Results: Database size vs. processing time

Ever since I bought the game about a week ago, I've been very curious about the different database sizes, and what impact the relevant sizes makes on the processing time.

I've been searching the forums for help, but I couldn't find any concrete information, it seems that everyone has their own opinions on the matter.

So, I decided to run some tests, to see the difference.

For each database size, I ran two games on Holiday Mode, for half a season (6 months). I timed the processing with a stopwatch, and at the end of each holiday, I multiplied the results by 2, in order to get an approximate value of how long it takes to process 1 full season in the game.

I also used the program FM Genie Scout, in order to see how many clubs and players were in each different database size.

The experiments were run with all English Leagues only.

I figured someone else might be interested in this, so here are my results:

Small database

Players: 10.535

Staff: 4.900

Clubs: 2.070

Savegame size: 13,5 MB

Time to save: 10,8 seconds

Processing time: 1 hour 23 minutes

Medium database

Players: 11.470

Staff: 4.915

Clubs: 2.270

Savegame size: 14,9 MB

Time to save: 11,3 seconds

Processing time: 1 hour 29 minutes

Large database

Players: 13.690

Staff: 4.970

Clubs: 2.960

Savegame size: 16,9 MB

Time to save: 12,3 seconds

Processing time: 1 hour 37 minutes

Huge database

Players: 29.730

Staff: 14.795

Clubs: 5.040

Savegame size: 24,1 MB

Time to save: 18 seconds

Processing time: 3 hours 4 minutes

Mind you, the processing times will of course vary greatly from computer to computer, but at least now you have some sort of idea of the difference in processing time for the database sizes.

Hopefully someone will find it useful :)

PS: I've kept all the saves, so if someone has any questions and wants me to look at a certain database size save, just ask!

I do have the savegame, but it's saved after the Holiday period - meaning on the 31st of December 2008. Would that be OK?

Also, the file is 17 MB, I'm not sure what the easiest way of transferring it would be?

Wouldn't it just be easier to start a Large db save yourself?

I always thought there would be a greater difference between small and medium databases. Not just around 900 players, 15 staff and 200 clubs.

What spec is your computer?

I agree, the results were somehow surprising...

The specs (on the computer I ran the experiment) are:

- IBM ThinkPad T60

- Intel (single) Core @ 1.66 GHz

- 3 GB RAM

- Mobile Intel 945GM graphics

Not very fast compared to todays standards...

where is the huge data base from

The Huge database option is by default disabled in your 'New Game' menu. The option IS in the game however, it's just hidden in the default skin.

In order to enable the Huge option, download the new panels.fmf file from here, and put it in your C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data (or similar) folder. Also remember to go to the FM2009 options -> Display & Sound, and turn off "Use skin cache" there. Also enable "Always reload skin on confirm".

Now the 'Huge' option will be available next time you start your game :)

I do have the savegame, but it's saved after the Holiday period - meaning on the 31st of December 2008. Would that be OK?

Also, the file is 17 MB, I'm not sure what the easiest way of transferring it would be?

Wouldn't it just be easier to start a Large db save yourself?

The reason why I'm asking is,because my save has become slower suddenly.I want to do some case study :p

The Huge database option is by default disabled in your 'New Game' menu. The option IS in the game however, it's just hidden in the default skin.

In order to enable the Huge option, download the new panels.fmf file from here, and put it in your C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data (or similar) folder. Also remember to go to the FM2009 options -> Display & Sound, and turn off "Use skin cache" there. Also enable "Always reload skin on confirm".

thanks for that :thup:

I don't understand why SI doesn't make this option default... meaning we can choose ot from the beginning. Why does it have to be hidden?

In all honesty, the difference in the number of players between small, medium and large there is pretty small too.

True... it is almost useless being given such choice.. but Ive noticed that a long time ago... FM07 or FM08.

Too bad that the Huge option is just insane as it slows down the game more than it should. With some DDTs for all clubs in UEFA/CL/Top clubs in other continents, in a large db you get a similar number of players but run the game faster than with a huge db... (in FM06 the game ran like 6-7 times slower with a Huge db, than with a Large db :/ )

I was also planning to make a thorough analysis of the difference between the savegames, such as:

- # of players from different regions

- # of players above x CA / y PA

- # of staff and their abilities

Basically, what I'm trying to do, is to analyse the difference in players between the different db sizes.

For example, the difference between Small and Huge database is almost 20.000 players. What I want to know, is how good these players are... I.e.: Is there any point in having a Huge database when playing with a top team? Or are all these extra 20 thousand players just sh*te (in which case using a huge db would only make a point when playing with lower teams)?

The problem is that FM Genie Scout doesn't show CA/PA this year (you have to pay for it, and I'm rather broke now before Xmas)... Are there any good editors available that shows this information? Does anyone know?

Hi SI, I've noticed that processing time in between matches takes longer and longer as the seasons progress. I'm on the 3rd season and it takes ~10 minutes in between games. In FM08, I had twice the number of leagues and didn't notice such delays.

Is there much difference in the time it takes to save each game? As this has been a bit of an issue for me in the past with my not-so-powerful computer.

I haven't tested this yet, but it's another interesting question.

I'll open my savegames tomorrow, save them while timing it, and post the results :)

Hi SI, I've noticed that processing time in between matches takes longer and longer as the seasons progress. I'm on the 3rd season and it takes ~10 minutes in between games. In FM08, I had twice the number of leagues and didn't notice such delays.

This is very interesting. Like you, I've had this problem before too; after playing some years, the whole game seems to progress slower.

You just gave me a great idea: I'll re-open my savegames, go on holiday for say 5 seasons, and see the progress. I wont have time to do THAT tomorrow though: 5 seasons holiday on a Huge database is over 15 hours... But in a week or so I should have the results :)

The problem is that FM Genie Scout doesn't show CA/PA this year (you have to pay for it, and I'm rather broke now before Xmas)... Are there any good editors available that shows this information? Does anyone know?

Now that it is free you can try :p

I'm usually loading the leagues from Argentina, Brazil and Croatia with 'view only', and the leagues from England, France, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Serbia, holland and portugal on 'playable'..

For me it takes around 7 seconds to save, but my computer is pretty new and have good specifics.. ;)

There's a thread in the bug forum that details massive slowdown in early 2011. For some weird reason, I had to wait incredibly long delays between Jan to March 2011, but I'm at May and the speed is fast again.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=80288

Thanks for the heads up mate.

I'll make sure to run the holidays until 2010 then, and keep a keen eye on the processing speeds of the 2010/2011 season.

I'll post the results whenever ready :)

Please clear this up: Does the 'huge' database still mean that EVERY player is in the game, no exception?

If so, I'll do that instead of having to load all players from every nation manually.

Why would you want every player because 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of them will be utterly useless.

Why would you want every player because 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of them will be utterly useless.

Because it's his game and he wants to play it how he likes :)

• 7 months later...

Archived