not mind losing a close game but to lose a game at home by 5 goals and one that you are favourites in is just not realistic at all.

I've lost games like that. AI has countered my formation and won 5-0, I've also been battered, yet come away with a 1-0 win.

This is my biggest cheat so far. :)

As with any such debate, it's perhaps unfortunate that people have already decided that their observations and claims are fact - even if those observations might hint at something wrong with the ME every once in a while, there's little done to back whatever points up. This appears to be a trend with these forums, for some people it's still not down to themselves even if is then proven it is. On the topic at hand, one could do a long-term study how many of the games that you statistically could have gotten away with a result went in the AI team's favour - and then compare it to the occasions where the opposite was the case, see my game above.

However, it'd still be just that, a statistics. It's not taking into account the decision making of the player in any kind of way given particular match and game situations. Claiming "it's not my tactics, period" is just as off as somebody claiming it would be. However, a "gut feeling" is just that, and the makers have all the right in the world to shrug it off as such whenever such a perpetual myth turns fact within the space of a single post.

The game is just too random , you can win a game 4-0 reload and lose it 0-2 with same players and instructions , everything else (tactics & motivation ) just tries to push this randomness a bit on your favour .

This is how SI thinks it can bring "super tactics" down , good or bad i don't know.

So many complaints about how you lose and etc. Would SI and FM be more popular if they let you win say 98 or 100% of the time?

Let say you can win every game unless you deploy stupid stpid tactics, would that be fun?

I think we all know the answer. It's a game with a challenge. Sports woul not be fun if your team is the world beater.

The game cannot conspire it just happened to be by chance that the OP's team lost by that exact score. How about replay that match 10 times, with that exact same tactics and players; I am sure the scores will hardl repeat this same result.

Lets make this nice and simple.

The game doesn't cheat. Paul C has already detailed why he doesn't think that'd make much sense. There's no proof that it does and no need to prove that it doesn't. In all the iterations of FM I've been involved in I'm yet to see anything that remotely looks like it.

This discussion is shocking - I don't understand the need for namecalling and personal attacks. That's absolutely unacceptable - if you wish to make a point, make it civilly and constructively - or choose another outlet where these rules are not a requirement, please.

Cheers

Matt

Archived