I'll tell you what is getting my goat at the moment. Non specific whinges and moans about FM08.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mully:

Bodis - read the post mate, I don't want an advisor to "win the league", I don't really give two flying Freemans' Catalogues about the advisor. My point was that it seems quite redundant when casual gamers have virtually no chance of enjoying the game in the state it's in right now.

And besides: "a league match" does not a league title win.

In my ever-so-humble opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark it down as a misread icon14.gif

I see what you mean, but as whoever worked on the advisor wasn't involved in making the match engine and vice versa I think it's "too easy" to blame that feature (or any other) for the issues in the match engine.

As far as I'm aware the advisor is fulfilling it's purpose.

The match engine is a seperate issue imo.

Anyway, didn't mean to interupt your venting icon_smile.gif It's very healthy I've been told icon14.gif

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play mate, no harm done.

Just call it biased, but as a complete and unashamed addict of FM, I just don't see the point. Suppose it's naive of me to assume that anyone who's going to buy FM already knows how to play it.

Ah well, back to the suppressing of the emotions now. icon_biggrin.gif

As Rushden and Diamonds: its 2017 I cannot win a cup game, up until i made the big time (premiership 2012 - fluked my way up)i had an excellent cup record getting to the league cup semis twice and F.A cup quarter final. Since I reached the premiership i have lost every cup game, the worst thing is that my team is a decent premiership team(lowest finish 15th) and we keep getting supposedly 'easy' draws (against league 1 and 2 sides often) but losing to these unsung superstars (home or away makes no difference). Its the consistency of the problem that bothers me (also every damn time the board and fans are disappointed and despite overachieving in the competition that MATTERS my jobs been in jeopardy several times).

So yeh thats getting my goat.

Super Keepers...

SI seem to have fixed quiote a few "bugs" from 07, but seemingly not this one... the worst bug of the game to date. Not only do keepers decide the fate of your season, normally, my keeper isn't super but rather stupid! It doesn't matter who I am, what league I play in or what country, there's always several games in a season where my team can muster 60% posession and 10 shots on target, scoring 1 goal if I'm lucky, whereby the opposition have 2 shots and end up beating me. I know people will say that keepers do play blinders in real life (Kevin Pressman is testament to this in every Sheffield derby he's ever played in) but for keepers from different teams to do this to me about 10-15 games per season seems a tad unrealistic and incredibly frustrating.

Point number 2 is... I have played FM since it was Championship Manager and I'm not too much of a bad manager, it tends to take a few seasons to build my team, but I can usually get promotions etc.. but in 08, I can't seem to do anything, no matter what team I manage. For example, I started a game with Red Star, arguably the best team in Serbia... oooh no, not when I'm in charge, I get hammered most games by teams with awful players, it doesn't matter how much I tweek the tactics or training, I still manage to lose, have I lost my touch, or is FM08 too difficult?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

My chairman has lost the plot icon_mad.gif

Earlier on in the season I was fighting off bids for my star right back, I had accepted a bid for £5m before changing my mind at the last minute and pulling out of the deal.

My chairman has just accepted a bid of £770k. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's done it again icon_mad.gif

This time it's my star left back, and probably the best player in my team. I have already turned down and pulled out of £5m deals for this player, but my chairman obviously thinks £1.4m is good enough.

After selling my other star player, my finances were looking ok, we are also top of the league with ambitions of playing in the Championship next season.

Why is he doing this? What is he trying to achieve?

Shall I tell you what **** me off ? When you spend about 6 hours doing your pre-season, your training is perfect, the friendlies are perfect, you have made a few decent signings. Nothing too extreme to mess up the team blend but you have improved the squad and brought in some quality. The tactics are working well, you hammer every team in pre-season by 5+ goals.

First game of season YOUR GOALKEEPER LETS IN EVERY ****ING SHOT ON TARGET AND YOU LOSE 3-2. They have 3 shots all game while you have 30 odd and oh look i've lost for no other reason than my goalkeeper.

