Where next???

Where next? I want to manage in Europe, I don't enjoy LLM and nowhere too obscure.  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Where next? I want to manage in Europe, I don't enjoy LLM and nowhere too obscure.

• England - Championship
    • Holland - Eredivisie
    • France - Ligue 1
    • Russia - Premier
    • Germany - Bundesliga
    • Portugal - Superliga

I’ve been playing FM2009 since release date, mostly as Rangers in the SPL, and also had a wee go in the English Premiership. I’m looking for ideas as to which country/league I should try next.

The Championship in England looks pretty competitive, I would fancy managing any one of about a dozen teams there.

Any other countries people have some first hand knowledge of in FM2009 that they could share. I would rather stay in Europe and don’t particularly fancy anywhere too obscure.

So any suggestions

I’ve been playing FM2009 since release date, mostly as Rangers in the SPL, and also had a wee go in the English Premiership. I’m looking for ideas as to which country/league I should try next.

The Championship in England looks pretty competitive, I would fancy managing any one of about a dozen teams there.

Any other countries people have some first hand knowledge of in FM2009 that they could share. I would rather stay in Europe and don’t particularly fancy anywhere too obscure.

So any suggestions

I'm having a lot of fun managing in the German 3rd division :)

Luton is supposed to be a real challenge.

Maybe return a once-great club to its past glory. Nottingham Forest or Leeds?

Or just start unemployed, random rep, with 3 leagues running from every major country - say, England, France, Spain and Italy (maybe Scotland if you insist). Accept every job you can get and see how long it takes you to get to manage a giant.

I had a great game a few years ago in the Dutch league. There are only 2 divisions, with no relegation to non-league, like Scotland but smaller. I enjoyed taking a rubbish team from the bottom and breaking into the top division to challenge there. It took a while, but was eventually very rewarding to be getting results against PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord.

I had a great game a few years ago in the Dutch league. There are only 2 divisions, with no relegation to non-league, like Scotland but smaller. I enjoyed taking a rubbish team from the bottom and breaking into the top division to challenge there. It took a while, but was eventually very rewarding to be getting results against PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord.

Thanks for your suggestion, at least you read my OP i.e. Stay in Europe & not too obscure, ffs Indonesia......

The Dutch league was one of the leagues I quite fancy. I'm not particularly into LLM so if I went there I would probably be looking at a top division side outside the big three, maybe an AZ or FC Twente possibly.

Don't really fancy Italy or Spain as I've played them enough in previous versions so along with my 'not too obscure' and 'not LLM' preferences, where does that leave me?

Ligue 1 - France

Eredivisie - Holland

Championship - England

Premier - Russia

Liga - Portugal

That's the 5 I'm considering at moment, is there anywhere else I've missed?

What about Denmark or Sweden or Germany?

Totally forgot about the Bundesliga.

Have you managed there?

Any suggestions who I should manage?

Based on my above post regarding Holland, i.e. Top Division side outwith the big three, possibly AZ or FC Twente, who would be the German versions of those two?

Europe and not too obscure, you could try Ukraine or Russia. Both have fairly well-known teams.

I'm seriously considering Russia, do all the Moscow derbies make it harder/easier when playing as one of the Moscow sides?

Thanks for reading my 'Europe and not too obscure', some ppl suggested Indonesia and Brazil!!!!

:confused:

It depends what you mean by 'not too obscure'; Indonesia has the 4th highest population in the world.

I'd go for Russia, I've been there with CSKA before, and the Moscow derbies are alright. Personally I'd try and win it with a club outside of Moscow and St Petersburg now though.

I moved to Djurgårdens IF in the Allsvenskt (Swedish Premier League). Absolutely loving it.

Its easy to qualify for the EURO cup, has a good domestic cup competition and the league is very competative. There's also just enough money to make it long term fun but not too easy.

