Your Biggest FM12 Mistake!

What is your biggest mistake so far in FM12?

Mine is Carlos Tevez!! :(

I Managed to re-sign him for West Ham, fans loved me, he was scoring loads. Then the end of the season came, and he only had one year left on hes deal. So I offered him a new one, locked the wage to 105k and he come back with what he wanted. I was delighted he wanted to stay, so offered him the deal he signed and I thought I had Tevez for another 3 seasons.

But NO... I had missed the clause he had added in, a minimum release fee of 17.5m. Which Liverpool have just paid, now I'm without a top class striker and the fans hate me. :(

Easily my biggest mistake. After starting with 2 years at Forest Green and leading them to 6th and 9th in BSBP (6th was the best ever finish by FGR) i moved to Crewe who were also in BSBP. Lead them to the title and promotion back to League 2 and spent two years with them back in the league finishing 16th and 8th. I then left to take over League 1 Huddersfield.

From day one i loved it. For first time in FM12 had a bit of cash to spend, a good squad and decent finances. Lost 4-3 to Southend in play-off semi in my first year and then finished 7th twice. In the second of thise seasons i had a fantastic cup run in the FA Cup, beating Manchester United (reserves) away and losing on pens to Arsenal in a replay. Did even better in the League Cup. I WON IT.

So going into my fourth season as a League 1 side we managed to qualify for the Europa Lge group stages. In the November i was head hunted for the Sheff Wed job, by then they were 19th in Premier League. The big bright lights of the Premier League took over me and i accepted.

Off i went to manage Wednesday and it (or me) was awful. Won just 2 of my 17 games in all comps, although that was Chelsea and Arsenal. Once into the transfer window i went back to my old club and signed 4 of the players who my scouts felt would be good players for my team.

At the end of my 17th game, a 4-0 defeat away to Reading i had had enough and quit.

As i looked for a new job i noticed Huddersfield had sacked my replacement so checked out the table and they only stayed in League 1 by to points come end of season.

Not only had i ditched a club i had done fantastic with, i had not lasted at my new club and my old team were ruined mainly by me taking the best players with me. To make it even worse i know that Huddesfield will never consider me for manager again :(

Perhaps signing Gary Hooper for 8 million pounds and him scoring 4 goals in my relegation season with Middlesbrough. Or taking MK Dons to the play-offs from 21st after 10 league games and then declaring an interest in the Swansea job between.

Losing Yann M'Vila to Sunderland. He was unhappy with his club and they offered him to me (Bayern) for a cut down price. We agreed to a transfer for around 7 million euros (which is the bargain of the century for him) but then I started negotiating a low wage for him. His agent accepted the deal, but at the last minute, Sunderland swooped in and must've offered him a lot higher wages, because why else would he pick Sunderland over Bayern München.

Lesson learned - agreeing to the lowest possible wages aren't always the best thing.

Two things. I took over Wolves and lead them to the 7th place in the premiership in the first season and 2nd place in the second season. Problem was that my driving forces, Adebayor and Pablo Hernandez were on horrible contracts. Adebayor had a 40% wage raise pr. year and Hernandez had "Match Highest Earner". This meant that by the start of the 3rd season i had 2 players earning 1.800.000 DKK (240.000€) pr week with like 4 years remaining on their contracts. Couldnt sell them, couldnt give them away, couldnt renegosiate contracts and couldnt terminate contracts. Nothing to do but quit

2011-2015 - Wrexham. 4 consecutive promotions and an FA Cup win saw us promoted to the Premiership. I let my contract expire after promotion because I knew I couldn't, and the squad couldn't hack it (I was proved right when my successor got them relegated)

2015-2018 - International spells with Australia and Wales U-21s

2018-2019 - Everton. Late in the 2017/18 season I took up the reigns of an already promoted Everton side. I thought I'd be able to hack the Premiership this time around. How wrong I was. We crashed heavily, after the opening 5 games saw us top, with consecutive losses of 4-0, 5-1, 4-1, 6-2 and the like. I got fed-up and resigned in anger in October.

