[RELEASE] OLT Expanded Hair Pack v1.0

O'Leary's Trainee

fm2ba.jpg

OLT Expanded Hair Pack v1.0:

Having worked on this project for quite some time by now, and loving every second of it, I have now finally decided to wrap it up and call it done - the very first Hair Pack created for Football Manager's FaceGen feature.

With more than 400 new hair styles for your newgens, this pack will ensure much greater variety, realism and enjoyement to your gaming experience - truly a must have for any career gamers (like myself).

Current Stats:

Afro: 49

Long: 4

Medium: 16

Short: 29

Asian: 4

Long: 3

Medium: 1

Short: 0

Euro: 258

Long: 42

Medium: 73

Short: 143

Hispanic: 96

Long: 16

Medium: 23

Short: 57

TOTAL: 407 different hair styles!

How to install:

- Extract file into the following directory:

- [YOUR FM INSTALL FOLDER*]\data\facegen\hair

* Steam Users (default):

- C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009

* Others (default):

- C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009

Note: In the facegen/hair folder, you should notice four folders already (afro, asian, euro & hispanic). These are the default hairs for the game. You should add the "olt hairpack" folder additionally to those so you don't write over the original hair styles. So DO NOT extract the "afro", "asian", "euro" & "hispanic" folders from within the "olt hairpack" folder directly into the "facegen/hair" folder. Extract the actual folder "olt hairpack" into this directory.

New hairstyles will take effect immediately upon loading up the game.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: After install - all existing newgens will show up with new hair styles (including those in the pack), so your generated players will instantly get new looks after install - this is a bug in the game which I can't do anything about. On occasion players get new hairstyles during gameplay as well, but this happens with or without my installed hairpack, and will hopefully be fixed in a future patch/version of FM.

FIND THE LATEST DOWNLOAD HERE!

Newgens will never look the same once you install this!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's odd...

Try downloading it again, because there is nothing wrong with the file on my computer.

If it still doesn't work, maybe the upload is messed up, in which case I'll quickly upload a new one.

---------

EDIT:

Nothing wrong with the uploaded file. I just downloaded and it extracted just fine. Must be your download that got corrupted. Just download again, and it should work.

Did you download it again?

If not, are you extracting directly into the FM facegen/hair folder?

That may be read only, which I guess could prevent it from extracting. Try extracting it anywhere on the computer if that is the case.

I'd really want to hear you successfully installing this, as I can't see any problems at all on my end.

Pictures you just uploaded are all of default hair styles...

But, did you get it extracted?

If you look in the FM Directory "data\facegen\hair", you should see 5 folders within that folder. "asian", "afro", "euro", "hispanic" and "olt hairpack". Within the "olt hairpack" folder you should see a repeat of the various ethic groups, and in each of those the folders "long", "medium" and "short". Inside each of those you will find the hair png's as well as two xml files "hair" and "config".

You need to close down FM and restart the game (untick skin cache) to get it to work in game.

So, this is the correct format?

Yes, that would be the correct way to put it. Glad you got it working.

Can we have a direct link to the download in the opening post please OLT, rather than a link to your forums in general.

I've added a direct link to the specific forum topic. Hope that's good enough, as the added information found there is useful for those looking to download the file.

Well no, you shouldn't be linking to your forums at all - that was my point. There is a strict no advertising rule here. Really the install info should be added here along with a direct file download and that's it. Much of your OP is aimed at getting people to visit your forums.

If you could edit as appropriate (including the image which advertises your forums too). Cheers :thup:

radestock:

To be fair... I can't see any forum rules which states the non-advertising rule in the Skinning Hideout.

I've tried to comply with your request as good as I can though, but the link still has to point to the forum topic as the download link does not allow remote linking. It is also of great importance that I get the necessary stats, so that I know how to proceed with this project in the future to make it even better. I did remove all the text which "advertises" the site, so all that remains is the picture and the link which leads directly to the download - I can't see how any of that would break any forum rules.

Cardiovascular:

Glad to hear it. I was wondering about that last night :)

That would be a redhead :)

I personally think it works, but if anyone else doesn't feel that it is a realistic hair color I can change it.

If you're referring to the fact that his hair changed (at all), that is one of the side-effects when installing the pack. All existing NewGens will get a new hairdo after install - after that it should work as usual.

There is also a problem with the game that it does not remember/store the hair color information (even though these are specifically assigned in the hair.xml) - so whenever they do change hair styles, they can get any type of hair it appears (except caucasians won't be getting afro hair styles and the like). The colors, however, can change in a hurry.

Hopefully this is an issue which can be looked at for the next patch.

It adds to the existing hair styles as long as it is installed according to instructions.

But, after install - players will change their hair styles regardless (nothing I can do about that).

I am also working on a replacement pack for the existing hairs, which should make them slightly better looking (as I think they are pretty poor to be honest), and generally fit on the player heads better as well as looking more realistic in color.

radestock:

To be fair... I can't see any forum rules which states the non-advertising rule in the Skinning Hideout.

