Cancer?

I remember playing as Manchester City on Football Manager 2011 and Roque Santa Cruz had testicular cancer and was out for two years. I don't know whether it was my eye's deceiving me but can somebody clarify whether it is possible for players to be struck with cancer in FM. I am no troll I am just asking, I swear to god I had a player who had it in FM2011.

Thanks guys

The only reason I can see for testicular cancer to be included in the injury file is if SI had a link with the Everyman charity or such like to help raise awareness of a common & easily treated form of cancer.

The only reason I can see for testicular cancer to be included in the injury file is if SI had a link with the Everyman charity or such like to help raise awareness of a common & easily treated form of cancer.

So the reason that several players have had it in real life isn't enough to make the game more realistic?

Some players die during their playing career, sometimes during games live on TV, should we include that too?

Your original point was that the only reason you could think of was that they must have a link up with someone. When it's far more likely to be because of the Adam Tann's & the kid from West Ham.

there was a Deportivo La Coruna player in real life who had this disease, Molina was his name , he recovered and now I guess he is the coach of Villarreal

testicular cancer is a bit far in my opinion

the longest injury I saw was Dentinho's in my older games where he injured his spine (9 months)

IRL spine injuries can get you paralyzed, watch Mihai Nesu from FC Utrecht

I agree with Acidburn above, there is a line to be drawn where realism is concerned, and a line to be drawn with injuries, where misfortune becomes tragedy. Cancer is too serious and ugly to be part of a game, and has nothing whatsoever to do with football, so the realism argument is not enough.

there was a Deportivo La Coruna player in real life who had this disease, Molina was his name , he recovered and now I guess he is the coach of Villarreal

testicular cancer is a bit far in my opinion

the longest injury I saw was Dentinho's in my older games where he injured his spine (9 months)

IRL spine injuries can get you paralyzed, watch Mihai Nesu from FC Utrecht

currently in my villarreal save, jonathan de guzman has got the same injury and is out for 8-9 months...

I was prepared to sell him because of his injury proneness and now, I have to wait a year until he recovers xD

Testicular cancer is in Nik33's data update. That may explain why. 300 days out plus a potential for another 90.

I have that update included and yes, one of my players is out for 15 months with cancer. Good realism as such, but at the same time really annoying.

no benefit to having it in game imo ..

I disagree. Life can be unduly harsh sometimes and I like it when games reflect that. I'm not saying SI should include it, but I love that it's in Nik33's update.

Back when I was making my own injury updates I had very rare 'injuries' for players getting caught using performance enhancers or match-fixing.

The realism argument doesn't stand up for me as players have died in the last few years and that is also rightly not in the game.

You buy FM13, Player X is out from August because IRL he's out with Testicular Cancer. Do you A) ignore it B) Add an injury that he's out for the next 6 months with Testicular Cancer or C) add a random injury or make unavailable.

I know you're going to say option C, but as a researcher & also being able to see the viewpoint of some of the more hardcore games option B is the most sensible answer. For things like that it's usually for the historical accuracy rather than 'infecting' peoples games.

I'd say go for option B but do not add the injury type in the list of acquirable injuries, keep it hard coded for specific players much in the same way global drug bans are.

I'd say go for option B but do not add the injury type in the list of acquirable injuries, keep it hard coded for specific players much in the same way global drug bans are.

I thought it was that way :) Seems most people are getting from using add on files

Testicular cancer is in Nik33's data update. That may explain why. 300 days out plus a potential for another 90.
I have that update included and yes, one of my players is out for 15 months with cancer. Good realism as such, but at the same time really annoying.

That was last year. This year I disabled it.

The only problem with is is that OTHER 'posters' will want others included and where does the line stop.....including players who get sacked by their clubs for drink/driving etc.......the buck has to stop somewhere.

True, but I think it would probably benefit to be pushed a little further than it is at the moment, humanising the players as individuals somewhat, rather than just collections of stats and attributes. At the moment, a player may well be "media-friendly" or whatever, but that doesn't really affect very much, and in most cases, you wouldn't know a player's personality outside of their profile page.

Cancer is an extreme, of course, I'm by no means suggesting the line be pushed so far as to include serious life-or-death matters like that.

In my personal opinion I feel that IF they wanted to add something like cancer to the injury file they should only do so in the forms where there is such a high survival rate that the chances of death is so minimal now that it's not something to be contemplated. Looking at the stats on the Cancer Research UK of the survival rate of testicular it seems that as of 2000/2001 there is almost a 100% chance of survival, link as follows http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/testis/survival/testicular-cancer-survival-statistics

Except for influenza and flu, i feel that only sports-related injuries should be included in the game. Where do you draw the line? Alcoholism, depression, parkinson's disease, cancer etc. are not sports-related and should therefore be avoided. Imagine seeing something like "Joe Everyman" is unconscious after having had a brain haemorrage in training today and will be hospitalised indefinetly." Or "six of your players have reported back from the Thailand training tour with ghonorrea."

I feel they should stick with sports-related injuries only, and I even find the odd cases of viruses, influenza and flu very annoying.

I disagree. Life can be unduly harsh sometimes and I like it when games reflect that. I'm not saying SI should include it, but I love that it's in Nik33's update.

Back when I was making my own injury updates I had very rare 'injuries' for players getting caught using performance enhancers or match-fixing.

have no problem with rare injuries etc... by all means... but i see no need for actual life threatening conditions to be in the game... its a step too far for me..

as has been said... if you go that far you may as well include Sudden Death Syndrome and have players suddenly keeling over mid game and dying etc

doesnt add anything

and as SI have said a thousand times.... realism for realism sake isnt productive

Except for influenza and flu, i feel that only sports-related injuries should be included in the game. Where do you draw the line? Alcoholism, depression, parkinson's disease, cancer etc. are not sports-related and should therefore be avoided. Imagine seeing something like "Joe Everyman" is unconscious after having had a brain haemorrage in training today and will be hospitalised indefinetly." Or "six of your players have reported back from the Thailand training tour with ghonorrea."

I feel they should stick with sports-related injuries only, and I even find the odd cases of viruses, influenza and flu very annoying.

Pretty much agree with this although the occasional virus/influenza/flu doesnt bother me.

Feel S.I. has done a good job in finding that fine line between reality and going too far with it.

Archived