Why does it generate SO many matches like this ? Your team is only as good as your GK on FM. You spend all game passing, probing, attacking, dominating the game and as soon as you score they just run up the pitch and equalise with their first shot of the game. It can take years and years to find a goalkeeper who doesn't let in EVERY ****ING SINGLE SHOT on goal. But they changed it a couple of versions back didn't they - now they save a few shots in the second half to make it look less ********. Don't think I don't notice how they concede everything in the first 30 minutes.

Honestly I could do a better job in goal than half the keepers on FM. All I would have to do is stand still and do nothing..... Once you find a decent keeper its problem solved but anything other than a world class GK and it's not even worth thinking about.

Shall I tell you what **** me off ? When you spend about 6 hours doing your pre-season, your training is perfect, the friendlies are perfect, you have made a few decent signings. Nothing too extreme to mess up the team blend but you have improved the squad and brought in some quality. The tactics are working well, you hammer every team in pre-season by 5+ goals.

First game of season YOUR GOALKEEPER LETS IN EVERY ****ING SHOT ON TARGET AND YOU LOSE 3-2. They have 3 shots all game while you have 30 odd and oh look i've lost for no other reason than my goalkeeper.

Why does it generate SO many matches like this ? Your team is only as good as your GK on FM. You spend all game passing, probing, attacking, dominating the game and as soon as you score they just run up the pitch and equalise with their first shot of the game. It can take years and years to find a goalkeeper who doesn't let in EVERY ****ING SINGLE SHOT on goal. But they changed it a couple of versions back didn't they - now they save a few shots in the second half to make it look less ********. Don't think I don't notice how they concede everything in the first 30 minutes.

Honestly I could do a better job in goal than half the keepers on FM. All I would have to do is stand still and do nothing..... Once you find a decent keeper its problem solved but anything other than a world class GK and it's not even worth thinking about.

Players blatantly ignoring my instructions. My AMRLC is set to: Little creative freedom, run with ball often, rarely play through balls, what does he do? He never runs with the ball and always plays through balls. Stats as follows: Pace: 16 Acceleration:14 Dribbling: 15 Passing: 9 Flair:5 Decisions:17 Composure:16 (his 'personality type' is professional). Die in hell AMRLC. (this is not over one game this is over a season).

Also i have a two footed player (dm/amc) who is useless at free kicks, i set 3 free kick takers for left sided/right sided free kicks but they are all right footed, so the game decides my usless dm/amc should take the kicks from the left despite my instructions to the contrary(the selected free kick takers being on the pitch).

Also why of why oh why does my corner taker who has taken one corner that is cleared for another corner then run into the box and some random player come across and take it? I specifically said i want my corners to be taken by a specific player, not that if he takes a corner that results in another corner you should randomly pull my left back upfield leaving them a two on one if they 'head' the ball clear 80 yards. icon_mad.gif

My goat is dead.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

Why do I always have the most wanted squad in the game icon_mad.gif 43 players and 17 listed as wanted, with Arsenal and Chelsea after 6 of my players alone. Having scouted extensively I know that there are players of comparable quality and potential at other clubs yet no one is sniffing around them. Why the hell not!!!

Same annoying crap as 07.

Step 1: I sign a player with potential to be a good premiership player

Step 2: 1 year later they are wanted by at least 5 clubs including big clubs who just by looking at their squad don't even need the player

Step 3: I reject bids of paltry amounts

Step 4: Player demands transfer

Step 5: Player joins big club at hot prospect despite being a squad player for me

Step 6: Player rots in the reserves of said big club

Repeat ad nauseum year in year out to the point of tearing my hair out.

It even happens when I have turned my club into a title challenging club. It feels like the AI clubs have a choice of 'Scout Human controlled teams' to assign their scouts and that's the first thing they do. So goddamn aggravating icon_mad.gif

And what's with the ridiculously low bids? I mean FFS the guy is worth 1.9m and has the potential to be a world class player what in the hell makes the AI repeatedly bid 1.8m for him. And why is it when I do the same approach the players never get frustrated at not being allowed to move clubs??

I've said it before and I'll say it again the Human manager is treated differently in the game when it comes to transfers/player behaviour. SI can deny it all they want but it's been like this for years. AI clubs signing players for lower contracts than I offer. AI clubs having lower transfer bids accepted. AI club players not bitching about first team football with the regularity mine do. It's one giant conspiracy I tells ya icon_mad.gif

It feels good to vent icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of my pet hates too! This game is even worse at this than ever before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mully:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ]steffelliott[:

... no comment ...

