Shoot from distance PPM - Makes players worthless..

Now this stupid PPM is costing me my season..

I bought in January Shaqiri from Basel with Arsenal because Walcot got injured for 6 months and another two of my AML/AMRS.. Shaqiri is 4 start 4 star player and I believe thats around 185 potential minimum because Rooney is 4 star in my scout reports...

Ofcours before I bought that moron I completly missed he had this great perk :Shoot form distance.. I put him in AMR position and he also switches to AML when injury arrives..Both AML/AMR have Long shots to rarely...

BUt everytime someones launches a through ball for Shaqiri even thou there is space he makes some moronic shot on goal and he never hits even the target...This is just absurd I just checked his statistic.Shots on Target 20 from 65... goals 3 from 20...

I mean the idiot always tries it...There is space to run or pass no problem for Shaqiri he has to take the shot...

Then to make my day my COACH is saying he is not capable of unlearning this move?! What the hell? I am his coach If i tell him DONT SHOOT from distance it should be easy for him to follow.. Now I have to sell this idiot in the summer and serach for another one..Ofcours 5 million loyalty bonus I will have to pay...

This "perk" is jsut stupid. More stupid is when it cannot be unlearned...

He is making me cry.. Ofcours the FANS love him... Luckily he managed to do 2/3 good matches mainly because sometimes when he actually hits the goal the ball rebounds and someone scored 1/2 times :D... I will have to sell him and find new guy.. now I am looking for decisions 15 + I wont be buying anybody unless he has that option...

Some players simply do what they want and it's up to you if they're worth it. Shaqiri has a fairly low Decisions attribute, so one can expect that he takes the bad option more often than normal.

Yep, add in average composure, bags of flair and a not too amazing longshots rating (at least in my save anyway) and its not a good a mix.

To be fair 1 in 3 on target from outside the box isnt the worst average in the world, but it would be frustrating, like watching Nani in real life!! If your getting re-bound goals i would have a look at his goals ontop of assists before deciding to if you want to sell him. Another coach might also have more luck with the PPM training.

I am just speachless.... He just hit 2 first time long shots and scored 2 goals .. its against blackburn but still haha.. I will work on him.. His next PPF is pass instead of shoot I hope he learns it..

I am ahving very hard time with my attacking players... Bednter managed to score the amazing 4 goals in 22 league games and after he missed 2 shots on empty goal I had to sell him while i was in nervous breakdown...

Van Persie whos 32 still with great stats is having "great" succuss with 3 goals in 20 league games...

It is good my defenders are scoring goals :D

To be fair 1 in 3 on target from outside the box isnt the worst average in the world, but it would be frustrating, like watching Nani in real life!! If your getting re-bound goals i would have a look at his goals ontop of assists before deciding to if you want to sell him. Another coach might also have more luck with the PPM training.

Mate sometimes he is one on one from inside the box. I believe those are the times he actually hit the goal.. Usually my Complete forward passes to the rushing AML/AMR . Ofcours Shaqiri manages to miss sitters ... With his amazing speed/flair/off the ball movement the little guy is always in dangeorus position too bad his conversion rate is not good..

The frustrating thing is in the matches you are struggling to win or u are down 1:0 and then the he gets nervous and tries to score from center

I am just speachless.... He just hit 2 first time long shots and scored 2 goals .. its against blackburn but still haha.. I will work on him.. His next PPF is pass instead of shoot I hope he learns it..

I am ahving very hard time with my attacking players... Bednter managed to score the amazing 4 goals in 22 league games and after he missed 2 shots on empty goal I had to sell him while i was in nervous breakdown...

Van Persie whos 32 still with great stats is having "great" succuss with 3 goals in 20 league games...

It is good my defenders are scoring goals :D

I can feel your pain, i have an Aussie striker, scored 20 goals or more for 4 years on the trot, last season he scored 3 in 29 games, this year, 6 in 24 so far, i have no idea how to get him scoring properly again!

I can feel your pain, i have an Aussie striker, scored 20 goals or more for 4 years on the trot, last season he scored 3 in 29 games, this year, 6 in 24 so far, i have no idea how to get him scoring properly again!

I dont know I wacth every game and make isntructirons non stop... My striker either makes terrible miss or hits the bar. If he score one goal I am happy..I cant remember when was the last time my ST scored a brace...

Mate sometimes he is one on one from inside the box. I believe those are the times he actually hit the goal.. Usually my Complete forward passes to the rushing AML/AMR . Ofcours Shaqiri manages to miss sitters ... With his amazing speed/flair/off the ball movement the little guy is always in dangeorus position too bad his conversion rate is not good..

The frustrating thing is in the matches you are struggling to win or u are down 1:0 and then the he gets nervous and tries to score from center

I would imagine having a quick look at his mentals, those are the exact situations he will struggle in, when your desperate for a goal and chasing a game, he will rush things and make bad decisions, a tough one to call really, because he is the kinda player that can win you a game from nowhere or loose you a winnable game.

