Official Patch 10.1 Discussion

AI managers allowing their squads to grow too old has been reported as being an issue in the past. I don't know about FM2010.

As far as English players, that might have something to do with home-grown rules. The EPL is adopting home-grown player quotas next season, so it's not just teams playing in European tournaments who have to worry about paying too much for English players anymore. :D

Yep, this was a known issue in 09, but I believe SI have said that the squad management issue has been addressed. And I do think it's much better - BUT still not great. I just wonder if SI have done soak tests on this, and if, for some reason, their results have been different.

Fair point on the English players, but again I would imagine that teams like Man Utd and Chelsea will still be buying and playing only English internationals in the foreseeable future. And in fairness the players they have are of pretty good quality - I just think that the older players are still being preferred too much for international selection over the young ones, which leads to good young players not having any, or having too few, caps. For the record,this is the case with other nations as well.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, this was a known issue in 09, but I believe SI have said that the squad management issue has been addressed. And I do think it's much better - BUT still not great. I just wonder if SI have done soak tests on this, and if, for some reason, their results have been different.

Fair point on the English players, but again I would imagine that teams like Man Utd and Chelsea will still be buying and playing only English internationals in the foreseeable future. And in fairness the players they have are of pretty good quality - I just think that the older players are still being preferred too much for international selection over the young ones, which leads to good young players not having any, or having too few, caps. For the record,this is the case with other nations as well.

Regarding FM2009, I think SI took a major step forward in ensuring a good long term gameplay. In my network game we saw AI managers making sensible transfers, replacing a right back for a right back, a striker for a striker and also they invested in younger players. I hope to see this step taken further in FM2010 (I have not progressed with a game because I stopped playing waiting for patch 10.2 because of other reasons).

Older players being preferred over younger players though is not an FM issue but a good reflection of real life football. In the competitions where the pressure to get results is the highest (spain, italy, germany, england) we see that squads of top teams are more mature and the first eleven mainly consists of players above 25 years of age.

In Holland and France however I have seen quite a few younger squads in fm2009 and I bet that will be the same in FM2010. So making AI manager buy younger players and make sensible tranfers was the only step SI needed to make to enable long term gameplay. The AI manager attributes (I think there is an Attribute about using younger players) will decide whether or not younger players are actually being used in the first eleven.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing that when asking the board to source for feeder clubs, they only found local British clubs? (I'm using Man Utd)

Tried 3 times and 3 times, they came with British clubs shortlist.=(

Regarding FM2009, I think SI took a major step forward in ensuring a good long term gameplay. In my network game we saw AI managers making sensible transfers, replacing a right back for a right back, a striker for a striker and also they invested in younger players. I hope to see this step taking further in FM2010 (I have not progressed with a game because I stopped playing waiting for patch 10.2 because of other reasons).

Older players being preferred over younger players though is not an FM issue but a good reflection of real life football. In the competitions where the pressure to get results is the highest (spain, italy, germany, england) we see that that squads of top teams are more mature and the first eleven mainly consists of players above 25 years of age.

In Holland and France however I have seen quite a few younger squads in fm2009 and I bet that will be the same in FM2010. So making AI manager buy younger players and make sensible tranfers was the only step SI needed to make to enable long term gameplay. The AI manager attributes (I think there is an Attribute about using younger players) will decide whether or not younger players are actually being used in the first eleven.

What you say about top teams gravitating towards older players is mostly true - although there are some exceptions, like Arsenal (who in the game still fail to maintain the youthfulness of the squad that they start out with). But I think that the balance needs to be adjusted a bit towards giving younger players a chance. Take England in real life - they've capped younger players like Walcott, when arguably there were pretty good older players available for the same position. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any English players in the top 4 clubs in the Prem who have not been capped - but in FM10, an English centreback has consistently started for Chelsea for over 5 years who, as far as I remember, has never played for the senior England squad.

I've noticed that SI did a bit of adjusting for the first patch to tone down the propensity of AI to play young players in less important competitions - and overdid it (I think they've said that they're going to balance this for the next patch). Perhaps this is the same reason why younger players don't get many chances with their national squads.

But again, I think my main issue is that the AI still lets its squads age too much. Any feedback on this, SI?

Okay not seen this in here yet, help please!

Due to a pay-as-you-go but also cut out very often internet connection, I took a blank disk to my mums house and added the 70.9mb file to a CD. Bring it home, double click on it and instead of automatically updated as it would have in the past for me, it is just acting as an application to open up FM2010? Checked in preferences and can't see how to change or anything. Got it off one of the links in the official patch thread...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Very impressed with FM10 so far!

