FM2010: Hull City A.F.C - Let The Tigers Roar

TigerTime

Welcome to the Hull City Thread for Football Manager 2010

2511353308_49d192be47.jpg?v=0

Hull City Association Football Club is an English football club based in Kingston upon Hull, founded in 1904. In 2007–08 they achieved promotion to the top flight of English football for the first time in their history, by winning the Championship play-off final at Wembley. They finished the 2008–09 season 17th in the Premier League table, successfully avoiding relegation by one point on the last day of the season. The previous highest position Hull City had finished in the English Football League was third in the old second division in 1909–10, which they matched in 2007–08 when they gained promotion. Their greatest achievement in cup competitions came in 1930, when the team reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup.

Hull play their home games at the KC Stadium. They previously played at Boothferry Park, but moved to their current home in 2002, with Boothferry Park set for demolition. They traditionally play in black and amber, often with a striped shirt design, hence their nickname of The Tigers.

Again, many have tipped Hull to get relegated this season. But the squad is not short of quality and boasts some big name players such as Geovanni, Jimmy Bullard and Jozy Altidore (currently on loan from Villarreal). In the summer Hull were reasonably busy in the transfer market buying Kamel Ghilas Stephen Hunt, Seyi Olofinjana, Ibrahima Sonko and Steven Mouyokolo. Leaving the KC Stadium though was fans favourite Michael Turner who moved to Sunderland for an undisclosed fee, thought to be Hull’s record sale.

Club Information

Nation: England

Year Founded: 1904

Chairman Status: Loves the club

Legends: Ken Wagstaff, Chris Chilton, Raich Carter, Dean Windass

Icons: Justin Whittle, Warren Joyce, Ian Ashbee, Brian Horton

Favoured Personnel: Adam Pearson, Phil Brown, Stuart Elliot, Brian Little

Fierce Rivals: Leeds, Sheffield Utd, Scunthorpe

Other Rivals: Grimsby, Sheffield Wed, Doncaster

Finances: Secure

Average Ticket Price: £20.00

Average Season Ticket Price: £350.00

Season Ticket Holders: 20,500

Estimated Value: £36.5m

Continental Competition: None

Media Prediction: 20th

Squad Personality: Professional

The Squad

GK: Boaz Myhill, Matt Duke, Tony Warner

RB: Bernard Mendy

LB: Andy Dawson

DC: Paul Mcshane, Anthony Gardner, Steven Mouyokolo, Kamil Zayatte, Ibrahima Sonko (on loan from Stoke)

MCd: Sefi Olofinjana, Ian Ashbee, George Boateng

MCa: Jimmy Bullard, Dean Marney, Nick Barmby

RM: Geovanni, Craig Fagan

LM: Kevin Kilbane, Peter Halmosi, Stephen Hunt

ST: Jozy Altidore (on loan from Villarreal), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, Daniel Cousin, Caleb Folan, Kamel Ghilas

*players in italics are injured at the start of the game.

Squad Analysis

Goalkeepers: One of the weaker areas of the squad. Myhill has had a much deserved stat increase in FM10 but still isn’t a great keeper. He still should provide adequate though if your target is only to avoid relegation. The other keepers are Matt Duke and Tony Warner. Neither is great to be honest but if you’re short on cash Duke can still do a decent job as a back-up keeper for 1 more year. I’d advise selling Warner as he is way past his peak and his stats should start declining straight away. Don’t expect a high bid for him though.

Who to sell: Tony Warner

Transfer target: Vincent Enyeama, Stipe Pletikosa, Scott Carson

One for the future: Giovanni Pignataro

Defenders: Hulls defenders in FM are that bad to be honest. Both Zayatte and Gardner have 15+ stats in all the right places and Sonko and Mouyokolo, who is a great player for the future, have good stats as well and make good back-up. But there is only one natural full back for each position which is a problem. But an easy way to get round this problem is to retrain Paul Mcshane and Kevin Kilbane as full backs as both play well there or you can buy two full backs as there are plenty of decent transfer targets. Nathan Doyle is another full-back but he’s nowhere near Premiership quality.

Who to sell: Nathan Doyle

Transfer target: Javier Garrido, Andriy Nesmachnyi

One for the future: Liam Cooper

Midfielders: Hull are very strong in the middle of the park boasting a host of quality central midfielders. Record signing, Jimmy Bullard is a great player once he returns from injury as is Geovanni. Dean Marney is also great back-up and could even make the first team because of his consistent performances and high work-rate. On the defensive side of things you have Seyi Olofinjana who is a very good ball winning midfielders and of course two veterans, Ian Ashbee and George Boateng who can be used as back-up and tutors. There’s the ageing Brian Hughes as well in the reserve squad but he definitely won’t be able to get a game with the amount of depth in Hulls midfield. I’d advise you to sell him. On the wings you’re not short of options either. Geovanni can also play on the right and should be started ahead of Craig Fagan. On the left there isn’t much quality so here is a place where the midfield could perhaps be improved.

