If there were no Bosmann......

I'm from the old days when there were no Bosmann rule.

Each Club were only allowed to have 3 foreign players (of any nationality) in the team squad.

I've made adjustments to all the big Leagues and most of the middle status Leagues.

The squad rules have been re-made, so that the max numbers of foreign players is 4.

And in all countries it now takes 7 years to gain nationality.

In my simulation of 3 years the game actually adapts perfectly to this "new World".

The Clubs now look for players of the Clubs nationality, and adjust their squads to fit the new scenario.

The simulation I have run, did show some minor things I will have to fix.

But I'm looking forward to start a new career in this new World.

Have any of you Guys done a similar experiment?

I have John Bosman (the man which the "Bosman ruling" is named after) as my U21 assistant manager. So with no Bosman ... I wouldn't have him.

Carry on.

Yes you would. He was still a professional footballer despite the court case he won. If he lost the court case, he would still be a professional footballer. He would have still gone into management within football.

Carry on.

i did something similar for my Behind the iron curtain database. as i have recreated the world as it was before the collapse of communism i had to rewrite the bosman rule. however, i didn't touch the western nations (they still have the rules that apply in real). i have altered the communist countries only so no bosman there. indeed the game picks up very fast and adapts. i will rethink the idea for the next year and maybe force bosman out in whole europe.

A big part of the transfers are players brought back to their home countries. Top Clubs need to improve their squads, so they buy these players from other Leagues.

I think the prices are not that different. It's hard to say. I've seen a few big signings internally between 2 English Clubs, where I suspect the Price went up due to the competetion of home grown players.

I'm from Denmark and I noticed that the Danish teams didn't bring in many danes from abroad, like the big nations did. The same scenario for Sweeden and Norway.

I'm soon finished with the fine tuning, and then I think I'll try and bring Man U back in the driving seat in the premier League. Will be fun cleaning up the squad and focus on British players. There will of course be current foreign players that will be nationalized because of the 7 year nationalyzing rule. Let's see how the light blue neighbours will handle this new situation :-)

John Bosman is the reason we have the tranfer system we have today.

In the old days each League all over Europe could only have 3 foreign players in their squad.

John Bosman argued that it was a violation of the freedom to Work across boarders as the EU legislation says. There was a trial, and the ruling was that all European people could Work in other countries.

And as AllUrBase mentions, the players were not treated like "slaves" and could find a new Club after their contract has ended. This was not the fact many years ago. Now it seems like the most obvious thing in the football World.

Furthermore

John Bosman is the reason we have the tranfer system we have today.

In the old days each League all over Europe could only have 3 foreign players in their squad.

John Bosman argued that it was a violation of the freedom to Work across boarders as the EU legislation says. There was a trial, and the ruling was that all European people could Work in other countries.

And as AllUrBase mentions, the players were not treated like "slaves" and could find a new Club after their contract has ended. This was not the fact many years ago. Now it seems like the most obvious thing in the football World.

Furthermore

It's Jean-Marc Bosman not John Bosman.

Each Club were only allowed to have 3 foreign players (of any nationality) in the team squad.

I've made adjustments to all the big Leagues and most of the middle status Leagues.

The squad rules have been re-made, so that the max numbers of foreign players is 4.

In my simulation of 3 years the game actually adapts perfectly to this "new World".

The Clubs now look for players of the Clubs nationality, and adjust their squads to fit the new scenario.

Interesting concept but I remember playing CM (and the real EPL) with the original 3 foreigners rule and with no Bosmans and it wasn't so great ...

Interesting concept but I remember playing CM (and the real EPL) with the original 3 foreigners rule and with no Bosmans and it wasn't so great ...

I tend to stick to English/UK players when building squads (with the odd EU import), so to see AI teams doing the same would be interesting for me. All teams with the same policy, would be good to see. :thup:

That's fair enough, horses for courses. I just find it a bit too restrictive and feel the quality of the league and opposition would suffer as a result.

I know it's controversial thing to say but I honestly think the abolition of the 3 foreigner rule is what made the Premier League the best league in the world and brought a golden age of English/British talent through the youth systems (as well as made CM/FM a lot more interesting!!!). I'm glad we aren't forced to build squads where players like Stuart Ripley, Ian Woan, Jason Wilcox, Paul Parker, John Fashanu, Darren Eadie (although he was CM Legend!!!) etc. are you top draw players any more - well not as strictly.

That's fair enough, horses for courses. I just find it a bit too restrictive and feel the quality of the league and opposition would suffer as a result.