DSC01983.JPG

:D:thup:

PS: Grab the FMG Logo Superpack for every team logo and background: http://www.fmglive.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6862

It depends what you mean by 'not too obscure'; Indonesia has the 4th highest population in the world.

It's not really in Europe though, although I admit I did say would 'rather' manage in Europe, but still 'not too obscure and rather stay in Europe' - How did you come up with Indonesia? How many people in here can name ONE team in Indonesia without using Wiki?

I read "not too obscure", and you said "would rather".

Moscow derbies are easy if you use the right team talk...

Apologies, I did say rather didn't it, just re-read my OP.

I tried Argentina in FM2008, strange league, no cups and two titles every season, one at halfway and one at end of season.

Isn't the Brazilian league a bit of a shambles though, with various competions, regional/national etc with loads of matches to play. I tried it once away back maybe CM03/04 and gave up after half a season or so.

I'm increasingly getting pulled towards having a crack at Russia though. What's the set-up like there? How many teams in league/matches/relegations/cups etc.?

I'd forget Holland unless you want a very similar experience to the SPL but with foreign names.

I've found Germany to be good.

Try Wolfsburg maybe

Good point re. Holland and the SPL.

I think I'm leaning towards either Russia or Germany.

Any other team suggestions for Germany along the lines of my earlier post about Holland i.e. NOT one of the big 3 but top division club maybe an AZ or FC Twente. Would Wolfsburg come into that group then?

tbh I'd rather not go Wolfsburg or Werder, if you read my earlier posts you will see I play mostly as Rangers in the SPL. I'd be cheering everytime a goal was scored against the team wearing green!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Yep, they're Indonesian :p I agree though, most people can't name any, or any players from there. Makes it more of a challenge ;)

I used to have more time for a 'challenge' before I got married and had kids, I'm lucky now if I get a couple of hours at night when everyone is asleep.

So I much prefer to stick with leagues/countries I know quite well IRL so I don't take a season or so to find my feet, so to speak.

I did used to play the J-League though before SI lost the rights. I did get a file from editors forum which puts the 'real' J-League teams back in the game for FM2009, the J-League has been on Europsort UK this season, finished quite recently though.

I would give the Dutch league a chance. You can hire as many foreigners as you want, they have an awesome playoff system (for the last UEFA Cup spot), and it is a great place to develop young South American players to then sell of for huge amounts of money. I have been having great time with my AZ side.

I only recently bought the game and had a quick run through with Man City to get use to the game bit boring a lot of money not the challenge I was looking for.

So I went and started with Reading in the Coca Cola Championship great league extremely competitive and a 5 mil budget not great but reasonable. Basis of a team there so if you can get up and stay up its a decent challenge especially if your not long after getting the game.

Also a lot of people on ere doing the challenges check the rest of the forum. The challenge to get leeds back to the premiership and in the champions league looks a great one and a few people on ere are doing it.

"Toned down" how? The available budget or the player's quality?

I found I still got loads of cash, but in the first season the really big players weren't interested in signing for Man city and getting the current squad to perform was quite difficult....especially with Robinho being unsettled all the way through the first season.

Good point re. Holland and the SPL.

I think I'm leaning towards either Russia or Germany.

Any other team suggestions for Germany along the lines of my earlier post about Holland i.e. NOT one of the big 3 but top division club maybe an AZ or FC Twente. Would Wolfsburg come into that group then?

tbh I'd rather not go Wolfsburg or Werder, if you read my earlier posts you will see I play mostly as Rangers in the SPL. I'd be cheering everytime a goal was scored against the team wearing green!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

I know I'm late to the party but you could try Hoffenheim in Germany. They are a great story coming from a town of a few thousand, about to move into a bigger stadium, and have a sugar daddy chairman with bags of cash. Albeit they are closer to relegation candidates at the moment but with all the money that can be quickly changed.

france.

i have added france as a playable league as i have never played in that league before but hope to have a go once i get a good reputation and work myselve up to get them intrested. it seems a close league with anyone having a good chance of winning it.

Archived