Who to sell: Brian Hughes

Transfer target: Georgino Wijnaldum, Andres D’Alessandro, Julio Arca

One for the future: Jamie Devitt

Strikers: Possibly the strongest area of the team. Here you have two great complete forwards in Ghilas and Altidore. Altidore is a key player in the team and if you can keep him fit then you’re in for a good season. As well you have two target men – Vennegoor of Hesselink and Daniel Cousin. Hesselink is a good player and you should make use of his aerial dominance. Also there’s Caleb Folan, but he’s way past his best. I’d try and sell him on for £1m+.

Who to sell: Caleb Folan

Transfer target: N/A

One for the future: Yann Ekra

Overall: Overall Hull have a strong squad but areas could be improved. If the full back spots and the left wing spots are improved with quality players then you could be on your way to a middle table finish.

Star Player

jozy-altidore1.jpg

Josmer Volmy "Jozy" Altidore (born November 6, 1989) is an American soccer player who currently plays for English club Hull City, on loan from Villarreal. He also plays for the United States national team.

Jozy in FM is a beast. His stats may not show this fully but in front of goal he is lethal. I’ve found the best way to utilize him is to play him of a target man as a complete forward. He should score 15+ goals in the first season and create a fair load of assists also. Him and Ghilas are very similar players and also maybe could be an effective strike partnership. Why don’t you give it a go?

I highly recommend you attempt to buy him when his loan finishes as he is a class act and a great striker. Unfortunately though you may have to pay a lot to keep him as Villarreal brought him for £5m so they probably won’t sell for anything less. In the end you may end up paying in excess of £7.5m.

Conclusion

If you’ve managed to read the last 1,200 words then well done! Don’t worry if you don’t start the season brilliantly, Hull are predicted 20th for a reason, and that’s because it’s going to be a tough job keeping them up. But mostly have fun and....

LET THE TIGERS ROAR

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little competiton table here to see who does the best managing Hull in the first season!

League Finish: 1st - 20, 2nd - 19 etc

Trophies: 15 for each trophy

Season 1

Username              League Finish            Trophies                    Points
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Seddon
Roary The Tiger
Pelicanstuff
Azzy Red Devil             9th                   N/A                          11
Jarvo 360                  16th                  N/A                          04
Tyler 42                   9th                   N/A                          11
hannan300188               16th                  N/A                          04

i signed:

david beckham for 500k and 42k a week, the board and fans loved that plus i made him my captain!

Kevin Thompson from rangers was transfer listed so i got him for £1.5 looks a real bargain to add steel and youth to CM

Lauren on a free transfer as cover for RB

Vaclav Kadlec - my scouts where not raving about his potential but all the big clubs where after him so i snapped him up for 1M, he has scored 6 goals in 4 pre-season games definately one for the future as my coach's now say he has the potential to be the best player for the club

marc muniesa from barca for 120k, looks a good prospect for CB

asmir begovic as cover in goal, really struggled in this position so myhil is going to have to be my first choice

Amr Zaki... a risk but for 2M looks like he might score some crucial goals for me

Andwele Slory only signed him for cover on the wings because he was transfer listed but has good potential and scored a hat trick and MOM on his debut in pre-season

Daniel Opare from real madrid, again another prospect for the future potential reserve back up after lauren's contract runs out

i sold a lot of dead wood for 6.2Mil and have spent 7.5M so still in a health position, i sacked all my staff which was a mistake because i struggled to find a decent Ass Man with the qualities i like also there is one coach on 9k aweek who the board would not let me sack due to high compensation, would be great to get him off the books as his stats dont match his wage!

using a 4-4-2

my opening game i drew with chelsea 0-0 and carvalho was man of the match which says something!

i then lost 2-0 to man city

won stockport 2-1

beat everton 1-0

and drew with villa 2-2

mixed bag so far but pleased with how things are going, i will keep you updated

He is on loan from Stoke City

Changed, thanks!

I will definately get a Hull save going at some point as I had my best ever save with them on 09. £7m is a tidy sum to bring in enough to avoid relegation.

Nice one! The 7m budget goes a long way btw. :thup:

:thup: to you Joe, excellent OP and I'm glad I let you do it, because this is excellent. May get a save going with the tigers but everytime on 09, I just took them down the sink :(
Nice OP, I'll be playing as Hull when I get the full version :thup:

Thanks!

I'll post my transfers;

Thought maybe I could get a better DC but no one came :(

On one of my experiment games I offered Sol Campbell a £40,000 a week contract, even though he wanted £20,000 a week and he still went to West Brom??? But I suppose that's life. :D

Hi guys,

I enjoyed Hull in FM07 so I decided to play the demo with them. 5m(7m) transfer budget is great compared to others. Also the squad is pretty solid.

My current transfers are:

Kevin Thomson from Rangers for 1.5m

Cosmin Contra from Getafe for 0.5m - bought him for cover but became first choice RB

Chevanton from Seville for 2.5m - had a great pre season. I'm curious what happens during the season.