House rules global to our forums and are there for everyone to see' date=' specifically [url']http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=10589[/url]

I've tried to comply with your request as good as I can though' date=' but the link still has to point to the forum topic as the download link does not allow remote linking. It is also of great importance that I get the necessary stats, so that I know how to proceed with this project in the future to make it even better.[/quote']

That's rubbish tbh, it's just a filefront link. If you can't remote link to the file then how do you link to it from your forum topic? As for the stats, good, bad or OK is hardly a comprehensive feedback system. Any user comments are going to be of far more use and you'll get those here.

I did remove all the text which "advertises" the site' date=' so all that remains is the picture and the link which leads directly to the download - I can't see how any of that would break any forum rules.

[/quote']

Look, I asked nicely. They aren't my rules but I need to make sure they're adhered to. If you're going to showcase something then by all means do so but your forum has nothing to do with it. Not initially including installation instructions for example so that users need to go look at your site just creates confusion like Cardiovascular had.

This is good work btw and I hope you pursue it and that we get more updates as you create them :)

Umm I extracted it and now all my players are bald :(

Are ALL your players bald? No single newgen gets even the default hair styles? In that case I'm afraid you must've done something wrong.

Can you look in the folder (facegen/hair) and see if it looks like the picture Nikandros33 posted above? That is what it should look like.

If that's how it is done, please check inside the folders of your olt hairpack folder to make sure that there are actual .png images of the hair inside them (as that is the only logical explanation that I can come to think of right off the bat).

Post as much info as you can on the subject, and I'll see if I can help you figure out what's wrong.

--------

Speaking of which though:

I feel there are too few bald players (or players with shaved heads) being generated - a "hair style" which is very common irl - so, for my next update of this pack... should I add a number of shaved head hair styles (with some added facial hair for variety?).

There are only a couple of those in the game, and only one which I "listed" in the config as "bald", which I'm curious to see if the game recognizes in the 3D engine.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3333/92713344gy7.jpg

When I extracted it into the 'facegen' folder, it all came out like that. Was a bit worried but it works fine, as you can see:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7311/paulbakerln1.jpg

Fantastic bit of work, can't tell the difference between most of these and the default ones, brilliant stuff. :thup:

Thanks. I've really enjoyed making these.

I am currently working on a replacement pack to make the defualt ones better looking as well. Especially the afro hairs that come with the game, which I think are pretty awful. They don't "sit right" on the heads often, and the coloring and edges do not blend well with the face at all.

The default hairs will all still be the same, but I am just "touching" them up a bit to make them look smoother and better.

ok i dont know if its working......

is it definately meant to be put in program files and not my documents where all facepacks etc are?

also i am currently playing it.....do i need to quit and restart?

Yes, you need to quit the game and restart it for it to take effect. The game reads these files upon launch of the exe. You will notice the change immediately upon reloading the game.

Enjoy :)

I love these. I've added them to my site (http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=261). I hope you don't mind.

It's ok. I want as many people as possible to have access to this pack. I would appreciate it, though, if you could post a link to the OLT forums on there though.

I feel there are too few bald players (or players with shaved heads) being generated - a "hair style" which is very common irl - so' date=' for my next update of this pack... should I add a number of shaved head hair styles (with some added facial hair for variety?).

[/quote']

DEFINITELY - YES! Especially most african players irl have very short/shaved hair, which is not reflected in the hairstyles to date. :)

Right.

Tried installing this pack and have obviously messed up somewhere along the line, now FM won't load. So, being the idiot I am, I messed about with the hair folder some more to no avail.

Could someone please upload their whole 'hair' folder so that I can download it.

Would be much appreciated :thup:

I'd agree with the shaven head idea. You could possibly add some out of the box ideas, like some hairstyle Cisse and Diouf come out with.

Absolutely.

I've been toying with the idea of creating a "special" weird hairdo's pack, consisting only of mohawks, braided afros and whatever eyepopping hairstyles I can come to think of. Reason to make it a seperate file all together would be so that those who don't want any weird do's on the heads of their players can choose not to download that pack. It wouldn't be as big a pack as this one though, partly so that the footballing world is not overrun with controversial looking players :)

The shorter hairs will certainly be focused on though for my next release. As well as more styles with some added facial hair... though I want to be careful with those, as they don't look too great on a fifteen year old newgen (I wish there was a way to use two layers - one for the hair, one for facial hair which could be added as the players grow older).

OLT - can you make three packs? I know it's more work but once you've created all the images then putting them into packs wont take long. The first pack will be the 'Special Weird Hairdo's Pack' with just the special hairstyles. The second is your default 'Expanded Hair Pack v1.0'. Finally, an 'OLT Megapack' which basically is the 'Expanded Hair Pack v1.0' but with a few special hairstyles included in it too.

You have put them in the Football Manager 2009 folder in your documents, not the program files folder.

Place the files here:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\facegen\hair

If you activated the game via Uniloc

or:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2009\data\facegen\hair

If you activated the game with Steam

Archived