Stupid Amounts Of Money Wanted For Cheap Players

Why is it when you start to get 4 or 5 years into a job players worth 3-5mil start to sell for no less than 10mil + 90% of the time.

Really hampers trying to get anyone in you want as you end up getting priced out by stupid demands.

I'm not meaning dirt cheap just players that obviously aren't "worldclass" just good enough to really improve your teams quality.

this is kinda true and something that should be looked at in my opinion. I have had clubs reject offers of 80 million for players that are worth 20 million. That's just crazy and would never happen in real life.

I seem to remember the Bottomless Pit Bank of the United Arab Emirates ... *cough* ... erm, Manchester City offering some ludicrous amount for Kaka once. That was turned down too, as I recollect.

I seem to remember the Bottomless Pit Bank of the United Arab Emirates ... *cough* ... erm, Manchester City offering some ludicrous amount for Kaka once. That was turned down too, as I recollect.

Kaka, C. Ronaldo, Messi are all players that are worth more then 50 million, those players I would understand.

Kaka, C. Ronaldo, Messi are all players that are worth more then 50 million, those players I would understand.

So you understand it for a top player at a big club, but not neccesarily for a top player at a middling club. I remember the amount of wrangling it took to get a price for van Nistelrooij when he moved from PSV to Man Utd. Remember a large part of a players "value" comes from his length of contract and the amount he is being paid. Then you have to factor in player and club reputations and performance, as well as CA/PA. An example in my own game is 2 centre halves Otamendi and Martinez (a regen). Even though Otamendi is higher in CA/PA and has a higher value (c. £15m compared to c £10m) I would sell Otamendi at about £25m but it would take a club activating Martinez's release cause of £80m before I'd consider letting him go. This is simply because Marinez is currently (and always has) performing much better than Otamendi 7.61 from 17 games compared to 6.83 from 9 games.

this is kinda true and something that should be looked at in my opinion. I have had clubs reject offers of 80 million for players that are worth 20 million. That's just crazy and would never happen in real life.

A club turning down £80m for a £20m player is just as wrong as a manager offering £80m for a £20m player, neither should really be happening.

A club turning down £80m for a £20m player is just as wrong as a manager offering £80m for a £20m player, neither should really be happening.

And yet, I can see situations where I would turn down such an offer.

For example, in my current game as Ajax, I have a regen midfielder by the name of Joris Michiels who is, quite simply, one of the best players in the world. I haven't checked his CA, but given his attributes and the fact that he is two footed, I can't imagine it's less than 190. His "value" is currently around £12m. And yet, I would refuse any offer for him shy of something silly like £150+m. Why? Three reasons: a) He's irreplacable - there are perhaps a half a dozen players at most who could replace him, and they aren't going to come to Ajax. b) The money won't make the rest of my team stronger - the players I have are as good as I can convince to join the club and c) The club doesn't need the money - we've no debts and a couple of hundred million in the bank.

So, there is simply no reason to sell him at all, even for a silly fee.

Sadly, I worry that should I recieve an offer like £40m, the board won't have the sense to refuse it :(

Actually, there is another issue - that the value the game on the player's profile gives is probably the most useless figue in the game. It bears no relation at all to what a player is actually worth.

I agree on your last point there PhroX.. the value of players is sometimes rediculous..

However, I would accept an offer of 80mill for ANY player... no matter how good he is and how much money I have. I always like to play the little business man and always strive to sell for at least as much as I buy for, but preferably more :D - but thats just a matter of playing style i guess :p

However, I would accept an offer of 80mill for ANY player... no matter how good he is and how much money I have. I always like to play the little business man and always strive to sell for at least as much as I buy for, but preferably more :D - but thats just a matter of playing style i guess :p

I would normally agree, but in this particular situation, there really is no amount of money more useful to me than the player is. What good is £80m to me when I can't find anyone worth spending it on?

When I inquire Arsenal for a hot youngster with a 5M current value, they want 50M for him, which is ridiculous but understandable because I already can see that he will worth x2 of that money in 4-5 years.

The buggy part is, I think, after few weeks they sell him to Liverpool for 22M

When I inquire Arsenal for a hot youngster with a 5M current value, they want 50M for him, which is ridiculous but understandable because I already can see that he will worth x2 of that money in 4-5 years.

Out of curiosity, when they quoted £50m at you, did you try negotiating? A bid of, maybe, £15m or so might get them to quote a lower figure (say, £40m). Then you try £20m, and so on. I've had a lot of luck bargaining in '10.

Quoting a fee higher than what you're willing to accept on the off chance that the other party is stupid is nothing new ;)

Out of curiosity, when they quoted £50m at you, did you try negotiating? A bid of, maybe, £15m or so might get them to quote a lower figure (say, £40m). Then you try £20m, and so on. I've had a lot of luck bargaining in '10.

Quoting a fee higher than what you're willing to accept on the off chance that the other party is stupid is nothing new ;)

I offered them about 25M+, so they came up with 50M something counter offer.

It's another way of saying; "Not for Sale"

Take Milner to City in real life....we quoted 30M and got player plus cash in return nearing that mark. Or take any player's move to City in that case!

I offered them about 25M+, so they came up with 50M something counter offer.

Well there is your starting problem.

The players value is £5m and your first offer is £25m+

Why are you offering £25m+ straight away?

without doubt this needs to be looked at...the other teams always offer below value for my players

Seriously do you expect them offering more? Have you ever gone into a shop and seen something you want for say £50 - Would you say I'll give you £70 for it?

Try setting an asking price when other teams are interested (Set it higher than what you would sell for btw).

Seriously do you expect them offering more? Have you ever gone into a shop and seen something you want for say £50 - Would you say I'll give you £70 for it?

Try setting an asking price when other teams are interested (Set it higher than what you would sell for btw).

yes i have tried this..its frustrating but i suppose we all got to be wheelers dealers.I paid 44 mil for a 17 yr old from man united

At £80m as a user you should be recognising that the other club don't wish to sell and move onto others targets or try to unsettle the player.

First of all, unless we're talking about a c ronaldo, messi or a player of that calibre, no club in the world would reject an offer of 80 million. That is a fact.

Now, if I really want a player and the club won't sell it to me unless I pay a ridiculous amount, and if I think it's absolutely worth it, that the player is or will become of the best of the game, I will buy him. It's more of a game flaw then a character flaw really.

How is that even possible, you must have made billions selling players like that.

£2,196,000,000 profit, to be precise :D

I've never really paid that much for players (£33.5m being the most) and I have always been willing to sell players at the peak of their careers to get the best price.

£2,196,000,000 profit, to be precise :D

I've never really paid that much for players (£33.5m being the most) and I have always been willing to sell players at the peak of their careers to get the best price.

And your still doing well. Thats good. I bet you find better, cheaper and younger players.

You can't use Man City as a real life comparison.

Understandably you can use the argument that the other team doesn't want to sell, but the problem is that nobody ever wants to sell. Sure occasionally you get a bargain off the transfer list but they are few a far between. Nearly all of my transfers result in me paying over the top fees to get the player. I wish I could say the same of the AI they seem to have no problem prying big name players away for reasonable fees.

Well there is your starting problem.

The players value is £5m and your first offer is £25m+

Why are you offering £25m+ straight away?

I didn't.

Started with a 5.5M IIRC, and raised 2~3M each time. When I offered around 25M they finally made a counter offer.

Archived