I also tried to sign:

Sol Campbell - Went to West Brom

Enyeama - Went to Real

Michael Ball - Went to West Ham

Jorge Andrade - Went to Newcastle

Nistelrooy, Pandev, Shorey, David James rejected contracts and stayed with their clubs.

I couldn't sell anyone. Lots of clubs are interested but no bids come in.

Right now I'm happy with my squad except GK. I'm not sure Boaz is the man to put my trust on. I've searched this forum for GK recommendation but still can't find my man. I'll be grateful for your advice.

Thanks.

Update: I bought Tim Krul from Newcastle for 2m. Not Ideal but a definite improvement.

Sol Campbell - Went to West Brom

Surprise, surprise :D

Good transfer btw. Myhill should be adequate, he's been good for me in my experiment games!

EDIT: Just decided to add in my second post a competition table. It records down how well everyone has done in each season and who has had the most successful first season.

Good day to you all fellow tigers

decided last night to give the trail ago

Transfers so far

Ins

Viduka Free

Glauber Free

Camara Free

Sneidjer 1.3mil

lauren Free

Tunchev 3.3mil

Future ins

Beckham Free Jan

Donovan Free Jan

Reginiussen Free Jan

Outs

Folan Loan

Marney 2mil

Hughes 350k

Doyle 975k

Halmosi 3.1mil

Looking good so far, draws to hull reserves and York were low points for me and only 4-0 wins over winterton and ferry, and a 4-0 lose to inter, however things are starting to pick up and are looking better for the team, Ashbee being out for 14months is a bit of a bitch considering his contract ends in 2010, so offered him a new contract at 12k a week instead of the 15k but he refused, bit aprehensive about giving him 15k a week when i dont have him for 14months, so not sure what im gonna do on the full version with him, dont wanna get rid of him but might have to, tried signing windass as a coach but my board only want me to have 6 :(

Not sure boaz will do the job in goal as per ususal his stats are fairly poor, and as much as i like him i would much rather have a better cover than warner, or simply a better keeper all together, the young lad giovani seems to do well in the pre seasons games ive played him but i know hes not upto prem standards, also trying to figure out who else to sell, Ghilas i dont like and he doesn't look good in my eyes, but i know i cant sell him tempted to seel Fagan or Cousin, but not sure ill get much for them,

also any ideas on how far into the game u can get with the demo?

dont even think ill get to jan then for my beckham signing lol :( and being ill is the best time for FM playing cause u can do it all day everyday, also as per usual great little bit at the begining about hull

whats everyone going to do about Ashbee when they get him? to keep on at 15k a week and run the risk u get 1 season out of him with average stats, but keep fans happy, or just let his contract run out and let him go on a free. and potentially upset fans!

Roary The Tiger

Who will you replace him with though? We're announcing the new chairman after saturdays game.

Goshawk

Nobody will buy him and he's a legend so I leave him in the reserves and try and get him as a coach when his contract runs out.

a good plan Joe now to get my board to allow me more than 6 coaches as i want windass as well, not sure he'll make a great coach but hes a legend so i'll try my best

so excited only 2 hours to go and then im off to Asda to get it, just worried im not gonna sleep tonight :S

hopefully my signings will do me proud just gonna play the demo and look for a few other people that i might like and make a finial decision on whos coming in and whos coming out, my biggest decision is to get beckham on a free and wait until Jan and hope what i have does the job or spend 475k and have him straight off, not a major amount of money i know but its the difference between getting 1 player and not getting him due to lack of funds :D

Hey Joe - I'll replace him with a guy called Adam ....oh now whats his name, it's on the tip of my tongue, yeah thats it - Adam Pearson :D Surely you dont expect it to be anybody else ??

Pearson isn't wealthy enough to take over the club by himself. I'm expecting him and a couple of rich friends to take us over, with him as chairman.

My last little play with the demo before installing the full game happens to be Hull - been finding it tough going right at the start of the season, with heavy losses to Man City, Everton & Peterborough in the Carling Cup but things finally seem to be coming good with a 4-0 win away at Villa.

My team is pretty unrecognisable and a bit heavy on midfielders, light on defenders - a situation that'll hopefully be rectified if I get a big offer for Geovanni in the winter - refused two £4.1m + 30% bids as the window was closing.

GK Lux

DR Contra

DL Kilbane

DC Zayatte

DC Sonko

MR Jakob Poulsen

ML D'Alessandro

MC Seyi

MC Geovanni

FC Zaki

FC Altidore

Subs:

Myhill

Dawson

Gardner

Boateng

Krivets

Kvist

Vennegoor of Hesselink

Deciding what to do with the midfield will be interesting when Bullard comes back. Had to sell Mendy for £4m plus sell-on and Halmosi for £3.1m plus sell-on as they were both unhappy, Doyle and Hughes have also been disposed of. Degen was bough in for cover at RB.

Archived