Anyone else going to bring back the original European Cup format?

Yeah so with this new editor, is anyone else planning to reintroduce the original European Cup format? Only the champions of each league are entered in the next season's competition (as well as the holders, obviously), and a straight knock-out from the start like a true cup competition. That's the way it should be imo :thup:

I fully intend on righting this wrong in the money-greedy world of football. Anyone else?

If this is turned into a db, will it be easy to use it to replace the current european cup?

I'm sure we'll be able to replace the Champions League with [a created] European Cup in the league rules, won't we? We can't edit an existing competition, but we should be able to deactivate it (and activate our own), right SI?

You can't, but surely we can create a new one and make the winners of each League qualify for that instead of the existing one.

Oh please tell me we can. SI? Hello?

Yes, you could be able to create your own cups, but you wont be able to erase or change current cups, like UEFA CL or UEFA EL, or CONCACAF CL

Yes, you could be able to create your own cups, but you wont be able to erase or change current cups, like UEFA CL or UEFA EL, or CONCACAF CL

I can't even deactivate the Champions League then??? :(

What a swizz. In that case, FM10 is going to be rubbish. :mad:

Any word from SI on whether this will be possible? All I want to do is create a new European Cup, and make the winners of each league qualify for that, instead of the Champions League.

Hello? SI?

Thread posted: Friday night.

Moaning for an SI response: Saturday Evening.

Business hours between thread opening and complaint: Zero.

r0x0r, I do hope you're joking there when you say I'm 'moaning' in this thread. I'm really just keeping the thread fresh in the hope more people will discuss it until such time as someone from SI has the chance to reply (or someone else who knows for sure if what I'm saying will be possible).

:thup:

Yes me too!!! When the new data editor was announced I wanted to create a similar style European Cup 'back to the glory days'. However with only the domestic champions and previous winners, surely many great players and teams will be missing? I personally would have the best 16 teams in europe split into four groups of four. With the top two teams progressing to the quarter finals. This way every match is a 'big one'. With your idea of a knock out from the out set (like it was) , the only problem would be the possibility of two of europes finest locking horns in the first round. Europes elitest competition should have the best teams in europe and not like today where many teams are just there to make up the numbers for TV revenue and ultimatley money! But yes you cannot edit existing european competitions whcih is a major blow:(, and i don't believe you can create new competitions, only inter-league competitions I think. It seeems the new data editor in FM2010, is aimed at people who want to create leagues in previously unplayable countries, and adding lower tiers to existing leagues to manage local teams. Which I personally will not benefit, but it seems that there has been a massive demand for this, with people wanting to manage teams and in countries that previously were not available, which will be amazing for those people!!! I would guess that in Fm 2011 there will be a facility to create the ultimate premier european competition!:)

I personally would have the best 16 teams in europe split into four groups of four. With the top two teams progressing to the quarter finals. This way every match is a 'big one'.

I think that would be a great competition to create, basically the euro champiosnhips format but for the big european club.

Although, like Wee Aja, i would love to bring back the old style European Cup complete with old style UEFA Cup and Cup Winners' Cup. Such a shame that these were lost from European football in favour of those bloated monsters named the Champions League and Europa Cup.

Oh btw, this is from the editor blog:

Things that you cannot do with the editor

- Continental Competitions cannot be edited (eg. The Champions League)

- The number of places leagues get for continental competitions cannot be edited

Now some things that you can do with the editor

- Add inter-league Cup competitions (Examples Cup between Scottish & English Teams)

I think this basically confirms that it won't be possible to create the old style European Cup. I thought the inter-league cup could offer a work around but thinking about it more that wouldn't work either.

Although, like Wee Aja, i would love to bring back the old style European Cup complete with old style UEFA Cup and Cup Winners' Cup. Such a shame that these were lost from European football in favour of those bloated monsters named the Champions League and Europa Cup.

