Suggestion - Be the current manager

on't know if this has been suggested before, but I think it's a simple and nice addition. Take over your club as the current manager. eg. If I take over Barcelona it'd be nice to have the option to be Pep rather than being myself.

Wouldn't be for me.

But in order for that to be possible i would imagine that the formation and tactics overall would have to be "locked" to Peps preferred strategy, so you couldn't alter too much yourself.

If you did that i wouldn't see it as being that other manager, but just yourself, and you'd be back to how it is now.

Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich, Malkovich, Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich - Malkovich.

:D

Seriously - no it's needed in the game. It wouldn't add anything. How would it change from how you normally play? You could just add yourself as Pep and then copy his stats in an editor then dump the Real Pep out.

But again what would that add to the game? You're just in Pep's head like Being John Malkovich.

But you wouldn't be playing as him? You'd be playing as yourself.

I don't get this... how can you play as someone else?

Look up 'roleplaying', some of us never play as our selves, creating either fictional or based on real life alter ego's to play as.

In my current save I am playing as two managers, one of them is creative, but destructive, beer swilling local boy Gazza in charge of Newcastle and the other is hard working, Ryan Giggs.

I use different tactics for both teams, Gazza favouring an all out attack built from central midfield and Giggsy likes his team to put those crosses and dead balls in there.

But you wouldn't be playing as him? You'd be playing as yourself.

I don't get this... how can you play as someone else?

Like in a wrestling game where u play as your favourite wrestler :D Except you get him to do his moves and actually see him.. oh well :D

This makes absolutely no sense.

If you want a roleplaying game then get fifa or PES or something. That way you can use your mad skillz there.

How would having the same stats as Gazza or Giggs be of any benefit to you? Do you get a message saying "Giggs wouldn't have chosen that tactic!"

There's no real way to implement this in a useful manner.

Why? Why would you as Gus Hiddink be any different or better than YOU actually leading the squad to glory? Why not ask Gus Hiddink to come to your house to give you tips on tactics for the game - because is the only way you'd ever be able to manage like him.

From your four posts, I get that you don't like this idea Eugine, but just because you do not like it, does not stop some of us liking it.

I know you can't understand why we would want to pretend to be an existing manager, but we do, okay.

No it's not ok.

I'll question whoever I like about why they want it or not. I'm only asking questions and if someone can give me a reasonable answer other than "it would be cool to be Ryan Giggs" then I will concede.

Until then it's pointless for me.

If I quote someone and pose a question it's for them to answer.

Right now nobody has given a reasonable example how this would be beneficial to the game so I'll keep asking the question "Why?" every time until I get the answer that satisfies me.

This is a forum, it's not a "please hug my idea and if you don't like it then leave and never post again".

If I don't like it I'll say why and I'll question it.

And I'll keep asking for a reasonable way for it to be implemented where their stats govern the choices you make as a manager. Because right now I don't see what benefit it would be being Ryan Giggs or Gazza.

Because if you choose to be Ryan Giggs you employ a sensible approach? Being Gazza you turn up drunk everyday and be mad with your tactics? That's still you being you and being the manager you, but you're just pretending to be someone else, but it's still you playing it.

Don't be so sharp man. Some people just like to be like that - roleplaying, be someone else. I remember years ago when I got the chance to play WoW, a friend of mine was so critical because "only you would choose to look like yourself in a game lol" while he was a female elf :D

But you get the idea. Seem pretty silly to apply that to FM I agree - but that's just me. If the option makes a lot of people happy I have nothing against it being added as an optional feature.

You do realise you are coming across as an arse? I know you probably do not mean to, but you are (in my opinion anyway).

Now I am not posting this to rile you, as you have been a member of these boards and a very decent poster for a long time, but do have a quick scan of your replies in this thread to see if you think I am being unfair on you.

But before this degenerates into a trollfest, I will leave you with your opinion and I will leave with mine and we will agree to disagree.

Quite amazing how an idea thread like this can turn into an argument :D

Not arguing at all :D

Just wondering how it would be implemented, unless you are Ryan Giggs then there's no point in becoming Ryan Giggs, because you wouldn't make the same decisions as Ryan Giggs would.

So the stats would be pointless.

The only thing that would be of use would be if the game allowed you to see potential in players, then as Ryan Giggs you'd have a better idea than a Sunday League player.

Since that doesn't happen, the only plus would be that "Legend Ryan Giggs takes over as Wolves manager"

Then news reports about Giggs being a legend and winning trophies and stuff.