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5117/35134023rj2.png </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can do better than that mate:

feckingridiculouszc8.th.png

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I can add to that.

Game of Death

Yes, that is 37 shots against Chelsea and losing. Badly.

• 3 weeks later...

I know the rating system was changed for this new version, and that is all well and fine. But in the 6 seasons i now have played i have had 1 Cm/Dmc that has had a average rating over 7.00 (7.07). Seems the ratings for taking longshots is to heavily rated for the midfielders. It is impossible to stop them from taking shots as the AI of the game is now and that leads them to take 4-5 shots per game. As they miss all it does not matter how else they play as because they missed all their shots they get a rating of 6 for the game. Looked through a couple of leagues and this is not just a problem caused by my tactics as players like Fabregas, Ballack, Deco, Pirlo all have average ratings below 7.00.

Any one else noticed this?

And why wont players playing in Dmc do any tackles??????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nymanr:

I know the rating system was changed for this new version, and that is all well and fine. But in the 6 seasons i now have played i have had 1 Cm/Dmc that has had a average rating over 7.00 (7.07). Seems the ratings for taking longshots is to heavily rated for the midfielders. It is impossible to stop them from taking shots as the AI of the game is now and that leads them to take 4-5 shots per game. As they miss all it does not matter how else they play as because they missed all their shots they get a rating of 6 for the game. Looked through a couple of leagues and this is not just a problem caused by my tactics as players like Fabregas, Ballack, Deco, Pirlo all have average ratings below 7.00.

And why wont players playing in Dmc do any tackles?????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

7.00 is no longer an average rating.

It is a good rating.

How many more players are going to score their "first goal of the season" against me. Last match - concede a penalty. Up steps oppsoition left back (penalty taking 9) to score witb ease and add to his goal tally of 1 goal in 170 games! His last goal was in 2003.

It was the same on the old FM - Des Walker 687 games 2 goals - guess who the second goal was against.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nymanr:

And why wont players playing in Dmc do any tackles?????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

7.00 is no longer an average rating.

It is a good rating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well as an average all my other team members have 7.20. Best ones are rooney 7.70, Huntelaar 7.65 and Wes Brown 7.61. Don't understand why when playing blinding games but missing a couple of shots takes their rating down so much. As i said this comes only to my Cm/Dmc. They just cant get ratings over 7 if they don't score or make a goal leeding pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes it feels like I am at the mercy of the random nature of the match engine….

Have you ever watched a match in full and thought to yourself that everything you have done tactically looks right but the random things in the match engine screw you over?

1. Why does my goalkeeper suddenly start ignoring my instructions and starts pumping the ball up the pitch to my midget centre forwards?

2. Why does the majority of tackles seem to lead to the ball coming loose right to the foot of the opposition?

3. Why is it when my goalkeeper picks up a pass from one of my defenders he suddenly starts kicking it to the opposition in the majority of instances as if they have magnets in their boots and the ball is made of steel?

4. Why is the opposition suddenly first to the majority of 50/50 balls?

5. Why do my defenders clearances either dribble 5 yards in front of them like they blew at the ball with a straw, or land right on the foot of an opposition player, but the opposition defenders’ clearances turn in to either 80 yard perfect through balls or 60 yard arrow passes with the precision of William Tell shooting an apple off someone’s head?

6. Why does my centre half with marking 18, positioning 19, concentration 19 and decisions 17 suddenly stand still when the striker he is supposed to be marking (who has the magnificent off the ball attribute of 11 I might add) makes a run to score an uncontested header?

7. Why does my centre half (with attributes outlined in the previous point) decide to run to challenge for a ball that is dropping more or less in the same spot one of my midfielders is standing despite his closing down being set to almost none? Conveniently this leaves the opposition striker with a clear path to goal when the inevitable through ball arrives.

