Wonderkids

Is there a way you can tell your scouts to search for young 'wonderkids' only. On FM15 there only appears to be a search for hot prospect and then you have to look at all the descriptions of each player. Just after a way of speeding up the process

The Wonderkid tag is just given to players over a certain ability who are under the age of 21 or something like that.

Set your search parameters to U21 and Current Ability is at least 3 star* and it's basically the same.

*this obviously depends on the ability of your current players, but 3 star is a decent place to start. Rise it to 3.5 or 4 if you're getting too many results.

I think that no matter what your scouting knowledge is, anyone who is anything to do with football knows who the wonderkids are in football.

It's quite sad that in a football manager sim that you have to actively research these.

It is really common knowledge who the wonderkids are in football.

I think that no matter what your scouting knowledge is, anyone who is anything to do with football knows who the wonderkids are in football.

It's quite sad that in a football manager sim that you have to actively research these.

Thats not really right Eugene.

As Ackter has said a "Wonderkid" in FM is one who is over a certain ability at a certain age, while this is similar its not exactly a direct comparison to real life.

You know who you class as "Wonderkids" IRL who play for top clubs or make the headlines but just like in FM there could be some in smaller countries or playing for smaller clubs who don't make the headlines who you've never heard of.

Even just look at the England U18 squad who mostly play for top clubs, how many have you heard of?

Maybe the OP is in 2062 and is looking for some new young talent for his Dover Athletic Champions League squad.

Even if that is true, these well known wonderkids was discovered by a scouting network at some point before they became well known. It's not like there is an instant e-mail sent to all interested in football everytime a new would be star turns 15...

Even if that is true, these well known wonderkids was discovered by a scouting network at some point before they became well known. It's not like there is an instant e-mail sent to all interested in football everytime a new would be star turns 15...

Of course not, but word spreads. Word of mouth, not networks.

I heard of Neymar way before he was signed for Barcelona, in fact I watched him play numerous times for Santos before he was big in FM.

I'm no world scout.

How do you think the world operates, with a bunch of phone kiosks and telegrams?

The game isn't progressive enough in how talent is discovered.

Of course not, but word spreads. Word of mouth, not networks.

I heard of Neymar way before he was signed for Barcelona, in fact I watched him play numerous times for Santos before he was big in FM.

I'm no world scout.

How do you think the world operates, with a bunch of phone kiosks and telegrams?

The game isn't progressive enough in how talent is discovered.

Haha. "OK".

All of them.

Really?

Aside from that Karnack basically pointed out the obvious, all players have been identified by scouts whatever their career path.

In your original post you said "It's quite sad that in a football manager sim that you have to actively research these", If football clubs IRL don't scout & research players how do you think they have knowledge of them?

Its like saying Its quite sad that Arsenal/Man Utd/Newcastle have to go & scout players implying that great talent should just turn up at training one day.

Of course there has to be scouting of some sort.

What I'm implying is that there is a general knowledge of the best upcoming players in the world. I know about them, you know about them and anyone is anyone that is interested in football knows about them.

Should the manager of Rochdale who's scouting network only extends past the perimeter of their front gates know about an exciting young player playing football in Brazil...

According to FM you can't know about this player because your scouting range doesn't extend this far.

In reality you've heard of Gérson.

Everyone knows of him.

The game really should give more credit to who's in the media an awful lot.

I guess what doesn't happen is when a 17 year old is breaking records in 2nd division Russia - your scouts don't pick up on it.

I guess what happens is that when 5 of the top 20 clubs are scouting a youth player in the game - your scouts have no knowledge of this.

Whereas, I feel it should be common knowledge when a 17 year old is up and coming.

Media stories break first, then clubs come looking.

It's not that Barcelona scout the whole of Brazil, systematically looking at teams and individuals and players - they go where the media news is hot, where a player is making headlines time and time again.

And other scouts, doesn't matter about their scouting range, know about these players.

Using nation & league subscriptions can simulate much of what you've said, it's left to the user to decide how much news they want presented to them & what to do with that information.

Eugene; you are a part of the simulation too so there's nothing stopping you using your own knowledge to supplement your FM save. In fact, I would argue that's even more of a realistic simulation that just having the game do everything. After all, managers have brains and knowledge.