I know it's controversial thing to say but I honestly think the abolition of the 3 foreigner rule is what made the Premier League the best league in the world and brought a golden age of English/British talent through the youth systems (as well as made CM/FM a lot more interesting!!!). I'm glad we aren't forced to build squads where players like Stuart Ripley, Ian Woan, Jason Wilcox, Paul Parker, John Fashanu, Darren Eadie (although he was CM Legend!!!) etc. are you top draw players any more - well not as strictly.

Well its an interesting point. I think there were about 6 foreigners from outside the British Isles when the PL kicked off. (Grobelaar, Segars, Van Den Howe, Molby, Limpar, Cantona... not 100% right, but that's almost it). Yes on the pitch things have never been better, and of course when you have huge spending power and your talent pool is world wide rather than the UK so it would be. But there were also things that engaged the fans with the football on a deeper level than compared to this Sky era of inflated wages and transfer merrygoround. I think the CL/Sky/top 4 has been a tragic advance, and a European fixture without barely a native countrymen in the sides makes them an irrelevancy. Of course, what sport, when the money men get involved, has ever kept its soul?

A footballer who works for his mortgage like Bosman needed that freedom of contract, but there was no doubt a league where 8 players needed to be home grown was more interesting and relevant. At least as an EPL follower, international football holds no interest. Other than the spectacle of the summer championships. You can have Colombia v Slovenia and know almost all the players and see them week in week out. There was something more magical about world cups when you got to see the players only once every two or four years. Restrictions in tv and football made that so. One of those quirks of life.

Like a child ofter WWII having an orange. OMG! An orange! Though I don't think though they had OMG! back then.

Well its an interesting point. I think there were about 6 foreigners from outside the British Isles when the PL kicked off. (Grobelaar, Segars, Van Den Howe, Molby, Limpar, Cantona... not 100% right, but that's almost it). Yes on the pitch things have never been better, and of course when you have huge spending power and your talent pool is world wide rather than the UK so it would be. But there were also things that engaged the fans with the football on a deeper level than compared to this Sky era of inflated wages and transfer merrygoround. I think the CL/Sky/top 4 has been a tragic advance, and a European fixture without barely a native countrymen in the sides makes them an irrelevancy. Of course, what sport, when the money men get involved, has ever kept its soul?

A footballer who works for his mortgage like Bosman needed that freedom of contract, but there was no doubt a league where 8 players needed to be home grown was more interesting and relevant. At least as an EPL follower, international football holds no interest. Other than the spectacle of the summer championships. You can have Colombia v Slovenia and know almost all the players and see them week in week out. There was something more magical about world cups when you got to see the players only once every two or four years. Restrictions in tv and football made that so. One of those quirks of life.

Like a child ofter WWII having an orange. OMG! An orange! Though I don't think though they had OMG! back then.

Good post! It's one of those subjects that's always going to split opinion. I, for one, would welcome some sort of EU restriction..it might just make me have an interest in supporting England again when it's not a World Cup, due to a better standard or even just a greater pool of players. However, the influx of foreign talent has its benefits it can be argued; better players for the English crop to play with and improve with.

Regardless, I'm a Millwall fan so I'm used to having no outstanding talent and needing to rely on homegrown players ;) I completely understand your comment on 'summer championships' though, I remember only getting a chance to watch players like the original Ronaldo and co. when International tournaments were on...though that said, I still do.

Back on topic, I think that a database with this added would be good to see how teams develop and how teams like Man City, Chelsea and such (the big spending teams) cope with the rulings. That and seeing teams who have to rely on homegrown talent flourishing e.g. Southampton

It must be more difficult/expensive for PL teams, due to a higher percentage of players being foreign.

Means less players to buy, higher prices and also a shift towards young players and the youth system I'd imagine

Big challenge would be Newcastle! Can't just pop off to France and find some decent talent to then sell 3 seasons later!!!

Would be interesting to play with these rules, although a bit hectic first season? Literally having to sell most of your foreign players. I generally prefer to move towards young players from wherever I'm managing anyway so think it would suit my style.

Are you planning on releasing this database as I'd be interested in playing it as a side game to my main one

It takes some hard Work and patience :-)

You'll have to edit all the Leagues you think are relevant, in the editor.

Under each League you can see what match rules/Index are used. You'll then have to change the rules/index. This is to be found under the nation in the left side. It could be above or beneath the Leagues.

These changes has be done in the advanced rules of the editor.

If interested I can send you a screen shot...

Hi Rama573

The way I've done it, is to create a file for each country in the advanced editor.