But all is well now, a 6 month holiday and I've taken a massive step down to manage my favourite german team; Braunschweiger Eintracht. We're currently flying in the German 3rd Division.

Playing as Leicester City, and selling Andy King for 5 million pounds (sorry, spanish laptop, doesn't seem to have a pound symbol!).

A player I adore in real life, a player who just had a dip of form for the month before the transfer window opening in january, and I thought, well, 5mil... I can get someone else good for that! Surely... surely... shirley...

damn.

failing to win the europa league....again, I have never won it on fm, and I pretty much always play to well in the league (so that I get to play CL footy)

this most recent failures involved my Athletic Club side losing to Metalist in the semis, they scored with the last touch of the secound leg to mess over my away goal lead and my Stoke side losing on away goals to Lazio in the secound knock out

it have now gone to point where im honestly consider to botch my league form, or just match the youngsters to finish 3rd in whatever group I end up in....just so that I can have one more stab at EL

Leaving Inter and joining Bayern Munich.

Thought the german league would be interesting. Its not. No restrictions on players means I can theoretically sign whoever I want. Low transfer budget each years means Im rather restricted. I miss my 45m Inter transfer budget.

Sadly Im now too invested in the team to leave and want to use them as my platform for training youngsters to win the world cup.

Mine would be resting my key players ( 11 players ) against AC Milan in the Semi Final both legs so I could focus on winning the league, Ended up finishing 2nd in league and semi finalist. So I bascially lost both. but already had CL won season before and won the league on next season, So it's all good.

My biggest mistake was a very stupid error on my half. Whilst managing Middlesbrough in my 3rd season (second in premiership) I started to attract a lot of interest from other clubs. The West Brom board offered me a contract, and wanting to have a closer look I opened the offer. However in a moment of blind stupidity I hit the finalise deal option rather than walk away! Luckily I realised my mistake before the game saved.

Not realising exactly how the "Lock" thing on negotiations worked properly for ages. For some reason, it didn't click that when a player wanted a higher wage than I could offer, if I locked it then they'd ask for higher money in clauses etc. :(

Signing Nile Ranger...He's a **** on and off the field, argued with my other players dragging their morale down and scored about 1 goal in his entire time with my club.

Sold him to birmingham after one season for less than half what i paid for him and bought Billy sharp instead who went on to score 39 from 40 matches

buying the game on release day :p

Same here. I always wait for the 2. or 3. patch before getting the game. Last year I chose to not buy FM 2011 (I liked FM10 a lot) so I was very exited about FM 2012. Got the game on release day, played for around 12 hours the first few days, than put it on the shelf where it collects dust.:(

1. Installing that Steam crap on to my computer just to play the game, without realising I can't get rid of the sh*te if I want to play the game which was never mentioned by SI pre/post-release.

2. Trusting SI not to censor any question about 1. above, trusting SI to have the courtesy to at least respond, trusting Miles to look in to lads deployed away without access to the tinternet as he promised.

Mine's is by far signing Diego Arismendi for Celtic on a free. I knew he wasn't getting a work permit and that work permit affiliates in Belgium aren't working properly in the game but I noticed that since I was signing him from Stoke it would take less time to get a wp by signing him and loaning him to a British club than it would if Belgian wp affiliates were working as they should anyway. I would have only needed to loan him out for 2 seasons in Britain and he'd get his British passport and I'd have a player who would have been great for the SPL.

Only thing is I didn't pay enough attention during contract negotiations and no-one would touch him on a loan deal even with them paying 0% wages, so I was left with a player on 125k a week in the SPL who couldn't play for 2 years. Obviously he got annoyed at not playing and his attributes declined horribly, by the time he got his wp he wasn't good enough to play for me and I couldn't get rid of him due to his ridiculous wages.

I moved on to Real Madrid and basically forgot all about him. I just checked and he's currently still sitting in Celtic's reserves (injured with a twisted knee), still on 125k a week and transfer listed with no-one interested in him at all. I must admit to feeling a slight tinge if guilt that I unintentionally ruined this guys career.:o

Archived