Four things that are mildly annoying so far are-

1. Seem to hit post from long range around 3-4 times per game, surely too high

2. When attacking corners, players instructed to stay back tend to hover over the half way line and the opposition can very quickly counter

3. Goalkeepers are possibly a little too good

4. Player and ball speed appear ever so slightly too quick

Hopefully these minor things can be tweaked for 10.2!

Cheers

I don't know for sure, mate... but it sounds to me like you copied a shortcut over to the cd - rather than the actual patch file.

No I thought that but the file is actually 71mb or whatever, which is the patch size. I just need to know how to stop it automatically "open with" fm2010 which i havent got a clue how to do. cheers though

Alright, new feedback.

There are too many long shots that go in. Also, this is backed up by every report available. Every goal of the month is almost always a screamer, a long shot etc... It happens too often, it needs toning down. I am tired of looking at the goal awards and always witnessing long shots, long shots, long shot... Please, tweak this.

Defenders leave gaping holes. Two defenders tend to chase one attacker leaving another attacker all alone. Needs tweaking.

Marking needs tweaking. SI has acknowledged this.

Last but not least. Has anyone had a 0-0? I've never had one for 3 months now in Serie A. AI matches seem to get 0-0s but I score in all my games, easily... It feels a little weird if you know I what I mean...

Cut inside instruction: Does not do a lot of cutting. Needs tweaking.

That's all for now. Keep up the good work.

The number of goals scored in games your team is playing is crazy, in 8 games I have scored 41 goals and conceded 3, totally unrealistic results (5-0 6-1 3-0 8-0 4-1 1-1 9-0 5-0).

Why is it every year this rears its ugly head and every year you fix this then release a new game and you have created the problem again.

This is badly letting the game down, the look of the game and the improved 3D is a big plus but I have to be honest I am not enjoying playing the game seeing results like this.

Also every year we see improvements, the sound has been the same for years with no progress made in this area .... Why??

Gary

It's not patch issue but it must be fixed at 10.2 ... AI managers don't give importance for Cups and Qualification rounds for euro cups (specially UEFA Europe League) Yes as we know most of the manager use rotation for that kind of games but not all ... I saw even 2nd tier teams use reserve / youths in the Cups and also in even Premier league teams Cup clash in quarter final against fierce rival ( They had full squad in the game but used 2 substitute goalkeeper as outfield player) ....

• SI Staff
Just to add a little more. Results in other games is pretty much spot on it is purely the games you play where the scorelines are stupid, badly, badly needs looking at.

But surely that is a tactical issue then?

But surely that is a tactical issue then?

It may be a tactical issue but even allowing for that the scores should not be in the main consistantly high, in real life yes high scoring games occur but not as consistantly as this. Even when playing lower class opposition you do find that the lesser teams see it as a "Cup Final" for them against the likes of Man Utd and in some cases actually do pull off shock results. The results are more "Fantasy" than "Realistic".

As mentioned in an earlier post this issue has occured several times before in previous versions of games and has been tweaked, seems that the tweaking has gone overboard, I think you may have hit on something regards it may being a tactical issue as the results in other matches are nothing like as crazy as the one's your own team is involved with, also the opposition rarely enter my half of the pitch, it is non stop one way attacking.

Something in the mechanics of the tactics needs probably needs looking at.

Gary

• SI Staff

Its possible, I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences. I know in FML using same code as FM that there are usually slightly more goals per game which can only be down to the way human teams approach matches. AI teams are fairly dynamic in terms of changing strategy according to the way the game is panning out, and we base our stat tests on AI matches as you need 100's of matches to remove margin of error. So my first guess is that AI teams are either more cautious full stop or more willing/able to close out games.

Its possible, I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences. I know in FML using same code as FM that there are usually slightly more goals per game which can only be down to the way human teams approach matches. AI teams are fairly dynamic in terms of changing strategy according to the way the game is panning out, and we base our stat tests on AI matches as you need 100's of matches to remove margin of error. So my first guess is that AI teams are either more cautious full stop or more willing/able to close out games.

Tactics wise just using 4-4-2 with defenders set to defend, 1 midfielder as defensive support, 1 midfielder supporting strikers and 2 forwards so not setting anything to attack minded. I have used the same tactic in each match so far.

Gary

I'm going to say it once more, just in case somebody actually listens this time.