Yeah that in tern would make the UEFA a worthy competition again and the Cup Winners Cup was always enjoyable. Reverting back to these three competitions would bring back some of the intensity that the UEFA Cup or 'Europa League' is missing. The Europa League now is just so 'messy', it needs to be concise so that people can understand and follow the competition. I mean 12 groups of four is just too many, and then champions league 3rd placed teams from the group stage going into the knock out stages does not work very well, just confuses matters still, and is unfair on the existing teams who have played from the start in the Europa League, and do the 3rd placed teams deserve another bite at the cherry? I mean surely in real life last season with Tottenham resting players in the UEFA Cup for the benefit of the domestic league, that says all we need to know that the UEFA Cup has lost it appeal and regard. Playing in Europe should be a massive occasion and honour, and not some treck across Europe that seems a chore and anticlimax as it is today. :( However the better the Champions League is the worse the Uefa Cup becomes, in terms of the quality of teams in the Uefa Cup. So maybe the best way of improving the UEFA Cup/Europa League would be to dilute the Champions League to the 'Domestic Champions' and previous winners 'old school style' :)

you should just keep it as is & edit the world club cup to that format.

lets be honest, its a bit of a joke in its present state "6 teams & the euro team gets a by" bahhh.

a world club cup in knockout style with the champions from every top league inthe world!!!!! now thats a competition worth createing :D

you could do it but would have to create a whole new competition......................you cant edit the current champs league:thdn:

In real life there is talk about trying to go straight knock out...............but wont happen big clubs wouldnt allow it as it is stacked in their favour :mad:

would be very interesting /more exciting to see a straight knock out as is group stages are apart from odd game a non event!!!;)

With your idea of a knock out from the out set (like it was) , the only problem would be the possibility of two of europes finest locking horns in the first round.

Although it seems irrelevant talking about it now as (thanks for the replies btw) it seems it will not be possible to create an old-style European Cup, I just wanted to say that I wouldn't care less if the scenario you've just leaned to happened. That's the way it used to be in the good days...

The European Cup was only for Champions, and occasionally an un-fancied team would win.

Crvena Zvezda, anyone?

I also realise the irony of a Liverpool fan saying this as (if it were still the case) we wouldn't have won the Cup in '05, but I feel that the Champions League in it's current format has been Liverpool's downfall. This "4th place is the minimum" nonsense just to qualify. It should be "1st place or nothing". :mad:

Have to say I'm disappointed FM10 won't grant me the ability to recreate the good old days.

....Maybe FM11? :)

Personally, I'd like to create some kind of british isles cup whereby the top 4 who havent qualified for europe in eng/sco/wal/N Ireland would qualify for it and it would get played out on the european dates, however theres not enough specifics on how the editor would work in this regards to allowing it or otherwise.

I'd also like to restructure scotland (for obvious reasons, the structure right now sucks), however again I'm concerned that if i recreate the SPL or whatever it will interfere with how european qualification works for that nation, and without clarification on these and similar matters I suspect that the editor might be more limited than a lot of people anticipate.

First of all this is 100% correct.

What you can do in the editor is this.

Although you can't delete the European cup, you can make a new European inter-league cup in the format your wishing.

To make this a more prestigious contest than the European cup you must first lower the European Cups reputation to very, very low. (So teams will be resting players, entering reserve players. etc.) Then make the European inter-league cups reputation very high with a very handsome prize. Then make the champions of every country enter the Inter-League cup as planned and there we have it, a better, all more important version of the current European cup.

Hence:

European Inter-League Cup - Handsome Brother

European Champions League Cup - Ugly Little Sister

Europa League - F**ked up ugly kid with no friends.

Catch my drift?

It is actually my intention to create a new European mega-tournament as I think it should be.

Every team in every top flight league in Europe gets to play in the tournament.

For the serious minnows in the San Marino premier league, they have to go through preliminary stages. It's all very FA Cup-style, with the relative pub teams

and it's a straight knockout tournament from start to finish, played at the ground decided by the luck of the draw. Final is in a neutral ground.

The theory is that the European money gets distributed about a lot more whilst still rewarding good performances. This should make things fluid without rewarding poor performances, and should end glass ceilings.

But will Blatter listen?

• SI Staff

The main focus for the competition editing / creating side of things has been on domestic leagues and cups. I'm sure as the new editor evolves then the ability to edit / create continental competitions will eventually become part of that.

This is the start of something very special indeed and I can't wait to get started.

im playing cm10 & love it.

once you get into it you find theres not a lot that fm offers thats better & vice versa! althought, the match engine is supperb.

anyway, ill be switching back almost imediately for one reason & one reason only..

compo editor....

The issue, I should think, is that it's much easier for continental competitions to break if you're not careful with them.

but if the editor checks your changes, and tests them (which it apparently does), then surely you shouldnt be able to "break" them?!

Archived