I dont know I wacth every game and make isntructirons non stop... My striker either makes terrible miss or hits the bar. If he score one goal I am happy..I cant remember when was the last time my ST scored a brace...

I have tried everything with him, never had this issue to this extent in any previous versions! Its driving me mad, he is only 26 so not past it, scores for fun for Australia, but just never seems to hit the net regularly for me now.

He is unlearning now for 2 months :D... He will keep unlearning till he actually stops...

I don't think just unlearning the PPM will totally fix your issue.

Judging from your other thread I suspect your other tactical choices are also part of it. What role is he playing and do you have him on attack/support/defend?

Higher tempo and an attacking mentality encourages faster play (less time to look for options), encourages forward play (less sideways & backwards passing) and encourages shots as soon as they are available. Mix that in with his PPM and maybe less than ideal mental stats and you have what you are describing.

I feel your pain, I manage Man Utd and Nani has this. He barely gets a game. No matter where he is or what the situation is, if he gets within 30 yards of the goal he's having a crack. Tried everything to get him to stop, lowering creativity, unlearning PPM etc. but no use. Ended up signing Navas and shunting him to the sidelines, trying to get someone to take him off my hands. Still, at least its not quite as bad as the last few years, when Rooney had it too.....

I had Xerdan Shaqiri in my team in an old savegame, and guess what, 38 matches in all competitions (11 as used sub) and he managed to hit the nets 26 times, 5 were headers, 6 were near goal line touches and the rest were absolute screamers from way out. I had him training hard, long shots, and later on, crosses. Sometimes I used him as left full back. Bought him for around 8.5M€ in 2011/12 and sold him 2 seasons later for 26M€. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Maybe the tactics you use don't bring out the best out of him.

My favourite was Jack Rodwell. For 2 whole seasons my coaches told me to train him to lose that PPM, and I did. But it always failed. Meanwhile he would hit 25-30 yarders every game and miss them all. Never scored one.

Then one game he scored! A 25 yarder curler right into the top corner. I was so happy.

Very next day, I got the message that he would no longer take long shots. Like 4th time of trying it, and it finally works after he scores one haha.

I managed to 'untrain' him as well, despite my coach thinking it wouldn't work. Took about 2 months (as Bayern Munich). First game after it had changed I gave him a start and he got sent off...

His aggression built up from not being allowed to shoot :lol:

That PPM is absolutely ridiculous. Ronaldo, Aguero and Nani does shoot a few times per match, that's true, but that is not the only thing they do! They pass and cross and dribble and runs like everybody else - but in FM the only thing they do whenever they get the ball, in whatever position and regardless of any other option is to shoot!

I have avoided that PPM since it was introduced, and until players only shoot from distance when they should shoot from distance I will continue to avoid it like the plague (and set long shots to rarely).

Im second season with Norwich and i did buy Taarabt for amc role.I did not watch if he have this ridicoulos PPM wich is crippling him alot so now i must be more carefull when buying players and this is first thing i should watch if buy one.I had Osvaldo Martinez with inferior stats than those of Taarabt and he gave much more assists than him and this is because Taarabt choose to offen to blast the ball instead of giving nice assists to my main striker.

I'm driven up the wall by Quagliarella when it comes to long shots, even though he's an 18 at them, the fact that he has a long shots PPM makes him next to worthless, especially against good teams or chasing the game. He almost never scores. Even if he click him down to "never" on long shots and reduce his creative freedom. He's just obsessed. So I sold him to Milan for 10m. He can't finish either. I haven't checked his hidden stats but he's one of those players to be consistently worse than his shown attributes and CA would suggest, though his finishing attributes aren't amazing they aren't bad either. Whenever I manage Juve, which is a lot, he and Elia are as quick out the door as Grosso.

I've had other players with the same long shot problem. Whether an easy forward pass is on or an obvious cross is available. Long shot, long shot, long shot. Now it's one of the first things I check with a player at a new team or when scouting a player.

I haven't noticed this being a problem and I've played with many of the players mentioned in this thread as well as players like Charlie Adam and Steven Gerrard. In fact, I had Gerrard nearly win the Ballon d'Or at 33 despite this PPM.

I think the problem for others is mainly one of setting mentality too high. Tone down their mentality and they will look for the pass more often.

Same problem with Rooney for my England team. I've dropped him now because he just takes long shot after long shot...

In my England save, I played Rooney as a trequartista with slightly-below-attacking mentality. He scored in virtually every game.

wait until you try using nani :p

i score plenty of long shots with darron gibson. when he rarly sees the ball close enough to have a shot.

Yep lol, playing as United and every time I get a lower team at home I try to keep it patient. Everyone else is passing it around looking to create space until Nani gets hold of the ball and blasts a 30 yarder about the same distance wide. Just had a game against Wigan, team had 15 efforts on goal, 9 of them from Nani, all long range and off target Frustrating enough that I'm even playing Park ahead of him now until he unlearns the PPM.

Archived