I just cannot for the life of me see the point in being someone else in the game? I have no idea what it would add.

So all I'm asking is if someone can explain to me what exactly the point of it would be?

Not being an arse about it... I'm curious to read how it would be implemented.

I've pointed out several flaws I see with it, if I'm wrong or you have another idea then please do post it.

But don't call me an arse because I'd like to know how it could be implemented. I didn't insult anyone here so I don't expect to be insulted either, I just asked questions.

It would be interesting. That's a reason to have it. Why do we have 3D matches? There's no reason, it's just more interesting.

To take over a club as someone you like or admire would be interesting, you'd have different favourite and disliked personnel and clubs, and might already be liked or disliked by the fans. I can see how it would add something different, and just be a fun little feature.

Why? Why would you as Gus Hiddink be any different or better than YOU actually leading the squad to glory? Why not ask Gus Hiddink to come to your house to give you tips on tactics for the game - because is the only way you'd ever be able to manage like him.

Pipe down.

It would be interesting. That's a reason to have it. Why do we have 3D matches? There's no reason, it's just more interesting.

To take over a club as someone you like or admire would be interesting, you'd have different favourite and disliked personnel and clubs, and might already be liked or disliked by the fans. I can see how it would add something different, and just be a fun little feature.

Well I don't find that interesting, but if others do then I can't really argue on personal tastes.

But what about how it would be implemented? What value could it add to the game other than a few news items about how an ex-player or manager that you've taken over comes up from time to time.

3d matches do, as they show the match in 3d, it wasn't added for fun, well it was partly. But they held off until they could do it right.

But you know if you want it then have it. I doubt it would be implemented into the game anytime soon. As it doesn't have any real purpose.

If you's want it then carry on. Obviously not going to sway anyone and you're not going to sway my opinion. So that's it really.

Pipe down.

Eh no.

Well and good having ideas, but it's also good to debate the idea and get the best out of it.

If you have nothing to contribute then you're best not replying, as it makes you more of a troll than helpful to a topic.

Best of luck

3d matches do, as they show the match in 3d, it wasn't added for fun, well it was partly. But they held off until they could do it right.

But you know if you want it then have it. I doubt it would be implemented into the game anytime soon. As it doesn't have any real purpose.

3D matches have no purpose for me, I still use 2D because I prefer it. Some people might use this new suggested feature, you won't, but it doesn't mean you have to try to make everyone think what you think about it.

3D matches have no purpose for me, I still use 2D because I prefer it. Some people might use this new suggested feature, you won't, but it doesn't mean you have to try to make everyone think what you think about it.

I don't know why people think I'm trying to make them think what I think about it? I am simply asking to explain the value of it and how it would be implemented. Nothing more.

The 3D match implementation is quite easy to understand, even if some don't use it. I understand why some prefer the 2D, that's understandable.

But if I read an idea about something and it doesn't make sense to me then what's the harm in asking the questions and having a little debate. I'm not arguing with anyone or trying to convince anyone one way or the other.

Just to explain how it would be implemented and the value it would add to the game play.

Maybe it's the style of writing that I have, but I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight.

I am, however, trying to find a good reason to support this, and I haven't heard one yet.

Reasons of for fun and because it would be cool are not valid reasons for me.

Wait, what?

Perhaps I should have said a role playing game of that magnitude where you play as Real Madrid and you can use Ronaldo where his pace and skill and free kick taking stats actually affect the turnout of a game. Whereas taking over managers body in Football Manager wouldn't serve the same purpose, as the skills they possess wouldn't be of any value to you as you'd make your own decisions, so their stats would be worthless to you, as a manager.

Just to explain how it would be implemented and the value it would add to the game play.

Perhaps someone is a massive Arsenal/Wenger fan and wants to play a game where they continue his legacy and his philosophy. They could take charge of Arsenal without a 'new' manager taking over the club, meaning all of the relationships between manager and player would be intact.

Some people may consider this a more realistic way of playing, where you take on the role of an existing manager rather than shunting him out of his job so you can take over.

To be honest, it is a 'take it or leave it' feature. It would make no difference to you if you were not planning to use it, however it may interest other people.

i dont get why you would want this i would much rather see a message along the lines of 'foxes fans sing russell's name as they win the champions league for the 3nd consecutive time, if wanted to see sir alex Ferguson wins the prem for the 19th time or what ever i'll turn sky on in a couple of weeks

tbh, I don't think it is at all that good because apart from the history, what are the advantages. I mean, you will still be managing the team in your style, even if you are a manager who plays with a completely different philosophy to you

Archived