I've been telling the FML team for a long, long time that this particular match engine has a serious problem with players converting easy chances. i.e., they don't. They miss one on ones and sitters time and time again. To an absolutely ridiculous degree. And it doesn't depend on the player - top strikers miss with just the same frequency as average and poor players. Composure doesn't matter, either. On the other hand, this is balanced out by the ridiculous proficiency that everybody seems to have from long range - with absolute screamers scored in nearly every match. Even the goals by smaller clubs against the big teams tend to be scorchers.

Hence, overall scores seem to be fairly accurate to real life, while you still get complaints about too many long range goals. This needs to be addressed, with the balance shifting more towards the easy chances.

Let's face it: most professional footballers do have some competency in the sense of knowing that they need to place the ball in the goal. In this match engine, it seems like once they are inside the penalty area all knowledge of this - along with any ideas of how to accomplish it - both go out the window! :o

By the way... I'm still struggling to believe that this frequency of penalties is down to my players. We've established it's not tactics, but it continues to happen - way more frequently than for the computer controlled teams. And the thing is, the penalties are always given away by different players. Last time out, it was one of my strikers that fouled them. I count that six penalties in only three months - given away by six different players.

That said, in terms of priorities... I'd much rather the issue of missing easy chances versus ridiculous long-range shots was looked at first. I would imagine that this isn't something you would easily notice, if you had to play most games as AI vs AI (in order to remove the margin of error, as you said). :confused:

Also, why on earth do my strikers go sideways when they have space to run straight into the opposing area? They are not bad strikers but it seems they tend to go sideways more often than not. The times they decide to go straight and reach the keeper they miss all one on ones. Has anyone witnessed this?

Also, please tone down the one on one chances that occur and just up the conversion rate of them a little. Surely you can see that the way things are now are pretty unrealistic. Don't forget to tone down the long shots conversion rate. It's like the game is now filled with Koemans...

In addition, when will we actually have strikers or wingers take on a single opponent? It is getting very tiring to see them running to the sides for a cross or losing the ball due to a bad pass.

I'm really disappointed that once more those problems make an appearance to an otherwise good (not excellent though) game.

Personnaly I don't have this problem of high score.

I just have one main frustration which I tried to explain many times :

- I'm feeling that the attacking actions are too much expected as the defense are a little bit passive, they are not reacting enough even with high closing down, hard tackle.

So the fight is not really existing for the ball and when an attack is planned from a team, it will be for sure a potential goal. I watch the match in full time 3D and with the latest patch.

You will see them react only when the ball will be "near" them, but it's for me too late.

The distance for a player reaction should be dropped seriously down ( if this parameter exists of course )

I hope SI is aware of this defense problem and will fix it for the next patch.

Thanks.

• Administrators
If there are no database patches, Blanchflower, how did SI correct the problem of Steve Carr being retired when he later moved to Birmingham?

Which I believe was the main reason for the 10.1 patch. ;)

That wasn't a tweak to the database, it was within the code - it was something that needed changing in a different area. Cheers.

I've the same issue. The game looks verry pollished and very detailed, but match engine is far from perfect.

The number of goals scored in games you play is way to high and have a lot of unrealistic results (my last 10: 3-0, 4-0 (their player got red card in 40th min), 5-0, 2-0, 0-4, 3-1, 4-0, 3-0, 2-0) and because of this, don't enjoy it as much:(. Think its because of very bad defending where defenders don't tackle and close down. My central defenders have 0.5, 0.6 average tacklings per game, which is too low... Also hate when see players scores 15-20 from 10-15 games (talking about premier league where it's impossible to be so consistent when play against great defenders). Also to much inch perfect crossings from wings and perfect through ball passes. Yes, it's happen in real life but not so often and think the reason is in-game bad defending. Don't get me wrong, mostly I win these games, but it's not real and it's annoy me.

Agree the the look of the game and the improved 3D is a big forward but I am not enjoying playing the game seeing results and games like this.

This kind of things are often problems and SI always make the game better and more realistic with second and finally third patch...

Alltogether I give 6.9 from 10 but hope SI will do a better job with patches and earns a world class reputation which they deserve. I play the fm/cm from DOS ages and I'm a programmer myself and know it's hard to simulate real life and very hard to master fuzzy logic, but can't believe non of the beta tester didn't mention these issues to look at!

I've the same issue. The game looks verry pollished and very detailed, but match engine is far from perfect.