8. Why do my players with equivalent attributes to the opposition suddenly start finding it impossible to actually pass the ball to an open team mate? In particular why do my midfielders having a clear through ball to play to a striker instead decide to hit a parallel pass to the fullback which inevitably gets intercepted? And again conveniently the opposition midfielders seem to spot the exact same type of pass at every opportunity.

9. Why is it that suddenly the majority of goal kicks my keeper takes is won by the opposition, whose headers always find a team mate, resulting in me getting pinned in my own half regardless of my tactical settings?

10. And finally why is it that points 1 to 9 only seem to start occurring frequently when the opposition is trying to get a result e.g. come back from 1 or 2 goals down?

I watch matches in full and the AI changes absolutely nothing tactically as far as I can tell (maybe that’s the problem icon_confused.gif) yet it gets back into matches because all of the random engine decisions in points 1 to 10 start to go in their favour.

That’s my rant over. Now back to another sucker punch defeat in the last 10 minutes icon_mad.gif.

This game is really, really bad for my health. I need to take some yoga lessons or stop taking this game so seriously icon_wink.gif.

Weird injuries, including all players in the same position getting injured at the same time (on a previous FM game I had 2 goalkeepers fracture thei skulls on the morning of the champions league final) or my flu outbreak at the African Cup of Nations.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bodis:

No wins in 12 games!

This drought has started me asking existential questions like:

- Am I really this bad?

- Should I go back to FM07?

- Will the final patch give me the FM experience I crave?

- If the smart cache sounds play when no one is around, does it still make sound?

- Does a bear relieve itself in the woods? and if so, does it know how to effectively use a 442 counterattacking style?

- Is the pope catholic? If so, how does he feel about punishing GK's who find themselves in midfield at the start of the second half?

- If train A leaves station B at 60km pr hour, how long will it take before it gets fired for overachieving? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

-dunno

-probably

-doubtful

-a question as old as questions themselves

-yes,yes

-no, therefore no

-depends what patch the train is using

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing too bad. BUt when england squads are announced and players are left out cos of injury, but reported in media as unhappy at being dropped and morale drops. Jeez mate your injured i know mclaran is an idiot but he want pick you with a broken ankle!!!! (Unless your juhn terry ;-))

Also when playing for national sides and reporting back with a broken leg and out for season, always just after transfer window closes. £30 mill sitting in funds and nowt to do argh!!!!

rant over

thanks for listening

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

The amount of players parent clubs loan out to their feeder teams in the English leagues, it really puts me off managing in those leagues. It ruins the lower league game. icon13.gificon13.gificon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I stopped my dafuge challenge game.

England is dead for me with FM08 icon13.gif.

Losing the Premiership on the last day of the season to Arsenal icon_frown.gif

The Central Midfielder ratings 'bug'/issue.

The fact that the best central midfielders in the world can't play box to box and score goals for you - but rather continually hit some poor granny in row Z.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Central Midfielder ratings 'bug'/issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen a few people mentioning this recently. Again it's somethimg that I haven't really experienced.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Central Midfielder ratings 'bug'/issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen a few people mentioning this recently. Again it's somethimg that I haven't really experienced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh high end MC/AMC shooting is woeful from range. Stephen 'Eye of a Needle' Gerrard is currently being questioned by police for murdering most of the Kop in FM08 with his thunderous efforts that go anywhere but near the goal.

It really is woeful.

What I'd like to know is here have the glorious 'banana' shots gone? Makes me a sad puppy to see a stiker have to score again by playing the ball in a direct straight line, or not seeing anyone trying to curl the ball round the keeper.

I know what you mean about long shots. Hasn't this gone the other way after the initial release which allowed ridiculous long shot goals?

I see quite a few curled shots. Many of them miss and even curl the wrong way completely but I've seen quite a few more this season.

I must admit, I think FM08 has the worst match engine experience I've ever seen in the series (and this is from someone whow started way back when with good old CM and CM Italia)

I thought FM2007 was excellent and well pitched with a perfect network of interplay with teams genuinely looking like their real life counterparts.

Don't get me wrong, I do like FM08 immensely but I'm just saddened that it's been cheapened particularly for teams who don't want to play direct and sharing the same frustration with you in smaller leagues with those damn 'Brazil 1970 possessed' Greys.

Archived