FM10: "If you could give one small tip that changed your managing for the better"

Never, ever let the Assistant manager do anything or listen to his advice. No matter what attributes he/she's got, their advice is dreadful and it's more than possible to believe that they are working for the AI and want you to lose.

A corollary to my first piece, if he's still on a youth contract offer him one but don't finalise it. Look at the full compensation, take the offer off the table, then make a bid for half the compensation up front. 90% of the time it will be accepted, the other 10% he's already looking at first-team action.

i'll never give my players the hairdryer treatment .

neither will i issue warnings or fines .

motivating and encouraging them works better for them .

i give out warnings/fines for rd cards if i lose the match. A bit of the old Hairdryer treatment works wonders.

Pay attention to the following: weather, pitch dimensions, and opposing formation. All three matter. You have to adjust to what the game throws at you and take those factors into account. In fact, I'd argue that those three + motivation are probably more important than anything else. Play direct and hard-tackling in the rain, don't push up on a long pitch or pass too long on a short one, and feel free to play wide and attacking if the pitch is also wide. Also, don't be afraid to make slight tweaks if your opponent's formation doesn't quite match up with yours, like dropping a deep-lying playmaker - support to a DLP - Defend if your opponent has an AMC, for example.

If you do these things you will win a lot more, and I can't point to a single other factor that's helped me aside from the realization that those three variables are super important.

Point three, if a bigger club steals the young player you've been shadowing, don't give up on him. Unless they start him right away themselves, they'll probably push him to the youths and release him on a free in a few years (or offer him to you for peanuts). A regen where that happened on me went to Real stayed in the youths got released and picked up by me. He scored two on his debut.

Trial players who are out of contract.

Not only will it enable you to view players from countries who you cannot scout, but you will notice they accept less in wages if you decide to sign them whilst on trial.

Try it, go to sign a player and see how much he is asking for, withdraw the bid and offer a trial, once on trial offer a contract and he will be asking for a little less!

Possession football is by far the most rewarding experience. Specially when your team could not string 4 passes together and maybe after one or two seasons of struggling you get them to play almost like Barca.

Touchline instructions can change the course of a game, take advantage of them.

Possession football is by far the most rewarding experience. Specially when your team could not string 4 passes together and maybe after one or two seasons of struggling you get them to play almost like Barca.

Touchline instructions can change the course of a game, take advantage of them.

Possession football is nice and all but remember......trying to play like barca, doesn't mean you will win like barca.

Always retrain players to play in different positions. I've got someone who came to me as a Striker, and was retrained for the right wing, and is now probably playing better than he's ever played before, and is in with a shout of world player of the year.

Archived