I think from a narrative perspective, all that is really happening in FM when your scouts 'don't know' about a player is that your scouts don't know enough about them to produce a report or 'best guess' of their ability. For instance, they have have heard of some whizz kid from Brazil, but since they've never seen him they can't give you a report. That's how I think about it anyway.

For instance, they have have heard of some whizz kid from Brazil, but since they've never seen him they can't give you a report. That's how I think about it anyway.

That's the important bit.

The manager of Rochdale has heard of Gerson, the scout has heard of Gerson. But how does the scout or manager find out anything about that player beyond the buzz that he exists?

Of course there has to be scouting of some sort.

What I'm implying is that there is a general knowledge of the best upcoming players in the world. I know about them, you know about them and anyone is anyone that is interested in football knows about them.

Should the manager of Rochdale who's scouting network only extends past the perimeter of their front gates know about an exciting young player playing football in Brazil...

According to FM you can't know about this player because your scouting range doesn't extend this far.

In reality you've heard of Gérson.

It doesn't matter if a player is outside of your scouting range, if a player has come to the attention of the world (which simulates the media IRL) then he'll appear in your "known players" list, you just won't be able to scout him further.

I really don't see the issue at all.

The whole player search database is unrealistic anyway, as if Wenger is sat filtering on a list of players and prices when he needs a new fullback.

I disagree, at least in this day & age.

Sure the manager might not but you can guarantee his staff & scouts use & have used some form of database for the last 15-20 years.

As the years have passed and tech improved its become far more detailed and key to the job. FM has probably even played a significant role in the development as people have taken ideas & such from the game into the real world.

I disagree, at least in this day & age.

Sure the manager might not but you can guarantee his staff & scouts use & have used some form of database for the last 15-20 years.

As the years have passed and tech improved its become far more detailed and key to the job. FM has probably even played a significant role in the development as people have taken ideas & such from the game into the real world.

I'm sure the scouts have it or similar, I mean it's unrealistic for a manager to use it.

The whole way a signing is requested or identified and presented to manager/transfer committee isn't realistically represented with the player search and right click buy option.

That's the important bit.

The manager of Rochdale has heard of Gerson, the scout has heard of Gerson. But how does the scout or manager find out anything about that player beyond the buzz that he exists?

The fact is he is a wonderkid with high potential.

You should be able to call up a list of Wonderkids that have come to the attention of the media.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/9561509/TEAMtalk-s-top-50-wonderkids-The-full-list

I don't think you should be able to sign them - but at least be aware of the best youth talent in the world.

That's more realistic.

Using nation & league subscriptions can simulate much of what you've said, it's left to the user to decide how much news they want presented to them & what to do with that information.

I was actually going to mention this. It's one of my favorite features in the game. It really makes it feel like more of a living breathing world. And it has helped me identified talent in the past that I would otherwise had missed (I might have to have a chat with my scouts about that :D).

It's wonderful getting all the news items for sure. And I use it all the time.

Surely the scouts would get the same similar news, they're not mindless drones.

And your scouts could compile a shortlist of the best wonderkids or who's in the media this week/month/year etc. of players who caught the attention in outstanding performances for club or country.

The trouble with being able to do this is that it would spoil the game

Achter's suggestion is the best and it will of course be based on your scouts ability to find 3 star players in the first place. Also remember each player who has the promise of wonder kid potential ability needs to get the right level of skill development, the right level of support and the right amount of first team football. what is the answer to this...... ? Who knows

Would Rooney have developed as well as he did at Everton if he was kept in the stiffs at say Chelsea? How many players have there been that had promised and potential but never really fulfilled it?

Joe Cole

Robbie Fowler

Lee Sharpe

Freddie Adu

loads more I'm sure you can think of. Its all down to opportunity, taining and development or is down to player attitude??

Look at some of the consummate professionals like Alan Shearer, Gary Linekar etc who kept their noses clean, worked hard and reached the top of the game

By the way, I said it doesn't always appear. Have a look in your own games. I have knowledge of some very good youngsters. Some, I've scouted thoroughly and they appear with the tag 'wonderkid'. Others don't. They're still good, but they don't have the tag. They need more scouting, I'd guess. When they arrive at the club, the wonderkid tag is revealed.

In my opinion even though you probably should know most of the current 'wonderkids' in world football, the scouting the players and finding your own is what makes the game so fun. So if you knew about every single player that is going to be amazing, what would be the point in scouting young players when you are a huge club?

Archived