I think I've 16 countries changed. So I don't have one DB, but 16.

But maybe it's possible to create a save with all the Leagues. The size is then around 30MB,

I'll send my Brother one, and we'll see if it Works.

Let me know if you would like a save instead..

Hi Guys

An update from the no Bosman World.

I started up with all the big Leagues and a few more.

I chose Man United.

Overall the game adapts to the rules with only 4 foreign players at a Club.

There is a minor bug. I noticed that Chelsea had a game in end of august where they actually had a lot of foreign players playing.

I checked the registration screen for Chelsea and they seem to have registrated 31 player (the rule is 30) and 12 foreign players.

But when the transfermarket was over, the registration was as the rules demanded. So I can live with that :-)

As I play in the premier League, I've noticed som trends.

The British playes are sold for more than their market value and the foreign players are sold for much lesser than their market value.

Examples:

Ramires from Chelsea to Zenit 110 mill New Market value 137 mill

Laurent Koscielny from Arsenal to PSG 82,5 NMV 160

Lucas Leiva from Liverpool to Inter 55 NMV 105

Gaël Clichy from Man C to PSG 55 NMV 65

Steven N'Zonzi from Stoke to St. Etienne 39 NMV 49

From Man U. perspectiv: I've tried to sell the following players

Blind, Rojo, Anderson, Lindegaard, Herrera, Janko, Pereira, Pereira (2), Fosu-Mensah, Vermijl and Fellaini.

I've only managed to sell Fellaini for 80 (NMV 90) and Pereira for 13 (NMV 8,5)

I've offered the above players to all Clubs, lowered the prices several times. At the end of the transfer window they were up for a bargain at 50% their market value.

First I thought it was annoying and frustrating, but after some thoughts it was actually okay.

It's the same for all the Clubs, so we're in the same boat, so to speak.

The reason for a lot of Clubs not to buy my players, is probably that they have enough foreign players in their squad as it is. Or they can't afford the salaries.

I actually had to contribute with 50% of Fellaini's wage the NeXT 4 years, just to get rid of him (maybe some patience would have saved me some Money)

And Anderson was wanted by a brazilian team for 15 mill, but they wanted me to contribute with 90% of the remainig wage for 1 year. (As I didn't sell him at all, this offer should have been agreed on) :-)

The rule for national citizenship is set to 7 years in all relevant countries. This is making the public servants working overtime.

A lot of players are having their papers looked into. I managed to get Van Persie and Valencia a English nationality. And Rafael's is ready for January.

A lot of the big Clubs have put big name foreign players up for sale and even more for loan. They don't wanna Loose their assets and Loose big Money, so try to loan them out.

But not many are lending it seems.

And Arsenal has released Thomas Rosicky. (He then went to Braga in Portugal)

I think a lot of players will be released on free transfers over the next couple of transfer Windows.

If you're not an English Club, there are some fantastic good deals to be made and some future free transfers to be picked up.

Another fun thing is that some players have been 7 years in England and their papers aren't aproved yet, and others will pass the 7 year date before January 2015. A lot of these foreign players that are not registred at their Clubs future games would be interesting transfer targets. I'm currently looking at Obi Mikel and Ivanovic from Chelsea :-)

And by the way Man C has 0 points after 3 games, and Man U has 7 :-)

Hi

If you're interested in trying a World with no Bosman rule, here's the opportunity :-)

It's a fun challenge, I think.

It's difficult to get rid of the players you don't want, and the players you want are very expensive. But it's same for all Clubs, so that's okay.

The rule is max 4 foreign players are registred to be in your squad of 30 players.

The rule of gaining nationality is 7 years.

Good tips:

Look for players that will gain nationality shortly or where the paperwork is on going. There's a good chance thay are on the transferlist at the Club.

If you buy them, they will soon be nationalized.

The fun thing about this game is that you suddenly start playing with different players than your normale game. You have to change your mindset and look for different players and from different countries.

And spending Money on youth will probably be the way to secure your legacy.

Below is the links to the different countries DB

Greece

France

Netherlands

Italy

Norway

Polen

Portugal

Denmark

Russia

Schwizerland

Scotland

Spain

Sweeden

Czech

Turkey

Germany

Ukraine

Austria

England

Enjoy, and please let me know if there are some bugs or Things that should be changed.

Cheers

I thought it was the Kolpak ruling that increased foreign player movements, not the Bosman ruling.

Both did it, Bosman was the responsible for all contract related stuff for EU players. Kolpak added the non-EU regulation.

Archived