The number of goals scored in games you play is way to high and have a lot of unrealistic results (my last 10: 3-0, 4-0 (their player got red card in 40th min), 5-0, 2-0, 0-4, 3-1, 4-0, 3-0, 2-0) and because of this, don't enjoy it as much:(. Think its because of very bad defending where defenders don't tackle and close down. My central defenders have 0.5, 0.6 average tacklings per game, which is too low... Also hate when see players scores 15-20 from 10-15 games (talking about premier league where it's impossible to be so consistent when play against great defenders). Also to much inch perfect crossings from wings and perfect through ball passes. Yes, it's happen in real life but not so often and think the reason is in-game bad defending. Don't get me wrong, mostly I win these games, but it's not real and it's annoy me.

Agree the the look of the game and the improved 3D is a big forward but I am not enjoying playing the game seeing results and games like this.

This kind of things are often problems and SI always make the game better and more realistic with second and finally third patch...

Alltogether I give 6.9 from 10 but hope SI will do a better job with patches and earns a world class reputation which they deserve. I play the fm/cm from DOS ages and I'm a programmer myself and know it's hard to simulate real life and very hard to master fuzzy logic, but can't believe non of the beta tester didn't mention these issues to look at!

Glad it's not just me getting stupid scorelines! I have the same feeling myself I am enjoying the game less and less due to high volume of goals scored, it just is n't realistic. SI may address this with there patch due after the next TF window but for me that will be too late. I did n't buy last years game due to the invoolvement of steam/DRM etc plus very poor 3D, liked the demo of this years game so bought it but as a long time player of the CM/FM series of games I really am disappointed crazy scorelines have again surfaced.

If i'm honest this will probably be the last FM game I will play, as mentioned in other posts certain aspects of the game are excellent, the 3D is excellent, the menu structure I like and of course some of the new features are great but you can have all that but if the match engine is poor then the good points really count for nothing.

Gary

i just hope they hurry up and get a patch sorted to fix these bloody crash dumps. how on earth can a game get released with yet another huge problem, if the testers couldn't find this problem then there isnt any point in using them, unreal. losing patinats with this game fast, same thing as last year!!..

why not put the release date back a month and have a game that actually works and does what it says on the cover...

Glad it's not just me getting stupid scorelines! I have the same feeling myself I am enjoying the game less and less due to high volume of goals scored, it just is n't realistic.

I want my team to stop scoring because it's unrealistic! They have scored in each and every game I have played for 7 months game time, they never stop. Even on a bad day I will surely score one.

In my better days, I get completely crazy score lines, like 4-4, 4-3, 3-3, 4-1. They happen more often than they should.

And I am Napoli. It actually makes the game feel so easy. Just push higher up, use a trequartista behind my two strikers, use one as poacher and one as a complete forward and I always -always- score at least one goal, regardless the opposition.

The ME is in a much worse state than I first thought. :(

I've looked though most of the posts and still can't figure out if my game has been updated! I downloaded the patch and installed it but when I start a new game it says that I am still using version 10.0.0 but on the preference screen it says 10.1 at the top. Is there an obvious change that I can check is in place on the game to confirm to me that I have the updated patch?

I've looked though most of the posts and still can't figure out if my game has been updated! I downloaded the patch and installed it but when I start a new game it says that I am still using version 10.0.0 but on the preference screen it says 10.1 at the top. Is there an obvious change that I can check is in place on the game to confirm to me that I have the updated patch?

This has already been covered in this thread. The DATABASE is still 10.0 because there has been no changes made to it in 10.1. As long as on the Game Status screen it says 10.1, then you are patched.

Having played 1st season with Lens and just starting 2nd, I'm really unsatisfied with the game.

Matches against teams weaker than Lens are so hard to win. My attackers can't seem to score in those,

my midfielders forget how to pass, my defenders how to mark a man. OK, no problem there, I'd say bad tactics if someone else wrote this.

But then, I'm playing against Bordeaux away and come away with an unusually easy win. OK, I guessed I was lucky.

The next in the line of top teams is PSG. I win 2-1. After PSG, I score 3 against Lyon. The game ends 3-3. Away. After Lyon, I come away with a draw against OM in Marseille and I was highly unlucky not to have won. Lille away - 1:1. Touluse away - 4-3.

I haven't lost single match against top French teams while playing away, but can't beat the likes of Valenciennes, UBSCO and Le Mans at home. Not only that I can't beat them, but I'm usually totally helpless. They play like Barcelona in their glorious days.

OK, I finished the first season and thought -everything will be normal in the second one.

First match, PSG away - comfortable 5-3 win. Second match, 1-1 against St. Ettiene home.

I will not play this game until the next patch because this is very unreal. I practicaly don't have to try hard to win "hard" games and can't win the "easy" ones no matter how hard I tried. I'll provied screenshots if necessary.

