Best Centre-Back partnership you've had?

Ibrahima Sonko and Martin Skrtel in FM07 (before Skrtel was famous). Total cost: £1.7m for the pair. Both averaged over 7.8 for the season, in the days of no decimal places. Sonko won everything in the air, Skrtel covered for him.

Curtis Davies and Mamadou Sakho were immence in my Leeds save. 3 league titles, 3 champions league titles, 2 FA cups, a league cup and numerous other cups over the space of the 3 years they were together. Them two with Joe Hart in goal, unbeatable most of the time!

No pictures unfortunately, but my best centre-back pairing was on FM08 and it was insanely good.

The first was an Egyptian regen Tamer Abou Zeid - my captain and quite frankly an absolute beast of a player - Jumping, Heading, Tackling, Marking, Bravery, Concentration, Positioning, Strength - all in the 18-20 range. Pace, Acceleration, Balance, Stamina, Natural Fitness - all around 17. Passing, Dribbling, Technique, Crossing, Creativity and Decisions - all in the 17 range too. He was a SW/D RC/DM and quite frankly at his peak I would have placed him as the best in the world in all those positions besides defensive midfield (where he could only really play as a defensive anchor due to his lack of flair and shooting ability, but I'm not complaining). He was near-perfect captain material too. A monster at set-pieces and stupidly good as a one-man wall at times. Unfortunately, injuries were incredibly cruel on him - in his later years (where although his pace had gone down slightly he was still an outstanding defender) he suffered two serious injuries (did his cruciate twice) - and this coupled with natural aging plunged his Pace and Acceleration into single-figures. Even worse was the fact that I played a high defensive line and didn't want to change a winning formula for him - so he was forced at the age of 30-31 to play more at right-back (where I played a slow buildup and the full-backs didn't rampage down the flanks overlapping aggressively) - but even there I had better players. So his career did have a very rubbish end and he retired "early" at 34. If he hadn't had those injuries he could easily have tripled the number of games he played in his twilight years.

The other one was a Turkish regen, Aksu Cinar playing for Austrian team Rapid Wien, signed from a young age. His development was solid to the extent I never realised I never actually loaned him out until late in his career - his progression was that natural! Captain material himself as well, but inferior to the aforementioned Egyptian, yet still amongst the best centre-backs in the world. Had a much more even career without serious injuries - however, he could only play at centre-back which somewhat curtailed which games I could play him in.

I did have a third-choice centre-back who was a more physical (if less cultured) version of Cinar - Scot Gary Cawley, signed as a promising young defender from Watford who turned out to be pretty good. Having him compete with Cinar was always a good thing.

I could shut up shop by putting Abou Zeid at right-back or defensive midfield, bringing Cawley in alongside Cinar - I don't believe I've ever conceded doing this - they were that good.

Archived