Kosovo

With Kosovo now playing full international friendlies, will they be included in FM15? Is it too complex to include a nation who aren't allowed to play competitive matches even just at regional level (as I think other nations in the game who aren't set to be FIFA members still play competitively at confederation level).

Will also be interesting to see how the game deals with the emerging possibility of united football in Cyprus, as nothing from the relatively strong and well-established domestic setup (when compared to other European micronations and disputed territories) is currently included in the game.

• 1 year later...

The best guess I can come up with is that SI have created the Crimean nation as a place to put the teams from Crimea who could not play in either the Ukrainian or Russian leagues. The alternative to this would have been to delete the clubs from the database.

There are no Crimean people in the database so it - all the teams appear to populated by Russians and Ukrainians.

Kosovo would need to be created from scratch.

Not sure Kosovo would have to be created from scratch, not the teams anyhow.

I created a Kosovo file for FM14 and all the teams and leagues for the 3 tiers were already in the database. I simply added the relevant league rules and necessary extra club info, rival teams, stadiums etc etc.

Someone is already creating a Kosovo database for FM16. Not sure how far they've got with it though.

Is Crimea a FIFA member? No, but they are included...

no they aren't. they are in the database but don't appear anywhere in the game

Has Crimea playes official friendlies? No, but Kosovo did!

so did catalonia, greenland, and numerous other teams that aren't in the game. they have one thing in common with kosovo, though. none of them is nor uefa or fifa member.

So why are here double standards applied?

it isn't double standards, kosovo isn't independent state recognized by UN and that is it. as sad as it might be, politics comes before football.

so did catalonia, greenland, and numerous other teams that aren't in the game. they have one thing in common with kosovo, though. none of them is nor uefa or fifa member.

Kosovo has been licensed by FIFA to play official friendlies under their jurisdiction. Other non FIFA teams have not.

it isn't double standards, kosovo isn't independent state recognized by UN and that is it. as sad as it might be, politics comes before football.

I don't know.

It is true that some "disputed nations" (for lack of a better term) like Crimea, Pays Basque etc. are in the database purely to give a second nationality - by the way, has anyone spotted a Russian or Ukrainian player or staff member in the game with Crimean as his second nationality? Would be interesting.

But then why are ethnicities or nationalities like Tamil, SE Asian Chinese and the like in the game, when a nation with a territory (disputed or not) like Kosovo is not? Neither are Greenland or Tibet as far as I know, even though they also have semi-(un)official national teams.

So clearly someone at SI has made an editorial decision to include some of these and exclude others. Call it what you like...

I don't know.

It is true that some "disputed nations" (for lack of a better term) like Crimea, Pays Basque etc. are in the database purely to give a second nationality - by the way, has anyone spotted a Russian or Ukrainian player or staff member in the game with Crimean as his second nationality? Would be interesting.

But then why are ethnicities or nationalities like Tamil, SE Asian Chinese and the like in the game, when a nation with a territory (disputed or not) like Kosovo is not? Neither are Greenland or Tibet as far as I know, even though they also have semi-(un)official national teams.

So clearly someone at SI has made an editorial decision to include some of these and exclude others. Call it what you like...

Wait, Football Manager has Tamil and SE Asian Chinese? Since when?

Since when was Basque disputed exactly? They have it in the game for Athletic Bilbao. I'm pretty sure Crimea is there for the situation with football clubs being between leagues, there's no national team or players who are Crimean to my knowledge.

The game has some non-FIFA members in them, but I can't think of any that are neither autonomous (generally having their own football structure) or actually independent.

Kosovo is an interesting one for the game though, as they have their own league structure, but they aren't a member of either FIFA nor UEFA. If they manage to become one I'd expect they'd be in immediately.

ermm, they are

if you sim into the future, they end up in the nations league

but it's completely unselectable, it's just grey players that play for them

Really, do you have any screenshots of that? That would be very interesting if it does happen.

Here is a list of nations that I can find that aren't actually attached to national teams:

- Crimea - Disputed territory

- SEA Chinese - Ethnicity

- Upper Volta - Former name for Burkina Faso

- Yugoslavia - Former nation

- C.I.S. - Commonwealth of Independent States, the countries of the former Soviet Union played under this name in the '92 Olympics, and it was the name of a larger regional organisation at the time

- Zaire - Former name for Democratic Republic of the Congo

- Great Britain - Played in the Olympics

- Singh Indian - Ethnicity

- South Vietnam - Former nation

- Czechoslovakia - Former nation

- Pays Basque - Ethnicity

- South Yemen - Former nation

- Tamil Indian - Ethnicity

- E Germany - Former nation

- Borneo Malay - Ethnicity

- Burma - Former official name for Burma, this name is still used

- USSR - Former nation

- West Malay - Ethnicity

- Monaco - Small nation

- United Arab Republic - Former Nation

- W Germany - Former nation

- Ireland - Former nation

So, in that we have 13 former nations, 2 special teams used for the Olympics, 6 ethnicities, one small nation and a singular instance of disputed territory.

What is interesting is that Crimea is the only one with a listed continent, though some have regions listed.

I would say, Kosovo not including was no oversight but a decission!

I don't think that's ever really been in doubt. What would be the benefit in including them at this stage though? They don't take part in the official competitions, and if you really want to it's made possible to use them via the editor.

• 5 months later...

Archived