I'm absolutely loving the game so far; in the face of Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2 and all the other games out there with 2 on the end, I'm finding myself playing FM 2010 for three hours a night instead. :D

I only have one complaint though - playing in League One (I presume it's different the higher up you go), I'm seeing three backpasses per game on average go out for a corner. Usually they're not aimed anywhere near the keeper.

It's really annoying me now, you see it less than once a game in reality and when it happens, because it's so random and needless, it has that horrible tang of "uh-oh, here we go, CPU's getting desperate" (even though I'm sure that's not the case).

That's genuinely my only fault with the game so far (apart from the skinning side of things that's a bit naff this year, with the whole "kits go missing if you touch anything in the editor" fiasco, but I can live with that). :)

Seeing your username and that you play in League One I think you can safely assume it's probably the quality of the defenders that's resulting in amount of wayward back passes. If anything, the fact it's as low as 3 means you're doing well!

But then, I'm playing against Bordeaux away and come away with an unusually easy win. OK, I guessed I was lucky.

The next in the line of top teams is PSG. I win 2-1. After PSG, I score 3 against Lyon. The game ends 3-3. Away. After Lyon, I come away with a draw against OM in Marseille and I was highly unlucky not to have won. Lille away - 1:1. Touluse away - 4-3.

I haven't lost single match against top French teams while playing away, but can't beat the likes of Valenciennes, UBSCO and Le Mans at home. Not only that I can't beat them, but I'm usually totally helpless. They play like Barcelona in their glorious days.

OK, I finished the first season and thought -everything will be normal in the second one.

First match, PSG away - comfortable 5-3 win. Second match, 1-1 against St. Ettiene home.

While it seems that crazy scorelines do happen in big matches (which is a problem) more often than not, matches with weaker opponents are not that unrealistic, at least in my game.

I usually find that using more pressure than usual and a quicker tempo, weaker teams tend to make more mistakes thus resulting in me winning most of my matches. I agree it should be a little easier playing against them, just because you want the opportunity to rest some players for the big matches.

On the other hand, my results indicate that the game with patch 10.1 has somehow diminished the terror and difficulty of playing against teams like Barcelona, Real, Man U, Chelsea, etc, when you are a mid-table team. It seems very easy to score against them, especially when using a poacher.

For example, as a poacher, my striker will break the offside trap at least 4 times per game, thus scoring at least once. Unfortunately, the AI does not seem able to recognize that my poacher is breaking them apart. They don't drop deeper, they don't issue a man to man, they don't bring a DM closer to defense to close down the space.

If strikers could shoot most of the times properly (sometimes they shoot with no power at all - which needs tweaking) then I could easily score 4 goals per match.

I want my team to stop scoring because it's unrealistic! They have scored in each and every game I have played for 7 months game time, they never stop. Even on a bad day I will surely score one.

In my better days, I get completely crazy score lines, like 4-4, 4-3, 3-3, 4-1. They happen more often than they should.

And I am Napoli. It actually makes the game feel so easy. Just push higher up, use a trequartista behind my two strikers, use one as poacher and one as a complete forward and I always -always- score at least one goal, regardless the opposition.

The ME is in a much worse state than I first thought. :(

Yup, for me ME should be the most important aspect of game and they should work on it the most, which is not the case back in couple of years. It's annoy me too, to wait for Sep/Feb until patches sort out these problems, which are noticable from start. I mean, what the testing people are doing if not test the ME the most? :)

I mean, what the testing people are doing if not test the ME the most? :)

I think they bust their asses out on testing, but they have a deadline too. Don't forget that the master must be ready at least one month before the game goes to manufacturing.

I don't like it either that there always some bugs around the corner -and some serious unbalances- but as I said last week in another post, FM 10 truly is the most complete and bug free game they have produced in years.

Despite those damn long shots and the "scared" defenders. :)

i think the balance of strikers scoring is way to high. players that have managed 5 goals a season from 40 games IRL seems to suddenly score 30 goals a season on here, every striker at any level seem to avergae 6 goals in 9 games, and players score from 30 yards every game when they are not even in double figures for shooting or long shots. this must be looked at surly?

Paul/Neil,

I have to agree with the previous posts about red and yellow cards in the 10.1.0 patch. I have definitely noticed an increase since I installed the patch. I'm playing as Man Utd and have just broken the Premier League record for foul play with 80 yellow cards and 9 red cards in my current season with 33 games played. My tactics are set to "default" for tackling so this seems ridiculously high to me. I don't ask for assistant advice that might be over-ruling this.

Thoughts?

Archived