So call "big four" relegated

Just been wondering, has anybody ever witnessed an AI manager get one of the so-called "big-four" relegated on the game? Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool? Without using editor that is...

I only ask because I am in 2026 on FM10 and Man Utd are now pants, and they came dangerously close to relegation last season but put a few good wins together in the last month and just about stayed up! I was more interested in them losing than me winning by the end - was desperate to see them go down!

Also which AI teams have been really successful in your games? For example Salisbury are now in the Championship on mine, and QPR are the team always challenging me for League and Champions League glory!

Not on 2011, no, but if memory serves Liverpool were relegated on my FM10 save at one point in the 2020s, and United became a midtable side at best for a couple of years. On 11 Liverpool have only slipped into regular midtable obscurity. Everton got relegated though, and with a pretty solid side too. Managerial magic I guess.

As for successful teams, Nottingham Forest have been like, I don't know, a giant yoyo rocketship, they blasted into the Premier League, fought for CL places for a season or two, got relegated, then promoted immediately... and have again been up there in the top six or seven teams! Strange.

I recall Liverpool going down around sometime in the 2010s in an old CM 01/02 game where I played as Arsenal. At the same time in that game, Ipswich were my biggest title rivals.

I also remember once on I think it was CM 03/04, Hull, who started in League Two (then Division 3, otherwise known as the 4th tier of the English football pyramid), got promoted to the Premier League by 2010, with Stuart Elliot banging goals in every division upto the Premier League. I remember being amazed by that at the time and thought 'only in FM would that happen', and to my surprise reality didn't only mirror the game, but bettered it with Hull going up to the Premier League in 2008.

i have never seen any of them get relegated, Arsenal have come close a few times on my FM10 save but havent seen any of them come close.

off topic - Liverpool are no where near the top 4 in real life, surely you should now be talking about the "big 5" with Chelsea, Man United, Man City, Arsenal and Tottenham!

On my FM10 game there have been no Big 4 relegations but some wierd goings on, Huddersfield in the premiership as a bit of a yo yo club, Luton have made it all the way to the Championship, Bolton in League 1 with Merthy tydfil (who had successive promotions to league 2 at the start of the game), maidstone are in League 2. the Blue Square North has a ridiculous amount of fallen teams in it, with Hartlepool, Shrewsbury, Tranmere, Northampton and Scunthorpe all in it. Brentford are in the Blue Square South. This is coming up to the end of the 2023/24 season

The Big 4 are much much less likely to get relegated in FM 2011 because Liverpool got new owner and Man Utd's debt ends earlier in 2017. Chelsea tends to drop to mid table because of their aging squad, small stadium, and fewer sponsors, but Abramovich makes sure that they don't get relegated.

TBH I've probably seen all of them get relegated on some or other version of FM, although I can't remember seeing Arsenal, I can definitely remember seeing the other three outside of the top flight.

I've also seen Real Madrid relegated (poor Castilla had to be relegated as well even though they finished high up the Segunda Liga table!)

After about 15-20 seasons it usually happens, plus at least one becomes 'mid-table' after not too long. What stands out is Chelsea becoming a yo-yo club by the late 20's (09) and taking over a just relegated Liverpool at the end of the 10's (07)

In pretty much all of my long term saves (basically one game for each of FM5-10) Ive seen liverpool relegated about 7-10 years into the game.

Ive seen man united sit mid table for years, sacking manager after manager, but never managed to get them relegated.

Archived